April 21, 2014 | 955 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2009 6:01:00 PM More reviews by ksdjfklsdjf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I researched extra virgin unrefined coconut oil because i heard many good things about it. I found it is great for the skin, hair, tanning, wrinkled skin, weight loss, and digestion. I have used it for all of these things (except wrinkled skin because im young so im not sure) and I couldn't be more pleased. My favorite uses are for washing my skin and for conditioning my hair. I use this as a face wash/makeup remover every morning and night. I only use this on my skin and wash it off with a wash cloth and water. Then after doing that I put on persa-gel 10 by clean and clear and thats all i do at night after washing with the coconut oil. I have always had oilyyy skin. My skin gets oily an hour after of washing it. After using this coconut oil to wash my skin the oil on my skin has reduced about 75% no lie!!!! I think this is better than anyyy face wash ive ever used for my oily skin and it doesnt strip my face of all its oil, it just leaves it with the perfect amount. Plus it doesn't make me break out. If anything it helps my acne. I was scared to use this on my oily skin but i am so happy i did. Im not sure if it will work that way for everyone but if you have super oily skin and want to reduce it .. give this a try!!! It also makes my hair look great and gives it more volume!! I am hoping it will eventually strengthen it a lot so it can grow longer.
UPDATE: I found a new cleanser called Dark Angels by Lush. That works perfect for my oily skin and it detoxifies my skin so well!!! I still love coconut oil but Dark Angels is my all time new favorite cleanser for oily skin it works even better than the coconut oil (probaby because it IS formulated for the skin haha). I will still occasionally use coconut oil though I have found another all love. have oily skin? CHECK OUT DARK ANGELS BY LUSH. it looks like a pile of dirt in a container but trust me its amazing.
UPDATE #2: Dark Angels broke me out badly, but I have gotten back in to the routine of using coconut oil to wash off makeup. I wouldn't recommend using only coconut oil because I think it has caused so blackheads using on its own. However, it is still definitely still one of my favorties for helping cut down on oil production! continued >>

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by hcnyc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this for my body and as a hair treatment. I read other reviews here of people using this on their face so I tried it as I rarely have breakouts and have really clear skin. The day after using it my face had erupted in pimples pretty much everywhere. I had to go to the dermatologist to get prescription cream to clear it up because it wasn't going away on its own, I've never had that before.

So in all I would recommend for body and hair but I wouldn't recommend using on your face as others have done.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by AyEcHiHuAhUa

I am so grateful I found the MUA reviews for this, and ran out to buy it. This has transformed my hair more than ANY other product I've ever used. Let me add, I worked in a salon for 2 years and tried nearly every single product in the entire store and this works better than ANY of them.

I have waist legnth, wavy hair. It will be curly for me if I scrunch it, it will be straight for me if I blowdry. Natural state is wavy/poufy. I get lots of compliments when I wear it curly but it always took a lot of work.

Gel, mousse, anti-frizz creme, hairspray, scrunch-scrunch-scrunch - head upside down for half an hour while I loaded gallons of product into my hair. The results were curls, but they were stiff curls, and they'd mostly fall out by the next morning.

What I discovered using Spectrum's Cold Pressed Coconut Oil was quite by accident: I'd just had a shower, and got unexpected company. My hair was wet, only time to towel dry, no time to blow dry. So, I looked around in a rush and grabbed the jar of Coconut Oil on my sink (having just bought it the night before, never tried it) I didn't know what was going to happen but didn't want my hair air drying into frizzy waves. I warmed about a teaspoon of the oil in my palm (that seems like a lot but I have very thick, very dry, waist legnth hair) and *scrunched* it into my damp hair and went about my business. I noticed my hair slowly drying into well defined spirals. WTF? This stuff seemed to encourage my hair to actually curl up on its own.

I experimented next time I washed when I had time, put about 2 teaspoons this time, total, onto damp hair, scrunched and blowdried while adding a bit more at a time and when I flipped my head over I nearly fainted. Beautiful, well defined spiral/ringlet curls that were soft to the touch and non-greasy. I'd never seen my hair look so beautiful and with only ONE product on it.

Needless to say this is all I put on my hair now when I go curly (finish off with a little hairspray for holding power). It's simplified my routine AND when I wash my hair, it's never been softer, shiner or more manageable when I'm not going curly.
I got a large mayo-sized jar at Publix for $9 and plan to repurchase again and again.

When paired with the curly hair technique "plopping" (you may want to Google that term, it's worth it) my hair is so curly that it literally shrinks up about 6 or 7 inches - and stays that way - none of the dreaded "fall out" that I got with using products like gel and mousse. I can't say that everyone with wavy/curly hair will get this result as everyone's hair reacts differently but mine LOVES this stuff.

In fact, my hair has started wanting to curl up on its own when I get out of the shower now before I can even towel dry or get a chance to scrunch the curls in. It's like my hair was so dry before it didn't want to curl, but now that it's moisturized and soft it wants to curl up and behave! :)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by peggy1234

This is one of the best all over body lotions I have used. It makes your skin look so healthy and feels great. I also use it at night on my feet with cotton socks. I love it as a night cream. It is one of the best moisturizer available and it does not break me out either. Try it you will like it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

I bought a 16 ounce jar of extra virgin coconut oil at the Vitamin Shoppe for about $12. I read the reviews for coconut oil here and knew I needed to give it a try. Since I bought it, I have used coconut oil on my hair, skin, and face.

For my hair, I put coconut oil all over my hair except for the roots. I leave it on for however long I have, sometimes a few hours, sometimes overnight. I wash it out with a clarifying shampoo and then condition as normal. Although the coconut oil does not make an immediate or drastic difference, after using it once or twice a week for a few weeks, I could tell my hair was in better shape. It was thicker, shinier, and more moisturized. I highly recommend

I use coconut oil on my skin too. I have really dry legs and I always have problems with them itching and looking very scaly. I apply coconut oil to them when I'm still wet from the shower and it absorbs well. I have to apply it to damp skin though, otherwise I'm gross and greasy all day. But applied to damp skin, coconut oil makes me so much softer than any lotion I have ever tried. The only downside is that I smell slightly like coconut (which I hate) but it does seem to fade after a few minutes.

I've also used coconut oil to remove my makeup, moisturizer my eye area, and treat any eczema patches. It worked great on them all. I highly recommend coconut oil. It's great, cheap, all natural, and highly versatile. What else could you want from a product?
continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 6:36:00 PM More reviews by lestagirl

This is a miracle in a jar! I use it for SOOoooOOoo many things.

Pre shampoo you can slick your hair with it, wait a little while, then shampoo out. You can also use it as an amazing moisturizer on your face. You can even cook with it, and it helps you lose weight. No, seriously. It's amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2009 2:33:00 PM More reviews by soniawonia

I don't know what id do without my coconut oil! I use this for so many things. I love it as a body moisturizer. I have a beauty mark on my shoulder that had started to change shape and wasn't flat anymore (this was about a week before I started to use coconut oil on my body). But like, I started using coconut oil all over my body, including my shoulder, and about, a week later I realized the beauty mark was almost back to normal :O
I continued using the coconut oil and about 3 days later, it was completely back to normal. Sweeeeet!
Other than helping me with that, its the best body moisturizer. Expensive body creams? Expensiver (not a word but whateva) body butters? Fuggetaboutit!
Coconut oil sinks right in a leaves my skin so soft and smelling exotic, ahhhh. I use organic, extra virgin oil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2009 9:30:00 AM More reviews by RuKa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this with coco butter for great conditioning and a glowy sheen on my legs. Love it. Awesome for my hair, it saves so much money. You won't be disappointed.. I'll just ditto what everyone else has said about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by lunormandie

Coconut oil for eye lashes /brows: did anyone ever try putting this on your lashes or brows? I've heard that it thickens and in some cases lenghthens your lashes? I've just started a few days ago so do not have anything to report. But I know its' really really great for hair. I happen to work with a girl from Fiji and she and her sisters have been using it on their hair and they happen to have beautiful gorgeous hair!
So I thought if it works on hair, it should work on eye lashes. Please send your comments and results if you have tried this. thanks much

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Rosefan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used it once so far.It seems to be the best hair conditioner I have ever used.I used it as a pre-poo,for an hour or two.My frizzy hair is so soft now,than 9months ago(this is when I went to the hairdresser the last time,to have my dry ends cut.)Ok,well I should have them cut again,but I'd like a nice long hair,so I don't want to go to the hairdresser often.
Coconut oil helps a lot.I have used the refined pure coconut oil,which was great for the hair shaft,and good for my scalp.I've bought the organic virgin at a heath food store today,so that must work better for my scalp I guess.I'll update the post later.
By the way,it doesn't darken my natural blonde hair,which is great.
I never know why,but some shampoos and hair products make it darker,some make it lighter.