December 19, 2014 | 837 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2009 6:20:00 AM More reviews by Fleet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried the oil cleansing method several months ago. After trying olive oil alone, sunflower seed oil, and castor oil mixed with the other two, I was not satisfied with the results. My skin is extremely dry and I found I could not use the castor oil at all. Just recently I purchased virgin coconut oil for cooking, and tried it as a moisturizer.

At first it worked well, much better than oilve or sunflower seed oil. It seemed to sink into the skin better and leave less of a heavy, greasy feeling. Unfortunately, over the weeks it became less effective. I live mostly in air conditioning and I know that effects my skin, and I need a very serious moisturizer for my face. So far, after trying tons of drug store brands, higher end products and alternative treatments, coconut oil is definitely my second favorite moisturizer. I love that the one product removes makeup excellently, cleans and moisturizes without causing any breakouts on my sensitive skin. That was the biggest surprise, because all the other oils I tried broke me out and made my blackheads worse.

I've gone back to my HG moisturizer, Cetaphil cream, the thick kind that comes in the jar. Nothing else has been as good to my skin, not causing breakouts, and has kept my T-zone flake free. I really wanted this coconut oil to work. I never tried using the oil on my hair, but I did use it on my body. To be honest, I really hate the feeling of oil sitting on my skin. It's not as bad as other oils I've tried, but it still leaves a residue that makes my clothes stick to my skin. That said, I loved how it made my skin appear to glow from within, an effect that Cetaphil does not offer.

I would buy this again, but only for cooking and maybe as a hair treatment. Coconut oil is extremely healthy, and is a smart alternative to other vegetable oils for frying. The taste is not as distinct as olive oil. I do recommend that you, whether you use it for cooking or skincare, buy the virgin, cold pressed coconut oil, too receive the most nourishing benefits it has to offer. As with other oils, the more pure, the better.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2009 10:55:00 PM More reviews by mjoy14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried this as a body lotion, hair conditioner (hot oil treatment), lip balm, and as eyelash conditioner... my eyelashes became very full and thick and LONG with using this!! But for every other use... not so much fun.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2009 10:20:00 PM More reviews by blindbird

I bought a jar of organic extra virgin coconut oil from iherb.com. Love them, great quality product, lowest price ever, cheap and fast shipping. I used it on my body skin. It was just a little bit greasy but super moisturizer. I couldn't stop touching my leg. After a few uses, I didn't feel the greasiness anymore and my skin didn't feel that amazingly soft and smooth like before. I thought it stopped working after a while, like everything else did to my skin( and my acne, another story). Then I stopped using it for one day and used Vaseline lotion instead. Boy I was wrong, the moment right after I put it on, my skin feel rough and dry, and sticky, even itchy. I came back to coconut oil and everything was fine. Never let everthing but this stuff touch my skin again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2009 10:02:00 PM More reviews by allaboutme08

i've used the virgin coconut oil from the Philippines and it does great on my face, body and hair!
coconut gave me a soft, hydrated, glow skin that my dry, sensitive skin changed.
coconut also gave me a shiny, soft, split ends free hair that my damaged hair really changed.
i love coconut oil for its fatty acids that are really good for skin and hair with its organic properties.
i wont stop using this on my hair and skin! love, love, love it

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

Coconut Oil is quickly becoming my "goto" product.

I use it in my hair before I wash it(usually with shikakai powder, occasionally shampoo) and after for shine and protection. I also mix it in with conditioners to make them a "deeper" conditioner or to make a conditioner a better leave-in.

I've also begun using it as a pre-shower massage oil to loosen dry skin, in shower scrub mixed with sugar or sea salt, and post shower moisturizer. My skin is super dry(especially my extremities), so it's enough on my torso but I still have to either mix it with a lotion for the extremities, or I layer - coconut oil first, then some lotion afterwards. I'm considering trying it on my face but am a little scared because I'm acne prone and so far, olive oil and African Shea Butter Soap(the real kind that looks like crumbled up oatmeal cookies) are working well.

I used to use all kinds of products for hair and skin, but I'm *finally* starting to whittle down my HG products based on what I use the most and helps to actually IMPROVE my hair and skin. So far, coconut oil is the BEST.

And then there's the scent.......
Ahhhhhhh... Yummy, yummy coconut. :-)

Will repurchase again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 2:07:00 AM More reviews by lexymiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love coconut oil. It is a special treat for my skin and hair. I donít put it on every night; rather I use it a weekly treatment. It absorbs really fast and surprisingly it is not oily. It makes my skin soft and supple. I was a little disappointed that it is not highly fragranced as I hoped, but it does have a faint coconut smell. I use extra virgin kind (Nutiva brand). The jar will last me a long time as a little goes a long way. I put it all over my body and on my hair before I wash it. Did not try it on my face yet as Iím afraid it will be too rich or it might break me out, but judging by reviews this is unlikely to happen. Will always keep this in stock.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by MadeasRage

I have thick, wavy, color treated hair. CO makes it shiny and soft, and my natural waves look beachy and tousled, not sloppy. Smell fades quickly ( in a good way). My colo looks brighter.

I had a patch of dry, rough red skin that nothing would shift. I put some CO on it and, after a year of ineffective treatment, it's gone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 4:17:00 AM More reviews by barkercakes

Yay!! I have unbelievably dry skin, I mean an hour or so after putting on lotion or cream my skin is dry. :( This stuff really seems to help! I put it on in the morning after I dry brush and then at night before I go to sleep. My skin has never felt softer!! Another plus is that you smell like a coconut macaroon all day!! it absorbs rather quickly and by the time I put on my clothes for the day I'm no longer greasy. The only downside I have found is the packaging, so I melted it and poured it into a bottle I can better manage rather than a big old drum!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 6:15:00 AM More reviews by bloom290

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

What a brilliant product! I only regret not discovering it sooner. This surpasses all other oils I've used for skincare. Sweet almond oil is not moisturising enough and I find the scent of olive oil unpleasant. Sunflower seed oil is quite nice, but it has done nothing to improve my skin in the long term. Coconut oil, however, has done wonders for me.

I purchased a jar after exhaustively reading the reviews on MUA and elsewhere, though I was still skeptical about a pleasant outcome. What a nice surprise it has been to find that coconut oil not only softens my skin substantially, but has also for the most part eliminated any KP/dryness bumps--and all it took was a brief application of oil! Applying it before bathing makes my skin much more comfortable during a shower, when it otherwise becomes irritated and drier. However, I often apply the oil after bathing--timing seems to make little difference in the final result. I also occasionally use this as a facial moisturiser and cleanser, and it is a great eye makeup remover. Give it a chance!

Edit to add: I suggested this as a hair treatment to my mother, who colors her hair and heat-styles each day without any protectant. Her hair was in an awful state--dry and brittle. We applied a bit of coconut oil, wrapped her hair and let it sit overnight, washing out in the morning. An improvement was immediately visible in the texture and vibrance. While her hair is naturally somewhat coarse and mine is baby-fine, it works very well for both of us. Yet another benefit of coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2009 2:41:00 PM More reviews by dominicangirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only body moisturizer I use now. For years I tried countless lotions and whilst some made my skin feel moisturized, it was only for a short while. After trying coconut oil out on my body, my skin feel moisturized for DAYS...

I had a problem with spots on my chest for some reason, and they weren't going away. After using coconut oil on my chest for a few days, the red sore spots all went away and my chest has now been spot free ever since! I use this all over my body and my skin feels super soft and supple.

I take a small scoop of coconut oil from the tub, put it in a bowl and pop it in the microwave for 30 secs so it forms a warm oil. I then rub it between my hands and apply where ever. It doesn't feel greasy and absorbs pretty quick considering it's an oil. The smell dies down a few minutes after application and my skin GLOWS.

I really would recommend this - for all those in the UK you can get a massive tub of pure virgin coconut oil from Holland & Barratts for £10. It will last you for AGES.