April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE. a very good drugstore mascara at a fair price! i have found that since using Latisse and perfecting my lash-curling technique, a lot more mascaras work for me than before. this unfortunately leads me to believe that the better your lashes are naturally, the higher the likelihood that the average mascara will work well for you. another one of the unfair facts of life! anyways, onto this specific mascara: the brush is wonderful, with long, strong, evenly placed silicone bristles that do a fantastic job of separating lashes and evenly coating them with absolutely ZERO clumps left behind. i think that one of the reason this mascara is so non-clumping is that the brush leaves the tube with absolutely NO overabundance of product on it's bristles. HALLELUJAH! finally they have found a way to ensure that the proper amount of mascara is on the brush when you remove it from the tube without having to wipe it off and blot it on a tissue! another positive in design: the shape of the brush is tapered at the tip so that it's easier to get to the smaller inner lashes than it would be if you were using something blunt and non-tapered like the Lash Blast brush. in comparison to Lash Blast, which i have tried THREE separate tubes of and have intensely disliked each time, the bristles of One By One are longer, stiffer, and thinner, and therefore far superior at defining and utilizing each individual lash. as for volumizing, i would give this mascara a 3.5/5, which is just about perfect for me. i don't like the look of lashes that are so thick and coated that they are solid in circumference from root to tip (think of a lash shaped like a pipe instead of one that naturally tapers to a thinner point at the tip). the only thing i don't like this brush for is lower lash mascara application. for some reason, and it may be just me, i find it very difficult to coat my lower lashes with the brush and not end up smudging mascara onto my skin. not too big of a problem, considering all the other good points, i'll take it! the color, Blackest Black, is very dark and sooty and the formula is just right in consistency and remains all day with no smudging or flaking. it also washes off easily with my regular cleanser and leaves no residue behind. pretty much a good deal all around, and something that i will repurchase.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Chinesepicklegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a sucker for packaging, so when i saw this bright watermelon pink with teal writing, i was sold. This mascara has a nice brush, similar to the Loreal Voluminous Million Lashes. It thickens my lashes and gives lots of volume. I love it so far, but i am going to continue trying it for a while. It cost between $6-$7 at Walmart.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2010 8:29:00 PM More reviews by kathrynbrkroll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This mascara seems to be specific to the person using it, I will tell you it from my point of view based on my lashes first...
My lashes are not very long, extremely straight and pretty thin(but not scarce) for me this mascara was absolutly fantastic! It gave me amazing seperation which made it seem as though I had double the lashes that I do. It curled them and lengthened them till they were touching the bone above me eye! Wow I have never used a better mascara!
Now for girls with not so many eye lashes, I would stay away from this mascara, the defining will only make them look thinner and give the appearance of less volume.
Girls with more lashes but shorter, go for it! Boy will this work wonders for you!
I do feel that I should comment on the smell, which is pretty offensive. Smells like alcohol and chemicals. The smell dissapears completely though once dry, but be ready for it when you first apply it!
Don't let the smeel stear you away from this wonderful product though.. Try it, you wont be sorry!
Check out my new blog for helpful beauty and product tips! It's just getting started, help me to make it great!
I'd love your comments and opinions!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2010 2:01:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

I've tried every version of Volum Express, every version of Lash Blast and so on and this by far is my favorite. It gives me the length of The Falsies and the separation of Lash Blast. I like that it's a drier formula than The Falsies which is really wet and I have to wipe the excess off before each use. It's about on par with my favorite mascara which is NYX Doll Eyes. I still prefer that one but when I can't get to an Ulta store, this is my #2 mascara.

Oh, and I love the packaging, reminds me of the disco era for some reason.

EDIT: Changed my mind. I really loved this at first but it got flakey on me. Back to NYX. I loved the brush so I swapped out my Falsies WP brush with this one. It fits on the tube. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by sinkin2heart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update: Changing my review. I left this untouched for 2 months before I decided to use it up, and - I have to say - I'm so glad I did. The formula had thickened to a better consistency, so that when I applied it, it managed to separate my lashes and give me a good amount of volume.

As far as repurchases go, I would probably buy it again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initial review:

I purchased the waterproof version this product about two weeks ago at my local CVS. It was really an impulse buy, since I really didn't need a new mascara, but, well, I can't resist trying out a new product, especially one that claims to separate lashes and give volume.

First off, the mascara packaging: I think it's pretty good -- it definitely catches your eye, but can seem somewhat gaudy (it's red and green). As for the mascara wand, the bristle is of the plastic/rubber type, and is tapered at both ends, therefore making it easier to access the inner corners of the lashes. I have to say that this is one of the few rubber/plastic bristles I actually like, as it isn't as cumbersome as others I have tried (I'm talking about you, CG Lashblast).

As for the performance of this mascara on my lashes, I have to say that I'm underwhelmed, since it doesn't live up to it's claim to separate lashes AND volumize lashes. That's not to say that it's a bad mascara - it separates and gives good length - however, I can achieve that with other mascara formulas and a lash comb.

As for the wear, it's good. No smudging, no flaking, and no irritation, from what I've experienced, but this could be different with the non-waterproof version.

I'll relegate this to layering, or use it for a minimalist look, but I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Becky12

I bought this mascara hoping it would give me more volume than my everyday mascara, Full n Soft. I think it did that, but the lash separation that was promised just wasn't there. I got more lash separation from CG Lashblast despite the cool looking brush. I can't tell any difference between this mascara and Maybelline's Define-a-Lash line.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/8/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by plastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was hoping this mascara would be a separating version of my current HG, the Colossal -- or even a less dry version of CG's Lashblast Volume -- but I was completely underwhelmed. It does give nice separation if the "feathery" look is what you're going for, but for a mascara that claims to give "bold volume," it did not live up to its own hype. Also, the formula is not as good as the Colossal's; I experienced undereye smudging with this, whereas I don't have that problem with Colossal. I'd buy this again just so I could use the brush (which I adore!) with my Colossal.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2010 More reviews by Chiquilla01

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i bought this on sale, from Kmart.. Maybelline is 40% off, and i had a dollar coupon.. so i paid less than 4 bucks for this..

its not bad.. not HG, but it does the trick.. legthens more than thickens.. thats my only complaint..

Walmart carries this too, if anyone is interested..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 5:08:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

FYI: This review is based on only one use!
With that said, I purchased this in Blackest Black from my local Harmon's for $6.19. Overall, I'm VERY impressed with this!

Pros:
*Pretty coral pink color tube.
*The pigment of the mascara is very dark.
*The brush itself is very unique. The wand is shorter and lighter than most but I personally prefer it.
*Delivers on its claim to distribute even volume to lashes.
*Clump free.
*Added bonus: Lengthens (even though the packaging makes no mention about that)!

Con:
*Weird smell.

Tip: You will have better results if you use this from root to tip!

**Update: I've been using this for about 2 weeks now and I'm updating this to full on HG status (yes ya'll it's that serious)!!!! I use 2 coats of this with Loreal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black just at the base of my lashes for added depth. INSTANT FALSE LASH LOOK! Maybelline, PLEASE DON'T DISCONTINUE!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Per the package : Exclusive lash brush captures, coats and cleans every single lash for the most refined volume from root-to-tip. Instant clump-free volume.

I found this mascara while browsing around K-Mart. I don't shop there often and was surprised that I hadn't heard of this before. The packaging claims "bold & refined" volume and the brush looked interesting so I figured I would give it a try.

The packaging is decent, it's a just like the other Volum' Express mascaras except it's a shimmery pink/coral color with teal writing. The brush stem is shorter than most, which I like because I feel like it gives more control. I like the size of the brush as well. It has the rubbery spikes that so many mascaras have now (which I don't mind).

I got this in Very Black, which is like any other Maybelline mascara in Very Black :) It's a true black, not gray like some. The application is really effortless, it is a wetter formula so it glides on fairly easily. This is a volume mascara, and it does give volume after the first coat but on the first coat I noticed quite a bit of length and REALLY great separation. I like that this mascara doesn't leave my lashes stiff and that I haven't experienced any flaking or smudging (yet).

For the price (About $7), it's pretty good and I would probably buy it again. I couldn't find any information about it online except Target's website which says that it will be available in 2-4 weeks. I've attached several pictures of the mascara and the packaging and hope that it helps!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No