April 23, 2014 | 1959 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by gingereg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EVCO has been one of the ONLY products that has completely gotten rid of those unsightly tiny bumps on the back of my arms. (The other product was a tube of $30 AHA body lotion that lasted less than a month.) For the price and quantity of product I will definitely stick with the EVCO. When I first got it I scooped some out with a spoon and put it in a smaller container (a small tub of some Sally Hansen foot scrub product that I had just finished off.) That was almost a year ago and I still haven't had to refill the small tub. A little bit goes a long way.
I have also used it as an eye make up removed-doesn't tug at sensitive skin and takes off my long lasting gel or creme eye liners.
I am going to try it in my hair this afternoon...we'll see how it goes...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I have thick, wavy Asian hair that misbehaves unless I aim a blowdryer at it and then straighten with an iron or curl with a barrel. It's rare I go without a straightener or a curling iron - I always feel like my hair is puffy and frizzy and unattractively wild. Coconut oil (I bought a massive tub of extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil from the Philippines, available at The Real Canadian Superstore's naturals/organic aisle) has enabled me to blowdry and go! I first towel dry with a microfiber towel, then blowdry. Then I take a small amount of the oil, rub it between my palms to liquefy, and then work it through the ends of my hair. Voila! Silky, bouncy hair that's not flattened by an iron or made up. At night I run a small amount through as well, and it gives my hair extra conditioning. The scent is pretty (natural toasted coconut), although it disappears within minutes. I bought my tub for about $20, but it will last me years and years. Still, cheaper versions are available out there - just make sure you buy the unrefined, extra virgin version.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2008 12:46:00 AM More reviews by huka07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I use extra virgin coconut oil from whole food market. I have been using this on my oily acne prone face as night moisturizer and my skin improves drastically. I don't have pimples on my face anymore we..one or two most compared to it used to be 5-10 at one time which I thought very weird..putting oil on my oily skin = acnes.
It's been at least 4 months using this oil on my face and my face is still line free considering I will hit 31 next month..aaahhh

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2008 10:25:00 AM More reviews by eiffadea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

my mom made it for me..so i feel safe to use it anywhere i wish..but i usually use it for my hair..leave it on my hair before i shampoo it,and put on a shower cap for 2 hours and let it soak into your hair and scalp before rinsing it with water or water with a lil bit of baking soda/acv..my hair is a lot more stronger,thicker,shinier,smoother,healthy..HG!!
UPDATE:this stuff is great!!i cn see a lot baby hairs start to grow all over my head..my hair looks fuller now!!yay!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by Peaches27

I bought this a few weeks ago because all that I have read on here.I bought almond oil as well. I have really only used this on my hair and body and tried the almond oil for my face- while it didn't hurt anything, I didn't really find it all that moisturizing. So, I think I may give this a try on my face but am scared because of acne issues. I have read in several places though on line that coconut oil is great for skin, and acne- though it is listed at comodegenic. So, I am just going to test it out on my chin for a few days before using all over my face.
I love how it feels on my body and makes my hair nice and soft...so hopefully I will get the same results on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2008 3:42:00 AM More reviews by beautiflaw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have only used this for tanning. I put it on before laying in the sun and I get an even tan with bonus moisturizing!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by crash247

I just tried this and I must say I LOVE it!!! I've tried so many conditioners,leave in treatments,other oils,etc.I have to say this is one of the best things I've ever tried.It smells wonderful,it's easy to rinse out,and my hair looks great.I have thick wavy hair that gets dry and looks it,but this made my hair so soft and gave it nice shine also.Will repurchase for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by acc929

I'm kind of in love. I had been worried that using this would be a mistake and make my hair a greaseball, but it didn't. That said, this takes a certain amount of trial and error for everyone, since everyone's hair is different. The first time I tried it, I put the tub in a sinkful of warm water and waited for the oil to liquify. I know now that this isn't necessary. Take a lump out, but it in your hand, and you can actually *watch* it melt. Plus, continuously melting the same oil isn't good because it messes with the bonds that make the oil a solid at room temperature, plus, it's more time consuming than it needs to be. Also the first time I used it, I left this on for over two hours and then shamooed twice (I also applied it to my roots). Unless you have greasy hair you really don't need to shampoo more than once, just make sure the shampoo you use is clear or transparent, not the thick, white, creamy kind (leaves residue). Now what I do is a take a lump in my hand, melt it, apply it from the ears down (concentrating on ends), throw my hair up in a bun, and leave it like that either overnight or for a few hours. Then, I shampoo once and apply conditioner sparingly. This doesn't make my hair look that much better, but it's scientifically proven that coconut oil strengthens the hair shaft from the inside. My hair is shinier and stronger, so hopefully now it'll grow faster :) You can also use this as a serum, but use it REALLY sparingly unless your hair is course, because it can make ends look a little stringy. Overall, good for your hair's health. Def. repurchase =)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by BluEyez1031

I use Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil from a jar, and I have to say, it has saved my skin! I was very skeptical of using an oil, but after suffering from acne for years and trying pretty much everything, I decided to give coconut oil a chance. I began putting a light layer on my face every night, and almost immediately my breakouts began clearing up and my skin tone became smoother and less red. I have now been doing this treatment at night for months, and it is a staple in my skincare routine. I don't care for the packaging, but with such amazing results, I can't complain!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by scarletraine

I found out this secret from the makeupalley site and I LOVE it. I use it for everything!

I started using it on my hair. Let me tell you...I spend SO much money on my hair. One of the things that I have been spending my money on is Ojon's hair restorative treatment (which is basically palm oil). It worked well, but as other reviewers have mentioned, the smell isn't that pleasant. Coconut oil does the same thing, without the unpleasant odor. Not to mention the price. As coconut oil is a solid right out of the jar, I dig a small amount out with my finger and rub it around my hand to warm it and turn it into an oil (ironically, this is the exact SAME process that is done with Ojon's restorative treatment). I then use my fingers to work it through my lengths. I wouldn't recommends this as an every day treatment, as it tends to look a bit greasy, but I think some people manage to put it on their damaged ends and that would probably work out well. I just work it though my entire head and put on a bandanna and sleep on it. Works wonderfully. In the morning, I was out my hair and it is soft and silky.

Since that worked so well, I started using it as a moisturizer. I was skeptical about using it on my face because...well, it IS an oil. But in combination with my baking soda/Cetaphil cleanser and apple cider vinegar toner it works perfectly. Moisturizes perfectly without clogging my pores. As a bonus, it also helps take away the smell of the toner, as the vinegar leaves my skin smelling like a stinky foot. I, then, started using the oil all over my body. I have MANY different moisturizers. I had settled on using L'Occitane's shea butter body balm, which is 25% shea butter. I LOVE it, but I don't love paying $40 per jar. I love it so much that the expensive jar goes awfully fast. I use it after the shower and before bed. Although I still use the body balm after the shower (I like the feel of shea butter better for the day...on hot summer days, the slip that coconut oil leaves behind can be sort of uncomfortable), I have replaced my nighttime routine with coconut oil. Saves me money and I wake up feeling soft and so, so silky. I also use a small amount of it on my lips.

I love this stuff so much, I have little jars of it everywhere. My health food coop sells little spice jars that I find PERFECT for storing the oil. Remember, a little bit goes a LONG way...usually all I need is a pinch, depending on the area.

UPDATE :: I started to use coconut oil on my hair after the shower. I smoothed in a small amount of the oil onto my lengths while my hair was still DAMP. Then, as my hair air dried, it gave it a piece-y, luxurious look...great with my highlights. My hair is naturally wavy and it defrizzes and moisturizes my hair while making it look like I put expensive product in my hair in order to style it. And it is so, so soft.

I saw my hairdresser a few weeks after starting to use the oil on my hair. She is the ultimate skeptic. When I started to tell her about the coconut oil, she was immediately unconvinced...until she started styling my hair. As she started to flat iron my hair out, she was amazed by how manageable and soft my hair is - the true test of healthy hair. She has become a believer...and ran out to the store for some coconut oil.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No