July 30, 2014 | 2056 users online

Liquid - MAC - Pro Longwear Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Kurbiskonigin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have combination dry/oily acne prone skin. This foundation covers well and lasts a while but works best with a primer.

However, the foundation I find can be streaky/splotchy because it dries fast, no matter how well you blend it doesn't seem even to me. Also, it accentuates my dry spots. This might be best for oily skin. It did break me out though, so if you have acne-prone skin I would test this out first.

I ended up returning this foundation because I really just did not like it.

The concealer, however, is no problem and has a much better performance than the foundation itself. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd use the concealer itself as a foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by andrea46

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation only arrived in my part of the world this week. No, I don't live at the North Pole, lol. So I've been reading all the reviews and lemming it badly, envious of everyone who got it. However, I would appreciate it if the reviewers would mention what color they got and a lot don't.
Got an email that the Prolongwear collection had arrived and was in the mall 3 hours later!
On the one hand, this stuff is amazing. i have tried very many o f the so-called longlasting foundations but this is in a class by itself. Both yesterday and today went walking, went through my excessive sweating, was in a hot kitchen but this remained fresh-looking for about 8-10 hours. I didn't try for more.
As for the color, I am less satisfied. I got NC 30. I am C4 in SF, Intensity #3 in EL DW Light, #6 in Photoready and #30 in CD Forever. It seems too yellow but for some odd reason, as the day wears on it seems less yellow.
Bottom line is that I am quite pleased with it and would definitely purchase again. Will update if there's any change.
UPDATE (almost a month after purchasing): In all my years of foundation wearing, and believe me that they are plenty, I have never come across a foundation that lasts so long. After 14 hour days, sometimes sweating, it is still as fresh as when I applied it and even better since it looks less "make uppy". I do need to touch up around my mouth and under my nose (eating and blowing my nose because I have a cold) but bottom line: you put this on in the morning and it sticks like glue until you remove it. I am using MAC Cleanse-off to remove and I like it very much.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Purchased this in NW20 which is the same shade I use in Studio Fix Fluid. ProLongwear does tend to oxidize a bit as did SFF. This shade is perfect on me, perfect match to my neck, actually better than SFF. I wear Prep & Prime Face primer then this and put a light dusting of blot powder then blush and it's a perfect finish!! It even lasted under stage lights at a production I was involved in working backstage and I was extremely hot by the end of the evening but my makeup looked great by the end of the evening, I did blot once because I thought my nose was a bit shiny but that's normal with my oily complexion. I highly recommend this and will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am so torn on this! There are things about it I love, and I really want to try to make it work, despite its flaws. First of all, this actually IS longwearing. No doubt about it. Even without primer, this sticks to my skin, and NOTHING sticks to my skin. Even Estee Lauder DoubleWear faded a bit by the end of the day. This one leaves my dark spots covered until the end of the day when I wash it off. It's pretty easy to apply, I used a stippling brush and then a sponge to blend. It takes a while to set, so at first it looks a little too orange/obvious on the skin BUT within like 10 minutes it sets to a matte finish. I have no problem with a matte skin finish, I think "dewey" finish things often just make my skin look oily. But if you do not want a matte finish, I woudln't recommend this. It makes my skin look very even and flawless. The downside: is it rather drying. I have dry skin anyway, and even with a moisturizer this makes my skin look a bit dry and ashy by the end of the day, especially on the nose. This is only after its been on the skin for many hours, but still, not the freshest look at the end of the day. I agree with the reviewer who said this is kind of like a stain for your face. So. I think this might work better for those with oily skin, the mattifying effect combined with the fact that your skin produdes a lot of natural oil probably makes a good combination. I really wish it worked better for me! I'm debating getting it and just using it on my spots, or perhaps trying to prolognwear concealer. Anyway, it seems to be a great MAC product. Try it! (I gave it a "yes" even though I'm not sure if I'd purchase [I am basing this review off using a sample amount of it] simply for the fact that IT LASTS.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by tracyltrust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have never been a fan of Mac products in general but was in need of a long-wearing foundation for my new salon job at the exact time this product was being launched. I grabbed a sample out of curiousity and I'm so happy I did.
I have combination skin with a fairly oily t-zone. I ususally find it necessary to blot my skin every couple of hours. I like medium to full coverage foundations that give a natural, skin-like appearance/finish. Prior to finding this I was using Nars Sheer Glow and I quite like it except I was finding it would wear off/ slide around my oily areas throughout the course of my 9 hour work day. .
The ProLongwear has been wonderful for my long work shifts in the salon where I am busy and active all day and not always able to blot/reapply powder, despite usually feeling a little sweaty and getting sprayed/splashed with water on the regular. It lives up to its promise and my makeup looks just about as good when I get home as it does when I leave in the morning. I wish I could say the same for my hair, lol.
The finish is quite natural. I wouldn't call it matte at all and neither is it dewy. I feel it is similar to the finish I get with the Sheer Glow and would describe it as "satin."
I should add that I always use a primer to diminish the appearance of pores and give a smoother application. I haven't found that the primers I prefer do much for the longevity of my foundation however.
I apply it over Clarins Instant Smooth or Too Faced Primed and Poreless using a damp cosmetic sponge to stipple it on. I have absolutley no problems with blending this product and I believe applying it over a primer is probablly why (since some people indicate it dries quickly?). I have to wait about 3 to 5 minutes to feel like it has "set" and then I use some silica powder to set it. I don't find this foundation to provide oil-control. I still blot every couple hours. The difference for me is that despite my moderate oil-production the foundation doesn't budge. I rather like that this isn't "oil-controlling," so to speak, since in my experience products that control oil tend to be drying. I think someone in need of serious oil-control should probablly look for that in a primer or sunscreen. The consistency of this foundation is perfect for me since it doesn't make me oilier and doesn't dry me out. It just performs very well providing buildable med coverage that I can depend on being where I put it all day.
I am NC 15-20 depending on the product and I am mixing NC15 and NC20 to get my perfect match. The NC20 is quite warm and seems a tad darker than NC20 in other MAC products. The NC15 is nice and neutral but a touch too light for me by itself. Definitely try and get a sample of this if you can and be sure to experiment with different methods of application. I highly recommend using a primer of some sort. Even my favorite and most amazing foundations look 10x better over a decent primer. I also really love a damp sponge for this one as I believe it helps with the blending (especially if you've never worked w/ long-wear makeup before).
Another plus: my blush doesn't budge all day either when I wear this foundation underneath it. I think I could probablly get away with skipping my e/s primer too with this on my lids but haven't experimented with this yet. I'm extremely happy with this foundation and I highly recommend it if your needs are at all similar to mine.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2010 7:03:00 AM More reviews by felicityc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I have always been a Studio Fix Fluid (NC25) devotee but decided to try the Pro Longwear as I do find that SFF comes off quite a lot (I guess I touch my face too much!) but often ends up leaving smudgey marks on any paper I touch!

I have to say with this is mind Pro Longwear is really good for staying put and it still gives a good coverage at the end of a long day.

The cons: Although I have oily skin this foundation (which I'm wearing right now) literally sucks all the moisture out of my skin leaving it feeling really tight and uncomfortable. It can look quite chalky and doesnt blend as well as SFF. I would say the coverage is not as good as Studio Fix Fluid so I have been applying two layers because I do like a full coverage.

Most importantly I really think this foundation had caused me to break out! I do have spot prone skin but can't remember the last time it was this bad. As I found with Estee Lauder Double Wear - you have to be really regimental about cleaning it off at the end of the day as it sticks to your skin and can be difficult to clean off completely leading to further breakouts.

I like that it has a pump but it has no cap so even when I lock the pump it still leaves traces of foundation all over my make up bag.

So overall I would say Studio Fix Fluid is better, but I am still in search of the perfect foundation....

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by LipstickCouture

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Rumours all a flutter, I heard many great things about this foundation - but unfortunately, I was hugely disappointed. *Sigh* - maybe, I should just stop believing....believing that the perfect foundation exists out there.

Where do i begin....

CONS:

- Yes, Mrs Oompa Loompa I became. Normally, I am well colour matched to olivey-yellow MAC SFF NC30, but NC30 in MAC PLW was more orange than well,.... orange. Absolutely horrible colour selection MAC (get it right for goodness sake, isn't colour what your brand is all about!?!), because even though NC25 was lighter, it was....still, Dale Winston-like (an orange TV presenter who must have been 'Fanta'D' in a previous life).

-And if looking orange wasn't bad enough, MAC decides to make your face and neck even more 'fashionably' uneven with the foundation oxidising to a lovely (ah-hem) Snooki colour.

- Cakey on the skin. Actually maybe I looked more like.....an orange cake.

- Streaky sheer to medium coverage.

- Very sticky at first but then atleast that disappeared as the liquid sets. It felt very heavy on that i couldn't wait at the end of the day to cleanse my face.

- Difficult to blend

- Appears semi- matte but with its cakeiness it was very ageing.

- Doesn't stink of paint like my MAC SFF but it doesn't smell like a bed of roses either.

PRO:

- Lasted 8 hours (but so does my ELDW)

- It has a pump - woop-diddy-doooooooooo :(

CONCLUSION

Four words = Don't. Waste. Your. Money.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2010 10:22:00 AM More reviews by tophuong

I initially quite liked this, but I think it was MAC select sheer powder on top that was its redeeming feature. It has a slightly tacky finish and whilst it does last all day, it looks really unnatural on me. Its a bit chalky and makes my (normal/slightly dry) skin look parched! It would actually be nice if it slightly wore off to be honest...but it does stay and for someone who's skin suits this better that is definitely a plus.

I also think it caused me to break out ever so slightly, I now have a bumpy forehead with lots of little clogged pores.

I won't be buying this again, as I think foundation should be consistent and easy to apply and blend, and this really doesn't do it for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

This is my new HG foundation - I haven't really had one ever that I was fully satisfied with, but this is the best I have come by so far, and I have tried almost everything from MAC, MUFE, NARS, EL and drugstore brands - so I have been through/tried more than 30 foundations in the past few years.

It's not full coverage, but it's perfect for me with a concealer underneath (I use the MUFE full cover tube, works wonders for me), and MUFE's loose matte powder on top - or any loose powder, really.
Lasts ALL day on my crazy oily skin - this has always been the major problem for me, that I get shiny by noon, but this truly stays on from morning to late afternoon, and still looks perfect!

The finish is very nice as well - I like the matte, natural finish, I really hate foundations with they "glowy" glitters in them, ick!

The pump-function is perfect as well, I find that many foundations pump wayyyy to much product, but with the Pro Longwear, it's a lot easier to get the right amount, as it doesn't pour out heaps of product.

Only downside to this product is that it's very liquidy, and I find I use it up way too fast - but I can live with that now that I've found my forever-after foundation lol :)

I love, love, love this foundation, and I hope MAC will carry it forever :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 6:34:00 AM More reviews by Amie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i love this, am a massive fan of Clarins long wear, and Revlon, but this is everything i wanted them to be. it does dry relativly quick, but does not cake up like Revlon. stayed true all day, and colour match was perfect (NC20). Worht every penny. I use minerlaize skinfinish natural in light medium over it, i only get moderatly oily during the day but i blame the skinfinish as i get that with everything when i use it. will repurchase.