August 1, 2014 | 1305 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2012 6:48:00 PM More reviews by terrortwigg

I have used Color Oops three separate times on my hair and have been quite pleased with all of the results. I have very strong hair that is quite resilient to damage from dyes, so I dye it at home a lot. I've used Color Oops twice to correct a dye job gone wrong, and once because I wanted to remove some of the red tones before going a bit more ashy. The application is easy, just like normal box dye except the product is very watery. It smells horrendous, the main scent is sulfur (rotten eggs...) and then they threw some floral perfume in it to try and cover it up but it just makes for an eye wateringly awful scent. Anyways, it won't bring you back to your natural colour because hair dye has peroxide that lightens your hair before it deposits colour, so you will absolutely have to re-dye. I can't stress enough how important it is to rinse your hair and wash it about a zillion times with a clarifying shampoo or dishsoap, because the color oops only shrinks the dye molecules and then it's up to you to wash them all out, that's why sometimes people say their hair just gets dark again after application. The dye molecules re-deposit into the hair. The dying process after color oops is a bit of a gamble, because there's no way to guarantee how much colour will take. Honestly, if you have had a really awful dye job it's worth a shot to save some money before going to a hairdresser to get a colour correction.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by 19sarah83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Color Oops worked very well for me. I need to start with that.
I've been bleaching and colouring my hair for about 14 years, most recently i had coloured my hair vibrant red at a salon and then used Superior Preference a couple times. Looked great, but got to be a hassle (as i knew it would) to keep the colour fresh, and i missed being a blonde.
I ordered Color Oops Extra Strength and Extra Conditioning online, used them both (I have lots of shoulder length hair) according to their instructions, so it goes on like hair dye, wait 20 minutes, then rinse and wash repetedly as this is the key to the success of Color Oops! I understand it may not work for ALL but it worked for me, hence this review :) My hair ended up a yellow/orange, i expected this as i've been bleaching my hair, it won't go back to it's natural colour. I decided that wasn't the greatest look on me and bought some very light ash blonde dye, much better. It didn't lift to a light ash blonde though, more of a mid/light golden blonde, then a couple days later and lots of conditioning, i put in highlights. Perfect.
Very satisfied with this product!! There is no trace of red colour left, it wasn't damaging to my hair, and it was simple to use. I recommend this to anyone who wants a colour change and wants to save money at the same time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 1:34:00 AM More reviews by sarahdevon

After dyeing my naturally cool dark blonde hair for years first dark brown and then bright red (25+ layers of dye), I used Color Oops hoping to at least strip enough red out to dye it a medium brown and get closer to my natural color. Amazingly enough, Color Oops removed almost all of it! My thick, wavy hair is now dark blonde with a bit of a strawberry tint and SO soft. I am beyond impressed and may not put any other color over it at all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2012 6:29:00 AM More reviews by MmmQuinn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been coloring my hair black and blue black for YEARS. I'm talking about 8 years of coloring my hair the darkest possible color every 3 weeks or so. I figured that it was time for a change so I bought color oops to do it at home without bleach. I left it on for about 15 minutes (box recommends 20) and then rinsed/shampooed as directed. My natural colored roots were untouched(unlike with bleach, where they would be white), the top part of my hair was a brassy orange color and the length of my hair was dark brown. It did a great job of pulling the black out of my hair. I then colored it with a medium brown, and while it pulled a little darker due to my hair being porous, I am still happy with the results. My hair is pretty dry already, so this didnt help at all, but I did a deep conditioning treatment afterwards and it feel really soft. It was a great and much MUCH easier way to go about it. Thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Kittens88

A couple of months ago I decided to colour my hair a really bright reddy-Auburn. I loved the colour but as we all know red is notorious for not staying vibrant for very long. Eventually it faded into a dark auburn. It was still a very nice colour for me, but I needed a change.

In previous years I had used L'Oreals Professional Secrets Haircolour Remover. It destroyed my hair. I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair, and it killed my ends and left my hair super dry. I knew that I had to strip my hair in order to go for another colour, but I did not want to go through the agony that L'Oreal caused me.

Enter Colour Oops.

I wanted to take my hair to a very bright red, but where my hair was at, it was going to need some work. I found Colour Oops at my local Thrifty Drugs. It was $10.25CDN a box, which to me isn't bad seeing as the L'Oreal one was $15.99CDN.

I did my research and saw very favourable reviews for Colour Oops. It had no bleach or amonnia so I figured how bad can it be?

Well let me start off my saying that yes...The smell is pretty nasty. At first I didn't notice it, but don't worry...it comes. be forewarned that it does linger in your hair for a couple of days.

The process was very simple. Just like mixing hair colour, you mix in a bottle of the remover into a developer type liqued. It is very runny and tends to get everywhere, so please use caution!

It did not take long to cover my hair. Like I said previously I have thick, coarse, long and wavy hair, so I needed two boxes.

I waited half and hour for this stuff to set in and then got ready to rinse. Now at first I was discouraged as I didn't see much lightning to my hair before I started rinising, but trust me, it starts as soon as the water hit your hair.

I rinised for 5min and then shampooed my hair. I then began the long task of sitting in the shower for 25 minutes. I rinised and rinised and rinised. I began to panic as my hair was starting to feel like garabge...

After all was said and done I got out of the shower and took a look at my new hair. I went from dark auburn, to a very light honey brown. I was quite surprised! I threw some deep conditioning treatment in and waited an hour or so and rinised again.

I decided to wait 24 hours before I put new colour on, but in those 24 hours my hair felt no different then before I had the colour removed. I think the deep conditioning treatment helped a lot.

I put my new colour on the next night and found it set perfectly. My hair still feels fabulous and healthy. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who wants a new haircolour but has some work to do before they can achieve it. I will continue to use Colour Oops and I will tell everyone about it! Just be sure to read the instructions throughly and have some deep conditioner on hand.

You will NOT be dissapointed!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by vivalaslights

Two years ago I colored my hair apple red and well, when I was in school I was told to remove it, and I spent about $300 in a salon to get it bleach and colored brown and just to fade to green. Flash to now, for my graduation I colored it bright red again but then I noticed I wouldn't be able to get a job with this color, lucky, I went to Wal-Mart first because I was planning to buy a color I wanted then go to Sally's for beach but I saw this and was like a 'what the heck I'll try it' mood. Red is a extremely hard color to remove, red and black. And I'm not kidding you it stripped everything and went to blonde, and since you can color right after your done, I just added a light brown but it was perfect, and to the people that say it didn't do any, you get to make sure you get the EXTRA strength, a mistake my sister did, she got the normal for her black hair and only her roots changed color. The only problem, obviously is the smell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by maekay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Yes, I would buy this product again but I hope I never have to, lol!

Okay, so to pinch pennies I've been dyeing at home since September of this year. Gradually I've worked up to just doing permanent dyes and I used to really like Feria. I tried the John Frieda foam dye per some friends' rec's and I do like how shiny and healthy my hair looks after but I miss the mini-highlights that Feria lifts. So I've bounced back and forth between the two for a while. Recently, I tried Lightest Cool Almond Brown by John Frieda because I really wasn't liking how drying Feria was becoming to my hair. My thinking behind a cool-toned brunette was: since I have more cool-toned pale coloring the cool-toned brunette would be flattering: um, that's a big NOPE. Most of my co-workers liked it but I felt like it looked "off". The color was rich and pretty, I just think I need a warmer color to balance out my cool-toned skin. A week after I dyed I couldn't wait anymore and decided to strip it out for the following week each day with my trusty Suave Clarifying shampoo. After a full week of daily use of clarifying shampoo followed by Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask to replenish moisture lost---I felt I had stripped out enough of the John Frieda color base for Feria to successfully eat through the rest of the way. So, the following Monday I bust out Feria in Havana Brown (which I had used before and loved the color result---medium brown with golden mini-highlights) What do I get?: Weird, dull auburn-brunette and lifeless texture. YUCK! Co-workers, "Did you dye your hair? It looks darker...no dull, kind of "off". I liked it before." Okay, I'm not going back to Cool Almond Brunette though...What's a girl to do?

Color Oops to the rescue! ---I have heard tales of this product's existence but never needed to use it until now--- After work last night I went straight to the 24hr CVS got a box and also picked up Light Golden Brown by John Frieda, because, let's face it: Feria is bad news for my hair now. Not to mention how drying the Color Oops will be then add a drying hair dye right after? No way!

Home! To the Bat Cave! I mean, the bathroom! Must repair color and health of hair! Step 1: Mix up Color Oops, douse hair. Oh my, does this product stink so chemical-awful! But I guess it's got a tough, ugly job to do so it can't smell too pretty, right? Step 2: Shampoo out and then rinse for an ETERNITY. 20 minutes doesn't seem so bad unless all you're doing is standing there with water pouring over your head at 1 in the morning. I brought my nook in a ziplock into the shower with me to pass the time reading and keep an eye on the clock. Step 3: Shampoo again, then rinse another 5 minutes. Finally, done---

Wow, my hair is light strawberry blonde/orange/sad brunette and PARCHED! But, Feria is no more. Victory! My poor hair! I coated it in Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask and left it in for a good 20 minutes. Then rinsed and then finally to bed! Longest shower of my life.

Woke up today and did another 20 minute+ session with the hair mask conditioner just to fortify it before dyeing today, which I did at 4:00pm. I have spent a solid 48hrs on my hair this week and it's only Wednesday. The color came out lovely but super dark. Color Oops warns you to buy a shade lighter than you would typically and honestly, I planned to anyway because the John Frieda dyes, albeit fabulous in shine and color payout, always start out so dark. But it came out a deep-caramel brunette with a little red still pulling through on the color overall. Whatever, though! It's SO much better than it was yesterday. What an ordeal! But thank you, Color Oops!

My advice: invest in a tub of conditioning hair mask---YOU WILL NEED IT. I am sitting here doing another round of it right now because my hair is still looking a little dry and traumatized on the ends. But at least it will be ever so much prettier tomorrow :) Happy Ending, ---roll credits---

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by smurfettesg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i followed the directions on this to a t, and it was very long waiting in the shower for this to rinse, i really dont think i would ever do it again, but it did remove some of my hair color, not all of it, i was going from dyed jet black to my natural light brown color, i ended up just free handing some highlights to blend, next time if i ever want to do this again i will prob just bleach

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by AshleyNicholeR

I was really scared of using this product, but now that I used it I am VERY pleased with the outcome, it was much better than I expected. I have a light ash blonde hair color and I put BRIGHT red in the very front. After trying to find a way to rid of the red without going to the salon and spending a lot of money I decided t take a chance on this product. My hair is now for the most part back to its blond I ended up with only two light pink streaks which I can easily rid of. I'm not even going to dye over it. My hair isn't damaged. The smell isn't that great, but I think it was well worth it. The 20 minutes of rinsing took FOREVER, but again well worth it. I'm very pleased with this product considering I thought I was going to have to bleach my hair, this was a great alternative!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by nanphil70

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing!I would recommend it to my friends.I went from an ugly dark red brown back to my real color- light golden blonde with a hint of red.I am very pleased.God doesn't make mistakes.It is best to keep within a shade or two of your natural color.I had colored my hair with a dark golden blonde which looked great on the box.Big mistake!!! it was way too dark and did not look natural.Ifollowed the directions for Color Oops to the letter.It was tedious rinsing for so long,but well worth the effort.The smell was not that bad to me.I do not need to recolor.I am happy with my results.