November 28, 2014 | 1938 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 11:59:00 PM More reviews by justchar

I love Jojoba Oil and I have used Desert Essence, but have found a much cheaper version form HobaCare :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2007 8:57:00 PM More reviews by mich_kristen

I love this product. It is my HG moisturizer. I always apply a few drops
on damp skin after I wash my face. The only downside is the packaging.
It's very difficult to control how much product comes out. I always transfer
mine to a glass bottle with a dropper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2007 3:21:00 PM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using jojoba oil on and off for nearly 7 years now. Its a staple in my house.....fabulous moisturizer, use it for face and body. Sometimes I use it as a carrier for tea tree or lavender oils when I have extra breakout problems, or I use a drop in moisturizer when I am extra dry. This stuff has NEVER caused a breakout...and I am as acne prone as it gets. Will keep on repurchasing for the forseeable future.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 10:41:00 PM More reviews by kerrick22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best moisturizer for my sensative, acne-prone, combo skin! A great multi-purpose product for make-up removal, eye cream, and moisturizer. I use one drop for my eye area, and an additional two for my entire face. I swear the fine lines around my eyes are disappearing! Absorbs right in and leaves no greasy residue.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 1:19:00 PM More reviews by LeahLuvd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a couple years now. Started when I was using Retin-A and Obagi and it really helped. I stopped while I was prego and only recently started back to using it.

I started again because after my son. my skin started to be really tight and dry (which before I had oily/combo skin) and no matter how much moisturizer I put on- it still wasn't good enough. My skin was still tight and flakey.

I now put this on at night after my shower. I only use 2-3 drops and allow at least 30 minutes for it to absorb into my face.
I am acne-prone and this has never caused me to breakout. I agree that the packaging is lacking, but it works and is inexpensive so I'm happy with it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2007 5:02:00 PM More reviews by joonjooni

Packaging: Pretty awful - whenever I try to get a few drops out, oil leaks from the top and drips down, making the entire bottle greasy and slippery. Since I use the DHC cleansing oil, I just filled a used bottle with jojoba oil, which is a lot more convenient.

Usages: I use this for my skin and hair - for my skin, I'll use about two to three drops and a bit of aloe vera gel and massage it into my skin. When I first started using this oil on my skin, I got strange bumps (clogged pores, I guess) around my jawline and on my right temple (on the right side of my forehead). They didn't go away for about two months, but after prolonged use of jojoba oil, they cleared up. I used to have pretty acne-prone skin - particularly around my cheeks and chin, and now I rarely get pimples at all. For my hair, I use jojoba oil, honey, and conditioner in a hair mask around three to four times a week - it makes my hair incredibly soft, shiny, and manageable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 7:40:00 PM More reviews by brighid_karis

I'm editing my original review here. I still think this is very good stuff, but I'm not using it the same way I did before. Mainly, I now use it as about 25% of my OCM mix, with 75% castor and 25% grapeseed oil. It works wonderfully in that. I also occasionally add it to hair conditioner or use it to tame some frizzies. Usually I use my whole OCM mix on patches of dry skin on the body, but sometimes I'll just rub in a few drops of jojoba oil, as it's a very light oil that soaks in pretty quickly and makes a good moisturizer.
Disclaimer: As with ANYTHING, you can have allergic or comedogenic reactions, depending on your individual skin and immune system. Finding a good, 100% pure oil can help prevent this, but it's possible to have a reaction to the oil itself. In other words, just because so many of us on MUA love it, don't expect miracles. That said, it does seem to be common to experience some breakouts when first using this or just about any new product on the skin. Unless you're having a really bad reaction, try sticking with it to see if your skin calms down. It's fairly inexpensive and readily available from organic food stores and some drugstores, so there's not too much to lose.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2007 4:26:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

Love it! Finally an organic moisturizer (without parabens--yippee!) and other added junk. Makes my skin so happy and moisturized. Just wish there were a better way to dispense it--it can make a mess!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2007 10:52:00 AM More reviews by reviewgirl07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am really hoping for HG status with this one. Like many others have said before me, I am at wit's end with moisturizers and skin care in general. No matter what I do, I still break out and get clogged pores(I have combo-sensitive skin). I found this at Whole Foods, and so far everything is great. I have applied it to both a dry and damp face, and found that a damp face is better for absorption. This makes my skin feel super smooth and very hydrated, but not greasy. I also suspect it's healing some recent acne scars. Really feels like there's nothing on my face. I use the equivalent of about 3 drops, and for me it's the perfect amount. The top can be tricky, but I found that if you only push the top down to where the opening is only half-way, it is much easier control how much comes out. I am still waiting to make sure this doesn't break me out, but I usually react quickly. Hurray!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by a1issa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, I just started using this as a nighttime makeup remover a few days ago, after experiencing a crop of whiteheads from Pond's Cold Cream. I have a hard time removing my mineral makeup (I really layer it on to cover my acne scars) so I need an oily product to really get it off. I also have pretty dry skin right now from the heat being permanently on, so any makeup remover that will add moisture instead of stripping it away is a huge plus.

I've been putting a few drops on a cotton square and wiping off all of my makeup. Then I take a warm, wet washcloth and do a final wipe to make sure that I've truly removed all of the makeup. So far I'm finding that if I wanted to get *everything* off with the jojoba oil, I'd have to use a second cotton square. However, the washcloth removes the remaining makeup, so it's all good.

After makeup removal, my face remains soft, supple, and moisturized. I'm hoping that by following up the jojoba oil with the washcloth will help to prevent the problems that others have experienced with pore-clogging & breakouts.

UPDATE: I am *clogged* all over the place... in places where I've *never* had pimples before. Could it residually have been from the cold cream? Or was it the jojoba...? I don't know, but I'm staying away from them both, and taking off my makeup w/ a washcloth & water alone. I think glycerin will be my next experiment once my face is back to normal...