October 31, 2014 | 1577 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2011 4:44:00 PM More reviews by linet182

I have tried soooo many hair straighteners out there. Everything from the expensive stuff down to what you buy at the drug store, I can honestly tell you Chi is by far my absolute favorite. Sure it's a bit on the pricey side, but this is your hair we're talking about. I love this iron because it is ceramic, which means it doesn't damage your hair as much as the regular kind of irons. it gives you beautiful silky straight hair. I always get compliments on my hair style and really it only takes me 25 min to straighten. I say splurge on this iron it's well worth it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

GOT IT FOUR SUMMERS AGO AND IS STILL GOING STRONG!!! I didnt start to use it often until 2 years ago though but anyway. I have had my chi for a while without a problem. I am bi-racial and after I blow dry my hair my hair is so huge almost like an afro lol but after I am done my hair is straightened beautifully. I have a pink one with crystals around where it says chi. I don't remember what it cost I think around 120.Usually,a flat iron doesn't last me over a year.Well, this is just THE best! I went thru 2 Jilbere flat irons,a Solia or something,and others before this one and they did not last nearly as long as my CHI. I finally got smart and shelled out the extra cash for the Chi and I'm not looking back. It takes less than half the time to do my hair now. It gives me a great hair day every day. I'll never buy another brand. It seems to heat up pretty fast and get hot enough for my hair. I don't mind that it doesn't have a dial setting for the heat,since I always have to put my hair tools on the highest setting for my hair type anyway. I also mastered the art of curling my hair with it to. The plates make my hair super shiny. I would defiantly repurchase. I don't mind paying a little more for a quality flat iron for the type of hair I have I feel like it is a necessity not an option. Don't forget your heat protectant :)
UPDATE 3/6/12

So after years of abuse,dropping it ect the other day if dropped and the box that gets plugged into the wall shattered and broke. I couldn't seem to find all the little screws and all of the small pieces. So I went to JC PENNY to purchase another one. Pennies and ULTA are supposed to be a reputable dealer of Chi's. Well it turned out that the new Chi I purchased had chipping paint in different places and it looked really sketchy. Honestly it had some flaws appearance wise that even my old Chi did not even have after years. Out of curiosity and the fact that I had to it least get my hair somewhat decent just to get out of the house to return it.(since without flat iron use my hair resembles Chaka Khan and did not want to go into a salon with an afro). Well anyway my hair kept getting stuck in the new Chi so bad as if the plates were off or not aligned correctly so after my hair got caught twice I realized wow I really have to slow down and be more careful (something I was not used to doing with my old one) It also was not as hot as my old one (which also was more time consuming). I had to go over the same piece so many times and very slow "to try" to get my hair how it normally would look after using my old one again (more time consuming). So after go over the pieces several times much slower and getting my hair caught in it several times when my hair was done I had a few pieces that still had some wave in it and had a little bit of frizz as if I was out while it was sprinkling outside. So it took longer,ripped hair out,and didn't look up to my standards. So after that I immediately returned it and was leery about repurchasing another one since I'm not sure if they are making them so fast from being in such high demand that they have defects or if even reputable dealers are selling refurbished ones without knowing since over the years so many people have send/exchange their non working ones in under warranty and had replaced it for a new one. I'm sure all those go somewhere and get fixed very cheaply and maybe even get a tacky little paint job that will chip off.

My fiance ended up replacing the plug on my old beloved Chi for me and I'm happy that I can still use it until it dies. But when it does I will not be repurchasing another one since I suspect my Chi that was made many years ago is much better quality. It gets the perfect temp without frying my hair,quick and easy to use,and my hair has never got caught or snagged like that before even with cheap irons I used to get at Sally's when I was a teen. My opinion is Chi has went downhill and I don't think I will be able to find the one I had that I bought many years ago that isn't refurbished being passed off as new in a shiny new box with free serum. After this goes which I fear the end is near I will certainly upgrade I will probably be interested in FHI Revolution Professional, some other professional irons,or maybe I will even try out ones that have all the bells and whistles that aren't so well known yet and completely mass produced and ran through like Chi. Chi is like a slut at this point that everyone ran through. I would not recommended buying one now. It's old and outdated there is better out there and newer technology. Expand your horizons. And this is coming from someone that always boasted about my Chi so this was a hard review to write. I am lowering my lippie from a 5 to a 2 for how terrible the Chi's are now and would I buy again from yes to no. tears*

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by zoeybear20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I started going to a new salon, the girl used a chi on my hair and my hair was so nice and straight and shiny afterwards. I went out and bought one shortly after learning that's what she was using, and I love my chi. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now and it's still going strong. When it decides to not work on me anymore I will probably try out something else even though I love the chi, but it looks like there are even better straighteners out there that I would like to try. But I can't complain about my chi. It has helped me not have bad hair days.
I used to use it pretty much everyday, but now I try to only use it if I'm going out somewhere nice. I try to let my hair air dry so I don't damage it as much.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/18/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jcont1234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought the 1" Chi cermaic flat iron after reading all the positive reviews. Here are some comments:

Pros
-digital thermometer allows you to set the temperature up to 400 degrees
- heats up fast
- straightens my long, thick hair quickly
-ceramic plates did not do a lot of damage

Cons
- not dual voltage so you can't take this outside of 110v areas (a huge bummer for those of us who travel a lot)
- died after 1 year of use

I bought this off Costco.com for a under $80 so I can't complain too much. I have since puchased at T3 flat iron and like it a lot more.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Versailles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this flat iron as a gift for Christmas two years ago and it's still going strong! I've used three other cheaper brands off and on for about six years now and this gives better results by far. My naturally frizzy, not-quite-straight-but-not-curly-either hair is silky and soft from my CHI until the next time I wash it. I'd definitely recommend getting one if you're not worried about spending the money, but if mine ever breaks I'd probably search around for a cheaper alternative since I've seen quite a few suggested.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2011 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Jasmine19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Love my chi. Don't love the price though :/

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by loopylyssa10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I ADORE my CHI iron. I have very wavy hair and I go to sleep with my hair wet, so when I wake up it is just a big mess. I used to use a CON-AIR and I finally just got sick of lack of results. My aunt is a hair stylist and can get the best tools at a discounted price I had asked her to pick me up a CHI when I finally got it I was AMAZED at the results. It takes no time to heat up and it takes me no time to tame me hair in the mornings now thanks to this tool. I have gone through two of these irons so far they since I use it every single day I was surprised it even lasted me up to 2 years which I thought was phenomenal. I deffinitly recommend you spending the extra cash for this iron.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Shoppingisasport

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'd say this is like the Cadillac of flat irons. There are more expensive flat irons out there but this one is by far the most popular, and that's for a reason. They can range from $90-150 depending on the model you buy, I bought the basic one shown in the picture. I'll admit I put it through hell and it outlasted many of my other beauty tools. I had it for a good three years before it was laid to rest. Got it at Ulta when I worked there and it was around $60 with my discount. I kept the box for a year but when I had no problems with the CHI I threw the box and receipt out. Fast forward a year and it will no longer turn on. I remember saying to people when I worked at Ulta, how CHI had a lifetime warranty, well that's if you keep everything, receipt and box included, and send it back to the manufacturer. At Ulta we were pretty lenient about letting people return and exchange their CHI's. It was in the top ten most popular items we sold, and since they were being produced en masse, you couldn't expect a 100% success rate. Usually when people swapped out their defective ones they didn't have anymore issues. I thought it was the apocalypse when my CHI wouldn't turn on, that's how much I loved it. Well my boyfriend took it to his electrician friend, and he miraculously resuscitated it. Funny how I talk about it like it's alive or something. So it turned on, worked great, no issues for almost a year. By the way, I said I put this thing through hell, I mean it. Like used it everyday, dropped it, moved with it (that's how I came to throw the box out). I've heard varying stories about customer's experiences with their CHI's, but they usually do croak after a few years. The final straw for mine came when it would turn on, but when I clamped down on it, it'd turn off instantly. I noticed that it was some problem with the wiring, if I moved the wire a certain way and let it get hot, I could still use the CHI, but I had to speed up the process of doing my hair since I never knew if the wire was positioned just so that it would stay hot for more than 10 minutes. I whined to my boyfriend that his friend needed to fix it again, alas he no longer worked with him so he didn't know how to get in touch with him. So, I asked him to buy me a new one next time they were on sale at Ulta. So my boyfriend, knowing how important this thing was to me, and no doubt extremely reluctant to buy another one of these things (We originally got it for me for Christmas) started googling how to fix it. He took it apart and started using like, paper clips and random wires to try and re-connect it. It looked dangerous and it most certainly was, when he put it all back together, and plugged it in, there was a power surge and I remember it shocking him and a little spark flying out of it. Bottom line it didn't work. It was laid to rest shortly after, let's have a moment of silence for my CHI, shall we? HAHA! Regardless of what happened if I had the money I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I'd definitely treat it with more gentleness, and I'd keep the box and receipt somewhere safe just in case. It works so, so, so good. My hair never looked healthier and straighter than when I was using the CHI. I'm one of those girls with naturally wavy, thick, unmanageable hair, so you know how we are, we always want the opposite of what we're born with, and CHI fooled everyone into thinking my hair was stick-straight, shiny, and healthy. Some people would complain that it doesn't have a temperature gage, well I didn't care, cause the Hot Tools one I have now does indeed allow you to adjust the temperature, but I keep it eternally on the hottest setting. And that's what a CHI gives you, the hottest, quickest, most effective setting that a flat iron can possibly give. It's like it doesn't need a temperature setting because it's permanently set on BAD ASS. Good luck with your new CHI if you just got one, or if you are considering buying one, and you have thick, curly/wavy, coarse hair like I do, JUST DO IT!!! You will thank me later. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by zayala

Alright I don't own this product but I used it several years back and will recommend this iron, if you want super stick straight flat hair the first run through, as it does succeed in straightening, that is for sure. This iron is going to do "the job", if this is your first professional iron. However if you own another pro iron like the HAI, I believe you already own the best. Although I have Not tried the GHD yet. In my experience the straightening job with the Chi was affective to the extent my hair was so flat, thinned and stick straight and static-y in the section I used it in, that it felt gross. And if I was to put some type of serum or spray in this section before or after straightening, I feel I'd have then just a greasy static stick-straight mess.. which doesn't work for me. For reference I have fine ( but lots of it ) spiral curly/ wavy hair. I also used it on my friend's hair, who at the time had straight-up long, thick wavy hair, (with thick strands) and it was difficult to maintain an even texture throughout her hair, with some pieces stick-straight-static-y matted to her head, others going another direction, even after running the iron through slowly, multiple times. (Weird + frustrating)

The Chi, you definitely had to concentrate on your sections, using the exact same amount of heat in every small section, to get an even, consistent look, because A: it only had one straightening level---(Flat/ straight as sh*t) and B: (somewhat continuation of A) It didn't seem to have the type of glide where you can keep running it through your hair until you get the degree of *flattened/ straight* you're going for, or satisfied with. There's no Freestyle with it, if you will. It seemed impossible to get variations between thicker and thinner flattened looks, or maintaining some degree of your own texture and therefore volume if you choose, like the Hai. ; which would also seem *safer* for every day use/ multiple times a week use. Honestly I don't flat iron *that* often anymore but would be frightened using the Chi even weekly. I love how smooth the Hai runs through hair, and how I can choose the level of flat I'm going for from thin thin smooth straight, to straight and a lil thicker. I'm not sure if they have changed the Chi in the past couple years which might render most of what I said useless but regardless, I don't have any reason to give up my Hai. Unless it finally cashes out on me after 8 years, I keep re-taping the cord and it keeps truckin ;p...Even still, I would buy another Hai or check out other irons before ever considering this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by paper_dawl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am very particular about my hair always looking nice, unluckily for me I have naturally wavy coarse hair. After a long battle of hair straighteners (Conair, Revlon...yuck) I was introduced to CHI at a local salon. I have never used anything else since! Due to their price and my current status of a student I've been savvy enough never to pay a ridiculous salon price for one by simply price comparing online (using credible websites). I can get through my hair (which is thin) in about 15-30 minutes. It gets super hot quickly and only one temp. setting which I find useful since I feel MOST people want the highest setting possible regardless. My hair is always silky smooth afterwards with low heat damage considering I straighten my hair every day. I would highly recommend CHIs for anyone regardless of hair type but especially those who battle with awful natural hair like mine. It pays for itself over and over again. Just a personal note: be sure to fill out your warranty card just in case!