October 24, 2014 | 971 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by jella22

this product does deserve some recognition ! as someone who has not tried ALOT of eye primers and therefore, does not have anything to compare this product too, I find that it does the job..and it does it well !! I have had the same pot for quite some time and I do find that it hardens quite a bit over time (not sure if this is common or just mine), but it still is decent. also, for anyone with long nails this can be very annoying !!! other than that, I do often where this alone on my eyes (no eye shadow) and I have received several compliments (my skin is nc20) - it just provides a nice smooth surface for eyeliner ! not sure if I will repurchase but worth giving it a shot !

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ktcolt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

As I have aged I notice my eyelids are a wee bit more oily than in my younger years. I like how when I remember to use this, it keeps my eyeshadow from creasing!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!!

No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try others sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot haha

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by blacksheep6293

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Really liking this product so far. I use it as a general base for my Stila In the Light e/s palette and it does help the colour to stay for a good 10 hour day.
The colour is nothing remarkable, just a pinky/neutral light beige. I did previously have a paint pot in Bare Study which I realised was clashing with my matte e/s's (of course) and was creasing due to the frost.
I've definately found this one much better as a base.
The only issue is that these are in pots (which I guess is the best way to probably store them) however I hate when they start to dry out and come away from the sides of the pot. They start to become harder to work with, and take a little more effort to melt onto the skin, but it's still useable. This hasn't happened to my painterly yet, but it did with the Bare Study.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by PotatoGemm

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Best eye primer I've ever used, I don't get creased and horrible smudging with my eye shadows anymore. A little goes a long way and it evens out and smooths my eye lid so it's prepped and primed for some eye shadow fun! I have oily eyelids so this definitely takes away that oiliness, and uneven skin tone one my eyelids. Eye shadows blend so easily over the top of this, I would say be careful how much you use though; too much and it could cause creasing. Packaging is a meh, I find it does tend to dry out a little in the pot, so I like to turn mine upside down to reduce that. I'm so glad I invested in this, makes my life a lot easier. Thank you, MAC!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Herome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this product as an eyeyshadow base and it works perfectly. It evens out my skin and makes other colors stand out more. It creases only slightly at the end of the day (I have slightly oily eyelids) but it's not too bad. Also it lasts forever and doesn't dry out quickly (I have mine for over a year and still going strong :) )

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by gunc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Let me say that it will not work if you have super oily eyelids. It will work on moderately oily ones though.

I have moderately oily eyelids and this looks very drying at the time of application(it is not drying, just looks so matte), but at the end of the day, looks nice, not creased, not oily not dry either. Just great. I don't use it as a base under another eyeshadow, so I don't know how it would work then. I just apply painterly on my lids, use black liner and mascara on top.

One day I had just applied my night-time antioxidant moisturizer (a few drops of pure organic avocado oil, which I use around eyes too-MUA reviews say it helps with fine lines). And suddenly I had to go out, so I just swiped some of this on my lids and went ahead. When I returned, I was frustrated to see there were huge lines of painterly settled in my fine lines. And I cannot emphasize how little avocado oil I use. I use so little that I have trouble blending it to my whole face. I guess my skin's own oils combined with the added oil, turned my eyelids from moderately oily to super oily, and created that horrible look. So I learned never to apply it on top of any sort of eye cream, serum whatsoever.

Another point is, painterly is best when applied with fingertips. I do not ever recommend using a brush, any brush at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:05:00 AM More reviews by sarah0711

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE this! All of the reviews on here pretty much say it all. This stuff is the perfect colour to use on my eye lids to even out my discoloured eye lids and it even covers up the veins on my lid as well. Eye shadow applies smoothly over the top and this stuff improves colour pay off on any shadow I use plus it prevents creasing, or I can just wear it on it's own and it gives me a fresh and naturally 'awake' look. A little goes along way so while it is expensive to purchase it will last forever!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by royas784

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Painterly is a MAC favorite, and for good reason. I have been using it for about a year now, and reach for it often. I only use it as an eyeshadow base. It helps prevent shadows from creasing and fading too much. I apply with a concealer brush and make sure it goes on smoothly and evenly (a little bit goes a long way). I find that I absolutely need to use Painterly when I'm out at night or for a special occasion, as shadows look better/more "done up", and stay put. I was torn between Painterly and Soft Ochre, as both are matte and can be used as an eyeshadow base. I originally thought I should get Soft Ochre, as my skin has warm undertones (NC 35), but decided against it since it appeared too yellow for me. Painterly is a nude beige and blends out so it's more skin toned , and can be paired with any color eyeshadow. Since Painterly it is more of a nude, it will blend into a variety of skin tones and work well with whatever look you happen to be going for. Some people commented that Painterly is on the pink side.. compared to Soft Ochre, it is. However, it's really a nude beige, with slightly pink undertone, so it is very subtle and will work for more people. The woman at the MAC store let me know that Painterly is her go-to base shade, and one she uses on most clients, as it is works well for basically anyone. Her skin tone was similar to mine. If you have neutral or cool tones skin, or if like me, your skin is leaning toward warm/yellow undertone Painterly is for you. I'd only recommend Soft Ochre to those with obviously yellow undertone skin, because it's more of a yellow. Painterly is decidedly beige, so it will work for a wider variety of skin tones. You can always try it out at the MAC counter- chances are you'll like it too.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by melaniepich

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this!! My eyelids are so oily. If I use the urban decay primer potion my eyeshadow will still crease and come off so I use that as a pimer and the mac paint pot as a base. This looks great alone too. I use this as the color for all over my lids then I blend brown around the outter lid and it looks great! Love love love this. Also this lasts me a long time! Well worth the money I highly recommend. If I had to keep any eye products I'd keep this! (And my eyeliner) & the packaging is so cute