September 2, 2014 | 2020 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Katie75007

I love the finish of this foundation, but I will say that "sheer" is not the adjective I would have chosen to describe it. It leaves a gorgeous, flawless finish, but I think it's definitely on the medium side of the coverage spectrum. That said, I do love it -- it makes my pores seem to disappear, and it evens my skin tone very nicely. My skin is on the dry side, and it never looks cakey or thick. I bought the pump (from NARS) to go with this, and it makes it so much more convenient. It can be difficult to work with; I find that it doesn't blend easily when my skin is dry. If I moisturize right beforehand, it blends better.

I had actually dismissed Sheer Glow (after initially falling in love with it) when I realized that Mont Blanc was too dark for me; even when sheered out, my face ended up being a different color than my neck. I assumed that Siberia would be too light / too yellow for me -- but I have since discovered that Siberia is the actually one of the only foundation shades that matches my neck perfectly and makes my complexion uniform -- so for this, it immediately achieved HG status. It's much lighter than NC15, and it's honestly one of the lightest shades I have ever seen, which is perfect for me. Even though it leans yellow, it neutralizes the redness in my face perfectly. Of all of the foundations I try, I always go back to this one. I'm in love with SG again! :D

(For reference, my skin is approximately NW5-10, and Siberia is a spot-on match.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 12:35:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The Sephora MUA matched me with Ceylan, I'm somewhere between NC 15 NC 20ish, she was skeptical to match me because I got the impression either she herself did not like the foundation OR there would'nt be a good match for me...now I'm thinking the latter. This applies nicely but I look like I'm wearing a yellow mask, as the foundation sets/day goes on it accenuates and sets in fine lines which make me looks worse and aging with no glow noticed.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

As I said in another post, when it comes to foundations I sometimes think I'm in a MU upside-down world.

After trying many foundations touted as full coverage - all of which had the coverage of a tinted moisturizer, at best (FitMe, the new one by Too Face, just to mention two) - I stumbled on a generous sample I had of this foundation described as 'sheer.' And what do you know, I get beautiful coverage (yes, I was sober when I put it on). This is NOT sheer. It covers beautifully without looking heavy and masky. The color, Fiji, which is described as for light skins with yellow undertones, is perfect for me. At first I thought "Wow, yellow!" (in artificial light). But I was surprised to see that in natural light, it matches my skin to perfection. I set it with my beloved MUFE HD powder and it looks great.

Staying power: I have oily skin so I never expect any fdt. to stay pristine-looking all day. I have to blot this, but no more often than I have to do with other foundations. It has a bit of shimmer, which I like, and I can tone down with powder.

All in all, I might get a bottle of this (I have so many now). I will also try the 'matte' version for summer. This is the sort of 'sheer' I can deal with. Heck, this is the sort of full-coverage I can deal with. ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by princess101

For reference I have combo-oily skin, with the majority of my oil concentrated to the t-zone. To use this, I MUST wear a primer on my t-zone or risk patchiness and a glare across my forehead. The primer I use is Nars (without SPF) and it adheres and blends beautifully over my skin. It is more forgiving than the Sheer Matte version, as I have more time to blend before it dries and I'm not forced to use my fingers to apply. I find that it doesn't empahsize dry skin or flakes as much as the Sheer Matte (you must be well exfoliated/moisturized prior to application), but it does settle into fine lines. I can usually rememdy the problem if I apply primer to my entire face, but some days it can feel a bit heavy to wear such a full-face, especially during warmer weather.

I have tried this with other primers (silicone based) and they did not work so well together. The primer became gummy and at times, the foundation just seemed to slide around and not blend in. I did try this with Smashbox, which is 60% water-based but it was a fail. I would advise using this with Nars, as it is fully water-based (so I was told).

I purchased this in the shade Ceylan (Light 6) which is the same as my Sheer Matte. This seems a tad bit lighter, but with proper blending, it is unnoticable.

The finish is very natural, almost satin-like and I only need to blot my t-zone once, maybe twice a day. I usually set with Maybelline Oil_free Loose powder, and then spritz with Urban Decay All Nighter Spray. With this method I'm able to lock in the foundation, but retain the dewy effect.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Lisaanthony7

I really wanted to love this product.I have never spent this much on a foundation before,and I read all the reviews an did sooo much research and decided to invest in this in the shade cylan. It did match my skin perfectly and gave it a nice finish,but after about an hour my face was already shiny and my face is never that oily! I will be returning this product and trying out makeup forevers matte velvet,hopefully that works out good for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Petunia1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this product in the shade Punjab. For reference, I am a NW30 in MAC Foundation and my old NARS foundation shade (the discontinued foundation) was Budapest. I have combination skin so I felt like Nars Sheer Glow worked well to absorb oil and create a luminous look without making my skin shiny. Although this is "sheer glow" foundation, the coverage in my opinion is more of a medium-buildable. I have been using NARS foundation for years and I've always felt like it was the best, especially color-wise.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2011 10:27:00 AM More reviews by PattyLovesMakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Hazel

My go to nighttime foundation. I adore this foundation so so so much. I like to wear it at night because it doesn't have SPF, so it's great for photos as well. I love how this makes my face look. It's not a heavy coverage, which I prefer. It gives my face a beautiful glow. I love it and I think it's worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 7:05:00 PM More reviews by GreekLady22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is an nice foundation. Gos on smooth and feels weightless. I didn't noticed any *Glow*. I found it to be very sheer very little coverage, for myself I wear foundation to even out my skin and it's does that. Its buildable coverage tho. The best thing about this product is .. I have yet to break out!! Knocks on wood. I have very sensitive skin and nearly everything breaks me out ESP foundation, loved M.a.c studio fix awesome coverage flawless but it broker me out badly.

I hate that there's no pump! WTH

I hate the packaging it gets dirty so quick , smudges all over and everything.
Will Rebuy!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I really wanted to love this foundation, based on all of the rave reviews online. I tried it in the color Deauville, which was a decent match for my NC20ish skin. At first, I was really amazed with the coverage that this gave - I hardly needed concealer on my undereye circles or acne spots. But, fast forward a couple of hours, and my love affair ended there.

This foundation just "sits" on the skin, and in oily zones of the face, it will wear off in patches. I have tried using with primer underneath, with powder on top; applying with fingers, with sponge, and with brush -- all to the same end effect. It starts off looking great and gives flawless skin, then looks like a hot mess.

Overall, I would sadly NOT recommend this foundation. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2011 8:06:00 AM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After another morning of trying to make this foundation work for me, I've decided that I really don't like it. I bought it while I was living in Thailand, when my skin was oily, and I had no problems with it. I even bought two colours, one matching me while I was in Thailand, and one I could use after I returned home. However, I can't use this at home. My skin is not extremely dry, it's dry to normal, but for some reason this foundation has a talent for finding dry patches, even those that are not visible to the naked eye, and cling to them. I always end up looking cakey and I always have to remove this foundation after I've applied it because I don't feel comfortable going out like this. For a foundation that is this expensive, I expect a lot more. However, I think it could work well for oilier skin types, as it did work OK for me in Thailand. In addition, a foundation this expensive should come with a pump, it's as simple as that.
Would not buy again.