July 22, 2014 | 2527 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by MellyHelly

I like coconut oil for my hair as it makes it shiny and softer!
I've tried packing my hair with oil before shampooing but it takes time and lots of washing out, so I have a faster way to use this natural oil: I mix a teaspoon of oil to my normal dose of conditioner (about 3 teaspoon) and use it as a normal conditioner.
My hair is long, dry, fine, frizzy and breaks easily.
I've tried many things to make it softer and bouncy and to protect it from damage. I gave up dry-blowing and avoid all chemicals fixing products. I tried silicones for hair, but they made nothing but making my hair heavy without nourishing.
Lots of money wasted, no product endured re-buying.
This coconut oil+conditioner mix helps me detangle my hair while still wet, very patiently without tearing. It rinses well without leaving my hair greasy.
After drying my hair is soft till the ends and for a pair of days I can go on without knots.
I live in a big city where air is filled with pollution and tap water is hard. I think these played a major role in my hair (and skin) corrosion.
By nature my hair is wavy and frizzy anyway, it's naturally nourished till 10-15 cm from roots and it becomes drier and drier down to the ends.
Ends and outer layer are actually ROUGH and half-broken. After 3 days without washing and nourishing it becomes so tangled I have to wet it and put conditioner to detangle it curl by curl before shampooing.
The truth is I should cut off 20 cm.
The only thought almost makes me cry. I never go to a hairdresser, I actually hate hairdressers, their attitude, their cutting-off obsession, their hair-tearing manners for drying, their times, their noisy saloons and their prices!! I hate when they have no patience to gently comb my hairstrand by strand and they tear it instead. After all it's their job.
It only takes me 5 minutes to do it at home, you just need going with soft hand. They become nervous at my knots and say: "Your hair is "chemically treaten", which is not, just to charge me 6-7 euro for a small amount of cream.
So I insisted in keeping my hair longer possible, less layered possible and patiently cared about. It's almost waist-lenght now (if straighten), apparently not growing anymore.
I gave up SLS shampoo and it helped to stop scalp irritation, even if that comes mainly from smog. I always condition after washing using mainly Garnier Fructis or a Lavera.
When my hair is covered with conditioner and combed I pour about 1 teaspoon of coconout oil on the final 10 cm and I massage in. I especially use coconut oil in summer, while in winter I mostly prefer almond oil with identical use. After 1 minute or so I wash out and put in a towel.
I leave it to dry on its own or sometimes I briefly blow-dry
I use this method every 2 days, in order to keep my hair clean from pollution and don't let ends become entangled. In days between a shampoo and the next one I put the tiniest amount of coconut oil (almond oil) on my rough ends to keep them soft.

This method helped me to nourish and protect my poor hair.
I'm not sure this could work for heavy and oily hair.
I've used coconut oil on my face but I didn't like it because it didn't moisturise well and made me break out.
All in all is a very good product if you have dry skin/hair and it's completely natural and inexpensive!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by HeatSeeker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil for my skin and hair. I alternate between using coconut and olive oil on my skin and its the most moisturized and soft its ever been in my life. Coconut oil also gives my hair great shine :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2009 11:43:00 AM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Greatest moisturizer ever. It makes my skins incredibly soft. It reduces those little bumps I used to have. My skin doesn't react well to lotions with dyes and perfumes in this, but with coconut oil there is no irritation. Plus, this stuff smells great and you can eat it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 10:34:00 AM More reviews by asaltzer

I use coconut oil for almost everything - love it for my hair (I use after the shower for my long, course, curly hair) and I literally get compliments everywhere I go.

Use it on my body after a shower (warning, you do need to let it soak in before dressing!) I shower at night, so not an issue.

Have those bumps on the back of your arms? Try skin brushing and then Coconut oil. In one week - GONE.

I love love love this product - used to use expensive hair products, now I use only coconut oil. It's the bomb!

Get EV coconut oil though even though it's most expensive.

Tip - put some in a small tupperware container (really small, like for sauces) put in microwave to melt - then it's solid. I use it like a bar of soap to moisturize my whole body - works so easy!!!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by anuvasan

Ok, I had to write this as this is one of the staple oils in my pantry.

NOTE: I never use the brands we get in Indian/ Asian stores. Old stock very rancid and you will start hating the oil :-(

I have lustrous hair due to genes first and also the fact that my mom used to condition my scalp, hair and hair ends with coconut oil. My gran used to dry the coconuts and send it to mill for making pure coconut oil..we used to cook in this oil.

I dont use conditioner after shampoo..i have started using ACV rinse after shampoo as my scalp dries in winter. Once the hair is dry, i massage scalp with very little coconut oil and also to the ends of hair..this is the only conditioner which tames my thick hair and adds a natural shine to it. i love the smell so no qualms about using it.

It can be used as a makeup remover, moisturizer for dry skin, add to a bodyscrub, I use it on and off depending on my mood.

The best uses i personally found is that

1. My dogs love a spoon of coconut oil in their food. I have westies..Their coats are great, skin is supple..my allergic dog who used to itch and scratch al the time is now happy due to coconut oil, ACV (reviewed) and Fish oil (will review soon).

2. I take a tbsp of coconut oil in my morning smoothie. I started with a very strict regimen for my overall health in the past 1.5 months and it is showing surely on my skin. I really wish i involve myself in this regimen forever - my scatter brain never allows me to stick to one regimen faithfully :-(...so intake of coconut oil has shown on my skin (i also take a good fish oil supplement, so it can be that also, not sure). Most of all - i do beleive it has stopped me from gaining weight or i should say my cravings are less, i have not changed anything else so far. I dont want to sound like a quack here but it helps me (this is just my personal belief)...my thyroid level is normal which was not normal before and my cholestrol levels are great..Observing the blood report of what was done present and before the regimen, i can start to say positive things about coconut oil. I cannot take too much of prescription meds due to my autoimmune conditions so this has so far been a boon. I will surely update on this as i feel it is important to share.

3. I groom my dogs by myself. A light coat of coconut oil on the grooming shears, anything metallic like stripping combs are just feeling like NEW tools! The same with kitchen tools - knives, scissors....smear lightly and then wipe off with a paper towel after a day/ night..the tools looks and act new!

4. the first use of coconut oil was on my dog's hot spots and itchy paws..even a cortisone cream didnt clear it in a day but coconut oil just wiped off the spots.. cant beleive but its true. One thing is i added neem oil to coconut oil so that my dog doesnt lick off the paws :-)

Currently i use Nutiva. I have tried full fat coconut milk (wonderful hair treatment by the way), coconut butter..but i will keep the oil for ever.

Thank you!

34 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 6:30:00 PM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this on my face before going to bed at night. It's great especially in the winter when skin gets dry. My skin is on the oily side but gets a dry surface, especially in winter air. Although you wouldn't think it, it helps heal blemishes because it has anti-bacterial qualities. More than once i've put it on pimples (I tend to get bad ones around my chin) at night before going to bed and in the morning they are much improved and going away. Also something you wouldn't expect but it helps shrink pores, because the oil gets into clogged pores and dissolves them. Something about this oil just seems to be really compatible with skin. The only downside is it is very oily/greasy until it gets absorbed into skin, so i use it on my face only at night. It's also good on legs/arms too, but you have to use it sparingly so it's not too greasy until it has a chance to sink in.
***UPDATE*** I stopped using this on my face since trying jojoba oil, which has been better as a precleanse type of oil (leave it on for a minute then wash off with foaming/lather type cleanser) because it seems to dissolve more completely with the cleanser. HOWEVER, it is now my HG hair deep conditioning treatment. My hair, very thick to begin with with a semi-frizzy layer on top, after highlighting was just a freaky mess. The highlights were beautiful, but my hair, long enough that it's down to my bra strap, refused to lie flat no matter how much I hot-rollered and straightened it. Mayonnaise and the Matrix Sleek Look line were helping, but not enough. So I tried wetting my hair, soaking it with EVCO, and sleeping on it overnight. In the morning, I washed (one shampoo) and conditioned with Matrix Sleek Look as usual. After my hair dried and I started to hot roller it I had, to my delight, normal, shiny hair again that actually lays down and hangs the way hair is supposed to!!! Wow-- glad I tried it. I'll be doing this all the time now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2008 5:59:00 PM More reviews by 245am

i love my extra virgin coconut oil! i have the nutiva kind, it only costs me $10 and it's the best money well spent. i use it to remove my makeup, for my skin, for my hair...i need to get a new jar for eating, as i don't want to use the same jar i dip my hands in for my hair as i do for eating!

it is hands down the BEST makeup remover ever, removes those stubborn waterproof formulas and leaves no trace of liner. usually i just dip my fingers in the jar, get a little and spread all over each eye then gently wipe off with a tissue. i think it has helped revitalize and nourish my eyelashes as well, as my eyelashes have been curling very very well! last trip that i went home, i used some MU remover i had left in my bathroom and it sucked so bad! it's great on skin to hydrate, i've been using it instead of my usual cetaphil cream. i believe it has helped my KP aka chicken skin and my skin is smoother and is not as dry.

as for hair, i like to use the EVCO once a week as a treatment. i just slather it on all over my head and on my dry scalp to help it (i just moved to the east coast and this island girl is totally not used to it!!), tie it up in a ponytail and leave it alone for an hour. my bf likes to laugh at me when i do this, because my hair looks so greasy. then i shower and shampoo as normal, somtimes i'll also do an ACV rinse with my conditioner and that helps so i don't have to shampoo twice to get all the residue out. the result is soft, bouncy hair that feels healthy and nice to touch.

everyone should get EVCO, i haven't used it on my face, i think i'm too scared to, plus i have tons of skincare that i'd rather use up instead. i love my coconut oil, and ingesting a couple tbsp a day will make your skin glow from within and keep you healthy. defintitely recommend it to everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2008 3:17:00 AM More reviews by xTKOx

I LOVE coconut oil! I use it for nearly everything. I remove makeup with it, use it as a conditioner, shave cream, moisturizer, hand and cuticle cream. Everywhere I use it, it leaves me softer and smoother than before. Only downside is that my dogs always want to lick it off of me when I use it as a lotion, lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 12:36:00 AM More reviews by tanveer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros: hair is nourished from deep within as coconut oil is more penetrative than any other oil due to its low molecular weight, leaves hair soft, shiny,smells heavenly, actually reduces hair fall and dandruff.. can be used as base oil with rosemary and walnut essential oils. It is even excellent for the skin as it absorbs instantly, but it can be drying. Coconut Milk Oil is better for use on the skin..

Cons: cannot be used as a leave in conditioner, requires tons of shampoo to wash it off..

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2008 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ToxicBailey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my absolute favorite deep-conditioning hair treatment, EVER. I always slather a big amount in my hair & scalp, and leave it overnight when I plan to shower in the morning.
I can tell the difference immediately after I shampoo- my hair is noticeably smoother & softer. After using my normal conditioner & hair products and letting it air-dry, my hair is improved - BIG TIME. Softer, smoother, moisturized, and split ends aren't as noticeable.
I've tried tons of the deep conditioners that you use in the shower, but nothing even comes close to Coconut oil.
I've also started using this as a cuticle oil and it works GREAT!
I strongly recommend this!