October 21, 2014 | 931 users online

Liquid - MAC - Pro Longwear Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by XEverX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very dry, sensitive, light skin. I bought this product remembering some other MAC foundation I bought before that had been wonderful, but it was was not this.
Overall it was not that impressive of coverage, I really can't say its any better than other foundations I've used. (I normally use Dior or maybelline).
Maybe my expectations are too high, but I though it would be a more full, silky and fullfilling experience.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by renneyg

This stays on, doesn't transfer, maintains its color, doesn't smell, doesn't feel like paint, maintains a fairly matt finish but it does oxidise.
For the record, i have fair/medium, neutral/warm skin (NC25-30), with some acne scarring and a few lines around my eyes. My skin gets very oily around my T-zone and dry on my cheeks and temples.
I was originally advised by the Mac Assistant to get NC25 because this foundation runs a bit darker and is very yellow. NC25 was a good match but i an NC30 just made me look healthier without any real contrast to my neck.
I applied it using a standard foundation brush, on a Gosh anti-wrinkle primer. It needed quite a bit of blending but amazingly no powder needed. I also found my eyeshadow & eyeliner stayed intact through a twelve hour working day.
The bottle is so easy to use and you only need a tiny amount. I put a tiny pump into a mac pot and dipped my brush in. Some minor issues: it settles in lines slightly and i've found the only way i can perfect the color is to mix NC25 & 30 which is too expensive. Thank god for Mac Matchmaster ;)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Adriana265

Not keen on this at all. I'm an NC42 with golden undertones and the shades in this foundation run too light and too yellow/orange. I tried 4 shades in total and none of them matched me. I looked like I was in the first stages of kidney failure, and some of the shades turned me radioactive orange aswell.

I have normal/combo oily skin and this dried my skin out badly. I never have dry skin, so when this foundation dried me out, even with moisturiser underneath, I knew it wasn't for me. Emphasized dry patches I never even knew I had and just didn't look like REAL skin - way too matte.

Coverage is light to medium, which suits me fine as I don't have acne or any major blemishes. When I did have some blemishes though, it didn't cover them at all.

Lasting power is good, yes, but my Revlon photoready and colourstay foundations last longer for a cheaper price and with better colour ranges. There is not 1 thing about this foundation I like. To make things worse, I'm sure this foundation was the cause of the blemishes on my cheeks. Definately wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 8:28:00 AM More reviews by pisces31919

MY SEARCH IS FINALLY OVER!!! I recommend that EVERYONE get color matched for this (the coloring is a little off MAC normal foundation chart). I'm wearing NC50, Pro Longwear Concealer in NW40 (I have both NC and NW undertones).

Pros:
*Lasts for HOURS (I have oily skin and usually have to blot about 3 times daily. I only had to blot once!!!)
*Looks like your skin. Medium coverage. Not cakey, not overdone. Like you but a little better, if that makes any sense.
*LOVE that this comes with a pump!

Con:
*WARNING: THIS DRIES REALLY FAST! YOU MUST WORK WITH THIS QUICKLY OTHERWISE IT WILL DRY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE IT!

Other than that, it's one of the best damn things since sliced bread!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Kurbiskonigin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination dry/oily acne prone skin. This foundation covers well and lasts a while but works best with a primer.

However, the foundation I find can be streaky/splotchy because it dries fast, no matter how well you blend it doesn't seem even to me. Also, it accentuates my dry spots. This might be best for oily skin. It did break me out though, so if you have acne-prone skin I would test this out first.

I ended up returning this foundation because I really just did not like it.

The concealer, however, is no problem and has a much better performance than the foundation itself. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd use the concealer itself as a foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by andrea46

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation only arrived in my part of the world this week. No, I don't live at the North Pole, lol. So I've been reading all the reviews and lemming it badly, envious of everyone who got it. However, I would appreciate it if the reviewers would mention what color they got and a lot don't.
Got an email that the Prolongwear collection had arrived and was in the mall 3 hours later!
On the one hand, this stuff is amazing. i have tried very many o f the so-called longlasting foundations but this is in a class by itself. Both yesterday and today went walking, went through my excessive sweating, was in a hot kitchen but this remained fresh-looking for about 8-10 hours. I didn't try for more.
As for the color, I am less satisfied. I got NC 30. I am C4 in SF, Intensity #3 in EL DW Light, #6 in Photoready and #30 in CD Forever. It seems too yellow but for some odd reason, as the day wears on it seems less yellow.
Bottom line is that I am quite pleased with it and would definitely purchase again. Will update if there's any change.
UPDATE (almost a month after purchasing): In all my years of foundation wearing, and believe me that they are plenty, I have never come across a foundation that lasts so long. After 14 hour days, sometimes sweating, it is still as fresh as when I applied it and even better since it looks less "make uppy". I do need to touch up around my mouth and under my nose (eating and blowing my nose because I have a cold) but bottom line: you put this on in the morning and it sticks like glue until you remove it. I am using MAC Cleanse-off to remove and I like it very much.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Purchased this in NW20 which is the same shade I use in Studio Fix Fluid. ProLongwear does tend to oxidize a bit as did SFF. This shade is perfect on me, perfect match to my neck, actually better than SFF. I wear Prep & Prime Face primer then this and put a light dusting of blot powder then blush and it's a perfect finish!! It even lasted under stage lights at a production I was involved in working backstage and I was extremely hot by the end of the evening but my makeup looked great by the end of the evening, I did blot once because I thought my nose was a bit shiny but that's normal with my oily complexion. I highly recommend this and will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am so torn on this! There are things about it I love, and I really want to try to make it work, despite its flaws. First of all, this actually IS longwearing. No doubt about it. Even without primer, this sticks to my skin, and NOTHING sticks to my skin. Even Estee Lauder DoubleWear faded a bit by the end of the day. This one leaves my dark spots covered until the end of the day when I wash it off. It's pretty easy to apply, I used a stippling brush and then a sponge to blend. It takes a while to set, so at first it looks a little too orange/obvious on the skin BUT within like 10 minutes it sets to a matte finish. I have no problem with a matte skin finish, I think "dewey" finish things often just make my skin look oily. But if you do not want a matte finish, I woudln't recommend this. It makes my skin look very even and flawless. The downside: is it rather drying. I have dry skin anyway, and even with a moisturizer this makes my skin look a bit dry and ashy by the end of the day, especially on the nose. This is only after its been on the skin for many hours, but still, not the freshest look at the end of the day. I agree with the reviewer who said this is kind of like a stain for your face. So. I think this might work better for those with oily skin, the mattifying effect combined with the fact that your skin produdes a lot of natural oil probably makes a good combination. I really wish it worked better for me! I'm debating getting it and just using it on my spots, or perhaps trying to prolognwear concealer. Anyway, it seems to be a great MAC product. Try it! (I gave it a "yes" even though I'm not sure if I'd purchase [I am basing this review off using a sample amount of it] simply for the fact that IT LASTS.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by tracyltrust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have never been a fan of Mac products in general but was in need of a long-wearing foundation for my new salon job at the exact time this product was being launched. I grabbed a sample out of curiousity and I'm so happy I did.
I have combination skin with a fairly oily t-zone. I ususally find it necessary to blot my skin every couple of hours. I like medium to full coverage foundations that give a natural, skin-like appearance/finish. Prior to finding this I was using Nars Sheer Glow and I quite like it except I was finding it would wear off/ slide around my oily areas throughout the course of my 9 hour work day. .
The ProLongwear has been wonderful for my long work shifts in the salon where I am busy and active all day and not always able to blot/reapply powder, despite usually feeling a little sweaty and getting sprayed/splashed with water on the regular. It lives up to its promise and my makeup looks just about as good when I get home as it does when I leave in the morning. I wish I could say the same for my hair, lol.
The finish is quite natural. I wouldn't call it matte at all and neither is it dewy. I feel it is similar to the finish I get with the Sheer Glow and would describe it as "satin."
I should add that I always use a primer to diminish the appearance of pores and give a smoother application. I haven't found that the primers I prefer do much for the longevity of my foundation however.
I apply it over Clarins Instant Smooth or Too Faced Primed and Poreless using a damp cosmetic sponge to stipple it on. I have absolutley no problems with blending this product and I believe applying it over a primer is probablly why (since some people indicate it dries quickly?). I have to wait about 3 to 5 minutes to feel like it has "set" and then I use some silica powder to set it. I don't find this foundation to provide oil-control. I still blot every couple hours. The difference for me is that despite my moderate oil-production the foundation doesn't budge. I rather like that this isn't "oil-controlling," so to speak, since in my experience products that control oil tend to be drying. I think someone in need of serious oil-control should probablly look for that in a primer or sunscreen. The consistency of this foundation is perfect for me since it doesn't make me oilier and doesn't dry me out. It just performs very well providing buildable med coverage that I can depend on being where I put it all day.
I am NC 15-20 depending on the product and I am mixing NC15 and NC20 to get my perfect match. The NC20 is quite warm and seems a tad darker than NC20 in other MAC products. The NC15 is nice and neutral but a touch too light for me by itself. Definitely try and get a sample of this if you can and be sure to experiment with different methods of application. I highly recommend using a primer of some sort. Even my favorite and most amazing foundations look 10x better over a decent primer. I also really love a damp sponge for this one as I believe it helps with the blending (especially if you've never worked w/ long-wear makeup before).
Another plus: my blush doesn't budge all day either when I wear this foundation underneath it. I think I could probablly get away with skipping my e/s primer too with this on my lids but haven't experimented with this yet. I'm extremely happy with this foundation and I highly recommend it if your needs are at all similar to mine.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2010 7:03:00 AM More reviews by felicityc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I have always been a Studio Fix Fluid (NC25) devotee but decided to try the Pro Longwear as I do find that SFF comes off quite a lot (I guess I touch my face too much!) but often ends up leaving smudgey marks on any paper I touch!

I have to say with this is mind Pro Longwear is really good for staying put and it still gives a good coverage at the end of a long day.

The cons: Although I have oily skin this foundation (which I'm wearing right now) literally sucks all the moisture out of my skin leaving it feeling really tight and uncomfortable. It can look quite chalky and doesnt blend as well as SFF. I would say the coverage is not as good as Studio Fix Fluid so I have been applying two layers because I do like a full coverage.

Most importantly I really think this foundation had caused me to break out! I do have spot prone skin but can't remember the last time it was this bad. As I found with Estee Lauder Double Wear - you have to be really regimental about cleaning it off at the end of the day as it sticks to your skin and can be difficult to clean off completely leading to further breakouts.

I like that it has a pump but it has no cap so even when I lock the pump it still leaves traces of foundation all over my make up bag.

So overall I would say Studio Fix Fluid is better, but I am still in search of the perfect foundation....