Clarisonic Mia

4.2

Plastic

on 4/19/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love my Mia! My mom bought it for me for Christmas and it is one of the best gifts I've ever received. I am in my early twenties and I've had blemishes on my forehead since I was a teenager and toners, scrubs or creams never helped. I've been using my Clarisonic since December and my skin is smooth and silky. It de-clogged the pores on my nose and the blemishes on my forehead vanished! I have the sensitive brush and I use it twice a day. I've skipped a day before and I felt the difference! My skin felt a little bumpy especially around my chin and forehead. I recommend keeping up daily use of this scrubber. One downside--I did notice a bit of dryness on my cheeks (which were never an issue for me as they're very smooth and clear) so I cut it down to once a day. Overall I'm totally satisfied with my Mia!

on 4/18/2011 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Like many of the reviewers and visitors of the skincare board, I had a lot of reservations and questions about the Mia, like:

Q: I have very sensitive skin. Will it irritate it? Why not just use a cheaper scrub/washcloth? Will it "over exfoliate"?

A: My skin is sensitive and very dry on the cheeks. Most physical exfoliants were either too rough or did not remove the dry flaky skin on my cheeks. Chemical exfoliants, like AHA products, were very irritating. However, after one use, the Mia completely got rid of my flaky skin w/o any immediate rashes or irritation. I used the "sensitive" brush head that comes with the unit. It is not too harsh for me. Weeks later, I've never had any irritation. I feel that the exfoliation is gentle, yet thorough. I haven't had consistently smooth skin in years, so the Mia is worth the price for that alone. Oh, and I also passed the Mia over an active pimple and it DID NOT pop it. I've popped zits by accident just by patting my face dry with a towel, so I was surprised that the Mia did not pop my pimple.

Q: Will the Mia help my acne?

A: Personally, my acne is cystic and hormonal. I can only prevent them if I keep to a dairy-free diet. I know the Mia will not be able to prevent that kind of acne. However, when I do get a pimple, I feel that it heals a little faster bc my spot treatment can absorb better. Also, I find that my acne scars are healing faster (my scars are smooth pink/brown spots. If you have uneven skin surface from acne scars, you may need a procedure like laser peels). Again, that could be bc my other products are able to absorb better now that my skin is well exfoliated. My skin definitely stays hydrated longer (same moisturizer).

Q: What's the battery life?

A: I've had my Mia for about a month now and have only charged it the one time after I bought it! I use it once a day, at night, to remove makeup and SS. It's great if you go away for an extended trip and don't want to carry around the charger.

Q: What about the purging period?

A: I've had 2 or 3 small pimples that went away after a day or two. They are not the deep, cystic kind, so they didn't bother me.

Q: But it's so expensive. Is it worth the price? What if I don't like it?

A: I bought mine at Sephora bc it's a reputable vendor with a great return policy (full refund after a few weeks with a receipt). Try it, and if you don't like it return it.

Bottom line: This is the first product where I've seen both immediate and (semi-) long term results. Since using it, I've noticed that my skin is much more even in tone, as well as texture, and I don't have to use as much foundation now. Yes it's expensive. Yes it's a luxury item, but aren't all beauty products to some extent? My skin is sensitive to most products - peels, masks and serums are off all limits. For me, the Mia does the work of a lot those products w/o the irritation, so I feel the cost is justified.

on 4/18/2011 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using the Mia for a few months now. I have to say that it is the best exfoliator I have ever used. I use the sensitive brush head and it is gentle enough to use every day, which means I don't have to use a harsher scrub (scrubs with the microscrubbing beads don't work for me, so I need to use something more abrasive like St. Ive's apricot scrub). This really does wonders in terms of improving the tone and texture of my skin. The outermost layer of my skin feels fresh and supple. However, for those acne-prone girls out there, this is not going to be the miracle tool for you. This hasn't helped clear up my acne, but I knew not to expect that. I did go through a 3 week purging stage when I first started using the Mia and I broke out quite a bit, but thank goodness that passed. I use this once a day and despite the fact that I still have a couple break outs here and there, I think the Mia is well worth it. I know it sells for around $150 at Sephora, but I actually got mine for $120 off of Amazon. I leave the Mia in my shower; I love that it's waterproof. And the magnetic charger is genius. The Mia does hold a charge for a long time and I only need to charge it every 2 weeks or so. I'll just plug it in right after my shower and bring it into the shower w/me the next day. It is expensive, but I do love my Mia!

on 4/18/2011 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using my mia for a month now. I was nervous at first because of all the reviews said there would be some initial purging in the first few weeks. I have oily acne prone skin and when I break out, I get those huge under the surface bumps that take months to go away. However, when I tried the mia I didn't really experience any purging so I am really happy about that. Anyways, let's get straight to the point.

Was it worth the $120? I don't think so. I don't see much of an improvement on my pore size or any oil reduction, but I will say that the mia does an EXCELLENT job on removing makeup. To put my mia to the test, I applied on Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation (those of you that have the foundation know how hard it is to remove it!). Half an hour later, I used my mia and Fresh Soy Cleanser to take my foundation off. No makeup remover, initial washing, etc. Within that one minute, the mia removed every last trace of double wear on my face! I ran a cotton round soaked in MU-remover over my face to check, and nothing! That in itself is pretty impressive. I also noticed less breakouts in the past month, which is probably due to the impeccable makeup removal. However, I feel like a diligent routine and lots of makeup remover would have produced the same results. For $120, I expected more pros. However, this is just my own personal experience.

CONCLUSION: If I had to put a price the mia, I would say that a $60-$80 price range would seem more accurate. Those of you who are lazy like me (or have a tight schedule), the mia removes all traces of facial makeup within the given minute, and therefore saves me an extra 20 mins each day. Cleaner skin = healthier, clearer skin. I would say that it's worth a try if you have the money for it. I got mine on amazon because it's slightly cheaper, but if you're unsure then get it at sephora. They have an amazing return policy so you can't go wrong.

P.S. Estee Lauder Double Wear users, beware. The foundation WILL stain your clarisonic brush head, just like it stains makeup brushes. I don't wear it very often, so after that inital test that I did, I had to soak the brush head into oil-based makeup remover to get it looking white again.

on 4/13/2011 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love my Mia!! I have the Clarisonic Plus too. I just got a pink Mia in a swap a few days ago.. I am thrilled I did. I got it so I can take it on trips and also my oldest daughter is close to 13 now and I would like her to get started using one. I like how it is smaller and more compact than the Plus. Also the plink charger is very convienant. Alot better than the charging cradle that the Plus goes in. I do like the different speeds on my plus though and how it beeps when its time to switch to a new spot on my face. But if you are looking to save some money, then the Mia is perfect! I havent had any issues with sensitivity using the Clarisonic at all and I was worried at first when I got it because of some of the horror stories I had read online. I guess everyone is different and you can only know by getting one and trying it for yourself.

on 4/11/2011 12:59:00 PM

Count me in as a "Mia lover." I have used the Mia for almost 2 months and I see improvements in my skin ... and I just love the way my skin feels after I've used it. The issues I wanted the Mia for are uneven skin tone, large pores, and bumpy skin texture. I've also been getting a series of glycolic peels so I can't say for sure if the improvements are due only to the Mia. I see improvement in skin tone and texture. The pores are the same size but my skin looks healthy and feels soft. I do not remove my makeup before using it (except eye makeup, of course) and my skin gets very clean and the moisturizer I use is absorbed really well. Only one person actually noticed an improvement in my skin but that's enough for me! My 19 year old son has some mild acne and blackheads but I am getting him the L'Oreal brush - it has gotten good reviews and I think it's a better choice for him - it's a lot cheaper.

on 4/10/2011 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

Update 8-ish weeks later: Can't imagine not using this product. HG.
---
Update (5 weeks later): I've been using the MIA (with the sensitive brush) twice a day for the last several weeks, and I now can't imagine washing my face without it.

Somewhere between weeks 2-3, I went through the dreaded "purging" phase, where I did break out a bit. But since then, my skin has been smoother and I haven't broken out (knock on wood). It feels so good on my face and leaves my pores cleaner than ever before. My makeup goes on sooo smooth. The only drawback with the MIA is that I do notice dry patches sometimes. Other than that....I seriously love this thing!

---

The Mia is amazing! I've only been using it a couple days, but I can already see a huge difference. My skin is softer, my treatments seem to work better, and my makeup goes on noticeably smoother. It also feels so good to wash my face now that I'm hooked. I can't even imagine not using it now. I will obviously have to wait to see any long term effects but so far, so good!

on 4/10/2011 6:19:00 PM

I love the clarsonic. I have been using it religiously for 3 months now and I can see the improvement in my skin. I use it with the philosophy clarity cleanser, which I would also highly recommend. The first week I started using the clarisonic, my skin did break out a little, but I think that was just because it was cleaning out my pores so well, my skin was not used to it and needed to adjust. I do not see any difference in the amount of oil my skin is producing, but I have dry/combo skin, so this has never been an issue for me. As, for shrinking my pores, I would have to say it has done so in terms of my overall texture of my skin. I think it will continue to slowly shrink my pores. The thing I love most about the clarisonic, is the overall radiance and glow it gives my skin. my skin looks radiant, young and fresh ofter using the clairisonic. I am still in my 20's, I have never had any major skin problems. Since using the clairsonic, I have switched from using a medium coverage foundation to a tinted moisturizer and I have gotten more complements on my skin then ever. Just in case anyone was wondering, the clairsonic is a cleansing device, not exfoliation device, you should continue to exfoliate you skin while using the clarisonic. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

I have used this for about a month now. I like it but it isn't an amazing product. From the first time I used it, it made my skin super soft and glowy. The vibration function allows me to get a gentle exfoliation unlike manual brushes that will over exfoliate my skin with harsh scrubbing. But this brush hasn't made my pores smaller or made it less oily or reduced my hyper-pigmentation and I still get pimples (I have always had mild acne btw). This brush is expensive but because of the gentle exfoliation it gives me (which you cannot do with a manual brush) and how good it feels when the vibrating brush swaps across my face, I didn't regret my purchase.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I have wanted this little gadget for years, and finally got it almost two weeks ago as a late birthday present. I have been using it for nearly two weeks, morning and night, with the sensitive brush head and I love it! I've been trying it with a few different cleansers because Sephora has been giving away samples like mad lately. With the first use, the tiny blackheads on my nose completely cleared, which is amazing because they have been there for years and years and not even Biore could get them out. I don't see any make-up residue on my towels when I dry my face anymore. It hasn't done anything for my acne scars, but I haven't been using it that long. I can't tell if it's helping with fine lines or wrinkles, because I already have skin like a baby's ass thanks to Olay Regenerist. It does feel really funny when you use it on your nose, but you definitely get used to it. It really does help your skincare products sink in much better. My only complaint is that it doesn't make your facial cleanser lather. I was sort-of expecting it to, but it doesn't at all. But I got over it, and you probably will too. Everyone needs to own one, not just ladies! I can't wait to get the body brush. By the way, they just released a berry coloured Mia. It's more of a hot pink.

Video Reviews & Tutorials