Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 11/25/2009 9:58:00 PM

AMAZING!!
I use it for my body right after the shower, over stretch marks, in my hair as a mask, and in my morning smoothies! Soooooo many benefits to this!! You must get the pure, raw, unrefined kind like Nutiva. I buy the huge tub of this stuff. Expensive but so worth it, puts all your other beauty products to shame! My boyfriend loves it too. DO NOT use it on your face though!! Use jojoba oil instead. It's too thick and will cause the sebum to rise to the surface and then cause you to break out. My boyfriend and I both got a few pimples when we tried it on our faces. Amazing for everything else. Yes you can eat it, it helps you lose weight! Don't believe me? Do the reasearch yourself on Google. It's a saturated fat that's extremely good for you since it's plant based. Better than fish oil supplements or biotin! Makes your hair incredibly shiny and healthy(I have hair all the way down to my butt thanks to this stuff!!)

on 11/22/2009 5:39:00 PM

Yes, I would buy this again but I'm not sure I'll need to! I've had my jar for over a year and I've barely put a dent into it. Coconut oil is a fantastic multitasker. My favorite use for it is as a hand moisturizer. There are plenty of okay hand lotions out there that protect you from chapping but in my experience don't really moisturize. Coconut oil is perfect for my hands. I usually swipe them through the ends of my hair after rubbing it in (be careful! it's, you know, oil). You can cook with it as well. It gets a bit messy in the summertime since coconut oil melts at around 75 degrees, but pop it in the fridge and everything should be fine. I haven't tried it on my face because jojoba oil was such a disaster for me and I'm prone to milia, but for those with more tolerant skin I'm sure it would make a nice eye cream.

on 11/20/2009 9:02:00 PM

I love this, this made my skin feel sooooo soft after I used this, without my skin being oily the next day, my skin just felt...healthy :]
I love this, and it cost me like $5 at whole foods. the only bad thing is that you have to warm it up before you use.

EDIT: This broke me out so much, and it made my skin a little flaky after a while, sometimes I still use it for my cheeks though because it gives them a health glow which i do love.

on 11/13/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

okay, I've read books on coconut oil, and I've seen the reviews here. I have to say I have seen NONE of the benefits. I used it for a few months on my face - HORRIBLE breakouts. I could feel the zits popping out on my face. I had read in one of the books that it cleans out your pores - it sure didn't do that for me. At first it was okay, I had no more zits than from my previous moisturizer. But after a few months, wow. I didn't realize it was the coconut oil at first and thought it was peri-menopause. But finally I had SO many zits, and each one had a hard sort of PIECE in it that I actually had to pry out with a pin or it never went away. And PAINFUL- OMG. So I went online and read that in fact coconut oil is extremely clogging - it was in the most comedogenic category. I switched to a jojoba oil/aloe vera moisturizer (Desert Essence) and have not had one zit since. Not one. I'm totally annoyed that I suffered for months with zits that I thought were caused by peri-menopause but that were actually caused by top quality extra-virgin coconut oil. Never again. (P.S. I also never noticed any benefits from eating it either.) Two thumbs down on coconut oil. (I never found it particularly moisturizing, either.)

on 11/6/2009 2:30:00 PM

SLOWLY, slowly I am trying out all natural products/oils to see if I can replace some of my skincare products and cut down on the number. I had disastrous results w/ jojoba oil (apparently, I'm allergic) which led to months and months of no more experimenting.

As I have found several wonderful uses, I will be posting this particular review under lotions/creams, skincare (face) and hair.

I purchased a jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil at Valley Natural Foods (I don't have a Whole Foods near me) for not much $ (forget the price, but I'm pretty sure it was under or around $10).

PROS: (1) just minor, barely detectable smell (I do love the smell of coconut so this could be a con, but I'd rather have a slight vs an overpowering smell)

(2) inexpensive

(3) tastes really good on toast (instead of butter) :)

(4) worx well on my legs as a moisturizer after shaving - my legs get positively parched and irritated after shaving no matter how moisturizing of product I use - this immediately calms the shaving reaction down!!

(5) works well as a pm under-eye moisturizer = no more seperate undereye moisturizer for me!! (use my regular moisturizer/SS during day under my eyes)

(6) works well as a partial facial moisturizer at night (by partial, I mean I can't use around my nose or I break out), but works beautifully everywhere else, especially on my flushing-type rosecea on my cheeks.

(7) calms down minor chem burns - I accidently left on my Nair Facial Hair removal creme 2 minutes too long = total redness (and I mean BRIGHT red) and PAIN! Applied this after applying cold water = w/in 2 minutes = great reduction in pain. After an hour, redness gone, pain gone, only left w/ small red mark on my chin which actually took several days to heal (peeled and everything - YUK)

(8) works well as a hand and foot moisturizer under gloves and socks at night - once I'm done w/ the products I normally use, I will replace w/ this. :)

(9) removes my long-wearing lipsticks and my MMU from my cheeks (excluding my nose - see above)

(10) worx well as a pre-shampoo conditioner - didn't hurt my color, did impart some shine and extra body :) (I also tried as a deep conditioner post shampoo - not a good idea = too greasy after drying my hair.)

CONS: (1) breaks out my nose area

(2) is too greasy to use during day

(3) does not remove my waterproof mascara completely...I do believe it would completly remove non-waterproof mascara, however, due to the little amount of wp product left behind.

However, I do highly recommend for all the other reasons listed above!!!

UPDATE 01/20/10: Have switched to grapeseed oil for both cleansing/eye MU removal. Continuing to use as a body lotion, foot lotion/hand/cuticle lotion (at night), pre-shampoo conditioner = still love!!

UPDATE 02/09/10 - saw a LARGE jar of the Nutiva brand at Walmart for approx $20

UPDATE 08/25/10 - I should have written this a few months ago, but:

1. after just a month of using at night on my hands under gloves, I now have to cut/trim my fingernails because they have become so strong and this is the only product I have been using (besides regular hand lotion occasionally)

2. since using this on my feet (and between my toes) at night w/ socks, I have not had a re-occurrance of athlete's foot. Normally I get it at least 1/month = haven't had in 7 months! Since this was the only product I've been putting between my toes (no matter what other moisturizer I may slather on the rest of my feet) the coconut oil gets full credit for this!

on 11/4/2009 10:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

OK, Since no one else has mentioned it..... Coconut oil is the absolute best PERSONAL LUBRICANT. I keep the big jar in the back of the fridge and scoop a little out and put it into a small cleaned jar and keep it on the nightstand. Works great for massage because it is absorbed - but lasts long enough to have a nice massage and does not leave a greasy mess on the sheets.

As a lubricant it is fabulous! Not sticky and does not need to be reapplied - it lasts! And it has no funny odor and only a very slight coco nutty flavor. Warm it slightly on your hand first or first contact can be a little cool. Swiping rather than digging in the jar works best. Just be careful because a tiny little bit goes a long way. You don't want too much or it reduces friction too much.

I have a tiny little glass jar that holds about an ounce that I use. I fill it half way and then microwave it just to let it melt into a solid piece in the jar. Then I throw it INTO my Kleenex box. Everything is right there.

Forget all the so called products with preservatives and fragrance, etc. This is the BEST !!

on 10/23/2009 10:52:00 PM

I got a sample of the Nutiva organic/cold pressed from a friend.
Yes, it's fabulous. Best lip balm, evah!
I use it on my face as a moisturizer at night and in the morning around my eyes and on my neck (it's too greasy for me to apply all over under makeup). I am acne prone but so far so good; no breakouts after three days.
As for hair, I've heard it can strip color but I will try it tomorrow to see how it moisturizes.
Also love how it's solid but melts on contact. This may be a HG! Will update after giving it a longer go.
Oh, have to add that I've had these broken capillaries and flakiness around my nostrils for a very long time and they have disappeared since using CO.

Update: Don't use it on my face--I like sweet almond oil much better as a moisturizer and Lucas' papaw ointment as lip balm. It's still good as a body moisturizer (great for intimate lubrication :-)) and for cooking.

on 10/21/2009 6:29:00 PM

After reading so many raving reviews here on MUA i decided to give it a try. I knew coconut oil is a great product for the hair and body but never tried it on the face. I have also read, a while ago, in some medical magazine that oil removes oil, which is something i've also read before in an old cosmetic book, a looong long time ago, but never considered it. I always counted on aggressive products to remove my makeup and impurities from the skin, and i would always have a shiny face, yet dry and glowless skin; i am 23 years old and my skin always looked like the skin of a 30 year-old. bleh.
so, i gave it a try. AWESOME.
i got my coconut oil in the form of a bar, pretty much like butter. i bought it at a supermarket in the city i currently live in, and this is my only complain-there was no packaging, just the aluminum foil it came in. i had to find a container to put it in, blah blah, it was a bit messy at the end of the process, but totally worth it.

i removed my eye makeup with it and cleared EVERYTHING in an instant, and i use a gallon of mascara every day. then i slathered it on my face and cleaned my makeup with the good ol' hot cloth, a method i absolutely love. i have been doing this for a while now and i am very happy with how my skin looks and feels like. for the first time in my life i feel like i have baby-soft, plump and pink skin, full of life and nourished. LOVES IT. i haven't used anything for cleaning (gel wash or face soap or anything in the family) for about a month. i love my skin, and i used to hate it even when i invested a lot of money in expensive products that didn't do anything. the only thing i sometimes do is adding a couple of pumps of Nuxe's Aroma Perfection cleansing gel in the hot water i use for cleaning my face. I can hardly wait to finish the Nuxe- though it is a very good product, my Coalface from Lush did much more for a third of the price (still pricy, 10 euros...). anyway. i am trying to eliminate ALL the aggressive products from my face routine and see what happens. i have a friend with perfect glowing complexion whose only beauty secret is washing her face with hot water and then using Nivea cream. but we all know beautiful skin depends on many factors, such as genetics, lifestyle, etc etc. not going into that one now.

getting back at our coconut oil- it is AMAZING on my body. my legs have always been very dry, especially at the half of the calves because of years of waxing, shaving, using rough shower gels and the entire plethora of harsh things girls do to their skin to keep it hairless. not to mention the dreaded silk epil, you know, the little tweezer epilator...which gave me a ton of bumps and folliculitis, basically ingrown hairs. removing those hairs costed me a lot in terms of skin hydration and aspect. it was very rough and nothing but Nivea worked. until i discovered this oil and i can honestly say I LOVE IT. it goes smooth, hydrates, everything you want, for MANY hours. it is a bit greasy indeed, being an oil after all, but it's definitely worth trying. complete HG, will continue using and using forever.

ironically, i haven't tried it on my hair yet but i can hardly wait, tomorrow is the big day!

one negative aspect- i think someone mentioned the non-extra virgin coconut oil doesn't have the coconut scent because of the methods used for its production. i hope the quality is the same because mine doesn't smell at all....:((( it works wonderfully yet i would have so loooved to get some of the 'real deal'. anyway, no biggie, this one is perfect anyways.
so yeah. that's my coconut oil story so far (barely used it once for makeup removing, several times as an all-over moisturizer and ADORE IT). so i will most probably come back for further updating. good luck to everyone in the meantime!

I don't use coconut oil for anything other than cooking! I tried it on my hair...disastrous...on my skin even worse...but as a kitchen staple...I gave it 4 lippies!

on 10/20/2009 4:50:00 PM

This is a serious HG for me !
Let me get straight to the point, I literally use this head to toe. EVCO got rid of my acne and KP !
The KP it took about 2 weeks without a hitch and the acne took about a month. Now, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but my face purged for about 2 weeks ( cystic and all- BE PATIENT ) but now I am golden.
For my face I wash with Aveeno Radiant foaming make up remover and a micro fiber cloth, then apply a small amount of EVCO over my entire face and neck while damp. This goes under make up or suncreen or both, I like PTR powder suncreen.
For KP, I apply liberally immediately after my shower ( twice a day ) .

Just for reference I have taken/used pretty much everything for acne and KP with the exception of accutane, so trust me when I say I am no stranger to prescriptions, peels or high end brands. As you know make up looks like shit if you don't have good skin- period !
This is also great for your hair, I brush it in and massage at night about once every two weeks.
As far as brands ( $9 to $16 ) I"ve used Garden of life, Jarrow and Nutiva I think-as long as it's extra virgin, cold pressed and organic, you're good.
S.