Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant

4.1

Not tested on animals

Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Colloidal Oatmeal, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Allantoin, Papain, Salicylic Acid, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, PCA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Populus Tremuloides Bark Extract, Cyclodextrin, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Limonene, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

on 8/5/2004 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

On recommendation from my facialist I only use this scrub twice a week and at night after my anti bac wash. This product gives me that fresh from a facial feeling. IT leaves my skin baby's butt smoothe. My little brother loves using this scrub as well because it doesnt irritate his skin. I found that this doesnt really foam up it just gets really creamy as you use it. TIP- wet your hands and face, then pour a little more then half a teaspoon ( ball park - the amount of 3 skittles in your palm) into the palm of your hand. then add only one drop of water. lather it between your hands then start lathering on your face. i found that the amount of water on your hands and face along with the drop is sufficient enough to get this scrub a nice creamy consistency. Oh and by the way this is better for those with oily skin. What my facialist does is she massages this into my skin and then lets it dry for a couple of minutes... works great as an exfoliating mask.

on 7/13/2004 11:17:00 AM

I tried this while trying to find a replacement for my Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream which wouldn't have to be replaced every three weeks. I used it every day as a morning cleanser and after about a week I experienced the worst breakouts in two years or so. My skintype is sensitive & acne-prone, I think the Microfoliant triggered my skin's sensitivity rather than causing clogged pores. Maybe if I'd not used it every day it might not have done as much damage but of course I didn't wait to try. I need a daily exfoliant (like my Dr. Hauschka) and thought this product would be one (hence the "Daily").

The packaging is, as others have noted, rather inconvenient (& remarkably ugly btw.). I'm not spoilt when it comes to packaging, I don't mind shampoo in glass bottles, aluminum tubes that crack but it's hard to travel or dosage the amount of product you're using with a shaker bottle like this. Furthermore I think the integrity of the ingredients might be compromised by the packaging not being airtight and the product being pulverized. I don't think the extracts or enzymes still are active after the manufacturing process & the exposure to air.

The ingredients don't warrant the price. The first couple of ingredients are the same that you find in vitamin pills as fillers (you could argue that this is no different than other products having water as the first ingredient) followed by three more or less harsh detergents (all of which are drying for my skin in my experience).

I went back to my Dr. Hauschka after using this but am still not rid of all the red marks from the breakouts the Dermalogica caused.

This is a vegan product.

on 7/1/2004 5:04:00 PM

Nope. This product is too dehydrating. I ignored it for a long time because I thought it would be much like Kanebo's powder exfoliant. Same unusual and fun format-powder in plastic bottle that is mixed with water. This is much creamier than Kanebo's and not as sensitising. But it is still very dehydrating. After using every other day for a several weeks my skin looked much rougher and even broke out which never happens to me.I much prefer the very creamy gentle exfoliants of say Clarins or Guerlain.

I bought this product after I had a facial. I followed the directions on the bottle but I still haven't seen a "lather". Yes, it bubbles alittle bit but for the amount they say, thats all you get. Besides the shaker-like bottle which pours out way more than you need, the product does what it says. I like that its not grainy to wear I feel I'm scrubbing my face off. This is great for people who get glycolic peels or use acne medication. Doesn't aggravate the skin. Left with tight-clean feeling.

on 6/18/2004 12:10:00 AM

a tiny bit of it make my skin look great! It is such a wonderful product to get rid of my dull skin

on 6/10/2004 8:33:00 AM

I had high hopes for this product but I guess skin care is just a very individual thing... This did not do much for me at all. It did seem to have a slight clarifying effect at first, then no effect at all and then it seemed to make my clogged up skin worse! Perhaps there is some ingredient here that I reacted badly to. Anyway, I have stopped using it now. I've used up a sample of the cream exfoliant and liked it better, but based on this experience I'm loath to spend another 28 or so on a product line that might not agree with me! We'll see.

on 5/31/2004 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

At $40 US, this stuff is probably the single most expensive skin care product (or really, beauty product in general) in my repitoire. However, it is a really great product. I've consistantly used it now for over a year and each bottle lasts between 4-6 months. It's a pretty steep investment, but it's great stuff. For those not familiar with it, it's a dry powder that you moisten with water and then use as a scrub. For my combination skin (everything from the nose up is dry and everything from the nose down is oily) it works beautifully. I tend to use less water and more microfoliant and really work it into my skin, sometimes even letting it dry for five minutes or so before brushing it off and following with a water rinse. I find that it does seem to keep breakouts to a minimum, but I do also need to use a good moisturizer (usally Desert Essence pure Jojoba oil) afterward. I think the one major detraction is the price, but since it does last a while (especially if you use it more sparringly than I tend to) and it is a good, effective, yet gentle daily exfoliant, it's worth the price.

on 5/21/2004 11:23:00 AM

I love this product!
I have pale, semi-sensitive skin that gets hormonal breakouts. (nothing too major, just along the chin).
I use this a few times a week, up to daily when I feel my skin needs it. I like to mix just a bit of water to make a thick paste and apply with my fingertips- less waste than if you use your palms. My bottle of very expensive microfoliant lasted me two years. I really like to mix the powder with a few crushed aspirin (see apririn mask reviews)...this leaves my skin glowing, spotless, and brings down all redness. I leave it on for as long as possible (until my skin gets tight, ala Joan Rivers) and then I rinse.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my HG exfoliant. I use it every day, and can't go a day without it! I have very dry skin [I use Creme De La Mer] and this doesn't dry my skin out at all, it just leaves it beautifully smooth. It is a little bit expensive in Australia, so to save $20-$25AUD per bottle I buy it online from either Strawberrynet or Fountain.

on 5/11/2004 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Another great product by Dermalogica! I use this as my a.m. product. It makes my face feel clean and refreshed and gets rid of any redness and irritation I have. Plus, it clears away a little bit of the greasies from overnight. I like how it's a powder so you can mix just what you need. A definite repurchase.