April 20, 2014 | 1624 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2010 9:32:00 PM More reviews by lovebug415

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm on a search for the ultimate foundation (who isn't)! I went to Nordstrom and went to a few counters for samples of foundations to try. I heard great things about this foundation so I couldn't wait to try it today, especially since i'm a huge Nars junkie! However this just didn't do it for me. It felt great on my skin, but the coverage was just ok and by the end of the day I could have used a touch up.. I guess my search continues.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2010 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Inca78

Ive tried many foundations to suit my break out and dehydrated skin and Im in love with this one.
Although its called 'sheer' (which it is) it has a buildable coverage which is good for me as I cant be bothered applying concealers and colour correctors. It feels really light and never 'gunky' or thick. I dont grease up, even after a long day and it doesnt aggrovate my acne. It doesnt last well if youre having a long day or night out which sucks, but the good far outweighs the bad for me. The colour range is great and they have soooo many shades on offer so Im guessing nearly anyone could find a colour that was perfect.
The packaging is not good imo. They really need to put a pump on the bottle to make it more user friendly.
But overall, this is my staple foundation and I wont be parting with it anytime soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2010 11:16:00 PM More reviews by yoonjungifer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This used to be my HG foundation before I started breaking out. I used to have pretty clear skin and I never really broke out... and if I did, they would be small tiny pimples. Now, I'm starting to break out with cystic acne. Not sure what's causing it but anyway, onto my review:

I have pretty dry, flaky skin. But it's kinda weird because I tend to get oily when I used certain foundations. This was certainly the case when I used the sheer glow. It goes on beautifully and looks amazing when first applied. I suggest using a brush and then blending it out with a kabuki or flat top brush. It looked great in pictures too. My skin looked flawless in pictures, actually.

But remember, this is when I had great skin. Now that I started breaking out, I noticed that it just doesn't provide enough coverage. :/

The thing that I liked most about the sheer glow foundation is that it doesn't get look "cakey" as most foundations do. It's very creamy and easy to apply. Finding your color match is pretty easy. And it doesn't turn "orange" hours later like most MAC foundations do.

But the lasting power is horrible. It does tend to get oily after a few hours. And I didn't particularly like the packing. I would much rather have preferred a bottle with a pump.

I think that if you have pretty normal, clear skin this is the perfect foundation for you if you're looking for light to medium coverage.

I loved it and will definitely repurchase once my skin starts looking normal again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2010 11:52:00 AM More reviews by sgr2008

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Yes I will buy again because I did already...
BUT I am still looking for the HG foundation, this is the closest I can get.
Not perfect but really really good.
I have tried lots of others, I am lucky enough that I am sometimes given some samples to try in the shops. And sometimes I even think I found better but no, not yet...
Until I find my HG, I will carry on using Nars.
I must say that for the first time I can use a foundation without my skin looking covered with dry patches after 3 hours, but then I don't think it is there anymore....
I am trying Chanel Vitalumiere at this moment, I will see and edit this review to compare, but anyway I have ordered another Nars because even if I find a better one, I know I will use the Nars one and even reorder again :)
I am never satisfied :P
I managed to order a pump for the bottle, what a relief !
but it should be easier to get hold of that pump !
For reference I am NC20-25 and have very dry skin and I use Santa Fe.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2010 12:07:00 AM More reviews by bebemonte

I was really curious about the foundation because of the great reviews on Youtube etc. and I got the Sheer Glow and Sheer Matte samples in Punjab and Fiji which both are a good match to my NC25 skin.
However, I hated Sheer Matte immediately because of how poorly it goes on. Sheer Glow took a couple of hours of wear for me to hate. Although it spreads nicely and the color is great, it feels really silliconey -- reminded me a lot of L'oreal True Match. As the day went on the foundation starting reall sttling into my lines and accentuating any dryness as well as becoming shiny at the same time.
Even though I'm quite oily, my face was very dehydrated after 7 hours of wear just like with True Match.
Will not be purchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2010 10:19:00 PM More reviews by mellowlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I walked in Sephora with trying this out in mind and turns out the SA who helped me uses this - her skin looked beautiful and she raved about how smooth and light it feels as well as it's great coverage. I agreed with her on all 3 counts.

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed that it didn't work for me. I have combination oily t-zone and tend to get dry in some areas. This looked amazing when I first put it on in the day, but by mid-day, it made me super oily and the oilyness caused the foundation to break down, emphasize (maybe cause?) dry patches. It looked so good initially that I really wished it had worked out.

For reference, I have golden light skin and was matched to Ceyland.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by MapleBlossom2

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this in Punjab for my NC30-ish complexion. It seems a little too light but nice and yellow. Very light, watery texture. It looked great after applying but seemed to sink into my pores after a few hours. On the plus side, it covers well and stayed pretty matte all day. If it were cheaper and didn't sink into my pores I would buy it. If I could find a better color.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by miapark

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this foundation!

The color range offered by NARS has a wide range of both cool, netural, and warm undertones. This makes it very easy for you to find one that is perfect for you. The only tricky thing is though that not all counters will carry every single shade. In fact, at Sephora for example, they do not carry all available colors period.

The foundation has a more watery consistency and has a sheer/medium coverage. That said, you will need to use a separate concealer to cover up and blemishes or scars if you have any. Because the foundation is more on the light side in terms of coverage, it will not help you oover up much. This foundation is ideal for just a nice evening out of skin tone.

I have normal (sometimes comination) skin, and initially thought that sheer "Glow" is something I may want to stay away from. However, I found that this has just the perfect amount of moisture so that after about 3 hours of wear, the foundation blends into my skin nicely and looks less powdery.

Application wise, I like to use a regular foundation brush or one of the Sephora Professional HD brushes. The traditional foundation brush gives more coverage, but the fluffy and dense HD brush gives more of an airbrushed look. Either way, you will get the same overall time wear of the foundation of ~8hrs. I would strongly recommend that you touchup with some powder if you plan to carry on to 8hrs+

Overall recommendation: Buy! Try it once, if you are dry/normal/combination skin type. Very flattering and natural finish.

Positives++
1. Excellent shade selection
2. Perfect moisture balance for normal/combination skin
3. Looks very naturally, especially about 3hrs into wear
4. Medium coverage with a very sheer feel so it doesn't feel like you have loads of makeup on.
5. Lightweight of formula means it won't clog your pores!

Negatives--
1. EXPEN$IVE!! (In Canada, after taxes in Toronto it was a whopping $60.00)
2. Wish it would last a bit longer without having to touchup with powder
3. There is no pump and you cannot buy one in store. You must purchase online and they never seem to have any in stock....fail

NOTE**Powder needed? Yes, please. Remember to set with a powder if you have combination skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by tiggarswifey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i always used to use mac foundation nc40- nc42, but nc40 was too light for me, and nc42 was to yellow for me, it even if i mixed them together they were never the same as my skin tone. i have very yellow undertones to my skin but hate looking yellow.
i went to try out nars sheer glow as i have heard so many good things about it. i got the colour Barcelona. which i think is too light for me, but when added with bronzer and blusher, it looks gorgeous. i look so glowy and fresh faced, and i absolutely love it. my skin doesnt dry out with this foundation like the mac foundation, even though im not sure this is the perfect one for my skin tone i still very much like it, and it is without a doubt the best foundation ever!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2010 1:27:00 AM More reviews by AbigailE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Packaging: Hate that this does not come with a pump. There's just no reason for a pump not to be included, save for aesthetics. The Nordstrom NARS counter also told me that they do not carry pumps in store, so I had to order a pump, for $5 or so, online. With shipping. WTF.

I do love the finish of this foundation. It is glowy on me, but not overly so. It's definitely not a sheer coverage at all. I would go so far as to say it is medium to full coverage, depending on the application method and layering involved. I prefer the MAC 109 brush to apply SG. It can feel heavy at times. I use the shade Mont Blanc, which is a touch too dark for me. I have to blend this over my neck as well or it looks way off.

Now without all that said, this foundation breaks me out. Not enough to give it up! But enough that I save SG for special occasions now, and not for everyday wear.