November 23, 2014 | 1076 users online

Moisturizers - Cetaphil - Moisturizing Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by gvgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well I bought this today because of all the good reviews and honestly I don't see why everyone thinks this is sooo amazing. It is a pretty standard cream to me. It's not bad, just nothing special. Oh and there must have been a lot of oil concentrated on the top of my tub because the first couple times I tried it, it looked like an oil slick on my skin and would not absorb at all. It seems to be fine now though...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2008 2:01:00 AM More reviews by ldybach

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

(sorry for the length)
This Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream is absolutely wonderful. I use it year round.

Do not confuse this with the lotion - especially the dreadful spf lotion by Cetaphil. Maybe they've changed it, but the spf lotion was a bad experience for me. The non spf lotion is fine, but I prefer the heavier cream moisturizer.

I have very dry skin in general and eczema around my eyes. My face gets extremely dry in the winter and this is one of the few things I can use regularly without any irritation or burning. Even around my eyes. It's not meant as a face cream really, but most people use it there as well.

I've read that some people react to it - I think most attribute that to the Propylene Glycol, so if you are sensitive to that you may want to skip it.

Try a smaller tube first.

Also, many that hated the product and claimed it burned or made them break out also commented that it smelled bad. I think it's possible they had a bad tub or old tub - but maybe not. Nothing will agree with everyone.

The scent reminds me of a clean baby. The scent does get odd when it's old and should be tossed.

I would recommend it as a cheap night cream for some. It goes pretty far since it's so rich. A large tub lasts me quite a long time - many months.

I have another night cream I prefer, because I get fairly dramatic results the next day, but when my skin is being fussy and irritable I always turn to this. Also, in the winter my night cream isn't always up to snuff as an overnight moisturizer so I use it as a day cream and Cetaphil as a night cream.

It feels so water based (hard to explain) when you dig your hand into a fresh tub - I love a new tub. I almost want to ditch my old one when I'm part way through just to experience a new tub - that's dumb, I know. Instead I move the half used tub to my bedside to use just on my body and get a fresh tub for my face - that's probably more hygienic too. Maybe I should just break down and switch to the tubes for my face. For some reason I just prefer the tubs.

Oh - and I really slather it on my face at night some times (my house is so dry in the winter, it's a an old log home and sucks up the moisture even with humidifiers going round the clock). It does not make me break out - and I can be prone to break outs if I get lazy.

This does come in tubes that others find more convenient - and I have mini ones to keep in my purses etc.

My sister has used this on my niece since she was born for her severe eczema - they love it. My niece is now five and loves the little tiny tubes I share with her.

A very, very light, natural seeming fragrance - not perfumy - just clean. Nice for a baby.

Some may think it's greasy - but if you do I think it's probably just too rich for your needs. Try the lotion. I do think the lotion is also very good, just not rich enough for my needs.

But again - I did NOT like the spf lotion which is completely different. I have to try the newer DailyAdvanceTM Ultra Hydrating Lotion. Maybe I'll pick that up tomorrow.

A little goes a long way.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2008 9:24:00 PM More reviews by more_spraygel_please

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have very oily acne prone skin. My skin has become very dry this winter and red from using retin-A. I wanted a "no-frills" moisturizer to use occasionally to offset the dryness from the acne treatments. I love this, if I see the flakies on my forehead I use this for one night and my skin looks amazing in the morning. It does not cause break outs for me. I wouldn't use this as my daily moisturizer, it would be a too greasy. I use this on my hands too before bed, it has really helped through this New England winter. I can even see using this in the summer especially after a day at the beach! :-) PS I didn't notice a a strong smell at all, if anything it smelled a little bit like the plastic tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2008 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Ladyblackwulf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My Dr recommed this to me years ago when I was a young teen due to extrmly dry skin. I bought one bottle and used it, my skin reacted to something in it, so badly, that I had to shower it off my skin and quickly. I quickly tossed the bottle in the trash and never tried it again.

Now years later it seems, they changed the formula. It's still "thick" but not as greasy as it was all those years ago, my skin seems to drink it in with out any reaction ie breaking out or burning sensation, my pores don't feel clogged. This will come to great use since it's really unscented (I hate scented lotions that will clash with my perfume) and great for very cold days when it will be needed the most.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by fluffylamb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

My holy grail of drugstore body lotions! This was recommended to me by my dermatologist and I've been using it ever since. It has a light creamy texture, but goes on smooth like a lotion. It's not sticky at all like certain other creams (e.g, Eucerin or Keri). It goes on your skin with a cool feeling, so it feels really good.

I also love how it has no scent on it at all. I mainly use this as a body and hand lotion, but occasionally use it on my face too with no problems.

Comes in a no frills tub. You can find this in a bigger tub at Costco at a cheaper price than normal drugstores.

Make sure to buy the cream in the tub, not the lotion in the bottle. The cream is much much better.

Other lotions I like to use are the Aveeno body lotion & AmLactin. I keep buying these 3 products again and again because it works.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2008 2:23:00 AM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Can we say clogged pores? Have been using Cetaphil lotion (excellent product) and thought I'd try this to see if worked any differently. The petroleum clogged up my face badly and within 2 days I started to get spots. All this is from someone with dry skin. Washed my face and within the hour the spots began to fade.It made my dry skin feel even dryer due to the petroleum greasily just sitting there on the suface of my face..I'll stick with my Cetaphil lotion it never causes spots (or greasiness).

UPDATE: Found this in my closet so tried it again. This time within 15 minutes of putting this grease on my skin dried out and there was a slick film on my face. Crap

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 11:43:00 PM More reviews by media_cookie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i came across the review below regarding the scent and had to write a gentle warning as well. I had no idea it had been reformulated and the other night I started using a new bottle of the Cetaphil lotion (not cream) and noticed the smell right away. Each time I've applied it, I notice the smell and it's pretty offensive. i'm not sensitive to scents at all, but this smells like burning plastic or burning saran wrap. I just put some on my husbands hand and he said it smells like burned peanuts. Plus the smell lingers so i can't escape it. I love Cetaphil products but I dont want to put this stuff on my face anymore. I have no idea why they changed this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2008 2:52:00 PM More reviews by sadiemay

I love this! It soaks up fast and doesn't leave a greasy feeling on my skin. It leaves my skin feeling silky soft and well moisturized. It may be too heavy for summer time. I have been using this for years and it's still my favorite lotion that I always reach for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2008 2:49:00 PM More reviews by keahi

I am irrationally in love with this stuff! I'm the odd one out because I personally love sticking my hand in this huge tub of cream to scoop out the product--something about it feels so indulgent--I guess because I'm only used to using facial cream in a jar where you only dab a little bit out at a time. I would be bummed if they ever switched this to tube packaging exclusively. I'm not all that concerned about the sanitary/ hygenicness of it--I only stick my freshly washed clean hands in the tub.
Nothing feels better at the end of a long day than a hot shower and a liberal rub-down of this thick, but not sticky, cream. My skin feels so soft in the mornings when I wake up. The skin on my chest is normally pretty senstive to lotions and will break out easily, but Cetaphil moisturizers have never made me break out. I also like using this on my face, but not exclusively--I have to rotate it with other moisturizers. It doesn't make me break out, but it seems to make my facial skin look a little dull--I think it's the petrolatum in it. THe lotion doesn't dull my facial skin so I use that instead as a day moisturizer.
As others have noted, this makes a GREAT eyecream--no fragrances to irritate or make you tear up. Prior to this I was using Clinique's AAE rich and liked it, but I think I like Cetaphil cream better. AAE rich costs $55 per ounce. Cetaphil cream is 50 cents per ounce. Hmmmm. . . think I'll stick with the Cetaphil. When I get a new tub I just scoop some into a little glass jar I bought at Whole Foods and reserve it for eye use--that way I don't have to worry about those germs.
A tub lasts me about 3 months with nightly use all over my body. I've repurchased twice and will continue to do so.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2008 1:52:00 PM More reviews by overweighty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got this in the new packaging - came in a tube, which I much prefer to the tub any day. I like to have this on hand for all sorts of dry patches. Have been using it all week on my face, morning and night, because it is so insanely cold here. No breakouts to this point and it leaves a nice finish on my face for foundation. Will always repurchase.