October 21, 2014 | 1290 users online

Liquid - MAC - Pro Longwear Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2010 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Deelove93905

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything about IT! This foundation doesn't compare to Studio Fix Fluid. It last a very long time no need to retouch as much as with other foundations. I've tried Most of Clinics foundations but they would never last on my skin I would always have to keep powdering my face due to the oil. It does a great job with minimizing oil and coverage. At first when I applied it on it felt so heavy but once i blended it out with my 187 brush it felt light but with a full coverage. Another great thing about this foundation is that it comes with a pump making it easier to get the product out. I recommended this foundation to my friends and they all love it. The price is a lil more compared to Studio Fix but its all worth it. Over all a Great Foundation.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Why do I always get sucked into the hype over MAC products. I just want to brain myself right now. The concept sounded wonderful. The reviews made this sound like a very promising product for me, but now I just have to pay to ship this back (we live out in the country, and have no MAC counters nearby). I have super oily, ultra pale skin. I do get breakouts, and have discolorations and things of that nature. In other words, my skin is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It can look pretty darn good with the right products.

I have tried more foundations that I can think of from drugstore brands to very high ends brands (even La Prairie's Caviar Foundation at nearly $200.00) to the obscure and back again. I've tried them all. The only foundations that give me any real staying power (with real coverage) are Estee Lauder's Maximum Coverage (blue tube), and Lancome's Tient Idole Ultra in Ivoire (I use Ivoire 1-not 2). I pretty much use Lancome most of the time because it looks more natural, and lasts longer than any other foundation I have ever tried thus far. It's not masky, and yet it covers a ton of imperfections, and actually color matches my super pale, porcelain, pink skin. It lasts longer than most, but I am always on the look out for another that might last longer, and offer even better coverage.

This sounded wonderful! I thought wow! A foundation that won't slide off my super oily skin, and has beautiful coverage to boot! I was told that I should buy the palest shade (which is NC15), and I did just that. The color is a little too gold and yellow for me, but it works OK. I can see that it would last and last by the way it felt on my skin after it dried. The problem I have with this foundation is that no matter how much I layered and layered, it covered next to nothing! I didn't want to keep layering it again and again because I realized it would start to look super cakey. This does nothing but even out your skin. If you have pretty decent skin, you will probably love this. I think people have very different definitions for what they feel problem skin is. People who have truly problematic skin will understand exactly what I mean. Yes this would most likely last longer than other foundations, and yes NC15 matches me OK, but I need real coverage. This is not even medium coverage to me. What good is it if you have to smear concealer, which is not long lasting like this, all over your face to compensate for the lack of coverage? Kind of defeats the purpose of this foundation.

I suppose I could try the matching concealer, but I get the feeling it won't have much coverage either (and I called MAC, and was told that the matching concealer was meant for the under eye area, and not for blemishes and spots). I expect a certain amount of concealment and coverage from the foundation I am using, and this offers nothing! This is nothing more than a glorified tinted moisturizer without the moisture. People who think they have bad skin, but really have only minor imperfections, will find this to be adequate. I'm not even considered as someone with severe skin issues, and yet no matter what technique I used, this covered absolutely nothing (and I know how to apply even the trickiest of foundations). If you read the reviews using the lowest to highest ratings method, you will see what others are saying in regards to this issue (coverage). I guess it's all a matter of interpretation. One reviewer said that this barely concealed the redness in her skin (so you can imagine how well this works on spots and blemishes)! If this foundation were more opaque, I think I would probably be quite pleased. I would need too much concealer with this (and the lightest shade is a bit too dark and gold anyway). Back it goes (sigh).

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2010 1:03:00 AM More reviews by RainbowxBrite

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a love-dislike relationship with this foundation. It's the first and only liquid foundation from MAC that didn't break me out (which is a major plus!), it comes with a pump unlike Studio Fix Fluid, and it didn't oxidize on my skin. The coverage is medium, and I normally wear a full coverage, but the coverage wasn't sheer or anything. It did last for quite a while, but not a ridiculously long time like Estee Lauder Double Wear. I'm not sure why I dislike it... I guess because I just am not very fond of MAC foundations in general. But it's pretty good, didn't break me out, and does last for quite a while (especially with a primer). All-in-all, this is the first and only liquid foundation from MAC I would suggest to others. Would consider repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2010 7:27:00 PM More reviews by xxkoshkaxx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm always an NC 15 in Mac foundations and bought this in NC 15, which matched my skin perfectly (NC 20 was way too yellow).

Pro's
--Medium to full-coverage but it feels like nothing is on your face
--Doesn't accentuate my dry skin
--Stays on all day (about 12 hrs) even when I don't use a primer and a setting powder
--Doesn't oxidize like the other Mac foundations
--Leaves a natural looking finish

Con's
--I had these little white bumps on my chin BUT they went away after 2 days
--The packaging sucks...the cover cap cracked after I unscrewed the pump and screwed it back on

Overall it's a great foundation!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by SG444

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I waited a few weeks to review this foundation because I wanted to allow enough time to see how my skin agrees with it. I've had absolutely no problems at all with this foundation as far as breakouts or dryness. My skin texture seems to have actually improved after using this foundation and is smoother and just looks healthier even after I've removed it for the day. That's never happened before with other products.
Like many other reviewers, I'd also been using Estee Lauder Double Wear for years but Pro Longwear is my new favorite. I agree with the person below who said the color selection for this foundation is a little odd. They tend to lean toward being very yellow or red toned but my complexion is more neutral. After trying three different shades, I settled on NW20 which is actually a very close match without being too red or pink. It's even a better match than my old Double Wear shade I'd been using in Dusk. With Double Wear, my skin always started to look like I was wearing foundation at the end of the day, but this foundation remains bright, natural and glowy even after a long day at work. The color stays true all day and never oxidizes.
I use foundation only on my t-zone to even out texture, tone and smooth pores. This works perfectly for that and leaves a very natural appearance. Not cakey or mask-like at all. I apply sparingly with my fingers, blending a very small area at a time since it dries quickly. Some have complained about how fast this sets, but I think it's one of the greatest qualities about this foundation. I never have a problem as long as I keep the application light and blend quickly over small areas at a time, adding more where I need better coverage.
I have combo skin that can get dry and oily at the same time, and in the same places. I need to be sure I moisturize well before applying. This is the first foundation I've tried that I don't need to set with powder, which adds to the natural look I prefer. All in all, I love this foundation and will buy again when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2010 12:27:00 PM More reviews by kbugg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this foundation and only have a sample, but that sample has lasted a week and I still have enough left to get another week's use before making the commitment to purchase.

I love that it covers nicely and evens out my skintone while looking natural. It does feel a bit heavy in the hot, humid weather, but at least my oily skin is kept in check. I am somewhat dry on my cheeks and this makeup doesn't aggrevate that. I'm hoping this will still be a perferred foundation in the winter months when my skin will be dry, that is the only thing holding me back from purchasing.

The colors are a little odd, very yellow or pink. I got matched with NW20 which is a nice neutral, just a hint of pink, but blends into my skintone nicely.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by hautePJones

Normally I find MAC foundations make me break out and are never quite the right color match, but Pro Longwear has done a decent job. For reference I am an NC50 and this runs a very tiny smidge yellow on me, but not a noticeable difference. I definitely don't get the matte coverage everyone else talks about because I still get rather oily (even with MSF and Blot Powder on top). I probably would buy this again if I can't find a better match.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 7:32:00 PM More reviews by chiodokeller

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

.UPDATE: I am still using my MAC NW 25, but now I add some facial moisturizer with SPF 15 (I am using Cetaphil or Eucerin). I mix equal parts, and then apply to my face with a moist foam sponge. This works wonderfully on me. I am now a happy camper! I will continue to purchase MAC Pro Longwear.

I bought this in NW 25. When the MAC consultant tried it on my in the store I kind of thought that it might be a tiny bit on the light side. I purchased it anyway. After using it for a few days I still think it is a little light for my skin. I bought a Cover girl darker liquid foundation and mixed in a little with the MAC foundation. Now it looks much better. I spent $29.50 for the MAC foundation and another $9 for the Cover Girl. That's alot of money to spend, in total, for just foundation. I usually like MAC products, and I will continue to use MAC, but I was wrong to not speak up when I thought that the color was off.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 11:14:00 AM More reviews by saviisneat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin that breaks out easily. I have to be very careful what products I apply. I've tried almost every foundation out there. I decided to give this a try.

Pros- Very Matte. Controls my crazy oily face from 6am - Midnight. Good medium coverage to even out my pinky/red skintone. Feels like I'm wearing a tiny bit of make up. No cake face. Wide range of colors.

Cons- Hard to control the pump to get just the right amount. Dries ridiculously fast so you have to work quick in small areas. Best to use a damp sponge. However, because it dries fast I don't need a setting powder.

These run a tiny bit darker than most of the other foundations. So try and test it out before buying.

Overall I love it. The only part that would be a turn off is the fast drying time. But for me, it's fine because I don't like using powders or setting my foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2010 9:09:00 AM More reviews by patoots30

Been using this foundation for over a week now and it certainly took a lot of trial and errors for me to find the right application. Prior to this I switch between Revlon CS and EL DWL. My face is combination but in both foundations, I put on a BB cream to act as both moisturizer and primer. I tried the same thing when I first tried on Mac Pro longwear but it felt heavy and greasy. I tried it without anything at all but it made it look mask-like and dry. I tried putting moisturizer first (Clinique dramatically different) but I found that the foundation didnt last that long and also made my face looked and felt oily. The winner is using Loreal true match primer. It had the right moisture and allowed the foundation to stay put all day.
I've also tried putting this on using a 187 brush, a beauty blender and finally, the tool that did the best work, my fingers (take note that I've never used my fingers to apply any of the millions of foundations I've ever tried). Even for finishing powder, I can't seem to use the same stuff I really love. Nars loose powder made it look dry while Revlon photoready powder made it look too dewy and it put a whitish cast. Finally the best powder that did the trick and actually enhanced the foundation is body shop's all in one face base :)
Once you get this foundation right for you, then it truly is the best. All the reviews here are true and I eventually found that 'sheen' people were raving about. Be careful with other products you use it with as it really does make a difference. It took a lot of effort (trial and error) just to make this foundation work for me but it definitely is worth it :)

(I use Buff in Revlon CS, and Intensity 3 in DWL)

EDIT: I'm loving this foundation for a really natural look. It's perfect for everyday but I think I'll go back to DWL or CS on nights out. It can be dewy or matte depending on the products you use it with. It looks great with Loreal primer as mentioned above but I also get excellent luminous skin using Shu Uemura Instant glow. I get a matte (with slight sheen) look (this is my favorite) when used with Dr. Jart BB cream. It stays super long and still looks very fresh at the end of day. I tried it again with Nars loose powder and it doesnt look cakey anymore. This is great foundation but I'm not sure if its the best out there. I definitely recommend to people with fairly good skin.