September 23, 2014 | 1720 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by debbers

I think I may have found my HG mascara! I always buy volumizing formulas with the intent of making my wimpy lashes more dramatic, but what usually happens is that they are clumpy and smear. Not this one! I love the flexible brush and at first, I was a bit afraid because I didn't think I was getting any mascara on the brush from the tube. But once I started applying, I could tell that wasn't the case! It applies smoothly and separates the lashes, making them look full but not clumpy. I can do 2 coats without problems.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 6:10:00 AM More reviews by Tit4Tat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to be a die-hard fan of Volum' Express circa 1999 when the formula was outstanding and the shade variety was way broader. Since then, I didn't really feel like giving this line another chance up until now. This mascara is just as great for giving some oomph to sparse lashes as well as evenly coating and separating thick eyelashes, very versatile which is a plus. Another eternal problem seems to be solved: there's absolutely no clumping on the brush whatsoever when you pull it out of the tube, you may even think the brush didn't pick up any mascara it sure did. It doesn't curl your lashes or anything so I wouldn't expect any curves, therefore my recommendation would be to thoroughly brush and curl your lashes prior to application, you will be rewarded with much neater appearance. Don't be intimidated by the very flexible wand, it actually works in your advantage, bending and reaching every little hair. The key to successful application of this mascara is to work fast and keep a clean spooly brush handy (I purchase disposable ones from Sally's, they are indispensable in castor oil and makeup applications). Basically, you need to swiftly apply mascara onto your lashes, starting from outer lashes moving inwards, with head tilted backwards, rotating the wand as you're applying mascara in zig-zag motion. Then, quickly brush through with your spooly and apply a second coat, concentrating more on the tips of your lashes rather than starting from the roots unless looking for a more dramatic coverage. You can't take your time, if the first coat dries before second application, I suggest leave it alone, otherwise you're risking to have spider legs instead of sexy. My recommendation is to work one eye at a time. Best notable thing about this mascara is that it doesn't flake at all; I napped while wearing it and woke up without a single smudge and I have very oily lids. Despite the ad's claims, it doesn't come off easily with water and soap but it does come off with makeup remover. It didn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, which is also pleasant. For reference, I purchased non-waterproof formula, shade Very Black. Would definitely appreciate this product more if they come out with shades like brown or plum. I'd say it's a repurchase for me, assuming it doesn't dry out in 2 weeks and the colour of the tube is so bright, you want to touch it, it's so cute. Will post update once test this mascara in conjunction with random lash primers.
    *UPDATE* 05/27/2011 It's been 3 months and the formula is still the same, didn't dry out at all and works just as well on my eyes. I got back to my lash curling routine and find that this mascara is light enough to hold a nice curl. I know it's time to part with it but knowing myself I will end up trying something new and I guess this is why I've been holding onto it for so long. It's a definite repurchase down the road.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

I bought the waterproof version of this as I have only skin and wear contacts and was quite surprised by how easy the application was. It applies more like a regular mascara - nice thin coats and no clumping. The fat plastic brush makes it easy to sweep on a full lash while keeping them separated. Very easy to apply. No smudges - it's pretty mistake proof. And it gives you a really natural looking lash, only fuller. Easy to remove too with an oily remover. No scrubbing like with a lot of waterproof mascaras. My only negative comment would be to buy the blackest black they have because I got one step down from blackest and it's not dark enough. Still great cheap mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this mascara a lot initially, the brush is easy to use, very flexible and does not clump or smear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 9:05:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am so sorry I just wasted my money on YSL Faux Cils and Laura Mercier Long Lash Mascara. They were both totally over-priced and major disappointments. When I am running around, trying to get out the door for work, I need a mascara that works quickly to transform my lashes..from blah to wow. One by One, with a just a few swipes of the wand elongated my lashes and provided good definition. It excelled more at lengthening than volumizing but it was length I was looking for anyway. I think this is my new favorite, go to mascara. I only wish Maybelline would bring Illegal Lengths..that remains my all-time favorite.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 2:25:00 AM More reviews by princess101

I never thought I would find a mascara that would replace my beloved L'oreal Extreme Volume Collagen w/p mascara. I have short, sparse, pin-straight lashes that strain to hold any curl whatsoever. On top of that, I have oily skin that generally reaches up and grabs my mascara, leaving me with dark undereyes.

This mascara is a true gem for me. It is lightweight, yet somehow manages to provide both volume and length all without clumping or multiple coats. In one coat I have lashes that reach my lid area, and with two coats they reach my crease line. This is almost unheard of---I've only had those types of results using 2-part gel/fibre mascara from Asia, and at $30/tube I'd rather wear falsies. This mascara gives the illusion of a fullness that I don't have, and the base of my lashes, near my lashline are plump enough that I dont need to tightline.

The reason I prefer this over my Volume Collagen is the fact that it's not dry or flaky. I find most w/p mascaras to be extremely dry and while they do hold my curls better, they can tend to flake during the day. This does the job, even if with its odd flexy brush/wand combo and does not smudge nor smear. My lashes are also soft and not stiff and crunchy.

My only complaint is the gaudy packaging. I mean, I can see it instantly on my vanity and most-likely won't lose it but could it look any cheaper?

I have already bought backups when I saw them on sale last week.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2011 8:39:00 PM More reviews by kilaskyy

I love this mascara it makes my eyelashes appear longer and more separated than any other mascare I have used!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2011 3:05:00 PM More reviews by LandersPistol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE the color of the container, but othere than that I am VERY disappointed. This mascara doesn't make my eyelashes anything special. It really just gives my eyelashes some color and that's about it. My eyelashes are unoticeable without mascara, so the color obviously helps... but I won't be purchasing this again. I did find it easy to use on my bottom lashes... but not enough to keep me wanting to use it daily.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/8/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by dogluver74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to give Maybelline another chance even though I haven't like any of their mascaras much before. I had a $1 coupon and Maybelline was on sale at Walgreens BOGO half off.

The first thing I noticed was how the packaging and applicator were very similar to Cover Girl's Lash Blast. They are using the plastic, spikey bristles, although they are doing a poor job of copying CG. The brush is flimsy and too soft in my opinion and the wand flexes. I don't like the scent of the mascara either. I have oily skin so I have trouble finding mascara that doesn't smudge during the day. I've had this problem with past Maybelline Mascaras (including Great Lash) and lo and behold, the same happens with One by One Volum' Express. It also applied clumpy. Yes, it did give me volume and some length, but with several more coats than I normally need with CG Lash Blast.

I won't be repurchasing this.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2011 4:04:00 PM More reviews by annapcs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This mascara is ok. and that's it.
    Pros: Does not clump and separates lashes.
    Cons: NO volume or lenghtening.

Since it gives a very subtle look and separates lashes well, I made this my mascara for the lower lashes, and for that purpose I really like it and will repurchase, but I definitely use something else for my top lashes, cause this is barely noticeable.