NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 8/16/2011 12:07:00 PM

I like this foundation. I put 'yes' to purchase again, but I'd have to think about it.

My skin is normal/combo (slightly dry/slightly oily depending on season/skin treatments). I am acne-prone, especially when it comes to bad skin ingredients (i.e. alcohol). I check beautypedia.com, and a cosmetics ingredient dictionary before I put a new foundation on my face. If it's got a bad review based on irritating ingredients - I skip it (no matter what you lovely ladies might say :). This passed that first test.

The second test was whether I would react to it anyway. I prefer liquid foundation but will switch it up with powder (MAC Light-Medium Skin Finish Natural) every so often. MAC Skinfinish natural is my fail-safe I run to if I suspect a makeup product is breaking me out but don't know what it is. I can happily say that my skin has no adverse response to this liquid foundation, and that I am comfortable running to this now if I do have a break out and suspect a makeup culprit. I didn't start using it every day, but gradually worked my way up. I use this foundation about 4/7 days of the week (sometimes I use other foundations for work/give my skin a break on weekends).

This foundation has no pump. That's ridiculous - for what reason NARS decided this was a good idea, I can't fathom. My fingers are clean, but I have to swipe the top or dip my fingers into the cap every day and I hate that. It is unsanitary. I bought mine from Sephora at $55 (CAD) for 1oz. As far as I could tell, they don't sell a pump and I forgot to try and coax one of the SAs into giving me an extra (clean, unused) tester pump if they had any lying around.

I am usually an NC20-25 in MAC, #20 in MUFE Face and Body, #5 in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk (a tad pink/dark but passable), #2 in Face Fabric, W3 in L'Oreal True Match, #118 in MUFE HD, #30 in Mat Velvet + (touch too pink/dark but passable) - and I think that should provide some background for a colour match haha. I don't wear MAC foundation anymore, but I have worn NC25 and I use NC20 and NW20 concealers. I am truly neutral in the face, with a slight lean towards warm/yellow undertones (my body tans and generally does look more yellow/golden but my delicate skin like wrists, neck, face, etc. do have some pink and are more neutral). I find foundations with too much pink usually come off darker (than I like) on my skin.

Ceylan (Light 6) is a good match for my face and neck, but is just a BIT too light. I always wear sunscreen, but I still get a touch of colour on my face in summer. In the winter it should be perfect. Punjab (Medium 1) is a little too dark. I've tried both by themselves, and asked my mom/friends if they notice my foundation is off - everyone says both are a good match to my neck so they are both passable. Generally, I would rather my foundation be a touch too light than too dark so if I could pick only one I'd go with Ceylan (I think it's closer anyhow). ANYWAY. I mix two swipes (or a good drop - holding my finger over the top and turning upside down) of Ceylan with one swipe (or half dollop) of Punjab. This is my perfectly comfortable - ME - colour.

I use the beautyblender or Sigmax brush (the flat top kabuki) to apply. Both result in a similar finish - though the beautyblender can sheer it out if you want that kind of cover. I put a dot on forehead, each cheek (near undereye) and chin. I'd say this is a light-medium cover foundation depending on application. Personally I don't like a lot of coverage (ie MUFE Mat Velvet +) or matteness - and this is neither of those things. This covers acne scars pretty well, and I usually don't even use concealer for undereyes or acne scars when using. This leaves a natural satin-matte finish that holds up well throughout the day. It can definitely emphasize dry spots but not as badly as Armani's Luminous Silk. The finish of this foundation reminds me of Make Up For Ever HD (though I haven't worn that for awhile) upon initial application. This makes my skin feel SO soft and smooth (like noticeably, have to comment on the feeling, smooth) - I have to resist touching my face. I don't use any primer besides my skincare - toner/BHA liquid/moisturizing sunscreen. I don't usually even set this with powder, and I like the finish all day long (not really oily, don't have much of a problem with that).

This is a good foundation and I do like it, but the lack of a pump and the colour combining thing are annoying (especially since it's soooo expensive). This has a nice natural matte finish and I consistently reach for it - it's super easy to make it look good (natural, not cakey). In my experience, I've never had a disastrous foundation experience from high end brands (I do research to make sure they're right for me first before I try, though). I know this will last me for a good long while and one bottle of Punjab should last me 2 bottles of Ceylan - so I'll see. Since I read a lot of reviews before buying, particularly about colour, I wanted to write a review. Most NC20/25 were saying they were Punjab, and I thought that looked dark. However, if you're not crazy like me you could deal with either Ceylan or Punjab probably decently - especially if you're using a beautyblender to apply anyway. I find colour really influences how much I like the overall effect of a foundation, though, and ultimately how much I reach for it/use it over others.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Here's the thing: no cosmetics company high or low caters to my skin shade & tone, so finding a foundation is impossible. In fact, I look forward to sunless tanning in the summertime so that for a whopping 3 months I can FINALLY catch a break and wear any lightest-shade foundation I want with ease. I'd estimate myself at about an NC5-10, if MAC actually made either. Lightest-shade foundations labeled "Fair","Porcelain," & "Ivory" look either dark pink or orange on my face ... with an alabaster neck peeking out underneath it going, "Hi!!"

Well, Siberia is a match for me. Amazingly. I picked up Sephora samples of both this and Sheer Matte in this shade - and oddly enough, the Sheer has a less-shiny finish than the Matte.

P.S: The one and only foundation shade before this one I have found to actually match me was L'Oreal True Match in 1W - but sadly, the finish is just super-shiny on me & not wearable. Sheer Glow Foundation has the color AND texture going for it, so I'm just thrilled.

on 8/14/2011 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm still not sure how I feel about this foundation. I have been wearing it almost daily for the past month.

On the positive side of things the shade match isn't bad. I wear Siberia and it is the first foundation I have been able to wear without having to use a white powder over the top to make my foundation darker. This particular shade has quite a bit of a yellow tint to it and annoyingly the next pink based up tone is too dark. It does blend well initially and it usually lasts all day on my skin. I have found the best way to apply it is using my fingers and not over blending it. Also this didn't break me out or make my rosacea any angrier than usual.

However this foundation is awful on flaky patches and exaggerates my pores horribly!! I can't believe that a product that is supposed to be good for dry to normal skin can be so unforgiving. The only way I can wear it on drier days is by mixing it with a silicone based primer and making it a lighter finish foundation. Also it seems to be entirely a matt foundation on my dry combination skin.

I really wanted to love this foundation as it's so expensive and seems to work for everyone else but it just doesn't work with my skin. Such a waste of money!

UPDATE: I'm still using this foundation everyday and now I really like it! I apply it with my fingers and that seems to have solved most of my problems with caking. I love it!!

on 8/11/2011 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I'm testing this out today (in Macao) for the first time and immediately I realize that it's a little thicker than my Revlon Colorstay. However, can I just say, I absolutely LOVE this foundation - ESPECIALLY paired with MAC's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (in Medium Deep). I'm NW43. These two work in perfect harmony and give me a flawless finish. I would've loved it if this foundation had a pump like my MAC's Satinfinish though. Bottom line is I love this foundation but will use it during the Fall/Winter months - and judging how fast the sun's going down a lot sooner lately, that won't be for long! :)

on 8/5/2011 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm a MAC NC20/25 with golden/yellow Asian skin. Mainly oily in the T-zone. I find a lot of foundations are either too beige for me or they break me out in either cystic acne around my chin or cause an itchy rash around my mouth. Not pretty :P I wanted a medium coverage foundation and this product intrigued me after TiffanyD reviewed it on youtube. I love it! I have it in Punjab and it matches my skin perfectly. After applying it with a damp Sonia Kashuk sponge, I have a nice and dewey airbrushed finish and I don't break out! For the price you pay, you should darn well get a pump with it. It's rather silly that for $42+ you have to pay a few more dollars to get a pump. Other than that, HG for me!

on 8/5/2011 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am loving this product!! It matches my Indian skin tone perfectly!! Better than Bobbi Brown or MAC!! I love the feel, its not heavy and a little goes a LONG way. Which is good considering the hefty price tag. However I think it'll last me at least 8-10 months so I consider it value for money. An investment even into flawless looking skin. I have the colour Barcelona. Also, is not overbearing for my combination/easily turned oily skin. AND it didn't break me out which my BB Skin foundation was starting to do :-( and I have very sensitive skin so that's a big plus.

Would definitely recommend giving it a try!!

on 8/3/2011 2:38:00 PM

This foundation in Barcelona is a color match for my C4 / NC30 Asian combination skin and gives a natural, medium semi-matte finish. It is not really "glowy" or "sheer" and as other reviewers mentioned, will stick to dry patches since it has the semi-matte finish so be sure to prep with moisturizer and primer. I purchased the pump for $6, which is a complete rip-off, but what can you do. Lots of pigment here, so I use a half pump and add a drop of the Nars Brightening Serum and press into skin with my fingers as the Nars MUA demonstrated. Slightly cakey/powdery after 6 hours, but overall decent wear but lasts much longer than Shu Uemura (Glow Architect) or Shiseido foundations. Based on quality, texture, coverage, and color-match, would repurchase.

UPDATE: i increased to 5 lippies after i switched my skincare the last month and have a more hydrated complexion. Sheer Glow smooths on perfectly with fab coverage and finish. Love!

on 8/1/2011 12:09:00 AM

I have Dry-Combination skin. I am dry overall but i Ido have some oily spots on my T-zone.

I really wanted to like this foundation for its "Sheer" and "Glow".
Trust me, it is neither of those things.

I put it on, and it looked orange. It also came out a very powdery finish which I absolutely hate!

It was about 50USD at the Nars counter which is way too expensive for the quality.

I would recommend this foundation for someone with very oily skin as this is a matte finish which turns sort of powdery.

Wish I could return this (so bad!) but Nars does not offer returns (I believe).

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS!

on 7/30/2011 12:11:00 PM

Really wanted to like this foundation, heard so many good things about it. On the plus side, the colour range is really good and I found a shade (punjab) that matches my fake tanned skin perfectly as it has yellow (not pink) undertones. However for the price this foundation should really come with a pump! (you can get a pump for it but it needs to be purchased seperately which i think is quite bad as the foundation is expensive enough as it is!). no pump = product wasted! it does apply quite nicely, however what i disliked most about this foundation is that it does not last long at all! in the morning it looked fine, come the afternoon my face looked like a blotchy oily mess... would def not repurchase! as it was so expensive i am trying to use it up though, currently mixing it with my estee lauder double wear (which i love). it might work for some people def didnt work for me, and i have tried other cheaper foundations (eg mac studio sculpt) which are way better, last longer and give better coverage!

on 7/29/2011 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Seriously one of the worst foundations I ever used. Broke me out horribly, huge cystic and painful!! I wore it for a whole day and woke up looking like a pizza the next morning! It also made me a super oil slick within a few hours. I wouldnt recommend this to my worst enemy!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials