December 20, 2014 | 1421 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Lissamz

I recently bought this product after reading all the 5-star reviews. I bought the Now Foods product from the Iherb site for about $10. I have used it for my hair, slather it on and leave for a few hours before washing and conditioning and my hair gets a lot straighter when I flat iron. As far as for the body, I mix it with a cheap lotion (about 1/3 cup coconut oil per 16 oz of lotion) and my skin is soft and moisturized. I even put it on my face and have had no problems with break outs. I love how my skin feels dewy after I put this on. I read somewhere that you could add this to your body wash and not need lotion after your bath, but I haven't tried that yet. I would recommend that every woman that cares for her skin would try this miracle product and see the difference in hair and skin, themselves.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by muaviewer

This is a review for the Parachute coconut oil:

My hair is naturally dark brown but for over a year, I was a blonde. Of course my hair is healthier now that I no longer highlight it blonde. But it still felt like crap after I coloured it back to my natural dark brown. My hair has only improved since I started using coconut oil. I use it twice a week and really slather my whole scalp and length of hair with coconut oil. I keep it in my hair for 6-8 hours. If I'm sleeping with it, I wear a disposable shower cap (you can get eight for $1 at Dollarama) and also put a thick bath towel on my pillow in case the shower cap falls off at night. After, I just wash the oil out with a clarifying shampoo or Head and Shoulders. I do not use a moisturizing shampoo since that wouldn't do as great of a job. Then you use conditioner after as usual. Anyways, this oil is better than a couple of Dabur coconut oils that I've also used. I also bought a cheap quality coconut oil which I cannot recall the name but it was no good. I also used something called Amla oil which is suppose to also be good for your hair but it didn't work as well as this. This coconut oil smells nice like coconut. The smell is similar to my high end coconut oil brand which I bought from Whole foods. The thing is, Parachute Coconut Oil is not the type you want to eat - it's meant for hair or skin even though it says you can cook with it. Anyways, I highly recommend this and it was like $3.50 CDN at a South Asian grocer for a 500 ml bottle.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2009 10:19:00 AM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

I love the way it makes my hair look after a deep treatment, but I wrote a separate review for Coconut Oil for use in the hair. Anyway, as far as it's use on the skin, it is amazing! I have mild eczema, and this helps keep it away. I use it in combination with a thick body lotion, and it is soooo moisturizing, and makes my skin unbelievably soft. I have also used it on my face, and I have combination skin sometimes prone to breakouts. It actually isn't oily on the skin, but serves more to balance it. A wonderful product! I am going to buy some more and try it in my cooking next!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by taliajune

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

If there was a word that was greater than 'love' I would use it to describe this product. I have NO need for conditioner since using this product and I have curly AA hair for reference. Unlike most conditioners which only have transitory surface effects, coconut oil's molecular structure allows it to penetrate the hair shaft providing optimal hydration and damage repair. Its also great because it contains both fatty acids and proteins which my hair loves. I simply apply a spoonful or less to damp hair focusing on the ends as a pre-shampoo treatment and leave it in for an hour-overnight. 2 washes with shampoo under tolerably hot water is all I need to get it all out. The result is well defined conditioned curls with hell-a-bounce! Extravagant results with little effort and a simple ingredient. I also use this as a night cream (burns my skin in the sun) and sometimes an all-over body moisturizer fresh out of the shower on slightly damp skin to seal in moisture. It is absorbent leaving skin with a non greasy silky feel that RADIATES. Coconut oil is truly a light non oily oil if that makes sense. Btw I use Nutiva EVCO- full bodied aroma and taste. Yes I cook with it as well. Contrary to popular belief coconut oil is highly beneficial for consumption and it boosts the metabolism and makes everything taste delicious and is a healthy way to fry because it can withstand high temps and will not oxidize and form unhealthy fats, plus the oil can be re-used with all of its abundant properties intact. It's great when used in place of butter be it for breakfast or baking etc. HTH! ENJOY!

**Update 04/05/09** As you know EVCO has anti-viral/ bacterial growth inhibiting properties. So, I recently contracted conjunctivitis (pink eye) and I applied a fingernails amount into my tearduct and rolled my eye around (it stung slightly).reapplied no more than 2 times during the day. Needless to say, the same day I contracted it-was the same day it was cured-and it didnt reoccur. This has also worked for breakouts. Trust me coconut oil can be so powerful you can even use it as deodorant (I tried it and worked out while at it; it doesnt block sweat-a natural bodily process, but it does stop the FUNK!) the only reason why I dont use it for this anymore is because of the oily pits issue staining clothes. who wants that?lol.

45 out of 45 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2009 1:40:00 PM More reviews by sephoraqueen

Coconut oil is the ONLY thing that will keep my skin pimple free. I haven't been using coconut oil for about a 4 months now, and my face is a testament. I'm going to go buy some today, that way I can have my beautiful crystal clear complexion back. Also, it works wonders for hair, nails and skin too. Plus, you smell SO good.
Also, its one of the best oils you can consume as well. This stuff is amazing!! Way better than olive oil.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2009 12:47:00 PM More reviews by babygirl218

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

(02/16/09)

i love love loveee extra virgin coconut oil. i get mine from the philippines, it's made the original way from fresh coconuts and have been hand made:) thanks to some of my family members that actually know how to that. this stuff is awesome.

for all you people that use hair masks once a week you should try this, it helps prevent split ends, trust me i've tried it and my hair is weak which means it's prone to split ends and breaking and my hair is also fine/thin. seriously this will make your hair shiny, soft, and stronger:) this is said to help dandruff, helps regrowth of dry and damaged hair, helps take away lice and lice eggs(friggin awesome right!) lol. what i do is before washing my hair i put coconut oil into my hair and scalp and leave it in there for as long as a want ranging form 15 in to 8 hours and then i wash it out with shampoo and conditioner. my hair was SOOOOOOOOO SOFT after this and it felt SOOO MUCH STRONGER. seriously try this.

i've also tried it as a skin moisterizer recently. okay my skin is sensitive and i have a light blush on my cheeks, my skin also changes with the weather so if it's winter my skin pretty much as dry as the sahara desert and when it's summer my skin is suuuupperr oily. but anyways, i had a pimple on my face yesterday right on the forhead after i washed my face i wasn't thinking about putting coconut oil on my face but alot of people from the philipines do and my gosh their face is sooo clear and they barly get pimples, so i put coconut oil instead of my regular moisterizer, using the coconut oil it actually took away that pimple in one day, it help my dry patches form winter wind and took that pimple right off! i'm loving this so far:)

Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin. The benefit of coconut oil on the skin is comparable to that of mineral oil. Further, unlike mineral oil, there is no chance of having any adverse side effects on the skin with the application of coconut oil. Coconut oil therefore is a safe solution for preventing dryness and flaking of skin. It also delays wrinkles(yay!:)), and sagging of skin which normally become prominent with age. Coconut oil also helps in treating various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections. Therefore coconut oil forms the basic ingredient of various body care products such as soaps, lotions, creams, etc., used for skin care.

once i run out of it though i will be askin my family to send me more but since shipping takes FOREVER i will be buying this at my local vitamin shoppe:)

i will start doing for my skin everyday and for hair once a week and i'll post an update in about a few weeks:)

(2/26/09)
wow i've been using this stuff for more then two weeks.. omg i have DEFiNETLY seen a difference in my face:) it's much clearer, i still get pimples though which is okay because this stuff is suppose to do that (it works deep in your skin to get the pimples out so they don't come back again) seriously though, this thing made my face sooooo SOFT:) before trying this i had REALLy REALLy dry skin due to this acne medication my doctor prescribe me with (bad bad choice) it chemicaly dried out my skin and i had like rough patches that you couldn't see but can DEFiNETLY feel it was just gross:(

coconut oil helped alot:) what i do is, i wash my face in the morning with neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser(omg this stuff is soo good i love it) then i put some coconut oil and just let it sink into my skin. yesss this does sink in so you don't look like you have an oily face the whole day. i love it and will continue on using it..

if you guys have any Q's feel free to send me a msg i'll be happy to answer any question you might have.

UPDATE 02.06.10
Wow it's been a year since i've tried this?? damn. well i'm BACK! and
the dry patches are DiFNETLY gone! but i stopped using this idk know why tho. anyways i used it today on my hair and my gosh.. SO SOFT. i don't even know why i stopped...well i think i'm going to start applying this on my skin again. I'm trying to get some whiteheads out so i shall be updating in a month or a week depends if i like it or not or if it works.. i might even post some pix on the progess.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 9:03:00 AM More reviews by SugarAz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fabulous! It's everything you need in one jar!
I like to melt it by setting it next to my heater while im filling up the bath, slop a whole load on my hair and let the steam from the bath do the work while I relax! Then just wash out for lovely shiny soft hair. (swear it makes it grow faster too).
Fantastic for dry skin also, soaks in really quickly.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2009 3:00:00 AM More reviews by klyde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this before swimming to protect my hair. I lean my head upside down, put handfuls of this semi-solid oil on, twist up my hair, and put a cap on. It's been working great and is not hard to wash out. Great stuff! I thought my hair was wrecked, like chemically changed, before I tried this. Now my hair feels and looks great again. (Love the packaging because glass is easy to recycle or breaks down if thrown away.) Also started using Aubrey's Swimmer's shampoo and conditioner and they are gentle yet wash this oil out and leave my hair soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by efrey14

AMAZING hair conditioner. It comes in solid form so you have to leave it out in your cupboard and warm it in hands to make it into it's oil form. I leave mine in overnight for deep conditioning and sometimes only put it in 10 minutes before my shower. LOVE how much it conditions without chemicals. I have easy-to-break hair and this has pretty much transformed my hair into soft and shiny locks. Don't waste money on Bumble and Bumble coconut mask (very expensive) when you can buy a HUGE tub of this on vitacost for around $5 plus shipping. Will always have on hand. No more conditioners (except maybe In-Depth from Sally's by Wella) for me!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by OutOfLine

Amazing! I bought mine in the Dominican Republic from a local when visiting a beautiful island. I've had it for a year and a half and still have some left! Because your relly do need just a little.
I use this as a body moisturizer after I get out of the shower.... or an hour before i take a shower i put it into my hair and then wash it out.
It happens to smel amazing!
Super cheap alternative to body moisturizers/cream.... its also great because you know its good for your skin considering its all pure and from mother nature herself =]]
Before I get into the shower I fill up my sink with hot water and let the bottle sit in it..... so it can melt.