Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 1/8/2014 1:28:00 PM

I am currently taking a biotin gummie that I found at my local Wal-Mart.
It is called Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Hair, Skin, And Nails gummy.
Has biotin, vitamin C and E! It came with 80 supply of vitamins. They taste like strawberries so that is a plus! I take them every night before bed (says to take 2) for a month and I have already noticed a significant change in my hair and nails! skin, not as much. I do notice that my skin is less oliy and has been clearer but nothing amazing or dramatic. For the hair and nail results, OMG. I Have never taken a biotin product so powerful. My nails before were dry, cracking and always breaking off. Now, They are hard as rocks! And I cannot believe the amount of hair growth i have had. Love this product and will be repurchasing soon! :)

on 1/3/2014 3:30:00 PM

I have been using the oral supplement (tablet form) of biotin for about one year. I have super fine wavy hair that is prone to dryness, frizziness, split ends, and breakage. I thought using this affordable supplement was worth a try. I use the Natrol brand in the 1000 mcg dose.

I take it with food. Some multivitamins contain biotin. So you may not even need a separate supplement to get the benefits. The product is said to strengthen nails and/or hair by improving keratin "infrastructure." Keratin is a protein in hair, skin and nails.

I would say taking this product regularly for several months did improve the strength and appearance of my hair. My hair is color-treated and exposed to heat styling tools 4-5 times per week. I wash it every other day with a mild shampoo and then condition. I use a silicone-free shampoo, because silicone products tend to build up on my hair leaving it weighed down and lifeless.

I don't see any research data that shows biotin will speed hair growth. I haven't experienced accelerated hair growth when taking biotin. I think brushing my hair with a Mason Pearson brush at night aids growth, because it stimulates circulation in my scalp and distributes natural oils (sebum) to the ends of my hair. I believe the natural oils help to protect and strengthen the ends of my hair.

My fingernails are also thin. They tend to get small splits on the surface.I have seen little change in my nail health when using biotin.

I've read that there are negative side effects if a person takes too much biotin. It can lower your body's levels of other vitamins, among other things. So be careful not to exceed recommended dosages. Ask your doctor or a qualified health professional about taking biotin. Be aware of how much biotin is in your multivitamin, and take that into consideration before taking the supplement on its own.

Brewer's yeast, whole grains, eggs, dairy, and broccoli are good sources of biotin. I always try to get desired nutrients from food as well as supplements.

There's no magic pill for long healthy hair. I think you have to combine several healthy habits to make your hair its best.

on 12/28/2013 9:48:00 PM

I started taking this about a year ago (5mg per day) and have since stopped because it was making my hair grow too fast and it was becoming a pain to have to dye my roots every month! Definetly made my hair and nails stronger and shinier. Suprisingly didn't break me out either cause usually my skin is rather nuts. Works great for some people, not great for others. I do think its worth giving a shot!

Breakout alert: I've been taking 10mg a day with loads of water for ten days and my skin has just started to rebel massively. I woke up this morning with cystic acne in places I never normally break out - under my eyes??! I've come to the conclusion that it's probably Biotin as it's the only major change I've made to my skincare/diet recently. I'm reducing the dose to half this amount taken every two days and I'll report back in a few weeks. Watch out MUA'ers!

on 12/20/2013 2:48:00 AM

Since I damaged my hair, back in Feb 2013 and was a short pixie hair cut, my hair is finally 11 inches long (covers my ears) I took biotin at least 5 times a week.

Didn't break out into cyst acne or had any problems.

on 12/19/2013 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Here's my quick recommendation ladies & gents: If you plan on taking Biotin, please be prepared to drink water by the second!!! Biotin is very potent and can cause terrible cystic acne if you don't take them properly. If you want luscious hair, glowing skin and healthy nails, just take multi-vitamins.

on 12/9/2013 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I started using biotin after getting sick of my shoulder length haircut. I have seen growth in my hair but it has been falling out like crazy, but this could be because of stress. I have also gained 7 pounds, I haven't changed my diet or how much/how often I workout, so it could be do to biotin. I've decided to just let nature take its course and let my hair grow that way.

on 12/9/2013 12:31:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Gave me wicked cystic break outs. After a few months I didn't notice any difference in my hair or nails

on 11/17/2013 8:05:00 PM

I don't take this junk! It did nothing for me. A friend of mine told me to go to GNC and buy plain old MSM supplements and I've been taking them for months. My hair is growing at an alarming rate and feels like spun silk. My nails are long and strong and my skin has never looked better. MSM is truly my miracle! Plus it's healthy for other things as well. Love it!

EDIT: I only get the MSM...Not the stuff with glucosamine in it. Just plain MSM.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

it helps my nails and hair grow like crazy and super healthy.

The downside is that it also make me break out like crazy. UGH I wanna have good hair but then I don't want to be pimple face either:(

Popular Treatments