Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 1/20/2011 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product was awful. I have a very nice Chanel foundation that usually goes on like silk. I applied this right before my foundation, after my moisturizer and made sure to wait the two minutes. My skin seemed ok, slightly matte, which I like. When i tried to put my foundation on it caked and was streaky and impossible to blend. Throughout the day my skin had white-ish patches on it where the product had clumped together. I will not be using it again.

on 1/3/2011 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i think this primer is better for mineral makeup only because when i used with liquid it does however fill in lines and wrinkles but i think its more matte and it made me look like a powdery effect. It didn't look right on me. I am going to try it with mineral makeup. I am going to stick with my dewy finish not matte...

I will keep you updated..
Anyone had this problem??

on 12/23/2010 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

Please note that this product contains lavender oil, which, based on the research done by Paula Begoun, The Cosmetics Cop (and I checked up on it myself) can contribute to skin cell death. There is no reason to have lavender oil in a product like this other than for aromatherapy/scenting purposes, and it's unnecessary even for that, as other types of scents that are not harmful in any way to skin could be used. I find that a lot of Philosophy's products contain contradictory ingredients for what the product *claims* to do. Check out Paula Begoun's Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, a very good resource if you don't want to waste money on skin care or makeup. Once I read in that book that The Present contains lavender oil and could be slowly ruining my skin, I figured there are MUCH better primers out there that don't contain unnecessary and damaging ingredients and are half the price of the $22 for this product.

on 12/9/2010 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I use this everyday after applying moisturizer and before concealer and foundation. Since I started using The Present, I've found that my makeup stays on longer and I have to do fewer touch ups throughout the day. It's also pretty moisturizing. I don't think it makes my pores that less visible, though.

on 12/8/2010 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I absolutely love this product. I use it as a primer under makeup, or alone with spf 30 sunscreen, and it is magic! It does exactly what it advertises -- evens my texture and skin tone and diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. And it does all this VERY noticeably. It even helps my under eye area to appear brighter! Also, after using this and letting it set (you HAVE to let it set for 2 minutes), I need hardly any foundation (I use BE Mineral Foundation) and very little concealer on only any blemishes I may have and my undereye circles. Although I wish it came in a pump (the tube can get a little messy), the tube has lasted me somewhere around 8-9 months as I use it over a few spritz's of rosewater which allow it to spread better... I'm on my third tube in 2 years, so I feel that I've definitely gotten my money's worth. I've tried Bare Escentuals' Prime Time and Smashbox's primers, and these can't even begin to compare to The Present. I don't think I'll ever stop using.

on 11/11/2010 9:23:00 PM

I loooove this stuff. My skin is stupidly dry, flaky dry but when I put this on after my moisturizer, it kind of seals in the moisture and smooths out any dry areas. It makes my skin feel really soft and smooth and keeps my Bare Minerals foundation lasting all day without any shine. And by all day I mean 16-18 hours (yes I have really long days). I have quite large pores on and around my nose and this makes them invisible as well.

I know I shouldn't, but I even exercise in this stuff. I generally work out right after work and I don't bother removing my makeup. Sweating with this stuff doesn't create clogged pores or breakouts dry, sensitive skin. Primers generally make me breakout because they're essentially blocking the pores. This is the first primer I've tried that hasn't and I love it.

I don't know what smell people are complaining about, to me it smells like lavender and there's no scent once it dries. Letting it sit for 2 minutes before makeup isn't a big deal either, I just do my eye makeup first like I normally would anyways. I really can't say enough good things about The Present, dare I say it's even making my skin better? The overall tone has evened out and there are fewer and fewer dry patches. I even wear it with just concealer on days when I'm running late and there's no time for anything else and it makes my skin look flawless.

HG primer!

on 11/11/2010 4:30:00 PM

This is a nice primer. I would say it really does cover up those wrinkles and lines on my face. A little goes a long way. I use this sparingly, it is really thick and like it says, let it sit for a bit before applying any make-up! This gives a flawless effect when you put your foundation on. I got this in a set, and I definitely like this better than the Smashbox PhotoFinish Primer! 2oz will probably last me a long while too! But I have to admit, it doesn't smell too nice :( So price wise & smell wise, I took off 2 lippies!

on 11/7/2010 12:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This worked decently at making skin look matte (not a huge problem for me anyway, I have dry skin), even, and smooth. It did not do anything for me to prolong foundation wear. It also smelled a bit fishy. Literally. I returned it.

on 10/28/2010 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I'm currenlty using this as a primer. It makes my skin looker super smooth and matte! It even looks great with out any foundation.. especially on days when I go to work with little make up... just a tab of blush and my skin looks healthy! The 2oz tube for $25 sold me on this product too! I don't mind that it take 2 minutes for the primer to set, because I put it on toward the end while I am blowing drying my hair.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i'm still not exactly sure what this is supposed to do, but the general consensus says that it's a primer.
i use it on the days that i go to school because i wear no makeup at all. i put it on and my skin feels super smooth and stays matte for hours (4+). i love it because it doubles up as a moisturizer, too. it's a pretty thick cream so using it instead of a moisturizer for my very oily skin is enough. i put on my acne cream, the present, and i'm out the door.
it doesn't ball up, and blends in well.
under makeup, however, doesn't keep me as matte for some reason. i use powder foundation, and i still have to blot.
the only complaint is the smell - it doesn't have a particularly good smell, but you can't smell anything once it has set into the skin.
the price is also fantastic. $25 for 2 ounces instead of the usual 1 ounce.
i don't know if i'll buy this again because the time that i want to be matte is when i have makeup on. and it doesn't do that. so i don't know if i would pay another $25 for it. i would rather find a primer that keeps me matte regardless.

Popular Primer/ Correctors