Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 7/20/2009 1:13:00 PM

I'm so glad i finally tried coconut oil. it works great at taming my frizzy wavy/curly hair, i just take a TINY bit and rub my palms together and apply it to wet hair. i also use it as a body moisturizer wow! i don't remember having skin this soft, I've had dark dry patches of skin on my toes for years and after maybe a week of use they're almost gone! unfortunately i need more moisture for my hands and bottoms of my feet. I'm too scared to try it on my face ... still recovering from jojoba oil, maybe some day...

on 7/17/2009 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the reasons I love MUA, for introductions to products like this. A huge HG: Being afflicted w/ dry skin and dry (coarse, curly) hair, and having spent a lifetime switching around lotions and conditioners, I think this beats msot of them. The unrefined is worth it for the scent alone; and i've never been a huge fan of coconut scented products because they always smelled fake and like tanning oil. This is the real deal. When using it as a conditioner i no longer have to use shine serum, and my frizzies are totally gone. It does however usually mean (unless i'm willing to shampoo twice) that the first day after conditioning w/ this i'll have a little too much shine and oily texture, but i wear my hair up in a curly sort of french twist (or i straighten it) and by day two if i'm going o-naturale, my hair and curls look great. Lotion wise, unless it's warm enough and the consistency of the oil is oil (vs. the way coconut oil solidifies) it is harder to work into either skin (or hair) but as long as you're not doing it on the fly, it's not a huge deal. A must try, especially for frizzy, dry haired people! (Though I would recommend using a clarifying shampoo once a week) Only use the virgin/ unrefined coconut oil. Got mine at the co-op. I like the Nutiva better than Spectrum: i think the scent is better.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

This is THE multi-purpose product that I use for my hair and skin. Before coconut oil I used Ojon restorative hair treatment but found it too pricey to continue using it so I found coconut oil as a replacement and the results are just the same except I get more product at a cheaper price! I also use coconut oil on my face and neck before I go to bed, and wake up to smooth skin, and my acne scars have also faded. I can also use it as a daytime moisturizer if I'm not wearing any foundation and apply it on my back and chest after I shower, and again my acne scars from those areas have faded too. This is definitely an HG product I will using for the rest of my life.

on 7/3/2009 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Oh, I'd love to love this, if I could only figure out how to use it. i bought this to use on my hair. I put in on in the bathtub, but didn't shampoo it out and oh, what a greasy mess! I had to shampoo my hair repeatedly and by that time, I don't think there was any coconut oil left to have had any affect on my hair at all. I'm afraid to use it again because it was such a huge greaseball. I have long, color treated, dry hair, frizz-city and I could really use some natural conditioning. If you've had success with this as a hair conditioner, I'd love to know how!

on 6/30/2009 7:54:00 AM

I got some fractionated coconut oil (does not smell) for my hair which is quite long and gets dry ends as I read it was one of the few oils that penetrated hair and is one of the active ingredients in Ojon products.

I applied a not too generous amount andleft my hair for a while. After washing it out my hair was lovely and soft without silicones!

To get it out easily you have to apply shampoo neat (spread it in hands first) and then rinse- it washes off much more easily than if you try to wet the hair first.
I have not tried the other applications mentioned but will now. Thanks everyone- have got some great tips from this site.

on 6/25/2009 12:32:00 PM

I have used coconut oil in the past as an eye make-up remover, body and face cream, lip treatment and hair treatment.

*****Eye make-up remover*****: Wonerful! It doesn't irritate my eyes like traditional eye make-up remover and it made my lashes conditioned, stronger and longer.

*****Facial/body moisturizer*****: Again, wonderful! It absorbed into my skin without feeling oily or greasy and made my skin so soft and smooth. It really made my face look radiant.

*****Lip treatment*****: Great before bed. Not so easy to transport to work and kind of oily on the lips during the day.

*****Foot treatment***** Before bed with a pair of cotton socks, make my feet super smooth. Great way to maintain a pedi.

*****Hair treatment*****EWWWWW!! It took FOREVER to get it out of my hair. Not going to try that again!

I hear it is great to combat toenail fungus as well, but have yet to know anyone who has tried it.

I will purchase and use this again and again. One jar lasts for over 7 months for me.

on 6/23/2009 1:18:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I just tried this last night for the first time! I used it as a body moisturizer and it works well for that purpose. I don't feel as moisturized as I thought I would, which is ok. Smell dissipates about 2 hours later. I think this also in application helped with some of the small blemishes on my back. The only thing I don't like about it is how long it takes to soak in. Took almost 2 hours on some parts of my body and only moments on others. Seems like certain parts of me were drier then others!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I`ve been using coconut oil for a few months now, I m using it to remove my eye make up, and I have to confess my eyelashes are longer and fuller now, I never believed the reviews, but after using it for a while, I really noticed a difference in my lashes, you can give it a try too, it is very gentle, better than other expensive make up removers. As for skincare,I also use it on my face, in a great mix with elisabeth arden face cream, shea butter, glicerine, Q10, vitamin E, I made my own face cream mixing these things together, and I am happy with it, I know that no one can make a better face cream and sell it to us, on the market we can only find over priced chemicals. So I found an Ebay store with good prices on organic stuff...like glicerin, vitamins, and I do my own skin stuff, and as well body cream, I mixed shea butter with coconut oil, some bvlgari body lotion for the fragrance, and some glicerin and since I`ve been using this I can tell you I have baby skin, very soft, and naturally shiny. Try it you won`t be dissapointed.

~~~~Update~~~~For those with damaged hair, you should try Greek organic Olive oil instead of coconut oil, it works better, its more hydrating.As for face and make up removing, coconut oil still rocks, it`s made my eyelashes even fuller ;)

on 6/19/2009 6:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I tried the oil cleansing method several months ago. After trying olive oil alone, sunflower seed oil, and castor oil mixed with the other two, I was not satisfied with the results. My skin is extremely dry and I found I could not use the castor oil at all. Just recently I purchased virgin coconut oil for cooking, and tried it as a moisturizer.

At first it worked well, much better than oilve or sunflower seed oil. It seemed to sink into the skin better and leave less of a heavy, greasy feeling. Unfortunately, over the weeks it became less effective. I live mostly in air conditioning and I know that effects my skin, and I need a very serious moisturizer for my face. So far, after trying tons of drug store brands, higher end products and alternative treatments, coconut oil is definitely my second favorite moisturizer. I love that the one product removes makeup excellently, cleans and moisturizes without causing any breakouts on my sensitive skin. That was the biggest surprise, because all the other oils I tried broke me out and made my blackheads worse.

I've gone back to my HG moisturizer, Cetaphil cream, the thick kind that comes in the jar. Nothing else has been as good to my skin, not causing breakouts, and has kept my T-zone flake free. I really wanted this coconut oil to work. I never tried using the oil on my hair, but I did use it on my body. To be honest, I really hate the feeling of oil sitting on my skin. It's not as bad as other oils I've tried, but it still leaves a residue that makes my clothes stick to my skin. That said, I loved how it made my skin appear to glow from within, an effect that Cetaphil does not offer.

I would buy this again, but only for cooking and maybe as a hair treatment. Coconut oil is extremely healthy, and is a smart alternative to other vegetable oils for frying. The taste is not as distinct as olive oil. I do recommend that you, whether you use it for cooking or skincare, buy the virgin, cold pressed coconut oil, too receive the most nourishing benefits it has to offer. As with other oils, the more pure, the better.

on 6/17/2009 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I've tried this as a body lotion, hair conditioner (hot oil treatment), lip balm, and as eyelash conditioner... my eyelashes became very full and thick and LONG with using this!! But for every other use... not so much fun.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products