July 28, 2014 | 1495 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2011 12:27:00 PM More reviews by dawn65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using Cover Girl Last Blast Fusion for some time now and have been very happy with it. However, for me, mascaras are one of those beauty items where I am always looking for the latest that may end up being the greatest. Unfortunately, Maybelline's One by One Volum' Express did not fit that bill for me. Although I like the brush in this mascara (I think it's flexibility assists me in applying the mascara beginning at the very base of my lashes all the way through to the tip), I did not care for the formulation at all. I found it to be way too wet and very easily prone to smearing and clumping. I also did not care for the smell, which reminds me of cheap patent leather (think Lash Stiletto). I will not be buying again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by Kirtastrophe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was excited about this mascara because my eyelashes are on the sparser side, and I hoped that this would do what it says it will and coat them individually to make them look fuller. It didn't really do that. Overall, however, it's a decent mascara, especially for the price. It makes them look a bit fuller and longer, but nothing dramatic. I think I still prefer the falsies one.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2011 9:44:00 PM More reviews by ILiketoQuack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had really high hopes about this product, considering maybelline mascaras are high quality as well as all of the positive reviews on this product.

I was dissapointed. The formula is thin, the rubbery brush doesnt build up any kind of noticable lash whatsoever, and I feel like the product has already become dry.

Doesn't have anything on The Collosal. Will not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really really REALLY like this mascara. My lashes are quite short and have no thickness at all - this mascara gives me amazing length with 1 or 2 coats, no clumps, no smudging, plenty of seperation and definition. I have the shade blackest black which is a very pigmented deep black and makes my green eyes pop like crazy. Volume-wise it's decent, not amazing but good. Best mascara I've tried so far.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2011 4:22:00 PM More reviews by saffronia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Nice brush and application. Lashes looked nicely defined without looking spidery. Looked great for about 2 hours, then flaked and smudged. Also, this mascara smelled very strong--strong enough my eyes watered a bit throughout the day...pity...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 2:27:00 PM More reviews by musiclover07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara does everything I want it to! It separates my lashes amazingly and if I want more volume I apply two coats. My only warning is if you are going to apply two coats make it quick, if you wait too long it will make your lashes look beyond clumpy! Also be sure to curl your eyelashes before hand!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by debbers

I think I may have found my HG mascara! I always buy volumizing formulas with the intent of making my wimpy lashes more dramatic, but what usually happens is that they are clumpy and smear. Not this one! I love the flexible brush and at first, I was a bit afraid because I didn't think I was getting any mascara on the brush from the tube. But once I started applying, I could tell that wasn't the case! It applies smoothly and separates the lashes, making them look full but not clumpy. I can do 2 coats without problems.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 6:10:00 AM More reviews by Tit4Tat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to be a die-hard fan of Volum' Express circa 1999 when the formula was outstanding and the shade variety was way broader. Since then, I didn't really feel like giving this line another chance up until now. This mascara is just as great for giving some oomph to sparse lashes as well as evenly coating and separating thick eyelashes, very versatile which is a plus. Another eternal problem seems to be solved: there's absolutely no clumping on the brush whatsoever when you pull it out of the tube, you may even think the brush didn't pick up any mascara it sure did. It doesn't curl your lashes or anything so I wouldn't expect any curves, therefore my recommendation would be to thoroughly brush and curl your lashes prior to application, you will be rewarded with much neater appearance. Don't be intimidated by the very flexible wand, it actually works in your advantage, bending and reaching every little hair. The key to successful application of this mascara is to work fast and keep a clean spooly brush handy (I purchase disposable ones from Sally's, they are indispensable in castor oil and makeup applications). Basically, you need to swiftly apply mascara onto your lashes, starting from outer lashes moving inwards, with head tilted backwards, rotating the wand as you're applying mascara in zig-zag motion. Then, quickly brush through with your spooly and apply a second coat, concentrating more on the tips of your lashes rather than starting from the roots unless looking for a more dramatic coverage. You can't take your time, if the first coat dries before second application, I suggest leave it alone, otherwise you're risking to have spider legs instead of sexy. My recommendation is to work one eye at a time. Best notable thing about this mascara is that it doesn't flake at all; I napped while wearing it and woke up without a single smudge and I have very oily lids. Despite the ad's claims, it doesn't come off easily with water and soap but it does come off with makeup remover. It didn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, which is also pleasant. For reference, I purchased non-waterproof formula, shade Very Black. Would definitely appreciate this product more if they come out with shades like brown or plum. I'd say it's a repurchase for me, assuming it doesn't dry out in 2 weeks and the colour of the tube is so bright, you want to touch it, it's so cute. Will post update once test this mascara in conjunction with random lash primers.
*UPDATE* 05/27/2011 It's been 3 months and the formula is still the same, didn't dry out at all and works just as well on my eyes. I got back to my lash curling routine and find that this mascara is light enough to hold a nice curl. I know it's time to part with it but knowing myself I will end up trying something new and I guess this is why I've been holding onto it for so long. It's a definite repurchase down the road.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

I bought the waterproof version of this as I have only skin and wear contacts and was quite surprised by how easy the application was. It applies more like a regular mascara - nice thin coats and no clumping. The fat plastic brush makes it easy to sweep on a full lash while keeping them separated. Very easy to apply. No smudges - it's pretty mistake proof. And it gives you a really natural looking lash, only fuller. Easy to remove too with an oily remover. No scrubbing like with a lot of waterproof mascaras. My only negative comment would be to buy the blackest black they have because I got one step down from blackest and it's not dark enough. Still great cheap mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by pinkbrush

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this mascara a lot initially, the brush is easy to use, very flexible and does not clump or smear.