Chanel No.5

3.5

on 1/24/2005 7:35:00 PM

As a fragrance fanatic, I gotta admit that I absolutely love Chanel no. 5!

I must ad though, it is a very strong scent and should be worn SPARINGLY on pulse points only. If your body chemistry agrees with it you will smell wonderful. But we all know that every person's body chemistry is very different.

I like Chanel no. 5 at night in social situations but it's not good to wear this to work or school because it is so powerful. But it's a pleasant scent and have never had any complaints from the guys!

During the day I usually wear Burberry or Ralph Lauren because they are generally lighter scents and are less offensive. But Chanel no. 5 has a unique scent that hasn't been matched by any other fragrance. I get a lot of compliments on it when I go out to stores, bars, clubs, etc. But I still advise people to try it on your pulse points in the store, walk around for a half hour and then decide.

on 1/23/2005 1:01:00 AM

Strong powdery scent. Smells like something my grandmother would wear

on 1/22/2005 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Now, now, girls - just because you don't like a certain fragrance doesn't mean you have to bash it to hell. But I digress ;)
I've been a Chanel lover ever since Coco Mademoiselle came out, with the exception of No.5: always sniffed the tester and though *ugh, did the powder factory explode or is it just me?*
So, never liked the smell in the TESTER, but on my skin it's heavenly, and after all these years I only dared spray it on two weeks ago and that was only beacuse my so-called HG Shalimar is completely monopolized by my mother. So i took the chance of smelling like Mrs. Doubtfire all day and spritzed.
You know what? I became so enamoured with it I bought the smallest EDT on the spot - the EDT, people! Nevermind the EDP or the 'dare-it-say-it' Parfum!
On me this smells extremely clean and fresh, like sweet, crystalline, water. THIS is the Ernest Beaux beauty I have been missing - it's like the aurora borealis, doesn't quite hit the senses until you *experience* it.
My new obsession.

on 1/22/2005 7:53:00 PM

Discusting! I understand that Chanel is high-class and sophisticated, but I agree with a reader below that I think that many women like this product because of it's history and celebrity appeal. Whiff this one with your eyes closed and it's like a big hug from Nana. It's strong, manly, overpowering, showy and offensive. I've smelled more delicate cologne than this. Absolutely, 100% horrendous in my opinion. Unless you're the queen mother, I'd pass.

on 1/17/2005 4:26:00 PM

Got this as a gift. I liked it but it was not one of my favourites. It has a strong powdery unique scent ... and can sometimes be overpowering. I like it to smell on occasion, but ended up giving it to my mom, where she could have good use out of it.

Would not buy again ... as there are other scents I would much prefer.

on 1/17/2005 12:34:00 AM

Okay, I am finally giving this a "5". I always liked the EDT, used to use the hair mist, and the shimmer body lotion and bath oil (worn as perfume)smell great.
I finally started using the parfum, and it has less aldehydes, and is sweeter,softer, and sexier than the other forms.
Blends better in your own chemistry.
Equally good for work or a date, although while men like this I have found they do prefer other more sexy scents (like Samsara or Stella.)
I am now curious to try EDP - the only version I haven't tried.

on 1/16/2005 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Alright ladies, let's be honest with ourselves. There is nothing sexy about this scent. Personally, I find it offensive. Considering Marilyn Monroe endorsed it leaving everyone to believe in a perfume that must have only smelled good on her back in the 60's. Welcom to the millenium try Tova much better, it is the epitomy of what a woman should smell like, ( body,mind,spirit) my fav, layer them , it's a womans dream.

on 1/16/2005 9:28:00 AM

Years ago I tried this scent and hated it. It was just too grown up and complex for me back then. I just tried it again and it smells so pretty on my skin now. Either my body chemistry changed to make it now smell good on me or the formula has changed slightly (I am betting on the first option) but I digress. This is so sexy on me now and as I wear it the scent just gets better and better. I can see why this scent has held up to the test of time. It really does smell so different on everyone that happens to try it. For those that hate it I would bet that it is your own body chemistry that ruins the scent. It is one of those scents that for those that it works on, it does so in such a beautiful way.

on 1/10/2005 4:30:00 PM

I needed time to learn to appreciate Chanel No5. I used to think it's oldfasioned, boring, heavy. Now I see (I mean smell) the true beauty of this fragrance. It's so complicated, it works with the body chemistry of everyone in a different way. For some reason to me the best is the EDT, not the EDP or the perfume. So give it a try. O yes, and really - with this one less is really more!

on 1/9/2005 3:16:00 PM

this smells so damn gross, no matter how much/little u put.
i think people just say they like it because they WANT to like it.

Popular Fragrances