September 22, 2014 | 1289 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Herome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this product as an eyeyshadow base and it works perfectly. It evens out my skin and makes other colors stand out more. It creases only slightly at the end of the day (I have slightly oily eyelids) but it's not too bad. Also it lasts forever and doesn't dry out quickly (I have mine for over a year and still going strong :) )

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by gunc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Let me say that it will not work if you have super oily eyelids. It will work on moderately oily ones though.

I have moderately oily eyelids and this looks very drying at the time of application(it is not drying, just looks so matte), but at the end of the day, looks nice, not creased, not oily not dry either. Just great. I don't use it as a base under another eyeshadow, so I don't know how it would work then. I just apply painterly on my lids, use black liner and mascara on top.

One day I had just applied my night-time antioxidant moisturizer (a few drops of pure organic avocado oil, which I use around eyes too-MUA reviews say it helps with fine lines). And suddenly I had to go out, so I just swiped some of this on my lids and went ahead. When I returned, I was frustrated to see there were huge lines of painterly settled in my fine lines. And I cannot emphasize how little avocado oil I use. I use so little that I have trouble blending it to my whole face. I guess my skin's own oils combined with the added oil, turned my eyelids from moderately oily to super oily, and created that horrible look. So I learned never to apply it on top of any sort of eye cream, serum whatsoever.

Another point is, painterly is best when applied with fingertips. I do not ever recommend using a brush, any brush at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 5:05:00 AM More reviews by sarah0711

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE this! All of the reviews on here pretty much say it all. This stuff is the perfect colour to use on my eye lids to even out my discoloured eye lids and it even covers up the veins on my lid as well. Eye shadow applies smoothly over the top and this stuff improves colour pay off on any shadow I use plus it prevents creasing, or I can just wear it on it's own and it gives me a fresh and naturally 'awake' look. A little goes along way so while it is expensive to purchase it will last forever!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by royas784

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Painterly is a MAC favorite, and for good reason. I have been using it for about a year now, and reach for it often. I only use it as an eyeshadow base. It helps prevent shadows from creasing and fading too much. I apply with a concealer brush and make sure it goes on smoothly and evenly (a little bit goes a long way). I find that I absolutely need to use Painterly when I'm out at night or for a special occasion, as shadows look better/more "done up", and stay put. I was torn between Painterly and Soft Ochre, as both are matte and can be used as an eyeshadow base. I originally thought I should get Soft Ochre, as my skin has warm undertones (NC 35), but decided against it since it appeared too yellow for me. Painterly is a nude beige and blends out so it's more skin toned , and can be paired with any color eyeshadow. Since Painterly it is more of a nude, it will blend into a variety of skin tones and work well with whatever look you happen to be going for. Some people commented that Painterly is on the pink side.. compared to Soft Ochre, it is. However, it's really a nude beige, with slightly pink undertone, so it is very subtle and will work for more people. The woman at the MAC store let me know that Painterly is her go-to base shade, and one she uses on most clients, as it is works well for basically anyone. Her skin tone was similar to mine. If you have neutral or cool tones skin, or if like me, your skin is leaning toward warm/yellow undertone Painterly is for you. I'd only recommend Soft Ochre to those with obviously yellow undertone skin, because it's more of a yellow. Painterly is decidedly beige, so it will work for a wider variety of skin tones. You can always try it out at the MAC counter- chances are you'll like it too.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by melaniepich

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this!! My eyelids are so oily. If I use the urban decay primer potion my eyeshadow will still crease and come off so I use that as a pimer and the mac paint pot as a base. This looks great alone too. I use this as the color for all over my lids then I blend brown around the outter lid and it looks great! Love love love this. Also this lasts me a long time! Well worth the money I highly recommend. If I had to keep any eye products I'd keep this! (And my eyeliner) & the packaging is so cute

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by mizzemmixox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this product!!!! I have never used MAC products before and was a skeptic for years thinking that there had to be better or just as good drugstore products for a lesser price. I have REALLY oily eyelids as well as face so I have been struggling trying to find primers that can help my eyeshadow stay on and not crease. I have tried the urban decay primer potion, doesn't work by itself, and also the Too Face Shadow Insurance, and the same deal. They both creased on me after about 1-2 hours and the colours faded also. And I wasn't using bad quality eye shadows either, I have the Naked pallette. So I researched on Youtube and searched oily eyelids and I found a tutorial that told me to try putting on your primer and afterwards put a setting powder on top to soak up the oils. Tried that and it made my eyeshadow last for a couple more hours before it creased but I still wasn't happy. So I searched it again and found someone talking about this Paint Pot and how she paired it with her UD primer potion so I brought it and OMG I can't believe I've ever lived before this product. It doesn't crease my eyes at all! The colour of my eyeshadows do not fade. The other night I applied my eyeshadow at 6pm and didn't get home till 3am and I was dancing etc and my eyeshadow still looked like I just applied it. I would def recommend this product. My routine is I put my primer on, then the paint pot and then I put on the setting powder, after a few mins I then apply the eyeshadow. Sounds like a lot but so worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 7:31:00 AM More reviews by MsCadle

I bought this for a highlighter on my brow bone but also use it as an eye makeup primer. It doesn't crease and eye makeup lasts all day. I've had mine for a year and am just now running out. Great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by Jaenanda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my eyeshadow primer. It is the only one I use, the one I buy over and over again, the product that everything else tried pales in comparison to. This is the product I recommend to my coworkers, my girlfriends, my mom, the aspiring drag queen I net on the streetcar- basically just about everyone.

I feel naked without it. I wear it almost every day. I love the way the color brightens up my eyes and my whole face just by itself, although for me the real beauty is the way it makes my other eyeshadows "pop" and stay on all night (even dancing in crowded smokey sweaty clubs in the drenchingly humid summer months in New Orleans), I never endure "total makeup meltdown" as long as I wear this as a base.

As I get (a wee, teensy bit) older, I do find that the skin on my eyelids is changing somewhat (getting crepe-ier... oh well. it happens)- instead of sweeping and smearing it on as I used to in my 20's (seriously, I have been using this stuff for almost 10 years), I find that I sort of just need to "pat" it on, gently now (probably should have been doing that from the beginning).

I don't know why this works so well for me, and I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, but here's a little bit about my skin to help you decide if this review will be useful for you, one way or another:

My skin is moderately oily. Not a total oil slick but my T-zone does get "glowy" within a few minutes of powdering my nose, and my eyelids are usually a bit greasy when I wake up in the morning. My skintone is a very light olive, more neutral than golden but there are some really "cool" colors that I just can't make work for me. I like the "Painterly" color because it is just a touch fairer than my actual skin tone, and shows up rather neutral-toned on my skin. I can wear it under red, green, blue, silver, gold, or any other color eyeshadow without the color being affected much, although the intensity of the shadow always is.

This is a perennial makeup-bag staple for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by moe5474

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very heavy eyelids that fold over along with really oily skin. This lovely combination makes it nearly impossible to find an eye shadow/base that will stay on my lids for more than a few hours. Most shadows that claim to be waterproof still only last 3 hours at most.

I had my makeup done for my wedding and warned the makeup artist that there was no way anything would stay on from my 11:00am makeup application through the reception that night. I asked if I could get some extra makeup to reapply since I knew it would slide off before we even made it to pictures that afternoon. She assured me that MAC paint pots were the key and even though I was really hesitant (I've heard it all before..."I promise OUR product is the best ever!"), I gave in and trusted her.

Low and behold if this stuff didn't keep my shadow and liner in place from 11:am that morning to 1:00am that night when we finally arrived at our hotel. It's the only thing I've ever found that works for me.

For me, the beauty of MAC paint pots is that you can wear them along or as a primer to hold your shadow and liner in place. I've got these in several colors and honestly don't know what I would do without them.

Definitely my holy grail eye product!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Cheetahsmonk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I fell in L-O-V-E with these shadows! I'm on a mission to buy all of them. It's a good thing that "Century 21" carries them now because the only disappointing thing to me is that the MAC site ALWAYS seems to be out of stock on stuff.
Anyway, When I first touched the shadow, I was worried that it might come on too heavy.
I really don't like that kind of look (just my opinion) but I was wrong. It almost looked like I wasn't wearing any shadow! And my eyes looked perkier, didn't crease & came off when I took it off. (I TRULY hope the MAC company keeps this item well stocked & PLEASE DO NOT DISCONTINUE IT.....) because it DEFINETLY is my FAVORITE!.
Next to the Studio Fix It Foundation & the setting facial mist, I absolutely L-O-V-E these shadows! I'm hoping to buy more next week. I'm sort of on a mission to get all of them! LOL
MAC has a winner with this! Please keep the shades coming! I'd love a Peach type or subtle Burgundy color myself (for a future suggestion)......
Susan G