Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 4/6/2010 6:14:00 PM

I fell in love with this back in my teenage days and this was my go to scent for years. It had a deeper scent than the floral scents most of my classmates adored (and smelled a little woodsy to me) and that only made me love it even more as floral scents smell cheap and disgusting to me. The boys always seemed to genuinely love it and complimented me on it all the time (I can't say I blamed them since all the other girls and young women seemed to always smell like that damn Vanilla Fields which I always hated and thought it did not smell at all like vanilla! LOL).

Now here it is, upteen years later (13 or 14 years I think)... I recently realized I haven't been wearing perfume often at all and wanted to get back to wearing it... And realized this smell, though it smells exactly the same as it always did, now smells, well, HORRIBLE to me. Let's be honest and blunt, shall we... It's too damn strong, a bit too sweet, the smell invokes a headache for me now, and if one more person asks me if I'm wearing Obsession (because EVERYONE recognizes the smell of it), I think I'm going to scream. LOL I have a little left, but doubt I'll ever manage to finish the bottle because EW. I suppose my nose matured too much over the years to enjoy the smell any longer. I can say one good thing about this fragrance though (okay, so this is only a GOOD thing if you LIKE the smell) and that is that it lasts and lasts and lasts. One spray, ladies. Just one. And even then I'd recommend doing one spray out in front of you and walking through the mist because this is STRONG and it DOES NOT wear off. (Hell. it takes about an hour for just one spray to die down enough so it doesn't smell like you tried to drown yourself in a damn vat of it and I thought that even back when I was a teeniebopper! LOL)

Oh, and I agree 100% with the reviewer who pointed out the bottle is fugly. I gave it a 3 on package quality for that reason. The bottle is nice quality as far as spraying well, not feeling like cheap plastic or anything, but it's so damn fugly I had to take two away on packaging for that.

on 2/13/2010 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My opinion of this is sort of conditional--dabbed on sparingly from a sample vial, I like it a lot, in all its orangey/spicy/amber loudness. But I can't imagine applying even one full-size spritz, much less more than one. It would choke the wearer and everyone in the vicinity.

on 2/5/2010 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have worn this for years, and it is hands down my favorite perfume. It's strong, so you only need a little. My special twist on this is that I use a spritz of Obsession and then a spritz of Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Cannelle (Cinnamon Vanilla) - the combination is wonderful. I've been complimented by complete strangers on my fragrance and my boyfriend adores it.

on 1/26/2010 1:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is a fragrance I used to wear many years ago and I absolutely loved this scent. I tend to like Calvin Klein's fragrances and at that time, this was my favorite. I was so paranoid that they would discontinued this that I would buy two at a time. Soon afterwards, I found that many women were wearing this, which turned me off. I also became bored with the scent as well. Imo, this was a very sexy scent. At this point in my life, I would not repurchase this because I'm so fickle and like to rotate fragrances.

on 1/12/2010 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I love bergamot and sandalwood, so, Obsession is right up my alley. Very musky and very sexy! It's got a lot of *heat*, if that makes sense.

IMO, you should ALWAYS try a fragrance on before purchasing and I'd say that goes triple for Obsession. Though I love the scent, I totally understand why the muskiness of it would be a total turn-off. A friend of mine says it smells sweaty on her. Sweaty, musky - it's a fine line and it really depends on your body chemistry.

Also, a little dab will do ya! Obsession has major staying power and you really do not need more than one spritz.

on 12/24/2009 2:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My aunt has this perfume and I've only sniffed it once! The smell is so distinct that I can STILL recall it. As the viewer below notes, it has a slightly spicy punch to it, which I personally like. However, I can definitely see why some people would find it offending and far too strong. It reminds me of a more feminine cologne. To me, it's not a cheap smell. It's very distinctive and has an edge to it.

on 12/16/2009 6:07:00 AM

this is strong!!! very sweet and spicy. there is no mistaking this scent when someone wears it. i go into a time warp when i smell this...an 80's flashback!! when this came out it was all anybody was wearing and i got sick of it. now that so much time has passed i can appreciate it but still can rarely make myself wear this powerhouse.

on 11/27/2009 11:59:00 PM

I used to wear this a lot when I was younger, but now I am really sick of the scent. It is too heavy and sweet for me. Primarily too sweet because I like heavy scents like Paloma Picasso. It's just the combination of heavy and sweet that doesn't work for me. I have some of the lotion, body cream and perfume spray, but when I wear it, it just isn't me, However, I do like Obsession for Men (on men).

on 11/7/2009 6:55:00 PM

On me this is amber and sandalwood with a small amount of rich white floral notes thrown into the mix. While it's not my personal favourite oriental, I wear it regularly because my dh absolutely loves it on me and it's one of those perfumes I regularly get compliments on from total strangers. It all comes down to your personal chemistry. I can get away with wearing this to the office in cool weather, and I work in an open office with 3 other people, and it's not too strong or overpowering. Whenever I wear a new perfume to the office, I ask the other people I work with if they are happy with me wearing it, or if it is annoying them. Everyone in the office says this smells warm and spicy on me and not too strong at all. ON the other hand light florals are lost on me. Yes you should apply it with a light hand, and I must admit I would prefer to have this in a bottle without a spray so I could apply it much more precisely, but what are you gonna do? Don't be bound by the rules of sexy oriental frags should be worn only at night on a hot date. Ask those people closest to you if they think the perfume is suitable for office wear and day wear. If they think its not too OTT, go for it. I regularly wear other orientals to work (Tabu, Ciara, Bal a Versailles), with the blessings of the other staff.

on 11/7/2009 2:25:00 PM

Oh boy, I keep forgetting what great stuff this is. This one has a wonderful not-too-sweet dry-down that puts the newer cookie-cutter fragrances to shame.

The trick with Obsession is to use the tiniest amount possible! I learned this the hard way years ago when I used to spray on enough to kill bugs.

Now I spray a bit onto a little saucer and then dip my finger in the couple of drops there and dot it on the torso area before getting dressed. That way, later on there is this soft, woodsy, incense-y aroma wafting up, helped along by body heat and buffered by clothes. So by the time it hits any nostrils it is rather "quiet" but still noticeable, in a good way. A really good way.

The shower gel is terrific too!

Popular Fragrances