December 18, 2014 | 875 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by laceydyan

This mascara is mediocre at best. The wand is flimsy as are the bristles. I felt like the formula was too wet, yet somehow I ended up with spiderlashes after trying to build this up with 3 coats. I thought it would be similar to Loreal Volume Million Lashes becuase the brushes look similar, but they are nothing alike. Bake to Loreal I go.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Midnightqueen1996

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I have had his mascara for about two weeks now, and I love it...
PACKAGING= I love the packaging because the brush is seperate from the actual pot of mascara, and I like this because you get to see what the brush is like before you buy it, which is great because with some mascaras you don't have a clue what the brush is going to be like.... I also like the colour of the packaging, (I know that doesn't really matter, but It's just a little bonus!)
ACTUAL PRODUCT: The pigmentation of the mascara is very black, and it holds a curl really well. The brush is fairly large, and the bristles are very seperated so it really does get your lashes "one by one"! This mascara works very well as day time mascara, as it gives you volume and length, without being clumpy. However this mascara is very buildable so you could easily increase the amount of coats you put on, and adapt this mascara for a night time look. Another bonus is, some mascaras can have a strong smell, but the smell of this mascara is very subtle, and barely noticable. The length and volume does last all day which is brilliant, and at the end of the day my lashes look the same as they did in the morning.
OTHER INFORMATION: I think the price is very reasonable for the quality of this mascara, and I would like to say again how much I like the packaging, this is definitely going to be my "go to" mascara for a long time!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Sue_raisin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using The Falsies, waterproof version for about 6 months now and I saw this new mascara and thought 'it might be the old Volum' Express formulation, but re-branded and re-packaged' so I thought I'd treat myself. I don't think it is though - hard to tell as the brush isn't the traditional "bristle" style, it's one of those soft plastic spikes applicators. I quite like using them as I can really control these wands, whereas with the bristles it's a bit more hit and miss. I was really surprised to see reviewers saying it's clumpy - I don't find it clumpy whatsoever, due to the brush it feels like you're brushing clumps out as soon as you get them in. It weighs my lashes down slightly despite use of my Shu's first. No flakies, and I'll see how it washes off tonight. Overall - not a bad product but I won't be buying again. I'll be swapping the wand and see how it works with my usual mascara. Update: realised that after 3 attempts at making this work, it's definitely making my eyelashes dry all wonky (is this a British word?) and they're all spidery - not a good look. Into the back-up bin it goes.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by glittertime01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you are like me, the type of person who hates The Falsies, then you'll enjoy this mascara. I found The Falsies to be too clumpy and it gave me spider lashes. I have moderately long and full lashes. This mascara does a great job of defining and separating the lashes while still giving them volume. As for lengthening, it's more of a volumizing mascara. but you do get some length. The consistency is similar to the Full N' Soft Mascara, its a bit wet. The wand is on the shorter side, which I like. You have more control. Although I enjoy this mascara, I found that it does not make your lashes look fuller. Since it defines and separates, it does not create the feathery look of lashes at the base. I think I'm going to stick with my Full N' Soft, although I would repurchase this, Also, I found that it flakes after about 8 hours, although I have the non-waterproofversion. The waterproof one might not have the flaking problem.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/22/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by MademoiselleLillie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

just got this the other day and tried it out this morning. not so happy with it, the brush is really oddly shaped and doesn't really get the corner lashes and I feel like I had to work harder with this than I should have. Also this mascara did nothing for volume and the brush didn't really grab the entire eyelashes (if this makes sense), and did not coat my lashes all the way to the tip. Going back to full'n'soft at least that gives me sufficient length. I'll probably give it another try but so far not digging it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Hearted

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product because it holds my curl and defines it. I have short, straight, and down-ward pointing lashes... Yes I am Asian. I got this in waterproof and this does not clump or very little clumping. You could just go through with a lash comb if it bothers you. No fall out. It gives a natural curl and very nice. You may want to go over with a more dramatic mascara if you want, but it's really flattering on it's own. Obviously, I have to use an eye-lash curler with this, but after I apply it. My lashes are suddenly more noticeable. It's an overall good buy and for the price, I would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by starrynight8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I should mention that I have the waterproof version...

I really like this mascara for 3 reasons:

1. It holds a curl! It's soooooooooooooooooo difficult for me to find a mascara that actually doesn't make my lashes limp again. I have sparse, short, stick-straight lashes, and this definitely looks good on 'em.

2. One By One is not only able to give me volume, but also length WITHOUT clumping up my lashes. :D

3. The packaging is adorable! (as shallow as that may be) The colors are really pretty and I absolutely adore the brush. Being me, I prefer rubber bristles :)

This has probably been one of the best mascaras I've ever had, and I've had a looooooooooot.

Would I buy this again?
Most definitely :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Phanatical28

As I've stated in my other mascara reviews, I have very long, full, curled lashes. Always looking for even more drama/volume, I picked this up along with a few others from Maybelline I've been wanting to try (the Falsies & Turbo Boost, both of which I've reviewed). I like the shape of this brush the most out of the three, but this took me a little more work to make look good also. However, because it doesn't clump (on me), it was easy to build up the coats without looking like a crazy person in the end. I find it looks/works especially nice on my very long, full bottom lashes. With many mascaras I have to be careful, because the lashes paired with my big almond-doe eyes can definitely turn into "little girl's doll," but this worked great without sending me over that line. Another great staple mascara by Maybelline.

Also, just as a side note - I love all of the packaging of their mascaras! Same tube shape, but different colors so it's easy to pinpoint which I want (I have a huge collection) & just grab and go without taking 20 minutes to look through each mascara. Brilliant idea, Maybelline!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kjinar

My lashes are long, but thin, so I use several swipes/coats of mascara to build up volume. One by One clumps too much for me to do this. It's not the worst, but I find the formula to be too wet. I also prefer a bigger wand/bristles.

It's staying power is okay, and it is easy to remove. I use a bar of olive oil soap at night to remove my MU, nothing else needed.

I don't like the floral scent AT ALL. It's.. chemical-ly and too strong, but at least the smell is not long lasting.

At a similar price point, I prefer Lash Blast. My favorite is Benefit's Bad Gal lash though.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2011 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Kristenhonto

I bought this mascara with high hopes seeing as the last one Maybelline launched (The Falsies) is now my HG. Boy was I disappointed. It's not that this product is horrible or anything, because it's not. It just doesn't impress me that much. First of all, the wand/brush is extremely flimsy, which I hate. The formula is really wet but not as amplifying as I'd hoped. Oh well, back to The Falsies I go. I'll be swapping this.