April 19, 2014 | 1592 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2009 3:45:00 AM More reviews by mmmgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This provides excellent coverage, lasts all day, and doesn't break me out. My jar has lasted a year- you do get quite a bit of product for your money. I only wish they made more colors, and added other mineral products.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 12:42:00 AM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this!
I am NW20 and purchased this over the summer and ended up with ML40. For winter, I probably could use a lighter shade.
This comes in a sifter container with 15 grams (1/2 oz) which lasts for a long time. I've hardly used any of it and I've had it since summer. You can use this by itself or over another foundation for a finishing touch. This is not as shimmery as BE and not as matte as Jane Iredale. From what I understand, it has no bismuth.
It is reasonably priced and I will be purchasing it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 1:30:00 PM More reviews by tarapickholtz

Love! I just purchased this yeseterday, and so far I am impressed. I was a bit nervous to try this one out because I worried that it would be too shimmery on my combination skin. On me, it actually isn't shimmery at all. The "luminous" finish is very natural looking and not overly shiny one bit. I can see the tiny sparkles when looking at the powder in the container, but it wasn't as much as I expected. Anyway, I used other mineral brushes I already had and they work well with the powder. It offers good coverage, doesn't seem to be drying, etc. I am just needing to make sure I have the perfect color. I noticed that I got a "cool" color (ML40), but I tend to stay away from cooler colors so I don't look too pink. ML40 doesn't seem to look pinkish at all, and seems more neutral to me. I'll definitely be checking it out more to make sure, but I love the makeup itself. It's $25, but the container IS quite large. You get a lot of product for $25. Typically, I am able to use smaller containers for around 6 months, so this will give me even more time! The container does get a little messy, but this is with all loose powders and it isn't that bad. I would still repurchase for sure. Give it a try!

EDIT: I have been using this for a couple of months now and it's definitely HG! I absolutely love and it will be repurchasing. I still have so much left that it looks like the container is nearly brand new. I've had compliments lately that my skin has been looking more "glowy" and healthy. I've had less breakouts too! I touch up my powder only once a day in the afternoon and it stays on great. I hope they never discontinue this one! When I need more coverage, I apply a light foundation underneath, then I apply this powder foundation on top. Luckily it never looks too heavy!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The 2nd lightest color was a decent match, not too pink but a tad dark. I buffed it on with my Trish McEvoy powder brush and ewww!! I was so shimmery not to mention that my pores and fine lines were very accentuated. The only good thing is that it didn't make me itchy. Much prefer Clinique's Almost Makeup Powder foundation for powder foundations or my new HG Estee Lauder Double Wear light.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by animalsrbetterthanpeople

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, at the age of 57, and after having had this sitting in my mu drawer for a couple of years, I decided that I'm sick of the goopy liquid foundations. Decided to go back to this, and so far, so good. It truly covers more evenly and gives a more polished look than even long-wearing foundations like Almay TLC, Revlon Colorstay, etc.
I find that if I use just a tiny bit of Clinique's Pore minimizer on either side of my nose and on my nose, this does not accentuate my pores and looks much better than BE foundation, which I have also used in the past .
The quality of this product is superior compared to other mineral makeups I've tried, and I like the fact that it doesn't look "powdery", yet still gives light, even, believable coverage that looks like my skin only better. I use the L20, which, I believe is the lightest shade, and it's a good match. I think I'm going to stick with this and ditch the liquid foundations from now on. Will update as necessary. Oh, one more thing.....I do not use this under my eyes....I bring it up to the undereye area, and in that area, I use Maybelline Superstay Concealer in "Cream", which is a perfect match for this foundation. You get a good deal of product for your money, and I'm sure that this will last me a long, long time, with as little as you need to use. The only thing I don't like is the "messiness" of the product, but it's a tradeoff....I don't like the "feel" of liquid foundation on my face, either.
UPDATE: Now please don't take this as conceit, but this makeup must be doing its job. Today at the grocery store, a lady thought I was 40 years old (she made my day) and I'm 57. I didn't ask her how old she thought I was, she struck up a conversation with my mother and me, and she could tell we're mother and daughter....she said to Mom, "this must be your youngest daughter," and Mother said, "she's not so young...she's 57, and that's when the woman made the comment about thinking I was 40. Maybe she had cataracts, but I prefer to think it's the Merle Norman mineral makeup :) Whatever...she made my day and I think my skin looked much better than it's looked in a LONG time while I was wearing liquid makeup. I apply this foundation with the Too Faced retractable (pink case) teddy bear brush. I'm sold....no more liquid from now on. Give it a try...great price, few ingredients, lasts all day (and I don't use primer, only sunscreen underneath),... you can always return it if you're not satisfied, but I think you'd be hardpressed (no pun intended, since it's loose powder :) to find a better and more natural foundation. Just don't use it in the undereye area....use concealer only there, for a more natural look. Good luck

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2009 10:55:00 PM More reviews by mbwest

Finally after years of MMU usage and many attempts at finding an HG I believe I have with this product. I would never have considered Merle Norman, but after the great reviews I had to give it a try. I have tried all mainstream brands of MMU and nearly all online brands and this is hands down the best. It provides nice buildable coverage, does not break me out (and trust me that is saying something), and stays put all day. I will say it is slightly shiner than I would like, but I just dust a light finishing powder over my T-zone and the look is flawless. Definitely try it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2009 1:13:00 PM More reviews by brittbrat118820

I'm on the fence with this product. I have pretty horrible skin at the moment so I think my only option for coverage is a liquid. I think this looks great as a finishing powder over my liquid and might be better for someone who doesn't need as much coverage. It also is kinda shimmery, which I like because it makes my face look not so masky like it does with just liquid alone.
Pros:
Very natural light finish. I like that it has ingredients that won't irritate my skin. The color I got has a yellowish tone so it camoflouges redness that I have and doesn't turn orange like most liquids do.

Cons:
Doesn't cover enough by its self. I am on accutane and my skin is somewhat dry so this accentuates any dryness. Doesn't last all day like my liquid does.
Overall this wasn't too expensive for the amoung of product you get. The packaging is good too. I will update on this when my skin is better to see if this is good enough to be worn alone.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2009 11:07:00 AM More reviews by FallSoShort

Wow...it's love. Does everything mineral makeup should do, only it does it better than any mineral makeup I've ever tried before. And for $26, you get an amazingly large amount of product!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by makeup4ever07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this makeup. At first the sales associate sold me a shade a bit too dark for me, so I went it and got a shade lighter, which is the lightest shade they have available. It's a tad pink for me, but it's not super obvious when applied. I used to use merle norman liquid makeup with Luxiva ultra powder foundation on a daily basis, but now I just use MAC concealor on certain spots on my face with this, and have a flawless finish!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2009 10:00:00 AM More reviews by jules0305

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently switched from BE to this, and I couldn't be happier with the result. I never had the itchy problem from Bismuth, but I wanted something that would give me more of an airbrushed look. I read the reviews for MN on here and I decided to give it a try. Though it is about $5 more expensive than BE, you get twice the amount of product! Also, it has a fine sparkly glow to it - but NOT glitter. You have to see it to know what I mean. Anyway, it goes on super smooth and really sinks into my skin, unlike BE (which I thought just sat on top). And, most importantly, no break-outs whatsoever. It still doesn't stop my oilies, but I've realized that no make-up will do that!