MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

Not miraculous but very very good nevertheless. In short, will produce beautiful, glowing, smooth and airbrushed results - PROVIDED you have clean, smooth, dry, exfoliated and unzitty skin. If you're covered in pimples, flakes or a cakey layer of dry skin then no matter how perfect your brush or fancy your foundation, you won't get decent results. When I use this with my MAC Face and Body foundation on calm, happy, freshly exfoliated skin I get beautiful results. When I used it on cleansed-and-moisturised only, haven't exfoliated for a week, spotty, dry or otherwise dull/cakey skin then the foundation catches, doesn't blend and makes me look orange.

So I would say yes, fantastic brush most definitely worth the hype, as long as your skin isn't bad. If it is, get it under control first before you splurge on any face makeup or brushes. But as far as brushes go, this one can't be beaten as far I'm concerned. It does shed a bit to begin with but this is to be expected and doesn't continue long in my experience. Cleans easily too - a few swirls in a palmful of water and gentle shampoo and the light part of the bristles go from cakey beige right back to brilliant white. It's so satisfying.

Expensive but worth it.

on 3/7/2009 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

My number one brush. I use this for EVERYTHING. Foundation, powder, blush, bronzer.

It gives a light and soft application that gives a natural airbrushed kind of quality to any product you apply with it.

Especially great for heavier texture foundations like creams

A MUST for everyone!

on 3/6/2009 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

HG HG HG!!! I LOVE THIS BRUSH!

I don't use it for foundation but instead use it for applying MSFs and pigmented blushes.

I bought a few VERY pigmented blushes from MAC (Love thing) and could not apply them without looking like a clown...even with a light hand. Before completely getting rid of them, I decided to give the infamous 187 brush a whirl.

Initially I couldn't figure out how to use this damn thing; I kept on 'swirling' like I would with a tradtional domed brush. After viewing some youtube tutorials, I learned that stippling was the key to using this brush successfully.

After mastering that technique, I am in LOVE!!!! This deposits just the right amount of pigmentation (also the 'shimmer' in MSFs) so I get a glow without looking like a clown or a disco ball. I've rediscovered all my neglected blushes because of this!!!

Yes, it's pricey ($42.00) but worth it. Very versitile, great investment! :)

on 3/5/2009 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am totally in love with this brush! I now know what all the raving is all about. Before this I bought the Coastal Scents pink stippling brush and the Philosophy airbrush brush. The CS brush works great for powders..I actually trimmed the white bristles on this brush a tiny bit and it was giving me an airbrushed look with liquid foundation....but with the Mac 187 you hardly need to make any effort...just stipple and swirl with a light hand and the foundation kinda melts into the skin...almost like butter...lol! The philosophy brush gives you more coverage but can give you streaks if you use a heavy hand. The Mac; no matter how you use it, the look is not too heavy...almost like your own skin..only more flawless! So, I like this brush the most!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

ohhh the skunk brush... for such a funky name, the results are absolutely amazing. i used to put my foundation with one of those typical brushes which would streak (also mac), with my fingers which is asking for a breakout, or with a makeup sponge which sucks half of my product into it. i am a firm believer in everyone has different products that work for them, but this is the ONE brush i believe can work on anyone. it's also multipurpose...go on youtube to see what else to use it for. this is my favorite brush and i can't imagine life without it. love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 3/5/2009 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS BRUSH! My friend kept insisting i purchase this brush if i was in need of a multi purpose brush that applies beautifully. It puts makeup on light or it can build it to a full coverage. From liquids to powders, blushes to highlighters it does the job very well. A must have brush.

on 3/4/2009 1:53:00 PM

This is the most amazing brush I have ever used and it has realy changed the way my foundation looks! The Studio Sculpt used to look very heavy but when I use this brush it looks natural and airbrushed. I really enjoy using it and I looked up some videos for tips which really helped me learn how to use it correctly.
The only thing I would say is that you need to wash it before you use it so that the loose bristles come out before you use it or they will end up all over your face!

on 3/4/2009 5:44:00 AM

I had read soooo many rave reviews about this seemingly cult product and after much deliberation decided to add it to my brush collection. I have to say, with such high expectations, I am slightly disappointed. I have the MAC 109 as well for the same purpose of applying liquid foundation and I have to say I far prefer it. I am able to buff my foundation in better with the 109 as it is far more dense and so gives a more airbrushed look. I find the 187 tends to leave streaks and is not so able to blend the foundation/ Having said that, I think if you use a light, fluidy liquid foundation it may be better as I use Revlon Colourstay which has the tendency to be dryer and less blendable anyway. Having said that, the 109 manages it fine.

on 3/4/2009 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I finally gave into buying the MAC 187 brush.. and it's AMAZING. I should have gotten it way way longer instead of spending money on other brushes that were just mediocre. Seriously, this brush does everything. You can use it to apply liquid foundation, mousse foundation, blush, bronzer and finishing powder. Everything looks beyond flawless. For foundation, I just stipple it on in dots around my face then swirl it around to get an airbrushed effect. It's well worth the price. It may look a bit stiff and prickly into the pictures but this brush is very soft and doesn't hurt my face at all. Love it! This is my favourite brush now and I honestly cannot live without it! It makes your face look gorgeously perfect. If your worried about the price, it's really not that bad. Considering this brush can do so much, it's just like one brush that does everything as opposed to a bunch of brushes that will cost more together than this single multi-tasking brush! :)

on 3/3/2009 4:01:00 PM

i used this brush for my bronzer, and it makes it look wonderful and very natural looking! L O V E it! :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials