MAC Fleshpot

3.8

on 10/5/2008 11:17:00 PM

I am NW15 though my skin tends to be neutral. This color is a permanent pro color, and was repromoted with the March 2008 Heatherette collection (I have the Heatherette version). The color description is a light neutral beige. It is a satin finish. If you are even the slightest bit darker than NW15, and you do not want to look like a corpse, this lipstick is not for you. While I do love this color, I do have a bit of trouble making it work for me. I cannot apply it straight out of the tube - I have to smudge it in with my fingers, and I usually have to apply the accompanying lip gloss Bonus Beat, to give it a little more color. However, I do find it to be a true nude lip for me, so it's worth the work. But like I said, I would not recommend this to someone with a darker skintone. The Heatherette packaging is gorgeous, so no complaints there. MAC lipsticks are $14, and I would repurchase.

on 6/16/2008 9:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

if you're trying to choose between fleshpot and myth, go with myth. fleshpot has this strange pink to it which looks almost scary in natural light. myth is more of a nude beige. it's lighter but still gives even pigmented lips that perfect color. Yes, it is very pigmented and may be alright on cooler skintones but fleshpot looked too strange and unnatural against my skin's yellow undertones.

on 5/28/2008 5:35:00 PM

God help me! I'm an NC42, and even the MA was like "this color looks awful on you." I am a no-fuss makeup wearer. I do not wear gloss over lipsticks. I line, and thats it. Fleshpot is not an easy lipstick to wear. It requires time and finesse. I don't have that. Also, it was too far of a stretch with my coloring. May work for others...

on 5/24/2008 2:43:00 PM

I love this l/s so much, ever since i got it i have used it everyday...i have been lookin for something close to myth but with this packaging i feel hard in love this this..I usually apply bonus beat lightly on top of this l/s just to give it that shiny gloss look..my hubby loves this l/s too =) would love to get backup for this =)

on 4/23/2008 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Hmm...I'm so not sure about this lipstick. I'm not much for applying lipstick then gloss, too picky for me. This is what most of the reviewers here suggest. I'm very warm and light skinned with dark hair and green eyes, I like warmth in my lipsticks and this shade is pretty neutral. Not grey/purple like Honeylove (no honey in Honeylove, see my review ;) - pretty much like MAC describes it - beige. But there is still just not enough warmth for me. I will try Myth next. I'm not quite ready to give up on Fleshpot yet though. May try some glosses overtop I just don't have any. Or rather, the ones I have are crappy weakly pigmented drugstore glosses.

I really like the formula, it goes on very smoothly, especially for a non shimmer matte and light shade as this one. Highly pigmented as well so I would recommend this to someone who wants a truly neutral matte nude lipstick - MAC does lipstick so well which is why I've rate it high even though it may not work for me personally. continued >>

on 4/20/2008 4:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My HG lipstick. I can see why some would hate it. Well, not really, because in my opinion, you should never wear this without a slightly to heavily pigmented gloss on top of it. I wear this almost every day with Chanel's Galactic Glossimer, and there hasn't been one day at my work (hair salon) that I haven't gotten a compliment on my lips. Very pretty pale pink. I use this with MAC lipliner in Subculture.

I'm in love.

on 4/16/2008 6:53:00 PM

I have to say, I absolutely adore this lipstick! It is one that is a little scary (at least on me!!) by itself, but you can layer just about anything over it for a gorgeous color. Pretty much any gloss or even lipstick you layer over it will automatically turn into a muted version of its previous self. Ive used Fleshpot to start getting rid of my "what was I thinking" colors. Bright berry glosses, etc. Mixed with Fleshpot, they turn into amazing nude-ish colors, tinted with whatever color they were originally. For example, I love mixing this with MAC Cultured liplass to make a nude pinky/mauve color. Or I like to mix it with MAC Sandy B. (which looks awful and wears awful on me) and it turns it into a nude peach. So pretty! Or NARS Orgasm gloss. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great nude lipstick that is creamy and layerable. Or someone looking for a lippie to tone down some crazy gloss they bought on a whim. Dont we all have a few of those at the bottom of our makeup drawers?

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Fleshpot is not exactly a foolproof, easy lipstick. When I first put it on i was like "OMG why did I buy this?!" I was determined to make it work. I only layered it a little and then put a rose colored sheer gloss on top (Estee Lauder vinyl gloss in vinyl chic). I think this needs another color to help you look like you are alive, not dead. Fleshpot is worth a try but you have to find the right way to wear it for you.

EDIT: I guess I found the right way because now Fleshpot is one of my most used glosses. I find using Blistex or another chapstick before helps fleshpot sheer out and go on more smooth. I love Fleshpot with Bare Necessity Dazzleglass or any light pink or peach lipgloss.

on 4/1/2008 11:51:00 PM

Love this lipstick! Obviously, the packaging is adorable, but the product inside is just as amazing! I usually like bright pink lipgloss on me. I love the recent Barbie, Fafi, and Heatherette bright glosses, but I've been wanting to try a nude lip. First of all, I think all of the varying opinions on this and all nude lippies in general are based on skintone. I saw Carrie Underwood on some awards show and fell in love with her lip look. I thought it was THE perfect nude lip! I had to find out what it was. So, thanks to MUA, I found out she had on Nars Honolulu Honey and Nars Orgasm l/g. I immediately rushed out and bought both. Um, looked COMPLETELY different on Carrie than on me. One woman's nude is another woman's orangey peach! Both of thes are great colors, just not nudes on me. I'm nc20/25-ish and Fleshpot is a great nude on me. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to my lips, but I lined first with stripdown, then used fleshpot, then topped with bonus beat l/g from Heatherette. It looked sooo good! and it lasted through an afternoon of shopping without having to re-apply! IMO, when looking for a nude lip, you really have to find something that works for your skintone. Fleshpot is a good neutral nude, not too pink or too yellow, and not as "white" as myth. I probably would buy this if I ever ran out, definately my favorite nude so far.

on 4/1/2008 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

In the tube, gross concealor lipstick. On your lips with a liner (I love it with Whirl), pretty. Topped with a heatherette lipglass like Sock hop or Starlet kiss? Gorgeous!!!! I don't think that I "fell" for this lipstick until I wore it with sock hop on top. It's a great nude shade to have....a true creamy full coverage nude with no overly brown, peach or pink tones. If you love nude lipsticks, you should own Fleshpot. (NC40)
Editing: After wearing this lipstick more and more, I've decided that I love it! Since it's almost sold out everywhere in the Heatherette packaging, it's also available from Mac pro (it's a regular line pro lipstick). It's so gorgeous, I can't get over it! It's really pretty with glossy shades on top and you can use it to make any lipstick/gloss look more creamy/milky. I think it's my favorite nude lipstick. continued >>

Recommended for Medium Skin