September 1, 2014 | 1846 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by OutOfLine

Amazing! I bought mine in the Dominican Republic from a local when visiting a beautiful island. I've had it for a year and a half and still have some left! Because your relly do need just a little.
I use this as a body moisturizer after I get out of the shower.... or an hour before i take a shower i put it into my hair and then wash it out.
It happens to smel amazing!
Super cheap alternative to body moisturizers/cream.... its also great because you know its good for your skin considering its all pure and from mother nature herself =]]
Before I get into the shower I fill up my sink with hot water and let the bottle sit in it..... so it can melt.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2009 9:34:00 AM More reviews by makeba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

coconut oil is one of the best natural oil products out there. i have been using the oil cleansing method to cleanse off my makeup and its been a pretty good method for my combination skin type. the only thing i do afterwards is rinse off using African Black soap to make sure i have all the oil off and out of my pores!! Natures products are awesome. i have found grapeseed oil to be a GOD send also!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin so I would never use this on my face, but on my hair it's great. I bought a vat of it at Walmart for $9.98 which is not expensive considering the money I've blown on other hair treatments. Plus I can use this for cooking. I have butt-length hair that gets dry and frizzy, and this stuff is a god-send. I slather it into my hair and clamp it up for a while then take a shower and wash it out. Et voila: dream hair! Or sometime I just dab a little in my hands an run it through to leave in. Never would have tried it if it wasn't for MUA.

EDIT: I WOULD use this on my face, and I have, as a cleanser. I take a dallop and massage it into my skin for a couple of minutes, then take dry wash cloth and rub it off. You would not believe all the dirt it take out of your skin, disolving blackheads, etc. After I wipe it off, I wash the oily residue with my regular cleanser. AWESOME. And cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by bjspa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow, I never realized there were so many other coconut oil fans out there! I got onto it after using the Pure Fiji range (they use coconut oil in many of their products) when I was honeymooning in Fiji. So I thought, "Forget all the cosmetic hoopla, why not go to the source?!"

I am a HUGE fan of this oil for moisturizing my body. In the past I would slather on a lotion and then look at my legs a few hours later only to find they looked dry. This isn't the case with coconut oil. My skin is smooth and supple all day long.

I live in Sydney, Australia and it's summer now and humid at times. I tend to use the oil after a morning shower and then put on shorts and a t-shirt, but if I'm going straight out and getting dressed 'properly' I have to hold off on the oil as it's a little slick when it's so hot. But then I just put it on at night.

I also buy the organic extra virgin version, it's about $12 for a 500g tub, which is much cheaper that other moisturizers that don't such a great job.

Plus, someone once said to me, "Imagine your skin is a thousand little mouths, would you eat the creams you put on your body?" Coconut oil makes me feel better about not putting toxic products on me.

I noticed under the sugar post that some people mix sugar with coconut oil and it makes a great face and body scrub - that's my next experiment.

I've now started to use it in my hair after reading other posts and I might give the teeth whitening a go also. Thanks to all for contributing and expanding my coconut oil obsession!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 2:36:00 AM More reviews by andrearachell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fantastic skin moisturizer.
i use the organic virgin oil (easy to find in health food stores)
makes skin soft and not greasy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by MellyHelly

I like coconut oil for my hair as it makes it shiny and softer!
I've tried packing my hair with oil before shampooing but it takes time and lots of washing out, so I have a faster way to use this natural oil: I mix a teaspoon of oil to my normal dose of conditioner (about 3 teaspoon) and use it as a normal conditioner.
My hair is long, dry, fine, frizzy and breaks easily.
I've tried many things to make it softer and bouncy and to protect it from damage. I gave up dry-blowing and avoid all chemicals fixing products. I tried silicones for hair, but they made nothing but making my hair heavy without nourishing.
Lots of money wasted, no product endured re-buying.
This coconut oil+conditioner mix helps me detangle my hair while still wet, very patiently without tearing. It rinses well without leaving my hair greasy.
After drying my hair is soft till the ends and for a pair of days I can go on without knots.
I live in a big city where air is filled with pollution and tap water is hard. I think these played a major role in my hair (and skin) corrosion.
By nature my hair is wavy and frizzy anyway, it's naturally nourished till 10-15 cm from roots and it becomes drier and drier down to the ends.
Ends and outer layer are actually ROUGH and half-broken. After 3 days without washing and nourishing it becomes so tangled I have to wet it and put conditioner to detangle it curl by curl before shampooing.
The truth is I should cut off 20 cm.
The only thought almost makes me cry. I never go to a hairdresser, I actually hate hairdressers, their attitude, their cutting-off obsession, their hair-tearing manners for drying, their times, their noisy saloons and their prices!! I hate when they have no patience to gently comb my hairstrand by strand and they tear it instead. After all it's their job.
It only takes me 5 minutes to do it at home, you just need going with soft hand. They become nervous at my knots and say: "Your hair is "chemically treaten", which is not, just to charge me 6-7 euro for a small amount of cream.
So I insisted in keeping my hair longer possible, less layered possible and patiently cared about. It's almost waist-lenght now (if straighten), apparently not growing anymore.
I gave up SLS shampoo and it helped to stop scalp irritation, even if that comes mainly from smog. I always condition after washing using mainly Garnier Fructis or a Lavera.
When my hair is covered with conditioner and combed I pour about 1 teaspoon of coconout oil on the final 10 cm and I massage in. I especially use coconut oil in summer, while in winter I mostly prefer almond oil with identical use. After 1 minute or so I wash out and put in a towel.
I leave it to dry on its own or sometimes I briefly blow-dry
I use this method every 2 days, in order to keep my hair clean from pollution and don't let ends become entangled. In days between a shampoo and the next one I put the tiniest amount of coconut oil (almond oil) on my rough ends to keep them soft.

This method helped me to nourish and protect my poor hair.
I'm not sure this could work for heavy and oily hair.
I've used coconut oil on my face but I didn't like it because it didn't moisturise well and made me break out.
All in all is a very good product if you have dry skin/hair and it's completely natural and inexpensive!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by HeatSeeker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil for my skin and hair. I alternate between using coconut and olive oil on my skin and its the most moisturized and soft its ever been in my life. Coconut oil also gives my hair great shine :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2009 11:43:00 AM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Greatest moisturizer ever. It makes my skins incredibly soft. It reduces those little bumps I used to have. My skin doesn't react well to lotions with dyes and perfumes in this, but with coconut oil there is no irritation. Plus, this stuff smells great and you can eat it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by asaltzer

I use coconut oil for almost everything - love it for my hair (I use after the shower for my long, course, curly hair) and I literally get compliments everywhere I go.

Use it on my body after a shower (warning, you do need to let it soak in before dressing!) I shower at night, so not an issue.

Have those bumps on the back of your arms? Try skin brushing and then Coconut oil. In one week - GONE.

I love love love this product - used to use expensive hair products, now I use only coconut oil. It's the bomb!

Get EV coconut oil though even though it's most expensive.

Tip - put some in a small tupperware container (really small, like for sauces) put in microwave to melt - then it's solid. I use it like a bar of soap to moisturize my whole body - works so easy!!!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by anuvasan

Ok, I had to write this as this is one of the staple oils in my pantry.

NOTE: I never use the brands we get in Indian/ Asian stores. Old stock very rancid and you will start hating the oil :-(

I have lustrous hair due to genes first and also the fact that my mom used to condition my scalp, hair and hair ends with coconut oil. My gran used to dry the coconuts and send it to mill for making pure coconut oil..we used to cook in this oil.

I dont use conditioner after shampoo..i have started using ACV rinse after shampoo as my scalp dries in winter. Once the hair is dry, i massage scalp with very little coconut oil and also to the ends of hair..this is the only conditioner which tames my thick hair and adds a natural shine to it. i love the smell so no qualms about using it.

It can be used as a makeup remover, moisturizer for dry skin, add to a bodyscrub, I use it on and off depending on my mood.

The best uses i personally found is that

1. My dogs love a spoon of coconut oil in their food. I have westies..Their coats are great, skin is supple..my allergic dog who used to itch and scratch al the time is now happy due to coconut oil, ACV (reviewed) and Fish oil (will review soon).

2. I take a tbsp of coconut oil in my morning smoothie. I started with a very strict regimen for my overall health in the past 1.5 months and it is showing surely on my skin. I really wish i involve myself in this regimen forever - my scatter brain never allows me to stick to one regimen faithfully :-(...so intake of coconut oil has shown on my skin (i also take a good fish oil supplement, so it can be that also, not sure). Most of all - i do beleive it has stopped me from gaining weight or i should say my cravings are less, i have not changed anything else so far. I dont want to sound like a quack here but it helps me (this is just my personal belief)...my thyroid level is normal which was not normal before and my cholestrol levels are great..Observing the blood report of what was done present and before the regimen, i can start to say positive things about coconut oil. I cannot take too much of prescription meds due to my autoimmune conditions so this has so far been a boon. I will surely update on this as i feel it is important to share.

3. I groom my dogs by myself. A light coat of coconut oil on the grooming shears, anything metallic like stripping combs are just feeling like NEW tools! The same with kitchen tools - knives, scissors....smear lightly and then wipe off with a paper towel after a day/ night..the tools looks and act new!

4. the first use of coconut oil was on my dog's hot spots and itchy paws..even a cortisone cream didnt clear it in a day but coconut oil just wiped off the spots.. cant beleive but its true. One thing is i added neem oil to coconut oil so that my dog doesnt lick off the paws :-)

Currently i use Nutiva. I have tried full fat coconut milk (wonderful hair treatment by the way), coconut butter..but i will keep the oil for ever.

Thank you!