MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

4.3

on 11/15/2010 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

People need to know how to use this product before saying its useless!! I recently figured out how to make the most of this product! I no longer wear foundation because I'm a guy, and the moment I heard "your make up looks smooth" in a sarcastic way...I was done! I only wearing face make up (not including blush, bronzer, etc.) I do not wear anything for the eyes because I don't believe guys should be wearing stuff like that, but moving onto my review. I recently bought bare minerals matte foundation and I could not figure out what brush to apply it with!! Yesterday I saw my Mac 188...clean since I hadn't used it in over a week, and I swirled the brush on my powders lid. I began buffing it on in fast little circles, and I was shocked at how well it covered! It gave me an airbrush look and my parents commented on my complexion, and they thought I had stopped wearing make up all together LoL. Its a small brush with soft fibers at the tip, so it picks up heavy products, but makes them light and silky! Anyone out there should try using this brush with bareMinerals! <3

on 11/7/2010 4:44:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I've had this over a month and couldn't really find a use for it that makes it indispensable. I used it mostly for my brighter cream blushes because the duo fibres apply the products really softly. Recently, I discovered that its fantastic for contouring my cheekbones and I have been using this daily since! I'm pretty pale (~NC20-25) and the soft bristles apply my bronzers in a way that isn't too much. I have never been able to find a brush that makes bronzers work well for my pale skin. Previously I was using the 109 brush for this purpose, but I very much prefer that for my blushes since its great at blending. This brush is easy to wash, keeps its shape, and doesn't shed. MAC brushes are pricey but I don't mind paying more for brushes as the quality ones last for years. The white bristles will stain gradually, though. Overall a lovely product and it has become one of the staples in my collection.
Edit: I now use this for foundation application and it works extremely well for that. A truly multi-purpose brush!

on 10/23/2010 3:14:00 PM

I've had this brush for over a year..and it still sheds!!! UGH. I thought it would go away, but apparently not. It's expensive..but I like how it puts my foundation on...but i hate the shedding...

on 10/22/2010 5:04:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

i bought this as a blush brush! love it!
ive also used it for concealer! works amazingly well.

on 10/10/2010 11:23:00 AM

I really had high hopes for this brush considering the glowing reviews. I was looking for something to apply my liquid foundation. This works, but it takes FOREVER and you have to be oh so careful while doing it or it will streak. I'm a working mom who gets up at 4:30am to get ready for work, and I don't have that kind of time. It's just too small and I prefer a larger brush for application. That being said, even though it didn't work for foundation, I can't find another use for it either...not blush, highlighter, eyeshadow...so this brush really serves no purpose for me.

on 10/5/2010 9:55:00 AM

My stippling skills suck so I have given up using this for foundation application, but I was able to find a purpose for this brush. It makes the ideal and perfect contouring brush! Easily applies contouring powder (I use MAC's Harmony) and buffs/blends it for a natural and flawless look. This is a well built brush that washes easily and always maintains it shape.

on 10/3/2010 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I bought this to go with my Studio Sculpt foundation, as my regular brush didn't work, and I didn't want to splurge on 187 in case I didn't like duo fibre. But I really do! It gives such a natural but airbrushed finish to my make up. I ended up bying the 187 anyway as this is too small to apply foundation with. I use this for my extreamly pigmented blusher from Make Up Store instead, but i think it is too small even for that. I guess I'll start using it with cream blushers. Anyway, this is a really good brush! However not essential, and I will not repurchase.

on 10/2/2010 1:00:00 AM

The MAC sales lady did a demo on me using the 187 brush at first. Then she switched to this 188. I was so convinced to buy the 187 thinking that it would be less work for me having a larger stippling brush but she explained to me why she personally prefers the 188. It was because it gives focus on small details more and because it's smaller, it concentrates on every part of your face. I didn't regret listening to her though. And to think that MAC could've made more money if I bought the 187. Hehe! Up 'till now, I'm still using this everyday for applying base and foundation. The last time I went to a MAC store, they used it to blend my blush so I guess I'll be buying another one, soon.

on 9/21/2010 8:56:00 AM

I love this product. I use the large brush for applying liquid foundation. It helps the product to go on smoothly, and without any lines. The construction of the large brush is great. It's easy to hold, easy to use, and the bristles do not fall out. I wish it was a little less expensive, but all in all, A GREAT PRODUCT!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

i am in love with this product because it applies my liquid foundation flawlessly! i really like the concept..now i didnt like this brush at all at first because it just looked cakey but after some practice with it i was able to get the hang of it. now i feel my foundation looks cakey with this brush when i use a sponge to apply my powder at my foundation but when i use my makeup forever hd loose powder and the kabuki that goes with it my foundation looks FLAWLESS!

Video Reviews & Tutorials