Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 12/16/2013 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Tried to love this but doesn't cover my pores...no matter how much I use it just melts into my face n I don't even hv very large pores but it does smooth your foundation otherwise.

on 12/11/2013 5:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to like this because of all the great reviews but I must be missing something. I use this and at first it feels just like Smashbox Photo Finish. Skin feels really smooth and makeup goes on nice. Then after about an hour or two, it all goes to crap. Creasing, oiliness, the whole 9. It feels like my makeup is literally sliding and melting off my face. It's basically the exact opposite of I'm trying to accomplish. I was really hoping this would replace those expensive primers but alas, another disappointment. If you have even remotely oily skin, don't even bother!

on 11/12/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was hoping my quest for a decent primer that doesn't cause my skin to look like a giant oil spill by afternoon would be concluded by this product, but unfortunately no such luck for me. While this DOES go on extremely smoothly and makes my skin feel nice and soft at first, as the day goes on I just get shinier and shinier (especially on my nose and forehead).

I've tried using this with and without moisturizer and I'm only using the tiniest possible amount that still covers my whole face and I still get oilier than I would without it. It also seems to cause my foundation to accentuate, rather than hide, the few fine lines I have on my forehead. I really wanted this to work for me because it's so inexpensive but I guess I'm just going to have to keep searching for a primer that keeps my oily skin in check!

Pros:
-tube packaging makes it extremely easy to dispense as much or as little as you want
-did not break my oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin out, nor did it cause any redness or itchiness
-made my skin soft and smooth for initial makeup application

Cons:
-absolutely zero oil control to the point where my skin is actually better without it
-does nothing to help conceal redness or acne marks/scars
-felt very greasy on my fingers (although it dries to a powder on the face)
-made my face feel stickier/greasier the longer I kept it on

Overall, I won't be purchasing it or using it on my face again, but I'm going to keep it to use for its intended purpose.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

When used as a primer, this Monistat Powder-Gel works just a great as the Smashbox, BareMinerals, MUFE, and the countless drugstore brands I've tried. It goes on smoothly, dries to a nice matte finish, and doesn't leave behind a film on the skin. I am very oily/combo and acne prone and this doesn't seem to bother my skin, add flakes, or clog pores. The ingredients the are very similar to many primers out there. I did notice there are only a few ingredients, instead of a long list of unpronounceable names, which leads me to believe this stuff really shouldn't clog pores. Sometimes less is more.

Basically, I'm loving this as a primer. The price is so low ($5.99 at my local Target) that I can't ever imagine going back to Sephora for a primer.

on 11/2/2013 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure

This made my face congested all day.

Acne prone skin beware or just stay far away. You will seriously feel it trapping the oil, dirt, and bacteria in your face, especially if you have an active lifestyle. I recommend if you are active buying some good johnson and johnson wipes

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Me :Dry, sensitive skin, prone to allergies and eczema, and the dreaded acne.

This is a fantastic primer, you need very little (rub it into the skin don't just slather it on like a dodo bird :D!)

Doesn't aggravate my dry, sensitive skin lasts forever, and the packaging is hygienic for those of you with packaging issues. Helps makeup last all day.

on 10/28/2013 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Finally got around to trying this as a makeup primer and I wish I hadn't kept forgetting to buy it! Wow. It makes my Prestige Wet/Dry powder foundation stay on nicely for 8-10 hours, when before I was lucky to get 2-3 hours out of the powder foundation! It also totally keeps the oil away... I have VERY oily skin where after a few hours either the powder foundation turned orange, or it just disappeared and my very red cheeks and oily skin beam through. This chafing gel stuff has completely changed that!

on 10/19/2013 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Update: 11/8/13- No matter what i do, the product breaks me out so I took off a star. It does give a nice finish, but I'll only be using it sparingly.

Does it work like a charm? Yes.

If you're an acne prone girl, should you be careful? YES.

As we all know we should wash our face when we use makeup, get the gunk off. When using this chafing gel as primer this is a MUST IF YOU ARE ACNE PRONE. If you don't it does clog pores, and may cause some breakouts. If I don't wash my face after using, I almost immediately get a couple pimples the next morning.

Used with caution, this stuff is lovely. Works perfect for a primer like everyone else has already repeated.

on 10/15/2013 4:12:00 PM

Awesome. Matte, pore-minimizing, non-irritating. Have used over powder mineral makeup and liquid foundation, works with both. Can't imagine shelling out twice as much for a primer unless it *literally* made my skin look like porcelain. The price may be climbing a bit, but still the most reasonable primer by far.

on 10/12/2013 9:32:00 PM

THE BEST FACE PRIMER IN THE WORLD.
I cannot believe how amazing this is. It keeps my makeup in place and long lasting. I used Revlon Perfecting Primer to see if it was as good as Monistat, but I found it to be terrible. It looked like the makeup flew away.
I don't find it oily; I touch up with powder because I get slightly oily throughout the day.
This stuff is incredibly inexpensive, around $6 for 42 grams. I can't imagine doing my makeup without this. It creates a silky, even canvas for whatever face product you're using. It has a slight smell to it (nothing bad) but doesn't linger around.
Because I love it SO much, I went out and bought 3 more tubes! :D
All it does is make my skin look absolutely flawless. It's the only primer I will ever use.
DEFINITELY try it out, it's 100% worth it.

Popular Primer/ Correctors