December 22, 2014 | 1542 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by marmaladecat

I'd tried lots of chemical SPF face-creams and got breakouts each time, so I got this on my friend's recommendation.

City Block is a fragrance-free, all-physical SPF which is tinted beige, but when applied blends in brilliantly with my skin tone and really does even it out. It makes my skin look and feel smoother. I don't use primer, but it has the same effect. It stays on really well; when I remove it at night I can see how much has remained on my face. I've had no issues with clogged pores or breakouts from this product.

I haven't had any trouble with pilling like some; I've found that if I pat it into my skin rather than massage it in, it applies evenly and easily.

I use moisturiser under this as I find it is not moisturising enough on its own, but if you have oily skin perhaps this would suffice.

I'm on my third tube now and loving it. I've finally found sun protection which my skin likes-please don't discontinue this, Clinique!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 12:35:00 PM More reviews by SuzanneDee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
Doesn't make me break out, not even on my forehead, where I'm prone. Not even after long-term use (over 2 months)
Lighter texture than most sunscreens
Non-sticky/shiny/oily/gummy
Doesn't sting my eyes, irritate contact lenses
No fragrance
Concealer goes on smoothy under the eyes, powder sets without splotches
The tube is small enough to carry around and reapply
Lasts about three months of once-a-day use

Cons:
The tint is pretty light - imperfection coverage is zero
Leaves a metallic tin-man cast which completely disappears about two minutes after application
Is only SPF 25
Tube needs a good bit of shaking before use
Not the best face primer, but not bad
Is meant to come off only with make-up remover

Verdict:
The cons don't bother me too much - I don't need coverage, the SPF is fine and I'm pretty thorough about taking off my makeup with remover every evening. As an everyday sun protection, it's more than adequate. It's really for protecting yourself on the way to work and rushing to a restaurant at lunch, or spending the afternoon in the shade. No fuss, no oil, no mess.
I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by zoemiller

A really super product. I find this works perfectly well as a light tinted moisturiser/primer for me. Its just the right colour for that. Definitely does the job its intended for. Sometimes settles into pores though and it feels a bit thick on my face too. I don't wear it every day

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2011 9:34:00 PM More reviews by jcq

I am not hoping this product to be tinted.. it is more like tinted moisturizer with spf. the product's totally okay, it helps reducing my redness, easy to blend, and unscented. makes my oily skin a bit greasy sometimes, but in overall, like this!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:21:00 AM More reviews by bella1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received a small sample tube of Clinique City Block Sheer SPF25, and I used it a couple times with great disappointment. I really needed for this one to work, as I have had severe reactions to chemical sunscreen, and I hoped that Clinique's physical sunscreen would be a decent product. I liked the light tint, it was perfect for my light skin tone, I liked applying the product, I didn't have any issues. However, I was supershiny right away. I thought it would get better once the product got absorbed.... well, it doesn't get absorbed. It SITS on your skin like a sticky mask. As the day went on, my own skin oil and the product mixed together to create this goopy, almost like liquid play-dough compound on my face. While it did not cause me any allergic reactions, this product is unusable. I'm glad I did not purchase the full size.
NOTE: I did not wear anything else on my face while wearing the City Block, no moisturizers or makeup, becasue I wanted to see what the product alone would do.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Sunscreen (slightly tinted) with both zinc and titanium oxide - fragrance-free, oil-free, and somewhat moisturizing.

INGREDIENTS; Active: Titanium Dioxide 7.30% Zinc Oxide 6.90% Ingredients: Water/Aqua, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, steareth-2, stearyl heptanoate, aluminum stearate, silica, lecithin, gentiana lutea (Gentian) root extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, betula laba (birth) bark extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, laminaria saccharina extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, helianthus annus (sunflower) seedcake, sodium hyaluronate, sorbitan tristearate, linoleic acid, polyquarternium 51, caprylyl methicone, sorbitol, sodium RNA, phospholipids, PEG-40 stearate, magnesium aluminum silicate, caprylyl glycol, tocopheryl acetate, phytantriol, stearic acid, hydrogenated lecithin, cellulose, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, stearyl dimethicone, ascorbyl tocopheryl maleate, nordihydroguaiaretic acid, linolenic acid, pentethine, bisabolol, hydroxyethyl urea, ceteth-2, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, steareth-20, isopropyl titanium trisostearate, propylene glycol dicaprate, sodium stearate, nylon-12, citric acid, nylon-6, hexylene glycol, xanthan gum, disodium EDTA, BHT, phenoxyethanol, titanium, iron oxides.

HOW DOES IT PERFORM? - The tint might make this too dark for some but I find this is moisturizing enough to wear alone in summer weather and despite not being waterproof, this holds up well to light sweating and humid weather (would not work at the beach or during exercise)

The tint us slight enough to hide minor blemishes and redness and the ingredient profile makes this an appropriate products for those suffering from rosacea.

WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Yes although as a male I reserve use of this product for periods when I am especially red or have work presentations requiring me to cover blemishes.

PRICE: 21.50 CAD for 40ml

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 7:17:00 AM More reviews by sjg1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I think this is great sunblock - there are challenges -- patience when applying it & if your skin is dry a moisturizer underneath - which can lead to a bit more oil than is ideal. But to me the high physical/high UVA protection makes it worth it, and my combination skin rarely breaks out due to using this product (it actually looks better, maybe because of the antioxidants).

UPDATE: after a lot of recent breakouts on face, trying Neutrogena Ultra Sheer 'Dry Touch' to get a break from this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this about a month and a half. I don't like it very much because it clogs my pores terribly. It is also a funny color - it is tinted, and the tint makes my face darker and more yellow - an unnatural almost jaundiced color - and I have very yellow undertones, and it is even too yellow for me!
It also tends to make my face more oily.

It is a nice texture that blends in easily, and it has great ingredients that offer good daily protection from UVA and UVB. the zinc oxide & titanium dioxide are coated (super important to me) and are micronized, not nano (I wrote the company and asked). So the ingredients are A+ but it just didn't work out for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by ExpatBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

* My background - Previously, I used La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF 30 sunscreen but it was too drying on my skin and I needed something more hydrating.
* Pros - Unscented, light texture that goes on smoothly and is non-drying. Doesn't clog pores and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and eyes since I wear contact lenses.
* Cons - Sometimes whitish and gooey if you don't shake the tube before dispensing, need to blend well on application.
* Verdict - This is the sheerest sunscreen that is also hydrating and best part is that it doesn't dry out my skin at all. A keeper!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by valentynka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

PROS
pleasant texture
physical SPF
didnt dry me out or leave me oily
CONS
balls up, no matter how exfoliated my skin is, with/without moisturizer underneath

Wasnt too happy about rosemary extract [hasnt caused any immediate irritation - used only few times], tint is rather off my skin tone, but would do, however will not repurchase due to frustrating application&awful,uneven finish