Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder

3.6

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide 12, Zinc Oxide 4.2.INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Zinc Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lauroyl Lysine, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate

I'm a big fan of the Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Face Powder (the pressed powder version), so I was more than open to trying this out. But this loose powder wreaked havoc on my oily skin, making it much much more oily! In several pictures in which I was wearing this powder, my face almost looks wet EW. And loose powder is so messy to use! There was powder EVERYWHERE. I'm definitely going to go back to the pressed powder.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this. Last summer I got this in medium beige worked fine. After the summer, when school started again it looked way to orange on me and i put it away. Recently, I just bought it in natural beige and it's amazing. I can layer it without it looking too cakey and it hides discolorations and blemishes well. This never broke me out either like it claims. I would definitely buy this again but there's so much in the pack, it'll last me for a very long time!

I got the Translucent Medium in hopes that my light olive skin could better tolerate a slight mismatch in a powder product than in a liquid. It's a tad dark but is easily blended to look natural on my skin. On my first day of this, I used it over a light foundation I thought made me look pasty and had poor coverage. This evened everything out nicely! Also, this covered up a rash on my neck from some other foundation I had been sampling without irritating it further. I've had good luck with the PF compact version as well. One lippie off for the truly horrid brush. If this starts to give me the horrific breakouts other members are getting, I will update. 2nd day: wore this over nothing, allpied with Bobbi Brown kabuki. Used multiple layers over blemishes and dark circles. This looks fabulous and natural!

I shoulda known better. Really. I tried the pressed version of this powder back when it debuted in drugstores and liked it at first, then it began breaking me out, very badly. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before: lots of big cysts + lots of clogged pores that actually had surfaced (sorry to the skincare experts out there, but I'm probably misusing my terms) but were almost impossible to get rid of. It was truly horrifying--I'd had relatively clear skin for years and years before trying the Mineral Wear powder.

Anyway, that long-winded intro. is leading up to the fact that this new loose powder has done the same number on my face as the pressed version. Fortunately, I noticed the problem in time to stop using it before my face got really bad and I ended up with scarring.

I got this about two weeks ago and have been using it on-and-off since then. I loved the coverage it gave--light but buildable--and the fact that it seemed to diminish the appearance of some faint discolorations/marks I had, so that I could skip concealer (except around my eyes). I also liked that it was a powder, and not contributing to any T-zone shine/oiliness but gave a very natural-looking, almost non-matte finish. It was as dewy as a powder could get but there were no obvious little specks of shimmer on my skin. I found the packaging to be a bit clunky (as with many PF products) but cute and well thought-out. The brush was densely-packed and stiff, but didn't feel too harsh/scratchy on my face and did a good job of "buffing" on the powder. Plus, it made a good finishing powder if I used a big, fluffy powder brush. And "Light Translucent" (I think that's the name) was a good match for my LLL/AAB skintone.

I wasn't using this stuff everyday, saving it only for days when I wanted a bit more coverage than my Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate would give. But I noticed last week that I was starting to break out a bit. I got some clogged pores on my cheeks/nose and the beginnings of zits in my T-zone (especially my forehead). I kept using the powder, thinking that it was merely the long-awaited purging from the OCM (oil-cleansing method--check out essentialdayspa.com for more info. about that) but it continued to get worse and worse, with new monster zits popping up daily. I've stopped using this stuff and begun my usual BP + salicylic acid treatments for this kind of breakout. Nothing else in my routine has changed so I'm blaming the Mineral Wear powder for it. It's too bad this stuff does awful things to my skin because I really liked it as a powder foundation.

Final note is that I followed a reviewer's advice below and washed the included brush several times (in baby shampoo + JASON's Natural Jojoba Shampoo) and found that the bristles actually felt even pricklier afterwards. The bristles were also no longer as dense-feeling and there was some shedding.

Overall, this was a disappointing product for me. continued >>

I had to try this after reading all the reviews here. I have been a BE user for a couple years now and am thrilled with the PF!!!! I find the color to be less yellow and more natural looking on my skin. I just wish it was easier to see and try all the colors. The one I picked seems good - but I can't help but wonder about the others. I sat on the floor in CVS and took them out of the cardboard to compare with my BE. The brush is a little harsh but would do in a pinch. I will be putting this into my BE compact for easier application. I will definitely repurchase and recommend this highly.

This is a GREAT product. This powder makes my skin look exquisite and I am not exaggerating here. Don't care about the packaging & the 12 bucks I spent because I get great results. And the brush is okay. I find it does a good job. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this product.

In pics, I've noticed that I sometimes have a "greasy" rather than a "glowy" look that I was aiming for. Gross! The culprit is definitely my combo skin with greasy t-zone!
My husband remarked to me that my skin looked great with this mineral wear powder on, not oily/shiny as it sometimes does. I have combination, medium toned Asian Skin. In the past I used Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and used jurlique loose powder but would still look greasy no matter how much I blotted.

But yesterday, I bought this after all rave reviews. I am using this now instead of my dewy LM TM. I applied moisturizer as others recommended, after it soaked in, then this powder in beige (I avoided right under my eyes as it made that area caky), and I looked very polished professional, like I had satiny-smooth tan beautiful skin but still somehow glowy (semi-matte but not entirely). Like others, still need concealer for slight red areas around my nose etc. By the end of the day there was the usual shine on my t-zone but this time it looked alot less greasy and more dewy though if you have combo skin like me I'd recommend having some blotting sheets in your purse too, just in case. Also to highlight I just very lightly applied SB highlighting powder with a lancome brush that picked up powder very sparingly and applied loosely over my t-zone just for a slight luminescent effect and I looked glowy without looking greasy. I will probably bring the powder with me on the road for touch ups if my skin starts turning greasy again. If you can, try the tester on at the store (if they have) before buying. I don't mind the brush though it is small but I use a large lancome kabuki brush for it.

OMG! I LOVE this powder. Thanks to the MUA reviews, I went and bought this at Wal-Mart and it is truly incredible! I haven't tried BE or anything like that, but it wouldn be pretty remarkable to me if they were better than this! It makes my face look naturally beautiful, gives light-medium coverage, and still lets my freckles/beauty marks show, which I LOVE. The price is pretty decent for what you get...kind of high for a drugstore product, but the quality is amazing! The packaging, however, sucks. And so does the brush, but I use my own. I also agree with the below reviewer who said buffing this over foundation makes your skin look totally flawless!! But I like it by itself for normal use.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've been using this for two weeks now, and I'm amazed at how great the coverage is, yet still very natural. I took one lippie off because the finish is a little shinier than I prefer, so I usually do a quick buff of Maybelline loose powder to finish things off, and I also don't care for the brush that is included (VERY stiff, so I use a very soft dome brush I acquired a couple of years ago, and that works well). It lasts through the day and even though I get my usual shiny spots, blotting with a tissue takes care of it without disturbing the coverage. I have not found it to be at all irritating and I actually like the packaging - my top is not that hard to pull off to get to the sifted powder and I use the dome to tap off the excess. I think I am now in love with powder foundations (also love CG's TruBlend), and the PF loose mineral will definitely stay in my makeup bag. Of course, the true test will come this July and August - I'll update my review if I find that it cannot weather DC's notorious heat and humidity.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The lid doesn't stay on too well, so I wouldn't recommend taking this out. Besides that, this is an excellent loose powder. I didn't find the brush to be scratchy; in fact, it works well, but it is a tad bit on the small side. This powder gives a lovely satin finish, and controls oil fairly well--about three to four hours, in my case. It didn't break me out and didn't cause any irritation, either.

UPDATE: Realized this makes me look a little cakey after a while. I'm moving on to a sheerer powder. Also, after trying out some higher quality brushes out, I would have to say the included brush is, in fact, a bit on the scratchy side. ;) The bulkiness of the container (thanks to the round lid) makes this not so portable, as well, so I'll have to take a little off from my previous score of 4/5 lippies.