Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I go through this stuff like water! Smells great, works great, and makes my skin look great! I slather it all over my knees, cuticles, elbows, and basically everywhere before I go to bed (or on a date).

Works better than ANY other lotion...and it's natural!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I tried coconut oil as a body moisturizer about a year ago and happened to start breaking out around the same time -- on my chest, which never happens. I subsequently blamed the coconut oil and stopped using it. Fast forward to about a month ago, when I totally fried my hair with over-processing. I decided to give it a go as a conditioning treatment, since I really like using oils in my hair. I bought the minimally-processed Nutiva brand. My experience, thus far:

HAIR
Fan-freaking-tastic. I work in a whole mess of oil before I go to bed. Wake up, rinse thoroughly and condition, then scrunch a little teensy bit into my hair (whatever is leftover on my hands after taking care of my skin), towel dry, add blow-dry serum, diffuse, then scrunch in a teensy bit more to finish. My curls are soft, bouncy, frizz-free and shiny all day. My hair is very thick and coarse, so it can stand up to a goodly bit of oil, and even with this repeated application with minimal shampooage (once a week, if I've been hitting the coconut oil hard) it doesn't look greasy. Obviously, this will not apply to everyone.

BODY
zomg. Oh, the awesomeness. I suppose the fluke breakouts of last year were just that, flukes, because since using this my skin has been amazing. I bring the jar into the steamy shower with me, to let it soften, then slather on liberally immediately after turning off the shower. Towel dry and I am set. My skin has never been so soft, and as its sensitive, I don't have to worry about being rendered itchy by unidentifiable crap in moisturizers. I'm totally smooth, the little bumps on my upper arms were gone within a week, and I can hardly keep my hands off myself.

I will repurchase indefinitely, since it works considerably better than any other skin product -- and most hair products -- for which I could otherwise overpay. The smell is amazing, but pretty short-lived and doesn't compete with my perfume. Love!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Hmm I went over to the health food store and bought a tub of this. I bought the cheaper one (still organic) because I'm only using this on my hair and skin maybe. I love using it as a pre conditioner/scalp treatment. I think this would be excellent for people with very dry hair.

The specific type of coconut oil I am reviewing is the organic cold propeller expressed type (ie minimum processing and low denaturation).

Firstly I must make a mention of the internal benefits... it is really effective for dry skin and it stimulates metabolism. I have generally dry scaly skin on shins, although I take fish oil and flax seed / plus other plant oils, coconut oil taken within week or so has the effect of eliminating dry skin flakes. I also often get dry cuticles, a symptom of general fatty acid deficiency, and this is alleviated by taking coconut oil internally. I take about 2-3 teaspoons equivalent in the morning with other oils.

I find that my appetite is also very generous (not in a low blood sugar hungry way), as coconut oil is often promoted as an energy food and general immune enhancer. It should be a part of any diet that supplements a spectrum of fats, including (fermented if possible) fish oils and various plant/berry seed oils.

As for its topical use, I no longer have a dry skin condition so I actually find no use for lotions or moisturisers. Once you correct the body's own skin barrier functions, external products do not have a purpose.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This is great as an after shower lotion to lock in moisture. Its really thin so it doesnt feel greasy. I wish it came in a pump bottle so it would be more sanitary. But its the cheapest thing for me, my skin is so dry I cant afford to put lotion on.

This review is for the NOW brand of Coconut Oil, which comes in solid form with no other additives. Come winter, no matter how much water I drink, my skin is parched. I have mild eczema, which is sometimes irritated by certain products with certain chemicals. I don't really have the time to keep track of the irritants, so it makes sense to me to just use natural oils.

On a whim, I picked up NOW Coconut Oil (not organic) remembering something about how it was always around the house as a child. I'd forgotten how useful this is until after I rubbed a little on my hands after a manicure this afternoon. WOW. Encouraged, after my shower I just liquified this in my palms and rubbed it all over. Instant softness, no greasiness or oil. It soaks right into the skin. So there's no danger of oils getting on your clothes.

The coconut oil comes in solid form, but liquifies on contact, which is a plus because it reduces the possibility of it dripping on towels, etc. I massaged a little into my scalp as well with immediate relief from a tight feeling scalp due to dryness. NO stickiness, a real plus. It works so well, I've put away ALL other lotions and creams for now. This goes on quickly and easily and my skin stays moist and happy all day.

For cooking it is especially delicious for frying sweet potato fries, eggs. It can be stirred into smoothies. I also use it for my (Oil Cleansing Method) by massaging it into the skin and throat, removing it with a warm washcloth. It cleans out the pores, removes all types of makeup, including stubborn mascara and leaves the skin soft and smooth with no breakouts or clogged pores.

Sometimes the simplest things are best.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This stuff is GREAT! I have my husband rub a little on his scalp after washing to ward off dandruff. I've used it as a hair moisturizer and conditioning treatment, and it works wonderfully by itself or mixed in with other conditioners as a booster. My favorite use is as an all-over moisturizer because it leaves my skin with such a nice sheen. It's great for that glow on your legs after shaving. It's wonderful for those rough spots like elbows, feet, and cuticles. It's a good layering oil for extra moisturizing at night. I LOVE coconut oil as a makeup remover! Dab a little on and wipe makeup right off! Proceed with caution on the face, though -- my husband has to be careful not to put this on his face because it will break him out.(I haven't tried it there myself, i'm acne prone and scared) It's also thick, so a little goes a LONG way. I recommend that this become a staple in your house, much like rubbing alcohol or baking soda -- you will be sure to find some use for it! Now I'm off to try all the ideas you reviewers have given me, thanks!
P.S. I usually scoop some out and place in smaller jars to make it easier to use.

have been using coconut oil as hair treatment as well as on dry chapped hands/elbows/knees and sometimes as lubricant! i dont think you can go wrong with this simple product, the smell is light and divine, tastes lovely and it has a million uses, cooking, sun tanning etc etc the list could go on.
a little goes a long way too =)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Use a VERY light hand with this product if you're going to use it on your hair. That said, if I use some on my hair from about the ears down--this would probably be a dime-size scraping of it which liquefies immediately when I rub it in my palms--and then put it up in a bun overnight, then 'poo it out in the morning, my hair is fantastically soft.

It can weigh my fine hair down if I use too much of it even if I shampoo afterward.

i love it !!! i use it on my hair and it works sooo well better than alll the expensive hair treatment that i have ever used !!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products