April 17, 2014 | 1460 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was shopping for a mascara as I had left my "My Biggest Lashes" at our other house (perhaps on purpose so I would need to get a new mascara!). I was in Walgreens yesterday waiting for a prescription to be ready and went up and down the makeup aisles. This was on an end cap display as something new from Maybelline. Maybelline eye makeup was buy one get one 50% off. I had actually wanted to try the new Revlon mascara that makes your eyelashes grow and that was also buy one get one 50% off, but there was nothing else I wanted from Revlon, so I went for this. I thought about the other thing to get from Maybelline and considered the Falsies mascara, but I worried that it would clump, so I played it safe and got an eyeshadow single in Turquoise Jewel, an eyeshadow I lost on a cruise more than 2 years ago that I missed.

Okay, first me. I have long lashes and plenty of them that already look good and could use some thickening but I'm fine with just enhancement as long as there is no clumping. This mascara did not clump and did separate my lashes well and enhance them. I bought the non-waterproof version and tried it on in the parking lot and it worked great. The formula is just the right consistency to give me naturally defined eyelashes. They are not stiff or spidery and the blackest black really is a very very black black. I look really good. So why the overall rating of 3 and no I won't buy again? It smells awful! The smell of this is just so chemically that I thought for sure I got one that had gone bad. I took it back to Walgreens and showed it to the customer service lady and she said she has the same mascara and this is how it smells. She said all other volumizing mascaras from Maybelline smell like this. So, I will use this as it does work well. But the smell is something I don't think I could live with as it doesn't go away for a very long time after applying. I think about 45 minutes.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2011 4:16:00 PM More reviews by SupernovaSky

This is my new favorite mascara for a natural look.

I have the waterproof version and it really holds a curl all day with no flakes. The very black color is indeed, VERY black. The wand is magnificent...no excess product, and it separates EVERY LASH. This brush is far superior to the CG Lash Blast brush.

However, this is not a mascara for those wanting 'wow' lashes or a very dramatic look. It doesn't lengthen too well or thicken the lashes very much. It does however come through on it's promise to separate and define the lashes One-by-One.

I love it! But for night time I will stick to mascaras that provide a more dramatic effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by hwatkins8278

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVVVEEEEE One by One. this is so awesome. I didnt want to wash it off!! the length and volume is so awesome. I would use this during the day. it looks natural but yet soooo beautiful. and Falsies Drama. at night. that show more of a DRAMATIC look. Maybelline I love you. You are getting BETTER AND BETTER!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by melindamac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this one! But then Volum' Express mascaras except the turbo! This one give me nice length and thickness. If I had never tried the Falsies Then this would have been my favorite. It like a cross between Lash Blast and Colassal. I like to use it after I use Colassal or Falsies to declump and define.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by blondepearl

This is okay... more for natural looking subtle volume, not a false lash effect such, as well, Maybelline's last Volum' Express mascara, the Falsies. The tupe has a "wiper", a barrier that removes excess from the wand, similar to L'oreal's Volumize Million Lahes. It's not a bad mascara, more for the almost high fashion effect, which doesn't always mean the boldest lashes possible. But would I buy again? Probably not.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Wildangel105

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

REVIEW IS FOR THE WATERPROOF VERSION
---

I've been hunting for Maybelline's new lines all month. Yesterday I visited Walgreens and saw this mascara on display, along with the new Fit Me line. Well, Fit Me was too yellow for me BUT I did pick up a tube of this mascara to try. It was about $7.99, which is a tad more than Falsies, which I was currently using.

First off, the brush. I love this brush alot more than the Falsies brush. It just seems to stay cleaner, less clumpy and generally terrifying looking. Infact, the brush stays so clean that even when you pull it out of the tube, it looks like barely any mascara is there.

Second, application. When you begin to apply this mascara, it starts off a bit light-- coating every lash, no clumps. And I'm prone to clutz moments and this brush never once got on my upper lid (yeahhh, I can be a bit derp with the brush). I built the product up to three coats (!!!) with no clumps. Instead, the payoff was black, lush lashes that looked long and dark. I usually have to use a clean spoolie on my Falsies application to "clean up" to get this look, so definite plus to One by One.

Third, did it last? Yes, it did! I wore it for New Years and I was in and out of a house. It never raccooned or flaked! AND it held my curl (a major thing for me)! Hours later, it still looked as fab as when I first applied it.

All in all, this has replaced Falsies as my HG mascara. Great mascara, affordable price, dark lashes, no cooning. Pick it up!

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

After trying many mascaras after this one, this one doesn't WOW me anymore. Yes it separates and doesn't clump as easily as some others do. I get a little volume but there are better ones out there. This is just OK over all.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2010 10:43:00 PM More reviews by kilyblst08

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I feel like this will be a mascara that will be divided between those that love it and those that think it's simply okay. I will be part of the latter group. Mainly because the consistency of this mascara is strange and one that will be of personal taste. It's very mousse like, and very sticky. It's not especially thin or thick, yet both at the same time. Almost like it was designed to be wet without the problems that come with wet mascaras. (namely, clumping) I find the consistency does help give me both volume and length without clumping, although it tends to stick lashes together especially with the blasted plastic-bristled wand this mascara has. The Colossal never stuck my lashes together and neither did Falsies. (Albeit the latter did clump them together.) The mascara tends to glob on the wand from time to time which makes it difficult to work with. The mascara is plenty black; I don't think I've ever ran into issues with Maybelline's mascara pigmentation. It doesn't flake as bad as some other Volum' Express mascaras but it still does flake a bit, I have the non-WP. All in all it's not an impressive, innovative or even great mascara on any level, but not a horrible one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by aliskey62389

I am a fan of the definition of the "Maybelline Great Lash" and the volume of "Maybelline the Collossal Volum' Express," but this mascara tops them both. I have only bought the waterproof blackest black, but this mascara has definition AND volume. I hate when mascaras clump or aren't wet enough to apply, this mascara does neither, but instead has a very good consistency and is easy to apply. Best drugstore mascara to date!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 9:05:00 AM More reviews by ouija

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Maybelline has lost its mascara mojo, between this trainwreck and the disaster that is Falsies. There is nothing 'one-by-one' about this mess...it stuck my lashes together so completely that each eye looked like it had 5 really fat lashes, instead of a full flutter. And it left wee little clumps at the tip of several lashes which I then had to painstakingly comb out...one by one. This mascara gives the same effect as Falsies...spikey, fake and harsh. I've been using both of these in the past 4 weeks and seriously cannot tell them apart. The only thing I like about OBO is the bright watermelon tube...and that's the only reason it got two pathetic stars. It's unfortunate when the outside of a product outshines what's inside.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No