November 24, 2014 | 1971 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Lisaanthony7

I really wanted to love this product.I have never spent this much on a foundation before,and I read all the reviews an did sooo much research and decided to invest in this in the shade cylan. It did match my skin perfectly and gave it a nice finish,but after about an hour my face was already shiny and my face is never that oily! I will be returning this product and trying out makeup forevers matte velvet,hopefully that works out good for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Petunia1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product in the shade Punjab. For reference, I am a NW30 in MAC Foundation and my old NARS foundation shade (the discontinued foundation) was Budapest. I have combination skin so I felt like Nars Sheer Glow worked well to absorb oil and create a luminous look without making my skin shiny. Although this is "sheer glow" foundation, the coverage in my opinion is more of a medium-buildable. I have been using NARS foundation for years and I've always felt like it was the best, especially color-wise.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 10:27:00 AM More reviews by PattyLovesMakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

My go to nighttime foundation. I adore this foundation so so so much. I like to wear it at night because it doesn't have SPF, so it's great for photos as well. I love how this makes my face look. It's not a heavy coverage, which I prefer. It gives my face a beautiful glow. I love it and I think it's worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 7:05:00 PM More reviews by GreekLady22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is an nice foundation. Gos on smooth and feels weightless. I didn't noticed any *Glow*. I found it to be very sheer very little coverage, for myself I wear foundation to even out my skin and it's does that. Its buildable coverage tho. The best thing about this product is .. I have yet to break out!! Knocks on wood. I have very sensitive skin and nearly everything breaks me out ESP foundation, loved M.a.c studio fix awesome coverage flawless but it broker me out badly.

I hate that there's no pump! WTH

I hate the packaging it gets dirty so quick , smudges all over and everything.
Will Rebuy!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I really wanted to love this foundation, based on all of the rave reviews online. I tried it in the color Deauville, which was a decent match for my NC20ish skin. At first, I was really amazed with the coverage that this gave - I hardly needed concealer on my undereye circles or acne spots. But, fast forward a couple of hours, and my love affair ended there.

This foundation just "sits" on the skin, and in oily zones of the face, it will wear off in patches. I have tried using with primer underneath, with powder on top; applying with fingers, with sponge, and with brush -- all to the same end effect. It starts off looking great and gives flawless skin, then looks like a hot mess.

Overall, I would sadly NOT recommend this foundation. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2011 8:06:00 AM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After another morning of trying to make this foundation work for me, I've decided that I really don't like it. I bought it while I was living in Thailand, when my skin was oily, and I had no problems with it. I even bought two colours, one matching me while I was in Thailand, and one I could use after I returned home. However, I can't use this at home. My skin is not extremely dry, it's dry to normal, but for some reason this foundation has a talent for finding dry patches, even those that are not visible to the naked eye, and cling to them. I always end up looking cakey and I always have to remove this foundation after I've applied it because I don't feel comfortable going out like this. For a foundation that is this expensive, I expect a lot more. However, I think it could work well for oilier skin types, as it did work OK for me in Thailand. In addition, a foundation this expensive should come with a pump, it's as simple as that.
Would not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by muffinlove

I love this foundation and will buy it again but why oh WHY does not have a pump on the bottle?

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2011 12:37:00 PM More reviews by OMGLookAtHerButt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation!
The good things: the finish is gorgeous, it makes me look like I have amazing skin naturally and doesn't look at all like I'm wearing make up. The coverage is just enough to hide any redness or slight discolourations, but not so much that my skin looks unnaturally perfect (a problem I have with most MAC formulations and the MUFE HD). It doesn't look or feel heavy, yet it does it's job to make my skin look beautiful.
Now the downsides: it tends to look ashy in photographs (which is why I took one lipstick off). I'm not sure if this is a problem with the formula or the colour selection, but the Punjab looks great on me in person and terrible in some pictures (depending on lighting). Second, price, it's $55 in Canada! Ridiculous. It's something I'll put up with because of the quality of the product (and since I don't wear it often, it lasts me forever), but I could do with a smaller price tag! Also I will agree with some reviewers that it does tend to accentuate dry areas, but this is rarely a problem for me as my skin is more on the oily side. Last, the lack of pump is very annoying and it's irritating that Canadians can't even purchase it separately.

All in all though, great foundation, and the best I've tried.

For reference, my skin is:
-Normal to oily, no acne, few discolourations
-Medium coloured (I am East Indian), the tone commonly associated with Northern Indians or Middle Eastern people.

I tried:
-Punjab (good in person, ashy in some pictures depending on lighting)
-Santa Fe (slightly too yellow in person, ashy in some pictures depending on lighting)
-Stromboli (a little too light, not sure why it comes after Punjab on the spectrum + ashy in some pictures depending on lighting)
-Barcelona (slightly dark in person so it looks heavier, great in pictures)

Applied with:
-fingers: good coverage but sometimes uneven
-beauty blender sponge: looks amazing
-MAC 190: applies too heavy

Hope this helps!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2011 11:59:00 AM More reviews by ktcyrus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For reference I have dry, dehydrated skin which cystic acne on my forehead. I am about a MAC NC 25, with very yellow-olive undertones. In the past, before I worked for MAC, I'd often got matched to very dark colours like NC40 because my skin is so olive. therefore I owned 34 foundations before I got Nars Sheer Glow last summer (so I was around NC30).
But since working for MAC in 2006 I refused to buy Bobbi Brown, Nars, Illamasqua or any of the others I felt were competitors. But I had heard so much about Sheer Glow, deep inside I wanted to give it a whirl. Whilst in London last summer, I decided to try Nars Sheer glow at Space NK, after all I hadn't worked for MAC for 3 years and a half years and it was only a part-time student job.
I was matched to Stromboli by the SA and it just looked wonderful on my skin! But I was sceptical, because I've often seen products look amazing on me at the store, but once I've taken it home, I've detested the products. Hence why I have an astounding collection. But this time, even my mum was suprised! (and that is something, because she always tells me "its too light, too dark, too cakey, too sheer"). I bought it and I wore it EVERYDAY! But as the bottle was coming to an end and my tan had faded, Stromboli was no longer beautiful on me and I now started to look jaundiced.
I went back to London in October, but this time to Selfridges. I was trying to find a yellow undertone in one shade lighter and I picked out Punjab but when the MUA came over he suggested I should try Ceylan. I looked at it and just thought he was insane because it looked so pale. But he insisted. So he slapped on Ceylan with some custard concealer under the eyes, some Ginger concealer on my hyper-pigmented areas. He set it with the powder foundation in Fiji and put a bit of Laguna bronzer on me with a bit of Orgasm blush. I looked in the mirror and I was SHOCKED! I bought the whole lot!
This foundation was just superb! and trust me when I say this because its taken me almost 6 months to admit on here that this is better than MAC could ever provide me. It was velvety smooth, melted into my skin like butter. Just enough coverage. You could still see my freckles but the redness, the green veins and the purple spider veins - ALL GONE! Something I couldn't achieve with any MAC foundations without plastering on alot of different products. This looked like my skin, but better! But that's only a minor thing. The finish is satin I would say, not dewy and not matte.
With a good primer it can last on me for ages. I was working an 18 hour shift at the hospital recently on call. During the shift I slept, changed scrubs 4 times. Scratched my face many times in wonder about diagnosis of my patients. and WOW! at the end of my shift, sheer glow was still there! Obviously not as good as good as when I applied it, but on my skin it lasted amazingly well.
There are a couple of downsides but nothing you can't fix. I have dry skin and I find it does tend to cling to dry areas but I apply a good moisturiser and there is no problem. There other thing is the pump factor which I understand can be a pain for some people. I was annoyed at the beginning about how unhygienic it was to not have a pump. I bought the pumps and then realised I liked the original "finger over the opening, tipping once and using what you have left on your finger" method because 2 tips or maybe 3 gives me enough coverage. Which leads to my third point, I dont feel this foundation is too buildable. If I try to build a little too much, I feel it can look cakey and defeat the objective. Therefore if I need the extra coverage on the day, I will use my Nars Power foundation on top.
This is the best foundation ever, the love of my life for whom I've been waiting for! It's the only thing I now wear.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by buttercup16

I was color matched to Deauville, for reference I am usually an NC25 in MAC but right now I think I'm closer to NC20 because of the winter. I have dry sensitive skin so I thought this would give me a nice dewy glow, and while I admit it wasn't glittery like MAC's mineralize satinfinish foundation, it is definitely NOT a good foundation for anyone with dry or flaky skin. I felt like this covered my redness very well and looked pretty good on my face except where I had dry spots. That was my main problem with this foundation, that it stuck to my dry skin and made it stand out, if it was more moisturizing I would have liked it a lot more. I gave this 3 lippie's though because for anyone with normal or oily skin this foundation will probably look amazing on you, just don't be fooled by the name "Sheer Glow" because it does anything but that for someone with dry skin. I believe I paid about $42 for it, but I will be returning this on my next trip to Sephora.