October 20, 2014 | 1398 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot - Groundwork

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by setsuko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is awesome. My favorite everyday eyeshadow. I wear it alone as a wash over the lid and blended into the crease for day, and then at night it I just add whatever e/s on top and it works as a great base! Doesn't crease at all on me. It's a great neutral taupe-y color with just a tiny bit of shimmer--looks natural but polished on its own. Container seems good, and you get a TON of product--I barely swipe a blending brush over the pot for each eye--so I think it will last forever!

I'm looking forward to trying other colors, but right now this is my HG daytime shadow.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2010 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Sugarnspice28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this paint pot after I purchased a few matte eye shawdows and my Indianwood paint pot would add shimmer taking away the effect of a 'matte' look. This glides onto my eye lids like a dream and has good staying power, it usually only creases on my inner corners by the end of the day. I have oily lids and this has really helped. I wear it on its own or with my matte shadows!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2010 10:09:00 AM More reviews by leblackswan

Okay, so I left the MAC store here in Istanbul, having paid a fortune, and having bought this... among other things. (It's a mistake to even set foot in that store!) And I came home and took a look at Groundwork and said I've made a huge mistake! I'm very fair, with pink toned skin and brown-based neutrals normally look terrible on me. The next day I decided to give it a try though, I have quite high brows and smoothed it on all the way up to the brows, then I put on a white shimmery shadow. You know how pale shimmery shadows can look terrible if you have even the slightest discoloration on your eyelids? Well this got rid of that and made my eye area appear- "luxurious", for lack of a better word, when paired with another lighter eyeshadow. I think I will be using this every day.

The only thing is, now I want painterly, since it's more suited to my skin tone, and can be used on it's own!.
x

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish I could give this 100 lippies. I want to scream my love for this item from the rooftops! I use this alone just about every day for a lovely wash of color. It's a nice soft taupe-y brown with barely noticeable shimmer (not glitter). It adds such a nice color to my NW20 skin and really helps to brighten my eye area. I do have quite oily eyelids and I am able to get about 5 hours of wear before this starts to crease. It's neutral enough that you can add a colorful eyeliner if you want or just use brown or black to look polished and pretty. The packaging is great on these, nice sturdy glass and the amount is generous for the price. This is my favorite of all the paint pots that I've tried and my favorite go-to daily eye product. If I could ever only use one eye product again, this would be the one. I would absolutely purchase this again. HG.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Chester99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this paint pot almost a year ago with the intention of using it like an eye shadow with other neutral colors but it so does not work this way for me. It looks like a lovely medium brown in the pot but it turns into a *greyish* medium brown on my lids. Not flattering! Instead I use it as a base for brown eye shadows to intensify them. (NW15-20 for reference.)
As a base it has the same quality as any other paint pot, it wears well and dries in a reasonable time so that I'm still able to apply eye shadow on top of it.
I'm sure it's not a bad paint pot. It just doesn't work for me. Hence, no repurchase, ever.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by ladyinsane25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this about a year and a half ago because I read somewhere that it is a good base for darker women. (I'm NC40 for reference) I tried painterly but it looked too ashy so I bought this with the intention of using it as an eyeshadow base/every day lid color.

First of all, the packaging is great. It comes in a sturdy little glass pot and it seems virtually unbreakable. My brother dropped my pot a week after I bought it *sigh* but it didn't get a single crack or anything. Love the packaging. Also it holds a LOT of product. Honestly you could use this every day for 2 years straight I'm sure. So in terms of value for money, it is great.

Now for the product. I would describe the colour as being a dark brown with a bit of a sheen to it. Honestly speaking, it doesn't look that flattering on me, but I think it's okay for an everyday colour so I still wear it from time to time. The reason it's not very flattering is that I find it kind of makes me look more dull. I don't know how but it does. Now I use All that glitters e/s every day and I look much brighter and open-eyed lol. I can imagine this working really well for office go-ers because it gives a bit of color but still looks neat and professional.

I wouldn't mind the color much but it's the consistency that doesn't work too well for me. Don't get me wrong - it is really creamy and applies really smooth, even if you use a brush/your fingers. I have oily lids though and this creases on me EVERY DAY. It doesn't help that I live in Hong Kong's humid and sweaty climate ugh. But after 3 hours or so it creases A LOT and I'm left with melted paintpot on my eyes so I have to wipe it off. I bought it mainly as an eyeshadow base so it doesn't work well for that at all. :( When I apply e/s on top it's the same.

Overall, a good product IF you want a really natural look and you don't have oily lids. If you have oily lids, do not get this and expect it to work as a base because I'm pretty sure it will crease. I wouldn't repurchase this color but maybe other paintpots yes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Daantje3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I actually love using this to fill in my brows!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 9:25:00 AM More reviews by LauraJean396

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is nice for a daytime smoky brown eye! (I am NW20 in MAC for reference!) I think this is so smooth and creamy! I am happy that I got it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2010 7:47:00 PM More reviews by glowww333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this pot about 1.5 years ago and used it about 5-10 times. It's not that it is bad, it's just that I use the black gel liner for the same purpose and I think it comes out better. I use the groundwork one when I need a dark base for my outer corner... I am not sure what else I can use it for without my under-eye circles looking awfully dark. After reading the reviews here I would try to use it a few more time, maybe I would like it more.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by fatuality

i would buy again but i don't need too, this stuff lasts forever!!! It works great on my eyes and is the first primer i have had that kept the color and didnt crease. however, i would only use this for browns, neutrals and coral, i tried purple and it ended up fading,. but for a everday look this is amazing, i would def, reccomend.