Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 10/23/2009 10:52:00 PM

I got a sample of the Nutiva organic/cold pressed from a friend.
Yes, it's fabulous. Best lip balm, evah!
I use it on my face as a moisturizer at night and in the morning around my eyes and on my neck (it's too greasy for me to apply all over under makeup). I am acne prone but so far so good; no breakouts after three days.
As for hair, I've heard it can strip color but I will try it tomorrow to see how it moisturizes.
Also love how it's solid but melts on contact. This may be a HG! Will update after giving it a longer go.
Oh, have to add that I've had these broken capillaries and flakiness around my nostrils for a very long time and they have disappeared since using CO.

Update: Don't use it on my face--I like sweet almond oil much better as a moisturizer and Lucas' papaw ointment as lip balm. It's still good as a body moisturizer (great for intimate lubrication :-)) and for cooking.

on 10/21/2009 6:29:00 PM

After reading so many raving reviews here on MUA i decided to give it a try. I knew coconut oil is a great product for the hair and body but never tried it on the face. I have also read, a while ago, in some medical magazine that oil removes oil, which is something i've also read before in an old cosmetic book, a looong long time ago, but never considered it. I always counted on aggressive products to remove my makeup and impurities from the skin, and i would always have a shiny face, yet dry and glowless skin; i am 23 years old and my skin always looked like the skin of a 30 year-old. bleh.
so, i gave it a try. AWESOME.
i got my coconut oil in the form of a bar, pretty much like butter. i bought it at a supermarket in the city i currently live in, and this is my only complain-there was no packaging, just the aluminum foil it came in. i had to find a container to put it in, blah blah, it was a bit messy at the end of the process, but totally worth it.

i removed my eye makeup with it and cleared EVERYTHING in an instant, and i use a gallon of mascara every day. then i slathered it on my face and cleaned my makeup with the good ol' hot cloth, a method i absolutely love. i have been doing this for a while now and i am very happy with how my skin looks and feels like. for the first time in my life i feel like i have baby-soft, plump and pink skin, full of life and nourished. LOVES IT. i haven't used anything for cleaning (gel wash or face soap or anything in the family) for about a month. i love my skin, and i used to hate it even when i invested a lot of money in expensive products that didn't do anything. the only thing i sometimes do is adding a couple of pumps of Nuxe's Aroma Perfection cleansing gel in the hot water i use for cleaning my face. I can hardly wait to finish the Nuxe- though it is a very good product, my Coalface from Lush did much more for a third of the price (still pricy, 10 euros...). anyway. i am trying to eliminate ALL the aggressive products from my face routine and see what happens. i have a friend with perfect glowing complexion whose only beauty secret is washing her face with hot water and then using Nivea cream. but we all know beautiful skin depends on many factors, such as genetics, lifestyle, etc etc. not going into that one now.

getting back at our coconut oil- it is AMAZING on my body. my legs have always been very dry, especially at the half of the calves because of years of waxing, shaving, using rough shower gels and the entire plethora of harsh things girls do to their skin to keep it hairless. not to mention the dreaded silk epil, you know, the little tweezer epilator...which gave me a ton of bumps and folliculitis, basically ingrown hairs. removing those hairs costed me a lot in terms of skin hydration and aspect. it was very rough and nothing but Nivea worked. until i discovered this oil and i can honestly say I LOVE IT. it goes smooth, hydrates, everything you want, for MANY hours. it is a bit greasy indeed, being an oil after all, but it's definitely worth trying. complete HG, will continue using and using forever.

ironically, i haven't tried it on my hair yet but i can hardly wait, tomorrow is the big day!

one negative aspect- i think someone mentioned the non-extra virgin coconut oil doesn't have the coconut scent because of the methods used for its production. i hope the quality is the same because mine doesn't smell at all....:((( it works wonderfully yet i would have so loooved to get some of the 'real deal'. anyway, no biggie, this one is perfect anyways.
so yeah. that's my coconut oil story so far (barely used it once for makeup removing, several times as an all-over moisturizer and ADORE IT). so i will most probably come back for further updating. good luck to everyone in the meantime!

I don't use coconut oil for anything other than cooking! I tried it on my hair...disastrous...on my skin even worse...but as a kitchen staple...I gave it 4 lippies!

on 10/20/2009 4:50:00 PM

This is a serious HG for me !
Let me get straight to the point, I literally use this head to toe. EVCO got rid of my acne and KP !
The KP it took about 2 weeks without a hitch and the acne took about a month. Now, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but my face purged for about 2 weeks ( cystic and all- BE PATIENT ) but now I am golden.
For my face I wash with Aveeno Radiant foaming make up remover and a micro fiber cloth, then apply a small amount of EVCO over my entire face and neck while damp. This goes under make up or suncreen or both, I like PTR powder suncreen.
For KP, I apply liberally immediately after my shower ( twice a day ) .

Just for reference I have taken/used pretty much everything for acne and KP with the exception of accutane, so trust me when I say I am no stranger to prescriptions, peels or high end brands. As you know make up looks like shit if you don't have good skin- period !
This is also great for your hair, I brush it in and massage at night about once every two weeks.
As far as brands ( $9 to $16 ) I"ve used Garden of life, Jarrow and Nutiva I think-as long as it's extra virgin, cold pressed and organic, you're good.
S.

on 10/17/2009 10:49:00 PM

I looove this product for my Hair. I've tried it as a make up remover but found it too complicated and difficult to use. As a moisturizer is prety good!!!

on 10/17/2009 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

i love coconut oil!...its cheap, is amazing to use on your hair and body, and smells so good!...definitely a staple product for me...i've been through two or three tubs of it, and doubt I will ever stop using it.

on 10/17/2009 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I find coconut oil (I use the NOW brand) to be an excellent moisturizer. I mainly use it in the shower, taking a small handful and applying it all over under running water. Keeps skin supersoft and unscented, which is what my perfume loving nature is always looking for. To remove makeup, I massage liberally onto dry face and closed eyes, then remove with a dry washcloth, following up by washing face with Dove soap. No problems with breakouts. Just a good all around all natural product with multiple uses. And cheap!

on 10/14/2009 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product s amazing! it has so many uses! I use it as a facial moisturizer (about once a week, i have oily acne-prone skin and it doesn't break me out!) i sometimes use it as a body (hand, feet, legs ect.) moisturizer, granted, it takes a bit longer to sink in but the results are worth it! you can use it as a hair mask, makes your hair shiny and silky. You can use it as a cuticle moisturizer - worked wonders for me! This is a great buy, and even if you end up not liking it at all, just use it for cooking! Or you can pass it on for someone else to try. A while ago, i had a really nasty cold, and i kept blowing my nose and after about a week i had really dry flaky skin around my nose! After doing my regular skin care routine i patted on some coconut oil around their and by the next day, the flaky skin washed right off! This is such a great product to have at hand, even if it isnt an HG product.

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I use this as a body mosituriser and as a nighttime hair mask.
I warm it up in my hands and run it through the length of my hair (not the roots) and wash it off in the morning- it really tames frizz and makes hair soft and 'swishy'!
As an all over body moisturiser (not on face- too greasy) it is great- really makes dry, dull skin glow!
It is natural, organic and good for you in anyway you use it, so give it a go!

on 9/26/2009 10:28:00 AM

oh ladies... i'm so disappointed with this! after reading and re-reading review and doing way too many searches on the inet, i determined in my heart that i may finally have found a solution to my hormonal chin breakouts that i am way too old for (37)!! so i went out and paid 12 bucks for a jar of cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil. started using it after a couple of awful cystic breakouts. made things far worse. having tried various facial product, i knew that my skins reacts to anything new in a rejection manner and i'd have to live it out for a few weeks until things adjusted. well after 3 or so weeks i could no longer handle going out in public with 3 layers of foundation and feeling like a 13yr old again. so i came back and read the review again. by that time there was someone who posted that she made the mistake of buying virgin instead of extra virgin and that was a bad idea. so i figured that was my problem! went out next day and purchased the extra virgin variety. i would cleanse with my regular cleanser (oxy) and then gently rub a small pea-size amount of oil on my face as a moisturizer. the rest of my face loves it... ecxema gone around nostrils, wrinkles seriously diminishing around eyes. but... chin is going crazy! so i then read about the oil cleansing method and also read an article that said a huge percentage of acne breakouts are cause from "over-cleansing and harsh acne facial cleanser". so i figured that was the problem. stopped using the oxy and used the coconut oil as a cleanser (with the steamy washcloth method). i hoped that by wiping most of the oil off with the hot cloth, there would be less to clog my pores and things would go better. well it's been 2 1/2 weeks of that and i have the largest cysts under my skin now. they look like big lumps or growths on my chin/jaw. it's painful and embarrassing and i've given up on the coconut oil thing. what's really funny is that i don't have hugely oily skin or lots of acne... just hormonal breakouts on the chin area. i don't understand why so many people have great results with this natural product and my skin hates it! i really wanted to have clear, smooth skin!!
so i'm now moving on to the neutrogena acne wash in hopes that i'll get my chin back to the occasional small pimple and blackheads that i once hated and now long for! likely it will dry the heck out of the rest of my face but i'd rather deal with scaley than massive pussy cysts.
am going to try eating a tsp of the coconut oil/day (seeing as i already have it) and maybe that will keep my skin from drying too much.
any advise regarding better usage of the coconut oil would be helpful! if you've experienced negative effects and then figured out how to make it work for you i'd love to hear your methods!!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products