November 24, 2014 | 1835 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have repurchased this item and that's unusual for me. I'm surprised I tried it in the first place, considering that I didn't think much of the prep+prime regular primer without the SPF. This is thicker, more like lotion and it seems to sink in better like a sunscreen rather than a silicone type primer. It reminds me of a balm. The slippage is low and this is the best primer for a powder foundation in my opinion. I dislike the packaging because I think it will be difficult to get the last bits out and I really dislike the price because I think it's about $5-10 too expensive. For dry skin like mine, I recommend your usual morning moisturizer beforehand, otherwise it'll be too dry.

This makes all my makeup stick to my face in a tenacious way, especially my undereye concealor and that makes me recommend this highly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Greenidgurl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The first time I tried this I was pissed that I'd spent so much money on it. I didn't use any kind of moisturizer underneath and it dried my skin out like crazy, so I put it in the "dead makeup drawer" along with many other items. For some reason I tried it again, this time I'd put my moisturizer on beforehand (which is Lucy Minerals Ambrosia Oil). It was awesome! I totally love this stuff now and won't put on my makeup without it. For me it makes a big difference. When I get home from work I actually have alot of makeup to take off! Used to be that I'd come home and clean my face and barely have little makeup remnants leftover because it had all been worn/rubbed off during the day. Not anymore! I put this on and then my Double Wear foundation. Love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a very thick product - disconcertingly so, but then again, I suppose that's the primer aspect of the product. It feels and spreads thickly although easily, but once dried, it is matte to the touch and the initial slight white cast fades. I used my Laura Mercier mineral powder foundation over this and found that it didn't quite reduce the look of my pores near my nose although I'm not sure if that's an issue with the primer or the foundation. However, I can't rate this very much as a primer as I use this for facial sun protection.

I first used this during a 4 week Spanish-Italian summer holiday and it held up really well in the heat and humidity. I never got burnt and it didn't make my melasma worse. Although I perspired, the product never melted off my face so I could always be assured that it was still on and doing its job. I used this quite generously and went though almost two tubes. As a sunscreen, I felt this was quite effective and especially in the heat as it is sweat proof and supposedly waterproof, which isn't surprising since I believe it uses Japanese sunscreen technology. Accordingly, you really need to use an oil-based cleanser to wash this off. I didn't during my holiday and ended up getting lots of little blackheads and pimples despite the double/triple pass washing and exfoliating I did. This is a very effective sunscreen, although I still prefer my Japanese sunscreens which do a similar job on the protection and longevity front, but which are lighter. This is very mattifying which makes it good for those with combo/oily skins. I have dry skin and this is OK for summer use where I'm more willing to put up with any dryness to offset sticky and melting sunscreen, but I find it too drying in winter.

My biggest gripe with this product is the packaging which, due to the hard plastic casing and the shape of the tube, makes it very difficult to squeeze product out. Consequently, I find that I have to cut the tube while there is still quite a bit of product left in it as it's the only way to get anything out. I like this product, but not enough that I'd put up with this annoying packaging, particularly as there are better alternatives.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2012 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Aeon1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have decidedly sensitive combo skin and struggled to find both an SPF 30 or more sunscreen that didn't break me out, weigh on my face like a rock, or irritate me and one that allowed makeup to go over it nicely without making it too greasy-looking or oxidizing. So hard to fill that bill!

For example, Clinique City Sheer SPF 25 is close - it has so many silicones in it, it actually makes a great primer - but it also feels like a lead blanket on your face. And after 2 weeks of use, you'll have the blackheads to prove it.

Murad Mattifying SPF15 is also quite close, except it's as sticky as a jar of honey, smells like old Play-Doh, and will also create blackheads. Not to mention that SPF 15 is too low, really. The low SPF is also my objection to the Smashbox and Hourglass primers as well.

MUFE's UV Primer SPF50 is fantastic - not sticky, not thick, won't break you out, non-irritating, smells nice if you like roses - a lot - weightless (but of course 'cone-filled). . .but at the end of the day, you'll find yourself a tad oxidized. It holds out until the very end. . .and then gives in. Your foundie will have a dewy finish over the MUFE. It's also nearly US$40 an oz now and is getting harder and harder to find since Sephora doesn't carry it in stores anymore.

The MAC Prep n Prime at first seems similar to the MUFE product but without the strong rose scent. I don't worry about white cast they both have because, of course, foundie's going over it.

It takes less of the MAC than the MUFE to cover your face. I used 1 pea-sized squeeze, which was just a tad short, so I squeezed out another - which was too much! I put it on my chest. The MAC product is also instantly mattifying. Boom. The second it's on, it dries quickly, and then . . .you're matte.

Flat matte. Non-budge matte, I mean, still matte after walking around town all day at 80+ degrees. Your makeup will definitely not oxidize. I didn't need to blot even once. In fact, using my water-based Face and Body foundie, this primer may have sucked it a tad dry. I ended the walk spritzing my face to give back a little moisture. That's powerful matte!

And checking in the mirror, nothing had faded or moved. My makeup was definitely tightly on my face and in place. This primer clings so tightly to your face and is so very flat, ladies with certain lines might worry that they will show - very matte products are not always kind to ladies over 35. It does a nice job of softly blurring large pores, however.

This stuff is so tenacious I found it a bit hard to remove. You'll need makeup remover before your Clarisonic. The product didn't sting my eyes until I was removing it, which is nice - so often sunscreens move about and creep into your eyes, causing irritation. So more careful removal should prevent that from happening again.

The problems other reviewers have cited with the squeeze tube remain, which is a shame. That's why I deducted some stars.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by xine_07

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was hesitant to try this as high facial SPF usually cause me to break out terribly. The MAC SA assured me it could be returned so I chose to give it a try. I am certainly glad I did! The consistency of this primer is more like a lotion rather than a gel. It is white but disappears when applied with my fingers. It does not irritate, cause me to break out and keeps my foundation in place all day. I am very happy this is working for me.It can separate so be sure to shake it before using. The only negative is that I find the tube hard to squeeze, and sometimes get a little too much which is wasteful.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2012 2:31:00 AM More reviews by pammie0415

I've been using this product ever since it started to get warmer and the sun's been out more now. I wear it under my foundations and so far it's worked well with all my foundations (I wear different foundation depending on my mood). It didn't cause me to break out either so that's good. As a primer it does what any other primer does so I don't think it's super special in any sense but I like the SPF50 aspect of it. Though I think I might need to add an extra layer of sunscreen under it when summer really hits as I don't think such a thin layer of primer does much.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2012 9:52:00 AM More reviews by MsJ2u

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. It goes on smooth, goes into pores nicely too. However, it causes breakouts for acne-prone sensitive skin. The product is actually the best primer I've tried. It's just not for sensitive skin....if you are acne prone...DO NOT BUY.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I sauntered over to the MAC counter today to buy up some Seedy Pearl (FINALLY) and decided to find out what my foundation code was, since that seems to be what everyone uses to figure out what other foundation colours will work for them. The girl there was very nice and offered to doll me up for today. Great!

Before we tried a couple different shades, she brushed on a bit of this primer onto my face, which I had cleansed about 30 minutes previously but already had a bit of ominous sticky to it. It made my skin look quite nice and smoothed out some of the pore problems I have. After she put on the foundation, it seemed to be a home run, and I gratefully accepted the samples she popped into my bag despite having purchased Smashbox Photofinish Light at Sephora a few minutes earlier.

A few hours later, though, I'm mopping up the oil slicks on my face - which took two papers to shine-off. My makeup still looks great, but it definitely does not work on the mattifying line. Smashbox tomorrow it is, then.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by karinaFresh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite primer I've tried to date. It definitely feels & looks more like a moisturizer then an actual primer, it's white & blends into your skin, I can see this leaving a slight white cast if over-applied though due to the high SPF. Its consistency is that of a regular lotion not too thin or liquidy but not too thick or hard to spread. I don't notice any scent, no detectable SPF scent either. It's not heavy at all on, which was what I was initially concerned about. It's slightly moisturizing but not overly so. It doesn't feel greasy & has somewhat of a slight tackiness before it fully dries (I let it set for 2 minutes before I apply foundation). Foundation applies easily over top of it & blends without any streaking. If anything it makes my foundation look more like skin then most primers, it doesn't look at all cakey. With that said, it doesn't really fill in lines & pores like most silicone-based primers, it only does it to a certain extent. My makeup really wears a lot longer with this primer more then any primer I've tried yet, it also really controls my very oily skin without drying it out. I have somewhat sensitive skin & this hasn't broken me out or given me any adverse reactions. I've actually noticed some of my acne bumps are starting to disappear ever since I've switched to this from my previous primer. I bought this because everyone claims it makes makeup stick & controls oil very well & it's all true. I do wish there was more product because it is a very small bottle for $30 so hopefully I don't run out of it that fast.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 6:33:00 PM More reviews by marxmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is useless. Made my face oxidize and dried some area of my skin. Wasted my money. It cost 58sgd. I'm using rmk's creamy primer in 01 and gives my face a radiant glow and it doesnt oxidize..