Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Like a lot of people I am sitting on the fence with this one. While the powder is just average and nothing special, I do like the packaging and how you shave off fresh powder every time you use itÖ Prevents wastage and by golly at $96 NZD you do not want this wasted.
I am NC20-25 and I use light, it is a perfect colour match. I use it over my Dior skin sculpt liquid foundation and this gets rid of oiliness for about 3hours before you need to re powder. When you re powder I find it can look quite cakey, however. In photos it looks amazing on, but I canít justify spending almost $100 on a powder when I know I could find a cheaper, if not better substitute. I tried using it on its own but it does not provide even medium coverage for my skin.

on 3/28/2012 1:38:00 PM

I bought a Smashbox kit which included the trial size powder. I didnt love the HD foundation nor the concealer, but I LOVE the powder. My skin is combination, oily tzone, visible pores at times. For this skin type, this powder does wonders to give you an even matte finish that diminishes pores and gets rid of shine. It feels light on the skin and it does last for hours without having to touch up.

Granted, every person is different, but those on the fence about buying should base your buying decision on the overall majority who love this product. I bought mine on Amazon for $28 which is about 55% off of Sephora's price. You'll get a large shaver compact that will last a very long time. The investment is worth it, so Go for it.

on 3/28/2012 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I don't even know where to begin. NO. JUST NO. I have fairly sensitive skin, but I have never had a bad reaction to a foundation, and I've tried plenty. OMFG this stuff broke me out in huge cysts all over my face. I looked like a monster. I had to get professional help for my skin to ensure that they would not leave scarring. I understand that this doesn't happen to everyone, but I advise that if you have even a slight reaction to this product to stop using it. I made the mistake of continue using this product because I wanted to like it SO badly. Anyways this is just my story. Everyone reacts differently to makeup. Returned it and got my money back.

on 3/15/2012 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Count me amongst those who aren't overly impressed with this powder. I bought a "to-go" size of it on ebay for a very good deal. I'm glad I did that, rather than shell out the massive amount of money to get a full-size. I bought this to use over foundation, not on its own. Turns out I prefer my Hard Candy Welcome Matte and e.l.f. HD powder over this. It doesn't really give me the soft, glowy look I was hoping for. The aforementioned powders do a much better job of that. It also just seems to make my face look a little dry (which is weird) and not smooth. And it doesn't last very long. I have to touch-up a lot more with this. I'm going to give it a try on it's own as a foundation, but I doubt I'd use it for that very often because I really prefer liquid foundations. On the plus side, the shade Fair actually matches my ultra pale skin. And I do really love the packaging and the whole shaving-to-dispense concept. Unless you use lots of product and go through it really fast, I would highly recommend buying the to-go sizes. I paid $14.99 for mine, and it has enough product (.25oz) in it to last a while, plus it's a smaller container and saves space. Even if I had ended up loving this product, I would still only buy the smaller size. I would feel way too guilty spending $60 on a powder unless I was using it as a foundation and it worked amazingly well for me.

on 3/4/2012 1:11:00 AM

I use to be a bare minerals gal till I met halo! I honestly am really picking with putting stuff on my face since I do have sensitive skin, but giving this a try I instantly fell in love!!!
This lasted me for about a year or so and it's great on my sensitive skin.

on 2/27/2012 4:04:00 PM

I really love this product. Its the best. If you normal skin, with no problem you can wear just as it is, a powder. You get full coverage and a nice glow. I use it everyday for 2 years and will never change to any liquids or other makeup. Your face feel light and you dont even feel that you are wearing anything. LOOOOOVE IT!

on 2/10/2012 7:05:00 PM

Great package - shave as you need - love the brush (still have and use it) - coverage - not so great. If you have good skin and want to have flawless skin - use this. If you have combo/aging skin - will not work for you. PLUS it is gawd awful expensive!!

on 2/4/2012 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm new to Smashbox (except for the primer, of which I'm a long time fan) and love this product. I got this in the skin perfect set, which was the perfect intro to the line.

This product is all it purports to be. Love it. I've used Lancome's mineral powder for a number of years, but already like this product even more. It goes on silky smooth and leaves a flawless complexioin in its wake. Where Lancome sometimes left a slight dry/itchy feeling, this does not do so.

I am a big fan of the packaging as well. It allows you to shave of a bit at a time (and I'll tell you, a very small amount truly does go a long way. The product (in the set) I received also has a mirror built into the lid, which will be great for travel. I plan to purchase the full sized product and save these travel sizes for travel, and my bag. :)

I would say if you're in the market for a perfecting shadow, give this a try. Good stuff.

___
Update: after using the product for a couple of weeks, I found it to be not as ideal as I hoped (wanted). I actually re-ordered the Lancome, which is perfect for my skin.

I still use this product on occasion - more when I'm in a rush, or just running daily errands. But for more special occasions or when I want a polished finished, I default back to the Lancome. It's a bit more time consuming but I find it to be worth it for the end result. I do wish Lancome's systems was a 2 in 1 and had the handy little shaver adn built-in mirror. But, in the end, it's the way it looks on my skin that is the ultimate determiner of what I'll use.

I won't repurchase. But I will finish this product. I would suggest it for those with few imperfections and perhaps slightly oily or combination skin. It's a fabulous concept.

on 1/28/2012 3:14:00 PM

Great packaging, amazing brush that I still use even though I don't have the product anymore, and it does everything it says it would do. It goes on smoothly, amazing coverage, very natural and gives your face a nice glow.

Only problem for me is that I have combination skin and the powder hydrates too much. By the end of the day my face gets very oily. I would not buy this product again because it's not the right powder for my skin type but I would definitely recommend it to someone else with dry skin.

on 1/27/2012 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This powder is great! Not too heavy with a light fresh coverage over your favorite foundation or tinted moisturizer! Not the cheapest of products but definitely something i would buy again.

Top Rated Smashbox Products