July 31, 2014 | 1095 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ChameliAsh

Oh man, I stumbled upon this product on MUA and after reading so many wonderful reviews, I thought I had found my perfect moisturizer that would cure all my skin problems. This is great stuff, but it isn't a miracle product for me. I didn't have very problematic skin to begin with-- some blackheads on my nose and chin and occasional breakouts. I think whatever skin problems I have must not be the result of the products I'm using, but rather the result of hormones/diet. Anyway, here are the pros and cons for me:
PROS:
- This stuff is CHEAP! yes!!
- Best eye makeup remover ever. Take a few drops and massage it around your eyes for a few seconds, and then wipe off with a cotton pad before washing your face-- all (and I wear a lot of eye makeup) of the makeup will be gone in one swipe. It's not irritating at all.
- I only needed 2 drops of this to moisturize my whole face.
- It really does soften skin
- It did clear up my pores somewhat-- blackheads/clogged pores aren't nearly as stubborn and pimples run their course and heal much faster. My pores are clearer on my nose and chin.
- Great as an addition to shampoo to relieve dry winter scalp
- I SWEAR it has made my eyelashes a lot longer!!

CONS:
- Packaging-- get an eyedropper bottle or contact solution type bottle to put this in.
- I've been using this for 6 weeks, and for the first month I definitely had more breakouts (I rarely used to get blemishes that turned into full swollen pimples)-- I'm assuming this is the "purging" that other reviewers have described. While the severity of the breakouts has decreased, I still get them (bumps, not full pimples)-- more than before I used this as my main moisturizer. This is a problem because even bumps/clogged pores cause hyperpigmented marks that take a very long time to disappear.
- This isn't hydrating enough for my cheeks/around my mouth in winter.
- After a while it felt like the product wasn't deeply moisturizing-- like it was just sitting on top of my skin.

I'll definitely buy more of this when I run out to use as a makeup remover and addition to shampoo. And I think I'll try using just one drop of this in addition to another moisturizer. But it's not an HG for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2007 2:49:00 AM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I like using this stuff when I am taking acne medication because my skin can be so dry and flaky. This helps eliminate that and much more. It makes my skin glow and the tone in my skin looks so much better. I use this at night after I get out of the shower because that is when my skin is still moist. After a few minutes it sinks into my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2007 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Lutskis1

I'm slowly but surely figuring this stuff out. I have been trying to figure out the right amount to apply to my face...I think that due to the packaging I'll have to buy a dropper of some sort so that I only use a bit at a time. Lately I've been wasting too much of it trying to just get it out of the bottle. Regardless, I think I really like this. I'm still tweaking my technique and how much I use, but I've been using it religiously at night (along with my Desert Essence Daily Essentials Moisturizer) and love the combination. My skin is moisturized and really does appear clearer and with more of a glow. I haven't used this during the day yet, as I seem to always be quite shiny after it's appplication; however, I'm thinking once I get this down pat I'll be able to use it anytime. It's been fantastic for me as the temperatures have been dropping in NYC, not mention I can find it at the health food store close to me and it's less than $10! For reference, I have somewhat sensitive, combination skin with a tendency toward hormonal blemishes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 9:27:00 PM More reviews by kims3142

An amazing find... I have very oily very cystic acne prone skin, but I also flake like crazy with all the BP and exfoliating I do - also living in New England doesn't help! But this little bottle has smoothe me out. I am just getting over a huge breakout and was peeling like mad - I couldn't even put on concealer, the skin would just flake off when I brushed some powder over it. I put a few drops of this on damp face with damp fingers and voila! A bit shiny, but it absorbed so well and my flakes were not noticeable at all. So affordable and simple, I cannot recommend this product enough for those with oily yet flaky skin. It is not an oil, it is a plant wax-see wikipedia-and does not make you break out or get oilier. Moderation is key and don't strip your skin, it makes things worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2007 3:52:00 PM More reviews by SephoraMonster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

See.....THIS is what i'm talking about. pure, simple, jojoba oil. why can't we just be happy with something this simple and inexpensive? why. why, why, WHY. instead, i live in an extremely dry climate and break out into rashes and end up needing to spend $$$$$$ on some fancy thick facial cream that has paraben preservative irritant CRAP in it. this is a losing battle. i feel dejected.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2007 9:54:00 AM More reviews by palegirlsrule

Wow-my skin looks so much better after only a week of using this. I mixed up a little concoction of 3 parts jojoba oil and 1 part Desert Essence Tea Tree/Lavender Oil and use it at night after washing my face. It soaks in and in the morning I wake up with glowy, clear skin. I'm just amazed that something so simple can be so great.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2007 3:53:00 PM More reviews by 011705

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

And 6 months later, I'm still loving this, just as much as I did that first day! :) It makes my skin glowwww! I'am so amazed by this little oil. I agree with the reviewer below... apply to damp/wet face with damp/wet hands! My boyfriend, who also started using this when I did (&suffersfrom cysts.. his skin has never been clearer), still uses this and it's the only thing he uses. I hate the freaking packaging though. I transfer it to a different one.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2007 1:36:00 PM More reviews by dreamsome

i can't say i would buy this again... i have so much left and haven't touched it in months. when my skin was really dry i would mix a few drops with moisturizer and it would make my skin look awesome. but by the end of the day it was actually quite dry as it lessened oil production. i didn't care much for it on my body either and i would never let it touch my hair! i have incredibly soft hair (which is nice to the touch- but also thin and annoying) on its own without having to add moisture.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2007 8:21:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love this oil. Since I do have to use benzoyl peroxide every day and glycolic acid to keep my pores clean, I absolutely have to moisturize, and this oil is the only thing I can use. Just need a drop or two on clean, moist skin. It really fools my skin into thinking that it has enough oil, so I don't produce much oil now.

From wikipedia: "Unlike common vegetable oils, jojoba oil is chemically very similar to human sebum."

There will be a sheen for a few minutes, but it goes away. If you're battling acne, you should use the following routine, and it will go away with continued use!

1. Cleanse with mild, non-soap product
2. While the skin is moist, with wet hands, rub 2 drops of the oil between your fingers and gently rub on the face.
3. Apply 2.5% benzoyl peroxide all over the affected areas. This percentage is proven to be as effective as 5% or 10% but without all the irritation
4. Use a 5-10% AHA product daily to keep pores clear - this is a must. I personally like glycolic acid. You should start with 5% and use an entire bottle so that your skin can adjust to it.

Don't use this on your feet if you plan to wear flipflops or sandals because it makes the color from my shoes bleed onto my feet - sad but true; but it's probably true of any oil.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2007 11:04:00 AM More reviews by tinerda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i love this, i use it on my face and it makes it so dewy and nice, i used to have dry skin now it is great, also i dunno why everyone complains about packaging, i think it is fine.