July 29, 2014 | 1884 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 6:05:00 AM More reviews by loopylyssa10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I ADORE my CHI iron. I have very wavy hair and I go to sleep with my hair wet, so when I wake up it is just a big mess. I used to use a CON-AIR and I finally just got sick of lack of results. My aunt is a hair stylist and can get the best tools at a discounted price I had asked her to pick me up a CHI when I finally got it I was AMAZED at the results. It takes no time to heat up and it takes me no time to tame me hair in the mornings now thanks to this tool. I have gone through two of these irons so far they since I use it every single day I was surprised it even lasted me up to 2 years which I thought was phenomenal. I deffinitly recommend you spending the extra cash for this iron.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2011 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Shoppingisasport

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'd say this is like the Cadillac of flat irons. There are more expensive flat irons out there but this one is by far the most popular, and that's for a reason. They can range from $90-150 depending on the model you buy, I bought the basic one shown in the picture. I'll admit I put it through hell and it outlasted many of my other beauty tools. I had it for a good three years before it was laid to rest. Got it at Ulta when I worked there and it was around $60 with my discount. I kept the box for a year but when I had no problems with the CHI I threw the box and receipt out. Fast forward a year and it will no longer turn on. I remember saying to people when I worked at Ulta, how CHI had a lifetime warranty, well that's if you keep everything, receipt and box included, and send it back to the manufacturer. At Ulta we were pretty lenient about letting people return and exchange their CHI's. It was in the top ten most popular items we sold, and since they were being produced en masse, you couldn't expect a 100% success rate. Usually when people swapped out their defective ones they didn't have anymore issues. I thought it was the apocalypse when my CHI wouldn't turn on, that's how much I loved it. Well my boyfriend took it to his electrician friend, and he miraculously resuscitated it. Funny how I talk about it like it's alive or something. So it turned on, worked great, no issues for almost a year. By the way, I said I put this thing through hell, I mean it. Like used it everyday, dropped it, moved with it (that's how I came to throw the box out). I've heard varying stories about customer's experiences with their CHI's, but they usually do croak after a few years. The final straw for mine came when it would turn on, but when I clamped down on it, it'd turn off instantly. I noticed that it was some problem with the wiring, if I moved the wire a certain way and let it get hot, I could still use the CHI, but I had to speed up the process of doing my hair since I never knew if the wire was positioned just so that it would stay hot for more than 10 minutes. I whined to my boyfriend that his friend needed to fix it again, alas he no longer worked with him so he didn't know how to get in touch with him. So, I asked him to buy me a new one next time they were on sale at Ulta. So my boyfriend, knowing how important this thing was to me, and no doubt extremely reluctant to buy another one of these things (We originally got it for me for Christmas) started googling how to fix it. He took it apart and started using like, paper clips and random wires to try and re-connect it. It looked dangerous and it most certainly was, when he put it all back together, and plugged it in, there was a power surge and I remember it shocking him and a little spark flying out of it. Bottom line it didn't work. It was laid to rest shortly after, let's have a moment of silence for my CHI, shall we? HAHA! Regardless of what happened if I had the money I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I'd definitely treat it with more gentleness, and I'd keep the box and receipt somewhere safe just in case. It works so, so, so good. My hair never looked healthier and straighter than when I was using the CHI. I'm one of those girls with naturally wavy, thick, unmanageable hair, so you know how we are, we always want the opposite of what we're born with, and CHI fooled everyone into thinking my hair was stick-straight, shiny, and healthy. Some people would complain that it doesn't have a temperature gage, well I didn't care, cause the Hot Tools one I have now does indeed allow you to adjust the temperature, but I keep it eternally on the hottest setting. And that's what a CHI gives you, the hottest, quickest, most effective setting that a flat iron can possibly give. It's like it doesn't need a temperature setting because it's permanently set on BAD ASS. Good luck with your new CHI if you just got one, or if you are considering buying one, and you have thick, curly/wavy, coarse hair like I do, JUST DO IT!!! You will thank me later. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by zayala

Alright I don't own this product but I used it several years back and will recommend this iron, if you want super stick straight flat hair the first run through, as it does succeed in straightening, that is for sure. This iron is going to do "the job", if this is your first professional iron. However if you own another pro iron like the HAI, I believe you already own the best. Although I have Not tried the GHD yet. In my experience the straightening job with the Chi was affective to the extent my hair was so flat, thinned and stick straight and static-y in the section I used it in, that it felt gross. And if I was to put some type of serum or spray in this section before or after straightening, I feel I'd have then just a greasy static stick-straight mess.. which doesn't work for me. For reference I have fine ( but lots of it ) spiral curly/ wavy hair. I also used it on my friend's hair, who at the time had straight-up long, thick wavy hair, (with thick strands) and it was difficult to maintain an even texture throughout her hair, with some pieces stick-straight-static-y matted to her head, others going another direction, even after running the iron through slowly, multiple times. (Weird + frustrating)

The Chi, you definitely had to concentrate on your sections, using the exact same amount of heat in every small section, to get an even, consistent look, because A: it only had one straightening level---(Flat/ straight as sh*t) and B: (somewhat continuation of A) It didn't seem to have the type of glide where you can keep running it through your hair until you get the degree of *flattened/ straight* you're going for, or satisfied with. There's no Freestyle with it, if you will. It seemed impossible to get variations between thicker and thinner flattened looks, or maintaining some degree of your own texture and therefore volume if you choose, like the Hai. ; which would also seem *safer* for every day use/ multiple times a week use. Honestly I don't flat iron *that* often anymore but would be frightened using the Chi even weekly. I love how smooth the Hai runs through hair, and how I can choose the level of flat I'm going for from thin thin smooth straight, to straight and a lil thicker. I'm not sure if they have changed the Chi in the past couple years which might render most of what I said useless but regardless, I don't have any reason to give up my Hai. Unless it finally cashes out on me after 8 years, I keep re-taping the cord and it keeps truckin ;p...Even still, I would buy another Hai or check out other irons before ever considering this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 3:24:00 PM More reviews by paper_dawl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am very particular about my hair always looking nice, unluckily for me I have naturally wavy coarse hair. After a long battle of hair straighteners (Conair, Revlon...yuck) I was introduced to CHI at a local salon. I have never used anything else since! Due to their price and my current status of a student I've been savvy enough never to pay a ridiculous salon price for one by simply price comparing online (using credible websites). I can get through my hair (which is thin) in about 15-30 minutes. It gets super hot quickly and only one temp. setting which I find useful since I feel MOST people want the highest setting possible regardless. My hair is always silky smooth afterwards with low heat damage considering I straighten my hair every day. I would highly recommend CHIs for anyone regardless of hair type but especially those who battle with awful natural hair like mine. It pays for itself over and over again. Just a personal note: be sure to fill out your warranty card just in case!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by summerrain1994

I have the little baby Chi - my sister bought a full sized Chi flat iron from Ulta and got a mini one free, and considering I only straighten my bangs, she gave it to me! (Which I am ever-so-grateful for).
Anyways, this is a wonderful flat iron. First of all, it heats up very quickly, I only have to wait a minute or two for it to get super hot. Second of it, after straightening, it leaves the hair SUPER shiny, soft, and frizz-free. Mind you I only use it to do my bangs, but for that it works wonders and I'm sure the mini would work just fine for girls with fine and/or short hair.
Another thing that I love about this flat iron is that it shuts all the way. I had another miniature flat iron before, and it didn't close all the way! This made it really annoying because I'd have to go over and over the hair to get it completely straight.
The prices of these things run high, but if you're lucky you can catch them on sale or maybe get a bonus extra like my sister did. Overall, I think that the price is worth it, and if this one breaks, I'll probably buy a full sized one!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 11:24:00 AM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I finally broke down and purchased a CHI and I have noticed a huge difference in how my hair looks when I use it, but I do agree with other reviewers, it gets too hot. I have also burned my fingers on sections of hair that have just been straightened. Despite how good my hair looks, I don't use it every morning because I don't have a lot of time and don't want to be late to work. I keep an old Revlon at work because I don't care what happens to that flat iron, but I'm too paranoid of accidentally leaving the CHI. The Revlon is not nearly as good, but does get my hair straight.

Pros: Hair is super straight and shiny

Cons: Pricey and gets very hot. Might be too powerful for some hair types.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2011 9:50:00 AM More reviews by everysunflower

I received this as a gift for Christmas. It's definitely the best hair straightener I have ever used. I do not experience any pulling, nor does it rip out strands of hair. My hair is semi-straight/wavy, naturally. But this straightener makes it flawless in minutes! It doesn't take me very long to get that desired, silky smooth, straight hair look. I have what you'd call "virgin" hair, so it doesn't have any damage from hair dying, etc.. My hair is very healthy. I do not straighten my hair every day. I straighten it maybe 2-3 times a week, if that.

The only somewhat negative thing I have to say about this product, but I'm not going to take off any points for it, is that it gets very, very hot! I have thin hair, so not everyone will experience this as I do, but when I go over a section of hair, and then touch that section of hair with my hands... OUCH! It's actually scorching hot. My CHI straightener only has one temperature, there is no adjusting temperature dial. So, that's the only negative. I really do not require my plates to get THAT hot. Regardless, it still works wonders!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've had my Chi iron for over a year. I bought it on amazon and it was less than half the normal price. (it's not a fake.) For years I used metal straighteners that murdered my hair. I then hopped on the ceramic plate band wagon. I used one from sallys which was better than what I had used and an h2pro which my friend gave me. the h2pro was much better but does not compare to the Chi.
I have very thick curly/wavy blonde hair that gets frizzy in humidity. Since my hair is now shoulder length, it only takes about a half hour to section straighten it. With my longer hair, it takes almost an hour.
It gets hot as hell. So hot that the iron won't burn me, the hair itself will. I do use heat protection products with do help with damage.
My hair stays in good shape until I wash it, even in the ever so wonderful florida weather. I notice it frizz some and sort of wave on the ends in high humidity. But I don't really blame the iron for that, it's just my hair type. For what it is, it does a very good job at keeping my hair tame and presentable.

A negative is that the plastic edges of the iron catch on and rip my hair. This happens every single time I use it. Nothing I can do to prevent it, it just seems to be a flaw with the design.
The CHI logo on the iron faded away rather quickly, a few months of use.
The iron slipped off my counter and fell (not hard) and no damage done, thankfully. This has happened three or four times. The cord of the iron is "heavy" and will drag it down, so be very careful with how you lay the iron and make sure the cord is not hanging off of anything at all or else it will drag the iron down and drop it.

I would buy another again or if I ended up having the money, trying another product. This is the best iron I have used and I am pleased overall with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This iron was average at best WAY over hyped ive used way better, i notice with the CHI i have to go over the same piece of hair 3 to 4 times ..... which is rediculous the GHD is wayy better in one pass straight smooth hair BUT one step better up is the KQC flat iron OMGG amazing with the kqc my normally curly unruly hair stays straight and full of volume for 3 days AMAZING<3333 love it and plus the black and red color of the kqc is sexy the chi looks like and ugly ... i dont even know tool and it gets dirty and dingy way too fast sorry CHI goodbye(:

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by amethystglow

Previous to this straightener, I had used a few Conair ones (which did pretty much nothing, even when I had it on the highest setting and straightened sections of my hair over and over again for hours...so much heat damage). I can't get over the performance of this straightener, I can straighten my hair in about 15-30 minutes! My hair is long, thick, frizzy and stubborn to straighten with my previous straighteners (that's probably why they didn't work so well, so your perfered flat iron will depend on your hair type). I bought it from a reputable hair salon (not online, in store) to make sure that I received a genuine CHI flat iron, and I sure did!!! I've had it for a few years now, and I usually use it most days of the week, so far it's pretty durable. Recently (with a lot of patience) I finally learned how to do straightener curls (I have the 1.5 inch flat iron), and they look like I had used rollers! Thank God for this straightener, especially for times when I'm in a hurry!