November 22, 2014 | 1400 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Juliamoore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have to agree with the previous comment I also tried 3 or 4 shades thinking it is a good fd for winter dehyd skin but I ended up looking either pale (Deiville) white or sallow-yellow (Fiji, Santa Fe). Had to return it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2011 3:34:00 AM More reviews by jadukdik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Looks very yellow on me. I tried 3 different colors and none of them worked. I don't know why people love it so much. Not worth the $$.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2011 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Natalya121

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this foundation for nearly 6 months. I have very oily skin (all over) that is prone to breakouts. This foundation has a wonderful texture that simply glides onto the skin, I use my fingers then a small makeup sponge to take off any excess. I have tried using a foundation brush and a mac 187 but have found for me that this method works best. I use it with a primer and a powder to set and it has lasted a 14 hour day which if your oily you will know is near impossible for a foundation. When this does start to make me slightly shiny, it is more of a glow than an actual shine. I use it without a moisturiser as the product is quite moisturising anyway. I use smashbox photo finish light, guerlain's primer (pearles) or sometimes Dior's crystal matte (very fine layer) to start, then I shake the foundation for at least a minute then apply to the back of my hand and work it in slightly to warm the product, I quickly apply with fingers all over and use a sponge to smooth out any that may have sunk into my large open pores (once it's blended it gives an almost poreless look) and I then use Shu Uemura's matte face poder to set as this is very finely milled. I use a bare minerals buffer brush to buff the powder into the skin (if it's a long day) so that it looks like there isn't any powder on my face at all. A blusher that really works with the texture of this foundation is Daniel Sandlers watercolour blusher in cherub.
Update, although I do still love this foundation my skin has gotten quite used to it and now after a few hours it has a tendancy to sit in my pores. Great winter foundation but avoid heat!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2011 1:13:00 AM More reviews by blankdreams

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation!!! I have pretty problematic skin (frequent breakouts, discoloration, etc). I've got dry/normal skin with visible pores in some areas. This is actually more coverage than I expected. It doesn't cover some of the larger pimples I have or some of the veins that are a little bit visible (but what foundation will?? haha) but it covers everything else (discoloration, small pimples). I set it with maybelline dream matte powder and it gives a really nice finish. The powder doesn't completely mattify things and just makes it look very natural. As the day goes on it does get a bit more glowy and that may be a bit too much for some people but I quite like it. If you have any dry patches it WILL emphasize them so be sure to moisturize really well! I think for the price of $42 this should come with a pump (I believe you can buy them separately for like $6) but oh well. This is the best foundation I've tried so far (I've tried neutrogena skin clearing, revlon color stay, make forever matte velvet, and smashbox) and I would def repurchase!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2011 8:51:00 PM More reviews by tempalina

I've been wanting this foundation for the longest time. I happened to be at Nordstrom one time so I decided to ask for a Sheer Glow sample. I'm an NC35 in MAC studio fix fluid and was matched to Punjab in Sheer Glow. First off, the consistency is very nice. It's not too runny and not too thick either. It puts on very nicely and just looks superb. Almost like a very natural second skin. I also like how the foundation is yellow enough to match my asian skin tone. However, this turned me into a grease ball!! A very yucky, dirty-looking greaseball. It was not flattering at all. My skin is no longer as oily as it used to be (I'm actually combo now) so I was really surprised when this turned me into an oily mess. I was a little disappointed. I wanted this to work. Good thing I only got a sample, otherwise, I would have to return it.

Oily ladies, be wary. Get a sample first and test it out for a day. That way, you won't have to return it if it doesn't work out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Katie75007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love the finish of this foundation, but I will say that "sheer" is not the adjective I would have chosen to describe it. It leaves a gorgeous, flawless finish, but I think it's definitely on the medium side of the coverage spectrum. That said, I do love it -- it makes my pores seem to disappear, and it evens my skin tone very nicely. My skin is on the dry side, and it never looks cakey or thick. I bought the pump (from NARS) to go with this, and it makes it so much more convenient. It can be difficult to work with; I find that it doesn't blend easily when my skin is dry. If I moisturize right beforehand, it blends better.

I had actually dismissed Sheer Glow (after initially falling in love with it) when I realized that Mont Blanc was too dark for me; even when sheered out, my face ended up being a different color than my neck. I assumed that Siberia would be too light / too yellow for me -- but I have since discovered that Siberia is the actually one of the only foundation shades that matches my neck perfectly and makes my complexion uniform -- so for this, it immediately achieved HG status. It's much lighter than NC15, and it's honestly one of the lightest shades I have ever seen, which is perfect for me. Even though it leans yellow, it neutralizes the redness in my face perfectly. Of all of the foundations I try, I always go back to this one. I'm in love with SG again! :D

(For reference, my skin is approximately NW5-10, and Siberia is a spot-on match.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 12:35:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The Sephora MUA matched me with Ceylan, I'm somewhere between NC 15 NC 20ish, she was skeptical to match me because I got the impression either she herself did not like the foundation OR there would'nt be a good match for me...now I'm thinking the latter. This applies nicely but I look like I'm wearing a yellow mask, as the foundation sets/day goes on it accenuates and sets in fine lines which make me looks worse and aging with no glow noticed.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

As I said in another post, when it comes to foundations I sometimes think I'm in a MU upside-down world.

After trying many foundations touted as full coverage - all of which had the coverage of a tinted moisturizer, at best (FitMe, the new one by Too Face, just to mention two) - I stumbled on a generous sample I had of this foundation described as 'sheer.' And what do you know, I get beautiful coverage (yes, I was sober when I put it on). This is NOT sheer. It covers beautifully without looking heavy and masky. The color, Fiji, which is described as for light skins with yellow undertones, is perfect for me. At first I thought "Wow, yellow!" (in artificial light). But I was surprised to see that in natural light, it matches my skin to perfection. I set it with my beloved MUFE HD powder and it looks great.

Staying power: I have oily skin so I never expect any fdt. to stay pristine-looking all day. I have to blot this, but no more often than I have to do with other foundations. It has a bit of shimmer, which I like, and I can tone down with powder.

All in all, I might get a bottle of this (I have so many now). I will also try the 'matte' version for summer. This is the sort of 'sheer' I can deal with. Heck, this is the sort of full-coverage I can deal with. ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by princess101

For reference I have combo-oily skin, with the majority of my oil concentrated to the t-zone. To use this, I MUST wear a primer on my t-zone or risk patchiness and a glare across my forehead. The primer I use is Nars (without SPF) and it adheres and blends beautifully over my skin. It is more forgiving than the Sheer Matte version, as I have more time to blend before it dries and I'm not forced to use my fingers to apply. I find that it doesn't empahsize dry skin or flakes as much as the Sheer Matte (you must be well exfoliated/moisturized prior to application), but it does settle into fine lines. I can usually rememdy the problem if I apply primer to my entire face, but some days it can feel a bit heavy to wear such a full-face, especially during warmer weather.

I have tried this with other primers (silicone based) and they did not work so well together. The primer became gummy and at times, the foundation just seemed to slide around and not blend in. I did try this with Smashbox, which is 60% water-based but it was a fail. I would advise using this with Nars, as it is fully water-based (so I was told).

I purchased this in the shade Ceylan (Light 6) which is the same as my Sheer Matte. This seems a tad bit lighter, but with proper blending, it is unnoticable.

The finish is very natural, almost satin-like and I only need to blot my t-zone once, maybe twice a day. I usually set with Maybelline Oil_free Loose powder, and then spritz with Urban Decay All Nighter Spray. With this method I'm able to lock in the foundation, but retain the dewy effect.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Lisaanthony7

I really wanted to love this product.I have never spent this much on a foundation before,and I read all the reviews an did sooo much research and decided to invest in this in the shade cylan. It did match my skin perfectly and gave it a nice finish,but after about an hour my face was already shiny and my face is never that oily! I will be returning this product and trying out makeup forevers matte velvet,hopefully that works out good for me.