October 25, 2014 | 1024 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 11:09:00 PM More reviews by miafrush

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

after trying a few dupes that were not impressive i finally bought this. plus it has my name, came with free engraving and i found a 20% off cupon online. i have used it for a few months now and i must say its much more gentle than any other devises i have used. it does remove makeup very well as long as you use a decent cleanser. the one big difference i see in my skin is that my pores seem smaller with less blackheads. i only use this on days i wear makeup and overall i think its a good investment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

I received this as a Christmas gift, and so far, I'm really liking it! A bit of background information: I have oily acne-prone skin. I consider my acne "slight" (just the occasional hormonal zits, but for the most part, pimple-free). I do have many blackheads on/around my nose and forehead area, so although I am usually zit-free, my skin still looks/feels congested. I'm currently on two different acne medications, and they can be very drying sometimes, so lately I've had lots of dry patches, even after exfoliating with a face scrub. There was a "dullness" to my complexion that I couldn't seem to get rid of.

Although the Mia is the least expensive of the Clarisonic line, it's still not cheap (USD$149, but you may be able to find coupons and discounts with some research). I've heard much more positive feedback with the Mia than with the original "full-size" Clarisonic, so definitely look into this version first. It basically works the same as the Plus, but with fewer "bells and whistles." It only has one speed function, comes in a smaller size, and uses a magnetic recharger. The size is one of my favorite features. It's easy to hold, isn't bulky or heavy, and since it uses a plug-in charger rather that a charging dock, it takes up less counter space, and is easier to travel with.

I started using this twice a day (morning and night), 20 seconds on the forehead, 10 seconds per cheek, 10 seconds on the chin, and 10 seconds on the nose. I really felt an improvement immediately after my first use. You know how sometimes after you wash your face and apply your serums/moisturizers/etc., you can feel flakes of dry skin ball up under your fingertips? The Mia got rid of all of that for me! Just one minute using this, and it sloughed off all the loose dead skin flakes from my face. My face products go on much more smoothly now, and I can apply powders without worrying about flakes looking more pronounced.

Also, since this works so well in removing dead skin cells, I no longer have to use my regular face scrub. Great time-saver.

It came with a "normal" brush head and a sample of the Clarisonic's own facial cleanser. I didn't care to try the cleanser because I've read about too many experiences where people started breaking out from it. Plus, the tube didn't list any ingredients, so it wasn't something I wanted to risk. The brush feels quite soft. I was expecting it to feel a little harsh, since it's the "least soft" of the facial brushes (the others being "sensitive" and "delicate"). But I was pleasantly surprised. I do plan to try out the "sensitive" brush though, just to compare. Brushes need to be cleaned with warm water and soap reguarly, and replaced every 90 to 120 days. Clarisonic sells replacement brushes for $25 a pop, but I've managed to find many sellers on eBay who sell them for less than half the original price. It's worth it to do some research.

For the first week or two, I did start noticing a small increase in pimples and whiteheads. However, since a lot of users said they experienced an initial purging, I confidently stuck with it. It's around the 3-week mark, and the breakouts are starting to heal.There seems to be very little improvement with my blackheads so far. However, it's only been a few weeks, and blackheads take much more time to get rid of/control, so I can't really assess this part just yet.

I started using it twice a day, and the charge lasted for almost 2 whole weeks. I was impressed! It takes about a 24 hours to recharge completely (maybe sooner if you don't wait till it dies completely). I will eventually cut this down to once a day when I see more improvement.

But yes, so far so good. I'm not one to spend a lot of money on skincare products (I usually stick to drugstore brands), but if I didn't receive this as a gift, I definitely would have bought it myself.

Will update in a few weeks!

***UPDATE: It's been a month. Had to bump this up from 4 to 5 lippies. It's been a month, and I still love this! It saves me so much time with my skincare routine, and I am amazed at how gentle it is... still using it twice a day. No irritation at all. My face feels so much smoother. My complexion looks healthier. Still no more dry flaky patches! I'm no longer experiencing "purging" and my skin is now getting under control. I still have some leftover hyperpigmentation spots, but they appear to be fading much faster. Slight improvement with blackheads... definitely fewer, and not as dark. Easier to extract too. I wasn't expecting miracles with my blackheads overnight, but I expect to see further improvements within the next couple of months. Will update again!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 1:49:00 AM More reviews by rheaZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The Mia is the best thing that ever happened to my skin. I have been using it for almost a year. I use it with Cetaphil for Normal-Oily skin and follow it up with moisturizer, which is a must.

Over long term use, the Mia has:

- Drastically reduced my cystic acne
- Faded old scars and craters
- Made my skin noticeably smoother.

A single charge lasts me about 3 weeks. I use it once a day. I used to use it by the sink, but in my personal experience it's a lot more effective during a hot shower, especially if your pores have had a chance to steam open a bit. It also helps to lather up your face well before you use the Mia, since the brush can get a little abrasive otherwise.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 11:30:00 AM More reviews by onethousandcurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 02/07/11: I've been using this once or twice a day for a while now, and I really enjoy it! My skin stays clearer more consistently, and any acne that flairs up goes away a LOT faster than in the past. Keeps the flakes at bay. Only needs charging every couple weeks. When I replace the brush, I'll definitely go for the delicate over the sensitive, and I'm not even that sensitive. It feels kind of harsh sometimes. I also have given up on foaming anything, they're just not necessary and I'm now using Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream Cleanser, which is great paired with the Mia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used this twice in the last 3 days, so I'll update with my experiences down the line.

But as far as initial impressions go, I'm quite happy with this! I've only been using at night AFTER I've removed my makeup. I've so far been using the trial cleanser that came with it, but since it doesn't foam I can't really see where I have cleanser and where I just have water, so once I finish that I'll be returning to my usual baby shampoo.

It's definitely left my skin much smoother and softer than any previous products I've used to exfoliate, although this isn't meant to exfoliate, per se. My skin does seem a little brighter, and it's making my healing acne disappear faster.

I haven't noticed a decrease in oil, but then I'm not really an oily person. If anything I can be a tad dry, and I really was hoping the Mia would help alleviate these dry patches scattered over my cheeks. It has improved that somewhat, and moisturizer sinks in faster and I don't need as heavy duty a moisturizer, either.

I'll update in a few weeks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 5:58:00 AM More reviews by ValentinaRUS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using it for more than six months. I'm using the sensitive brush head, and I love it. I have bought four replacement heads that will last me a year since you have to replace heads every three months. I use it every night, and it cleanses really well. I'm pretty sure I will keep repurchasing the replacement heads for a long time (if not forever).
Update: I tried using it to remove my makeup and it totally failed to do that. I'm so over the hype with Clarisonic. I think that great non-comedogenic cleansing oil paired with a miscellar solution will be a better choice. If I'm wrong, I will report back

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 7:26:00 PM More reviews by reztyle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought my white MIA few days ago and I love it! First time I honestly can say my skin was sooo smooth that I ran in the bedroom and told my husband to touch my face with the back of his hand. At first he was hesitant saying it's a gimmick and why don't I just use another brush head with our Clarisonic tootbrush for my face and not cough up $160+, that's including tax. But after he touched it with hesitant said my skin is soft, but then again he says my skin is always soft.
Anyway, I bought the white one because I am going to get another brush head for him and get him to use it and I figured he'll use the white one instead of a colored one.
I know it's only been a few days but I've noticed a change already. My face isn't as oily and it seems like my skin absorbs my moisturizer faster. I use it twice a day with my Philosophy cleanser and I would def suggest this to my friends and family.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 6:16:00 PM More reviews by karinad

WOW!! Love, Love!! I was looking to buy the original Clearsonic but hesitated because of the $200 price tag. Then I discovered the Mia and bought it on the spot!! It leaves my skin clean and it helps with my problems zone at my nose (black heads).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 5:15:00 PM More reviews by lathibad

It took about a month for me to experience a noticeable improvement in my skin. The first week, I did have a few breakouts, but now my skin is totally clear. I'm not sure this product will prevent breakouts. I am on birth control pills and antibiotics to control acne (my acne is hormonal though). What I have seen this product do is even out my skin tone and texture. I do believe products soak in better, and my makeup looks much, much cleaner. I used to have to wear a moisturizer, and my skin would still have dry patches. Now, everything is smooth and even. My pores do look smaller. It is really amazing how much makeup and other stuff the Mia takes off every night. As other reviewers have commented, it leaves you skin feeling like you just had a facial. If my Mia broke, I would run out and purchase a new one the same day. Like I said though, it took approximately a month before I noticed a difference. Not a miracle, but totally worth sticking with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by AshleyMegan00

Was begging for this as a Christmas gift and I got it! It's amazing! It's literally like a mini facial every night. I have noticed that I've started to break out a little more within this first week of using it. However, I believe that's because it's deep cleaning. Similar to how one would break out after a deep facial. Anyway, I love this, you can literally feel it going deeper into your skin! I also have a glow now when my skin is bare. The best present ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 4:23:00 PM More reviews by CherylDavid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

WOW! I finally gave in. BEST INVESTMENT. Worth every penny and all the hype. In less than 2 weeks this has transformed my complexion. This paired with my Korres yogurt cream and mask I'm pretty close to foundation free skin.