Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 6/24/2012 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Just finished a trial size of the Smashbox concealer, liquid foundation, and this hydrating powder. I've noticed alot of reviews saying that this made them oily and/or did not have enough coverage. Now, I find this to be purely a finishing powder for the liquid foundation; not to be used on its own. And this is a HYDRATING powder, so if oiliness is a problem, this is not the right powder for you.

My opinion on this product is based on my combination, un-smooth skin. After primer, concealer and liquid foundation, I buff this powder into my skin and the results are amazing. Fakes a poreless, glowing, perfect skin. The shaver is genius. Fresh powder every time, very economical, very clean. I am truly addicted.

on 5/19/2012 5:14:00 PM

I am admittedly not a chemist. However, it seems to me that powder is the opposite of hydrating, so I was wondering how this could be hydrating. Well, it isn't. It also isn't a particular effective powder. I'm glad I only have a sample.

on 5/17/2012 4:37:00 PM

I am trying to manage my rosacea by seeing a demotologist, using prescription meds and not aggrevating it. This has been a lovely addition. Although the powder is EVRY pricey, I will likely buy it again as it does not aggrevate my skin and it does calm down the redness.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Ok I really wanted this to work but it failed. I bought this to set my foundation and when putting it on at first it looked awesome but after wearing it not even 2 hours my skin looked so oily. I have combo skin and this did not work for me!

on 5/2/2012 6:10:00 PM

"Hydrating Powder", uh, ok Smashbox, whatever you say.
I was suckered into buying this at a makeover event at Ulta. I actually quite liked the packaging and the little "shaving" gizmo inside. I was told it is a mineral powder and that appealed to me to. It does not offer mineral like coverage at all. At the time of purchase my skin was quite dry but I never felt like this was hydrating. My skin is much more oily now than dry nowadays and recently tried this again and it's still fairly useless.

on 4/26/2012 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I hate this powder! Hate it hate it!
It says its hydrating but I feel tight when wearing it. It covers nothing for me, doesn't last long and I hate the packaging.. Too big and it's hard to tell when you're out of product! The color range is awful, and although my customer would always ask about it, I would suggest something else. It's way too expensive for what you get! 72$ CDN where guerlain meteorites compact is only 65$ ... This powder is a waste of money.

on 4/10/2012 11:47:00 AM

Nothing special. This powder provides zero coverage and does not impart a subtle luminosity as stated on the packaging. I like Estee Lauder Doublewear Mineral Rich loose powder to this product.

on 4/3/2012 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I had received a sample of this product, and didn't think much of it at first until my sister asked me what I was using on my skin because it looked amazing. I prefer this over all of my other powders because it sets my foundation without making me look like a corpse.

Mineral products tend to make me break out (I can't use BE or MAC MSFs) so I'm glad I didn't realize this was a mineral product until I looked it up to buy it - I wouldn't have tried it if I had known.

This product does take a light hand and blending, but I find the finish to be amazing, and it gives a subtle glow. I haven't quite finished my first one, but I'm going to restock now because I have coupons for both Sephora and Ulta.

Edit: I am now on my 3rd Halo Powder. The formula is amazing, the packaging is terrible. This is the 3rd one in a row where the clasp mechanism has broken and I have to poke my tweezers into it to get it to shut again. I'm not sure if anyone else has run into this issue but it's pretty annoying.

on 4/1/2012 10:21:00 PM

Lately I have been trying to replace all of my skincare products (two months ago I started getting cystic acne, and I can't figure out what is to blame). I bought this powder on a whim on ebay, I got the to go size, which was 7 grams and only fifteen dollars. Per gram this is actually much cheaper than bare minerals. Also the shaver is ingenious!

But the good qualities pretty much stop here. Every time I use this I feel like there is something wrong with the finish. It is chalky, and settles into all of my lines and pores. Also, I wore this on a humid day and after a few short hours it looked horrible and blotchy. I sat in my car for 15 minutes trying to make my face slightly presentable. For me there is almost nothing worse than being hours from home, about to see people and realize that your face looks ridiculous.

I HATE wasting money, so I'm probably going to use this on days when I'm only going to be out for a couple of hours.

If you are on the fence I would suggest saving your money. However, if you do really want to try this you should buy the to go size. I would have been much more upset if I had wasted more than just the 15 dollars.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Like a lot of people I am sitting on the fence with this one. While the powder is just average and nothing special, I do like the packaging and how you shave off fresh powder every time you use itÖ Prevents wastage and by golly at $96 NZD you do not want this wasted.
I am NC20-25 and I use light, it is a perfect colour match. I use it over my Dior skin sculpt liquid foundation and this gets rid of oiliness for about 3hours before you need to re powder. When you re powder I find it can look quite cakey, however. In photos it looks amazing on, but I canít justify spending almost $100 on a powder when I know I could find a cheaper, if not better substitute. I tried using it on its own but it does not provide even medium coverage for my skin.

Top Rated Smashbox Products