August 21, 2014 | 985 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2007 3:21:00 PM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using jojoba oil on and off for nearly 7 years now. Its a staple in my house.....fabulous moisturizer, use it for face and body. Sometimes I use it as a carrier for tea tree or lavender oils when I have extra breakout problems, or I use a drop in moisturizer when I am extra dry. This stuff has NEVER caused a breakout...and I am as acne prone as it gets. Will keep on repurchasing for the forseeable future.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 10:41:00 PM More reviews by kerrick22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Best moisturizer for my sensative, acne-prone, combo skin! A great multi-purpose product for make-up removal, eye cream, and moisturizer. I use one drop for my eye area, and an additional two for my entire face. I swear the fine lines around my eyes are disappearing! Absorbs right in and leaves no greasy residue.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 1:19:00 PM More reviews by LeahLuvd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a couple years now. Started when I was using Retin-A and Obagi and it really helped. I stopped while I was prego and only recently started back to using it.

I started again because after my son. my skin started to be really tight and dry (which before I had oily/combo skin) and no matter how much moisturizer I put on- it still wasn't good enough. My skin was still tight and flakey.

I now put this on at night after my shower. I only use 2-3 drops and allow at least 30 minutes for it to absorb into my face.
I am acne-prone and this has never caused me to breakout. I agree that the packaging is lacking, but it works and is inexpensive so I'm happy with it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2007 5:02:00 PM More reviews by joonjooni

Packaging: Pretty awful - whenever I try to get a few drops out, oil leaks from the top and drips down, making the entire bottle greasy and slippery. Since I use the DHC cleansing oil, I just filled a used bottle with jojoba oil, which is a lot more convenient.

Usages: I use this for my skin and hair - for my skin, I'll use about two to three drops and a bit of aloe vera gel and massage it into my skin. When I first started using this oil on my skin, I got strange bumps (clogged pores, I guess) around my jawline and on my right temple (on the right side of my forehead). They didn't go away for about two months, but after prolonged use of jojoba oil, they cleared up. I used to have pretty acne-prone skin - particularly around my cheeks and chin, and now I rarely get pimples at all. For my hair, I use jojoba oil, honey, and conditioner in a hair mask around three to four times a week - it makes my hair incredibly soft, shiny, and manageable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 7:40:00 PM More reviews by brighid_karis

I'm editing my original review here. I still think this is very good stuff, but I'm not using it the same way I did before. Mainly, I now use it as about 25% of my OCM mix, with 75% castor and 25% grapeseed oil. It works wonderfully in that. I also occasionally add it to hair conditioner or use it to tame some frizzies. Usually I use my whole OCM mix on patches of dry skin on the body, but sometimes I'll just rub in a few drops of jojoba oil, as it's a very light oil that soaks in pretty quickly and makes a good moisturizer.
Disclaimer: As with ANYTHING, you can have allergic or comedogenic reactions, depending on your individual skin and immune system. Finding a good, 100% pure oil can help prevent this, but it's possible to have a reaction to the oil itself. In other words, just because so many of us on MUA love it, don't expect miracles. That said, it does seem to be common to experience some breakouts when first using this or just about any new product on the skin. Unless you're having a really bad reaction, try sticking with it to see if your skin calms down. It's fairly inexpensive and readily available from organic food stores and some drugstores, so there's not too much to lose.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2007 4:26:00 PM More reviews by gdriban

Love it! Finally an organic moisturizer (without parabens--yippee!) and other added junk. Makes my skin so happy and moisturized. Just wish there were a better way to dispense it--it can make a mess!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2007 10:52:00 AM More reviews by reviewgirl07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am really hoping for HG status with this one. Like many others have said before me, I am at wit's end with moisturizers and skin care in general. No matter what I do, I still break out and get clogged pores(I have combo-sensitive skin). I found this at Whole Foods, and so far everything is great. I have applied it to both a dry and damp face, and found that a damp face is better for absorption. This makes my skin feel super smooth and very hydrated, but not greasy. I also suspect it's healing some recent acne scars. Really feels like there's nothing on my face. I use the equivalent of about 3 drops, and for me it's the perfect amount. The top can be tricky, but I found that if you only push the top down to where the opening is only half-way, it is much easier control how much comes out. I am still waiting to make sure this doesn't break me out, but I usually react quickly. Hurray!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2007 11:07:00 AM More reviews by a1issa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Well, I just started using this as a nighttime makeup remover a few days ago, after experiencing a crop of whiteheads from Pond's Cold Cream. I have a hard time removing my mineral makeup (I really layer it on to cover my acne scars) so I need an oily product to really get it off. I also have pretty dry skin right now from the heat being permanently on, so any makeup remover that will add moisture instead of stripping it away is a huge plus.

I've been putting a few drops on a cotton square and wiping off all of my makeup. Then I take a warm, wet washcloth and do a final wipe to make sure that I've truly removed all of the makeup. So far I'm finding that if I wanted to get *everything* off with the jojoba oil, I'd have to use a second cotton square. However, the washcloth removes the remaining makeup, so it's all good.

After makeup removal, my face remains soft, supple, and moisturized. I'm hoping that by following up the jojoba oil with the washcloth will help to prevent the problems that others have experienced with pore-clogging & breakouts.

UPDATE: I am *clogged* all over the place... in places where I've *never* had pimples before. Could it residually have been from the cold cream? Or was it the jojoba...? I don't know, but I'm staying away from them both, and taking off my makeup w/ a washcloth & water alone. I think glycerin will be my next experiment once my face is back to normal...

rated 2 of 5 on 12/14/2007 11:36:00 PM More reviews by gmmace80

The skin on my face is super sensitive to just about everything. I have an oily t-zone, and dry cheeks. I had high hopes for this product after seeing all the rave reviews, but this actually made my cheeks even more dry and flaky than normal. I was washing with Cetaphil and applying a light layer of the oil and waiting a bit before applying my foundation. By the end of the day, my cheeks were totally flaky and dry. It did make me break out the first week or so, but thank goodness that stopped, but my cheeks were peeling so much, my face was tight and dry, and the oil just sat on top of my skin and never really sank in. I'm still using Cetaphil to cleanse, but I'm using a mixture of MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream and Aquaphor, and my face is doing much better. I'll just use the remaining oil for moisturizing my hands and legs. Anyone else experience drying with this product?

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2007 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ChameliAsh

Oh man, I stumbled upon this product on MUA and after reading so many wonderful reviews, I thought I had found my perfect moisturizer that would cure all my skin problems. This is great stuff, but it isn't a miracle product for me. I didn't have very problematic skin to begin with-- some blackheads on my nose and chin and occasional breakouts. I think whatever skin problems I have must not be the result of the products I'm using, but rather the result of hormones/diet. Anyway, here are the pros and cons for me:
PROS:
- This stuff is CHEAP! yes!!
- Best eye makeup remover ever. Take a few drops and massage it around your eyes for a few seconds, and then wipe off with a cotton pad before washing your face-- all (and I wear a lot of eye makeup) of the makeup will be gone in one swipe. It's not irritating at all.
- I only needed 2 drops of this to moisturize my whole face.
- It really does soften skin
- It did clear up my pores somewhat-- blackheads/clogged pores aren't nearly as stubborn and pimples run their course and heal much faster. My pores are clearer on my nose and chin.
- Great as an addition to shampoo to relieve dry winter scalp
- I SWEAR it has made my eyelashes a lot longer!!

CONS:
- Packaging-- get an eyedropper bottle or contact solution type bottle to put this in.
- I've been using this for 6 weeks, and for the first month I definitely had more breakouts (I rarely used to get blemishes that turned into full swollen pimples)-- I'm assuming this is the "purging" that other reviewers have described. While the severity of the breakouts has decreased, I still get them (bumps, not full pimples)-- more than before I used this as my main moisturizer. This is a problem because even bumps/clogged pores cause hyperpigmented marks that take a very long time to disappear.
- This isn't hydrating enough for my cheeks/around my mouth in winter.
- After a while it felt like the product wasn't deeply moisturizing-- like it was just sitting on top of my skin.

I'll definitely buy more of this when I run out to use as a makeup remover and addition to shampoo. And I think I'll try using just one drop of this in addition to another moisturizer. But it's not an HG for me.