Neutrogena Oil Free eye makeup remover

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Poloxamer 182, Allantoin, Tripotassium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cucumber Fruit Extract (Cucumis Sativus), Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate.

on 4/19/2009 8:37:00 PM

I was in a drugstore last week and while I was searching for the unmistakable bottle of Neutrogena Eye Make Up Remover, something caught my eye. There was another bottle that looked strikingly similar on the "Clean & Clear" shelf, except this bottle of eye make up remover had a clear plastic green shell and white cap (instead of clear plastic purple with a gold cap). Knowing that Clean & Clear and Neutrogena belong to the same parent company, Johnson & Johnson, I picked up both bottles and compared the ingredients list side-by-side.

EXACTLY THE SAME INGREDIENTS!!!

Special note: Two or three ingredients are placed higher or lower in the hierarchy of ingredients. Otherwise, no differences in the identity of ingredients. For instance, the Clean & Clear product still contains aloe and cucumber like its predecessor, but in a different priorty-order.

The Clean & Clear product is slightly cheaper by $2 or $3. For those who are slightly more budget conscious, or prefer a "less oily" feel (I am sure that J & J re-ordered the ingredients to target the oily/acne-prone market), Clean & Clear's remover may be a great alternative to the Neutrogena brand.

+++++
As for a proper review of the Neutrogena product, here's what I have to say:

This is a staple item for me. I have used Lancome's Bi-Facil removers too, but they're ourtageously priced for the basic function that I need it to do. That is, removing 100% of MAC's Fluidline (Blacktrack) and mascara. I don't understand why some people would actually pooh-pooh this product... Not only does it *work*, it works very well. What more do you want it to do? Babysit? Wash your floors?

on 4/18/2009 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is definitely a great eye makeup remover! Works well for all the makeup I use, layers of eyeshadow, mascara and eyeliner. I will never be without this product.

on 4/15/2009 3:40:00 PM

This product is almost as good as the Lacome eye makeup remover. It will gentle remove all eyemakeup including waterproof mascara and eyeliner without tugging on the eye. The price is cheap, and works great so definitely will repurchase. Taking off one lipstick however, since it leaves a oily feeling behind even though the product says it is oil free.

on 4/15/2009 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I wish I'd have read about this sooner. I pretty much stashed my waterproof mascaras in the back of the drawer because the new formulas were getting harder and harder to remove. My old standbys; sweet almond, grape seed, and jojoba oil didn't seem to be up to the chore w/o a lot of trouble and then I was left with oily eyes and blurry vision. Neutrogena removes them in a breeze. It also removes gel eyeliner and indelible eye shadows. It's oil-free but not silicone free. Silicone's usually bother my skin but since I'm washing my face after using this, it hasn't broken me out. Make sure you shake the bottle well before each use because the product separates.

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Cyclohexasiloxane, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Poloxamer 182, Allantoin, Tripotassium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cucumber Fruit Extract (Cucumis Sativus), Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol

on 4/15/2009 10:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love it!! It gets rid of my MAC blacktrack fluidliner and eyeshadow in just one step and I only paid $4.59 for two bottles. It takes a little longer for my eyelashes since I wear 2 mascaras and one is waterproof, but it does a lot better than big brandnames' eye MU removers, besides it doesn't irritate my eyes -- a plus for me is that I don't wear contacts. Will definitely buy it again but apparently I got plenty for the rest of the year. I will update if anything changes.
UPDATE 5-02-09 I am switching to Organic Jojoba Oil, it works better for me and doesn't irritate my eyes and skin. Apparently I was getting comedones (whiteheads) out of it, I don't seem to get any with Jojoba Oil.
UPDATE 10-09: I went back to Clinique's Eye/Lips MU remover a while ago, there's nothing like that to get rid of heavy eye make up. I pair it with Olay Cleansing Wipes and they together leave my skin perfectly clean. I'm sticking with them forever.

This makeup remover is comparable to Clinique's. I wear a fair amount of eye makeup (eye shadow, mascara, and eyeliner) and it removes every bit of it. My eyelids are already naturally oily, so all I buy is oil-free. This doesn't aggravate my contact lenses either, which is amazing. I pour a small amount on a cotton pad and pull it across my eye. When it gets to the area around my eye, I wipe it off completely. Everything comes off, and a small bottle lasts me for about 5 months.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Very gentle. Doesn't sting my eyes, and it removes waterproof mascara without a lot of hassle. I usually hold it to my eyes for 5-10 seconds before wiping and the remover would do the rest.

on 4/12/2009 3:21:00 AM

If you like Lancome's Bifacil then you will like this. It removes my mascara just as well. I hold the soaked cotton ball on my eyelashes for 5 seconds or so before wiping. The one drawback is it doesn't remove waterproof mascara at all.

Target has their own brand of this which is exactly the same and even cheaper at $4. Either one will do the trick.

I don't understand why they say oil free. Half of it is really oily but it does such a great job I don't mind. I just splash some water to remove it.

on 4/11/2009 5:12:00 PM

Compared to Lancome's Bi-Facil Double-Action Eye Makeup Remover, this works almost as well at removing makeup but is more gentle. Just soak some into a cotton ball and it wipes off eyeshadow and mascara (even waterproof) easily. Make sure you rinse afterward with water so there is no residue. It contains aloe barbadensis leaf juice, which soothes your skin, as well as cucumber fruit extract. It is also fragrance-free, which the Lancome version is not. And it is cheaper (about C$12.50 compared to C$34.00). I will definitely repurchase.

on 4/9/2009 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This is a cheaper alternative to Lancome Bificils at $8 (cheaper at Wal Mart). It's not a s good as the Pond's Bare & Repair (discontinued) but I was between makeup removers. It's not too oily but I don't find that it removes all traces of mascara or eyeliner.