Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I use this as a body mosituriser and as a nighttime hair mask.
I warm it up in my hands and run it through the length of my hair (not the roots) and wash it off in the morning- it really tames frizz and makes hair soft and 'swishy'!
As an all over body moisturiser (not on face- too greasy) it is great- really makes dry, dull skin glow!
It is natural, organic and good for you in anyway you use it, so give it a go!

on 9/26/2009 10:28:00 AM

oh ladies... i'm so disappointed with this! after reading and re-reading review and doing way too many searches on the inet, i determined in my heart that i may finally have found a solution to my hormonal chin breakouts that i am way too old for (37)!! so i went out and paid 12 bucks for a jar of cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil. started using it after a couple of awful cystic breakouts. made things far worse. having tried various facial product, i knew that my skins reacts to anything new in a rejection manner and i'd have to live it out for a few weeks until things adjusted. well after 3 or so weeks i could no longer handle going out in public with 3 layers of foundation and feeling like a 13yr old again. so i came back and read the review again. by that time there was someone who posted that she made the mistake of buying virgin instead of extra virgin and that was a bad idea. so i figured that was my problem! went out next day and purchased the extra virgin variety. i would cleanse with my regular cleanser (oxy) and then gently rub a small pea-size amount of oil on my face as a moisturizer. the rest of my face loves it... ecxema gone around nostrils, wrinkles seriously diminishing around eyes. but... chin is going crazy! so i then read about the oil cleansing method and also read an article that said a huge percentage of acne breakouts are cause from "over-cleansing and harsh acne facial cleanser". so i figured that was the problem. stopped using the oxy and used the coconut oil as a cleanser (with the steamy washcloth method). i hoped that by wiping most of the oil off with the hot cloth, there would be less to clog my pores and things would go better. well it's been 2 1/2 weeks of that and i have the largest cysts under my skin now. they look like big lumps or growths on my chin/jaw. it's painful and embarrassing and i've given up on the coconut oil thing. what's really funny is that i don't have hugely oily skin or lots of acne... just hormonal breakouts on the chin area. i don't understand why so many people have great results with this natural product and my skin hates it! i really wanted to have clear, smooth skin!!
so i'm now moving on to the neutrogena acne wash in hopes that i'll get my chin back to the occasional small pimple and blackheads that i once hated and now long for! likely it will dry the heck out of the rest of my face but i'd rather deal with scaley than massive pussy cysts.
am going to try eating a tsp of the coconut oil/day (seeing as i already have it) and maybe that will keep my skin from drying too much.
any advise regarding better usage of the coconut oil would be helpful! if you've experienced negative effects and then figured out how to make it work for you i'd love to hear your methods!!

on 9/21/2009 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had been using extra virgin olive oil as a hair treatment, and I read that coconut oil also works really well, so I wanted to try it. I've used this ONCE and I'm so hooked! I just bought a huge jar from Whole Foods for about $6. After I spread it through my hair, I kept smelling my hands because I LOVE the scent. After a few minutes I sort of went nuts and just put it all over my skin lol. I have never smelled this good. Even if it didn't moisturize as well as it does, I would still use it just for the coconut smell. I don't think I'll wear any perfume anymore. :-)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Reading the reviews here, I felt compelled to write my own. I used to use EV coconut oil as a body moisturizer (read: DO NOT put it on your face, it is far too heavy and will clog your pores. You facial skin is much more sensitive than your body). It's "okay" as a body moisturizer, but it was heavy and I didn't use it for long for that reason. I felt the heaviness would break me out, since I have acne-prone skin. Raw shea butter is much better than this - it's my favourite moisturizer. But if you really want to use an oil, use jojoba or extra virgin oil oil. If you have dry hair, just mash up a ripe avocado and slather it all over your hair and leave in for 15 minutes.

on 9/9/2009 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I cannot rave enough about this product. Coconut oil is the reason that everyone thinks I have the softest skin. I apply after the shower. The secret for avoiding overly greasy skin is to emulsify a bit in your hands, pat sparingly on your skin, and blend. Since coconut oil is very thin, it soaks in more quickly. For me, the most impressive results came when I began using it as an eye cream at night. I no longer wake up with puffy eyes! Amazing, but true. Also, I no longer worry about things like the price of my lotion or putting chemicals on my body. Just buy the standard tub at whole foods, no need to find a special brand. For reference, I have fair skin with an oily face and normal body.

on 9/7/2009 11:40:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love coconut oil! There are SO MANY great uses for it! I use it for cooking, on my hair to tone down frizzies and make it feel soft. For back massages, for lube in the bedroom with my fiance, for my lips, etc.. It has endless uses! I always sound like I'm getting paid to promote this stuff, because I go around telling people how awesome it is. I also use this as a moisturizer on my legs and it helps with sunburns and razor burn. It's just crazy awesome. I can't live without it.

on 9/7/2009 4:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use coconut oil in my wet hair during the summer after I shower to reduce frizziness. It works okay this way, but makes my hair a little stringy. So I started using it on dry hair at night for the same purpose. I leave it on over night and rinse in the morning. I find that I get better results this way. It makes my hair shiny, frizz free and healthy.

on 8/31/2009 12:17:00 AM

So far, so great! I have fine, lifeless hair, but it was starting to get crispy and I wasn't due for a trim for another three weeks. I read the reviews here and gave it a whirl and I am impressed!

I slathered it on from root to tip, left it on my hair for two hours and then washed with a clarifying shampoo and followed with conditioner. I had no problems getting my hair clean and drying it after my shower was a breeze. It was noticeably smoother in texture and unbelievably voluminous! I didn't add any product - just blew it dry and used a round brush - but I was amazed by the way it shined and looked.

I will definitely be trying this again in a few days and if all continues to go well, I will attempt other uses on other parts of my anatomy.

on 8/28/2009 3:17:00 PM

WOW. This stuff is amazing. I have been using it as a moisturizer for the past month then running the remains through my hair (I put Burt's Bees baby powder in over the hair the next morning so it's not oily and greasy). I also use it on my horse's mane and tail, and it's really looking nice. Here is a link on all the benefits:

My skin is slightly acne prone and I have had no issues at all with applying it to my face.

on 8/12/2009 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This review is for the Vitamin Shoppe's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
I mix this with my shea butter (see my notepad for recipes). I use it in my hair and sometimes on my body. It works great mixed with other oils/butters but is too oily for me to use alone (doesn't sink in as well). I also love mixing it in my hair conditioner (Aubrey Organics GPB). Makes my hair so soft and moisturized. I also used it as a deep oil treatment for my hair: slathered this on, put on a plastic cap and left it in my hair for a few hours. Shampooed and conditioned afterwards and my hair was ultra soft. Definitely will buy again.
Update 11/22/09: Why oh why did I change my routine? I usually use my shea butter mix on my face for moisturizing but decided to try this after reading a bunch of raves. The next day my face was a mess. It dried out my skin (I think it started up my seborrheic dermatitis again) and I got some pimples. The skin next to my nose and under my eyes felt like sandpaper. This was a few days ago and it's starting to get better but.... I will never do this to my face again. :(

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products