Chanel No.5

3.5

on 2/5/2005 5:47:00 PM

I agree...this scent isn't for everyone. I have worn it for 10 years now and STILL love it. It is my standard Fall/Winter scent. Incidentally, I am 32 years old. I definately don't find it mature smelling...just sophisticated.

on 2/3/2005 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ladies no need to get angry! Chanel #5 is not for everyone, myself included. I think most of us have smelled this on someone older ie. Grandma or Mom. That's why we feel it smells more mature. It takes a certain women to pull this fragrance off. I prefer softer fragrances like Marc Jacobs. But let's face it, Chanel #5 must have something special it's been around for a long time.Overall a strong statement perfume, if that's what your looking for.

on 1/29/2005 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

So this is an unspoken tradition for us gals. Reading other reviews, I laughed because this too was a gift from my mother--- and she bought it for me because her mother wore it all the time. I like the smell everynow and then. Its a very comforting winter/spring scent - too heavy for the dog days of summer! Its DOES have a strong powdery scent, which usually doesn't work well with me- however chanel No 5 didnt seem to have that effect. Its a parfume that everyone should try once!

on 1/29/2005 11:45:00 AM

Whether you love it whether you hate it, this is probably the best known-of perfume in the world. I do love it myself but I don't wear it because I have smelled it for just about my whole entire life and I don't feel right with it on and it makes me feel like I'm just borrowing some of it. Chanel No. 5 is what Momma has just about always had. She never did wear it much because it was so expensive and when I was little we were poor on account of Daddy being so sick so she made everything last for as long as she could. He tried to keep a bottle of it for her though and I think he loved it more than she did, he said he had to go all the way to Atlanta to buy it and that was back before they fixed the highway and it took you a long time back then to get to Atlanta, not like now. Momma has just here lately started to want more perfumes on account of me waving so much under her nose but she likes just about all of them which could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing depending on how much she puts on of what. Anyways she said that the first time she ever smelled Chanel No. 5 was back when she was in high school and one of her teachers had just got out of college? This teacher's daddy liked to give her a lot of money because he wanted her to come on home and she had just about everything she could want, prettier clothes than anybody else with jewelry and perfume and this little red convertible car, she taught school for just one year and then she went off and got married and went on back home to Atlanta. When she walked by all of the boys just about fell over because she was so pretty and she smelled so good and everybody was a little bit in love with her, Momma said that everybody liked her and she was a good teacher too. That was when Momma and Daddy started dating and Momma was a senior, Daddy was older than she was. On the last day of school before graduation that teacher brought bags of stuff and give it to all of the girls, what she give Momma was about a half of a bottle of Chanel No. 5 and some lipsticks and some bottles of lotion and that was when Momma first got it, she had not ever had something like that before. I can't even start to say what it smells like, these other people are good at that but it always makes me think about how much my Daddy loved my Momma. I think it's a good advertisement for aldehydes too. Chanel No. 5 will last and last and if you get it on your coat collar it will still be there next year and it will still smell just as good, it's real special and somebody will always tell you that you smell good.

Heaven in a bottle. my first memories of my mother include No 5. she gave me my first bottle in elementary school and, while other perfumes also sit on my dresser, no 5 is a mainstay. long before he knew what i wore, my first college boyfriend would close his eyes and just inhale the fragrance. he even found me in the library by sniffing and years later still identified the scent with me. i wear it to bed, to work, to the gym, to casual events, to glamorous events. while it is likely the most popular and recognizeable fragrance in the world, no 5 will always be my own.

on 1/24/2005 7:35:00 PM

As a fragrance fanatic, I gotta admit that I absolutely love Chanel no. 5!

I must ad though, it is a very strong scent and should be worn SPARINGLY on pulse points only. If your body chemistry agrees with it you will smell wonderful. But we all know that every person's body chemistry is very different.

I like Chanel no. 5 at night in social situations but it's not good to wear this to work or school because it is so powerful. But it's a pleasant scent and have never had any complaints from the guys!

During the day I usually wear Burberry or Ralph Lauren because they are generally lighter scents and are less offensive. But Chanel no. 5 has a unique scent that hasn't been matched by any other fragrance. I get a lot of compliments on it when I go out to stores, bars, clubs, etc. But I still advise people to try it on your pulse points in the store, walk around for a half hour and then decide.

on 1/23/2005 1:01:00 AM

Strong powdery scent. Smells like something my grandmother would wear

on 1/22/2005 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Now, now, girls - just because you don't like a certain fragrance doesn't mean you have to bash it to hell. But I digress ;)
I've been a Chanel lover ever since Coco Mademoiselle came out, with the exception of No.5: always sniffed the tester and though *ugh, did the powder factory explode or is it just me?*
So, never liked the smell in the TESTER, but on my skin it's heavenly, and after all these years I only dared spray it on two weeks ago and that was only beacuse my so-called HG Shalimar is completely monopolized by my mother. So i took the chance of smelling like Mrs. Doubtfire all day and spritzed.
You know what? I became so enamoured with it I bought the smallest EDT on the spot - the EDT, people! Nevermind the EDP or the 'dare-it-say-it' Parfum!
On me this smells extremely clean and fresh, like sweet, crystalline, water. THIS is the Ernest Beaux beauty I have been missing - it's like the aurora borealis, doesn't quite hit the senses until you *experience* it.
My new obsession.

on 1/22/2005 7:53:00 PM

Discusting! I understand that Chanel is high-class and sophisticated, but I agree with a reader below that I think that many women like this product because of it's history and celebrity appeal. Whiff this one with your eyes closed and it's like a big hug from Nana. It's strong, manly, overpowering, showy and offensive. I've smelled more delicate cologne than this. Absolutely, 100% horrendous in my opinion. Unless you're the queen mother, I'd pass.

on 1/17/2005 4:26:00 PM

Got this as a gift. I liked it but it was not one of my favourites. It has a strong powdery unique scent ... and can sometimes be overpowering. I like it to smell on occasion, but ended up giving it to my mom, where she could have good use out of it.

Would not buy again ... as there are other scents I would much prefer.

Popular Fragrances