Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 9/7/2009 4:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use coconut oil in my wet hair during the summer after I shower to reduce frizziness. It works okay this way, but makes my hair a little stringy. So I started using it on dry hair at night for the same purpose. I leave it on over night and rinse in the morning. I find that I get better results this way. It makes my hair shiny, frizz free and healthy.

on 8/31/2009 12:17:00 AM

So far, so great! I have fine, lifeless hair, but it was starting to get crispy and I wasn't due for a trim for another three weeks. I read the reviews here and gave it a whirl and I am impressed!

I slathered it on from root to tip, left it on my hair for two hours and then washed with a clarifying shampoo and followed with conditioner. I had no problems getting my hair clean and drying it after my shower was a breeze. It was noticeably smoother in texture and unbelievably voluminous! I didn't add any product - just blew it dry and used a round brush - but I was amazed by the way it shined and looked.

I will definitely be trying this again in a few days and if all continues to go well, I will attempt other uses on other parts of my anatomy.

on 8/28/2009 3:17:00 PM

WOW. This stuff is amazing. I have been using it as a moisturizer for the past month then running the remains through my hair (I put Burt's Bees baby powder in over the hair the next morning so it's not oily and greasy). I also use it on my horse's mane and tail, and it's really looking nice. Here is a link on all the benefits:

My skin is slightly acne prone and I have had no issues at all with applying it to my face.

on 8/12/2009 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This review is for the Vitamin Shoppe's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
I mix this with my shea butter (see my notepad for recipes). I use it in my hair and sometimes on my body. It works great mixed with other oils/butters but is too oily for me to use alone (doesn't sink in as well). I also love mixing it in my hair conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB). Makes my hair so soft and moisturized. I also used it as a deep oil treatment for my hair: slathered this on, put on a plastic cap and left it in my hair for a few hours. Shampooed and conditioned afterwards and my hair was ultra soft. Definitely will buy again.
Update 11/22/09: Why oh why did I change my routine? I usually use my shea butter mix on my face for moisturizing but decided to try this after reading a bunch of raves. The next day my face was a mess. It dried out my skin (I think it started up my seborrheic dermatitis again) and I got some pimples. The skin next to my nose and under my eyes felt like sandpaper. This was a few days ago and it's starting to get better but.... I will never do this to my face again. :(

on 8/10/2009 11:48:00 AM

OK. I wanted this to really be an HG for me, but the truth is that until winter, this product just sits on my skin instead of "soaking in". Great for feet and hair, but on my body, it so heavy & greasy it just sits on the surface. I bet during the winter it'll be great...but for summer...not so much.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This does work to clear up keratosis pilaris; I have a mild case on the back of my thighs. It's pretty greasy, so I put it on before I shower and then scrub it off with scrubbing gloves. This way I don't have to worry about potential grease stains on my clothes. II tried this on my face once, but it's too heavy for me. also use it on my hair sometimes, but it can be a hassle to wash out.

on 7/31/2009 3:47:00 PM

Oh man, I'm in love. The oil feels so great on my skin and leaves it feeling smooth. I was worried at first, thinking I was going to have to walk around naked or in old sweats so I wouldn't leave oil spots everywhere I went. (couch, sheets, chairs, good clothes,) Thankfully it actually dried pretty fast. I did a few test runs on fabric and it didn't leave any oil spots.
My husband loves to rub my legs after I use it. So soft.
I love the smell of coconuts so the smell doesn't bother me.
(I use extra virgin)

on 7/22/2009 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I am a huge fan of it and all my friends are using it now!i tell everybody about it--it truly is a WONDER product- not only is it good for your skin, but it has antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitic properties that will keep you healthy (if you take it internally)I love how it leaves my hair.I feel like I have discovered a miracle anti-aging skin product and itís done more for my 39 year old skin than absolutely any other product I have ever used - expensive or cheap - over the counter - or only available on line! But thatís just me...try it for yourself and see if you donít notice some wonderful effects happening to you! By the way...I even tried slathering it on my feet before bed (I covered them in soft socks right after) and again...when I woke up - soft feet Have I mentioned how great my fingernails look? They are white and strong! In a word:miracle in a bottle.you can make your own coconut oil...http://central-america-forum.com/forum-topic/how-make-virgin-coconut-oil

on 7/20/2009 1:13:00 PM

I'm so glad i finally tried coconut oil. it works great at taming my frizzy wavy/curly hair, i just take a TINY bit and rub my palms together and apply it to wet hair. i also use it as a body moisturizer wow! i don't remember having skin this soft, I've had dark dry patches of skin on my toes for years and after maybe a week of use they're almost gone! unfortunately i need more moisture for my hands and bottoms of my feet. I'm too scared to try it on my face ... still recovering from jojoba oil, maybe some day...

on 7/17/2009 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of the reasons I love MUA, for introductions to products like this. A huge HG: Being afflicted w/ dry skin and dry (coarse, curly) hair, and having spent a lifetime switching around lotions and conditioners, I think this beats msot of them. The unrefined is worth it for the scent alone; and i've never been a huge fan of coconut scented products because they always smelled fake and like tanning oil. This is the real deal. When using it as a conditioner i no longer have to use shine serum, and my frizzies are totally gone. It does however usually mean (unless i'm willing to shampoo twice) that the first day after conditioning w/ this i'll have a little too much shine and oily texture, but i wear my hair up in a curly sort of french twist (or i straighten it) and by day two if i'm going o-naturale, my hair and curls look great. Lotion wise, unless it's warm enough and the consistency of the oil is oil (vs. the way coconut oil solidifies) it is harder to work into either skin (or hair) but as long as you're not doing it on the fly, it's not a huge deal. A must try, especially for frizzy, dry haired people! (Though I would recommend using a clarifying shampoo once a week) Only use the virgin/ unrefined coconut oil. Got mine at the co-op. I like the Nutiva better than Spectrum: i think the scent is better.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products