Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 7/25/2013 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

got this as a sample from sephora. broke me out with 5 large painful acne spots after 2 days of use. also was too greasy and heavy - not light at all like the mary kay primer i have tried before. hate it.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite of all the smashbox primers. its just feels so lightweight, its translucent, makes my makeup apply smoother and gives powders something to stick to, making them last longer.

it is very creamy, easy to spread, and does not feel greasy at all. I found the regular primer feels greasy on my face compared to the 'light' version. I don't have problems with breakouts either. great product! and it lasts a long time.

on 7/8/2013 7:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

In my teens I had pretty bad acne on my cheek area ( I am now 40) , and because of my sensitive skin I ended up with deep scarring and large pore issues on both cheeks. I have a really pretty face and it is really sad and upsetting at times that there is not much I can do about it – I have tried microdermabrasion and all that , but with deep scars nothing really helps and am not vain enough to get surgery which may make it worse. This really knocks my confidence.

Anyway – back to primers ! I have tried everything that claims to smooth out texture and improve the general look of the skin , tried Nanoblur ,L’Oreal Primer , Benefit Porefessional, Clinique Pore Minimizer, Estee Lauder Colour Correcter, Collagen Creams ..you name it. I had always heard rave reviews about the Smashbox primer , and despite always coming across it when travelling etc I never really got around to buying it and thought it would be too greasy for my oily T zone.( I stopped using liquid foundation a long time ago , as I found that the foundation would slide and settle into pores and make me look greasy and exaggerate my defects. For the last five years or so I have only used mineral powder which works really well and keeps me looking fairly natural and provides cover too.

Last week out of the blue I decided to go and get some Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I was actually really glad that there was no sales assistant at the stand in Boots , as this puts me off and makes me more conscious . I noticed that there was a β€˜ light β€˜ non oily version of the primer. Though not cheap I am ready to pay any price to make myself feel and look better. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best Β£25 pounds I have ever spent – and am willing to spend this every month if I have to !
Oh wow – I put this on the next morning before work , let it dry for a few minutes and then gradually layered my mineral powder over. Even in the hot summer weather my face stayed made up through the commute to work on the sweltering tube , all day at work , and back at 8 pm at night! I was amazed I even sat out in the sun in the park at lunch – not only did it keep my powder foundation put – my skin texture and pores and scars look DRAMATICALLY reduced – I feel more confident already – I did not even need to touch up once ! The only thing I did notice by mid afternoon was tiny oil through my pores on my nose – but negligible and nothing a blotting paper wouldnt sort , no need for more powder which just makes the nose look cakey.

I have been using this for 3 days or so now and am loving it. I was really tempted to go and get the green primer as I do have some redness/discolouration from the scars / hyperpigmentation ( I am Indian) , but when I went in to Boots/Smashbox the other day ( second visit) the girl did advise me that the green one would definitely be oilier and heavier – to be honest – the redness / discoloration is not too much of an issue as my powder sorts this – it was mainly condition and texture of skin. I am actually feeling so much better and more confident . My face looks natural and so much better. For anyone with the same issue as me – please try this out ! Don’t use too much as it will leave a whitish layer ..if this happens just brush off the excess with a powder brush.
I have not yet tried the primer with liquid foundation but will do – in terms of cover I get enough from my mineral powder so not in a hurry to do this.

on 6/15/2013 8:42:00 PM

I actually like this primer. It definitely helped with my oily skin. However, after trying multiple primers, I am sticking with the ELF mineral primer. It works just as well and is much cheaper.

on 6/14/2013 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

It honestly doesn't do anything, doesn't prolong my foundation, doesn't control oil, doesn't have spf. the only good thing is it is pretty light, so i don't feel heavy putting this on before foundation to separate my skin from makeup. and it didn't break me out :]

on 5/22/2013 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This did nothing for my extremely oily skin. When i first apply it it my skin feels really soft and looks matte but after an hour or so my skin gets oily and looks greasy.

on 5/5/2013 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I don't think this primer does much for me. It's an ok primer but not a super nice one. Also I didn't notice my foundation lasting any longer with it, so I won't repurchase it, but I will use it up until is gone. :)

on 4/21/2013 7:59:00 PM

I had tried the regular Smashbox Photo Finish primer a few years back and thought it was okay and was intrigued when they came out with one which was for oily skin. Still not impressed. Although I dont notice more breakouts, I put this on in the morning under concealer and loose powder and am still shiny by midday. Will not be repurchasing.

on 4/21/2013 12:09:00 AM

I have combination skin where my forehead is oily and my cheek is normal with large pores around the nose area. So that said without primer that area will look greasy 4 hours after i put on my makeup. At first i didn't know the benefit of primer, all i know i just want something to minimise the oil. Then i researched for the best ones, many have said that this and Laura Mercier are great. But at the end i choose to buy this on Sephora because i asked the BA what's the best between those two for oily skin, she choose Smashbox.

I'm impressed with this because it does the job really well. I put on my makeup at 8am and by lunch my makeup is still shine free. It last like that until 5pm (with powder touch up), after that the oil starts to appear but in softly sheen so my face looks dewy not shiny. This primer works better with liquid foundation, and another good thing is it doesn't emphasize the dry patch. I apply this with fingers and apply my liquid foundation with stippling brush, so maybe that's why it doesn't emphasize the dry patch.

I bought this on August 2012, i still have half of the bottle left. I only use this on my oily spot and dotted it with my fingers. I like this better than Benefit's Porefessional. And in my opinion Smashbox has wider range of primer than any other brand. They have the purple and green colour which are great to color correct and reduce redness.

Would i buy this product again? yes definitely.

on 4/20/2013 5:53:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My t-zone has been ridiculously oily lately. My makeup has been literally sliding off my face so i've been desperately searching for a primer to work some magic.
i went into Myer Melbourne after doing days of research and reading reviews and stopped at the KIT counter. The salesgirl highly recommended this Primer over all others including Too Faced as its oil free. at $52 i was very hesitant to buy until she advised i had 2 weeks to return it if it wasnt for me so i was sold.
i wanted to love this. and day 1, hours 1 to 3 i did. and then the makeup started sliding off my face. i tried every combination. dr brandt bb cream, eliss fass skin veil, studio fix, jane iredale powder foundation, no moisturiser, moisturiser, u name it. but alas, nothing helped. maybe if i was only slightly oily it would be the one but i returned it after 1 week and gladly got my money back. ordered arbonne from ebay for half the price so waiting on that to arrive (i have 14 days to return that also) :)