Ulta Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 7/8/2012 6:26:00 AM

The promo codes are mediocre and some don't work on entire brands (ie: Philosophy). At Sephora, the restrictions, if applicable (which is rare), are clearly visible. A Sephora, you're rewarded for being a valued customer with free, larger or full-size products and a birthday gift.The deals, information, and perks are better at Sephora, and, come to find out, so is the quality of staff. An Ulta staff member, rather than letting me know they'd look into it like any other respectful staff member at any other business where you give someone your money and come to expect to be treated at least cordially, argued with me like a child in front of my best friend (who is male) yesterday afternoon when I inquired about a link to a code in e-mail for the $10 off $60 promo that led to a site error (an open, blank page). Her attitude was condescending and combative... it was like a waitress or waiter saying something to the effect of, "get it yourself, stupid." That's how I felt standing there being aggressively belittled by someone whose job it is to help others. Instead of doing her job, she spoke down to me as though she had much better things to do. I'm even-keeled and friendly; I genuinely love meeting new people and really enjoy helping others, so to have someone, let alone someone who is in a service position (meaning there to help us) respond to that and to a simple question with, initally, dismissiveness, then loud confrontation... well, let's just say I was embarrassed in front of someone I love; he was shaking his head as we left and said he couldn't believe we bothered to stop at Ulta, so it was a first and a last time for him. I've never had any experiences remotely similar at Sephora; they've always been nothing but professional and friendly. I had to call the Ulta store manager after we'd left the store because it was so upsetting for the both of us to have been treated with such blatant disrespect; it bothered me that someone so clearly disgruntled by people was taking her bad day out on customers. I'm being kind in saying it was a bad day. I let the store manager know that I've had customer service experience in the past and would never have treated anyone with the kind of rudeness I experienced yesterday. The funny thing is I spend a lot of money where I'm treated well and I like to take advantage of sales and promos because I consider myself a smart consumer and feel that I've earned them. My best friend is the same way; he is a loyal customer and spends a lot if money where he is treated well. We're treated well at Sephora, and the staff and selection are remarkably better, so we won't be returning to Ulta.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I feel like my Ulta store has very friendly employees. They don't bother me at all when I shop and they give me coupons on even high-end products in the store.

I really enjoy Ulta! What I really like is they have products and brands to fit everyone's budget. They have higher end stuff as well as less expensive stuff. The store was stocked relatively well, and it was clean. Overall, love the store and will definitely be going back again! :)

on 5/8/2012 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I go to Ulta only when I want a specific item and have coupons. In and out. It's nothing to write home about. I hate the re-do of the store. I prefer to search for things by brand, not type. SA are ok. I rarely deal with them. Depends on when you go. I have met a few who were very nice. Other times, didn't know what the heck I was looking for.

on 5/8/2012 7:42:00 AM

I, too, am an Ulta Fan and have only good things to say about their stores. I live in Illinois and their staff is always friendly and helpful, the store clean, the shelves well stocked. I frequent several Ulta Stores in my area and they get an A across the board.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

wow, lol, so many negative comment about Ulta. Well mine is acutally postive. I live in the midwest, Illinois to be exact in a middle class burb about 40 minutes outside the city of Chicago, a very populated area, and I have to say the staff at my Ulta are so nice. They always greet me the store is alway is clean and it's actually the opposte of a lot of loactions they are always expanding with the lines they carry, the testers are always clean and they even carry the eye platte's from IMAN cosmetics which is a tried and true line for me. I don't usually ask for help, because I know either I like something or I don't. They carry NYX essence all the smaller brands, Lancome, perfumes, full range of hair products and skin care. They usually leave me alone unless I ask about something. I usually am prone to just asking an opnion, I have returned several products over the year and they have never given me a hard time! So sorry about the reviews I wonder if it's a geographic thing? They say people in the midwest are friendlier. Who knows.

on 5/7/2012 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

WOW...Not surprised at all at the wrath. The Lake Grove store has to be the absolute worst on Long Island. Managers are rude, ignorant, and basically lack interpersonal skills. I now know why everyone prefers Sephora. The sales associates and managers at Lake Grove make up the rules as they go. Store policies seem to change on a whim, though they are clearly explicated on plaques on their counters. Someone needs to give that store a lesson in how you treat and talk to customers. Beauty supply stores are a dime a dozen ULTA folks. Wake up and start training your staff. Your staff at Lake Grove is awful and an embarrassment to your company.

on 5/6/2012 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I worked at ULTA and here are the reasons for the issues. The reason why they ask for info on cash returns is for loss prevention. Regular $3.50 and ad coupons will be restricted from prestige items the same way most stores do so. Macy's, Dillards, Sephora, etc.For being a rewards member you receive 6 20% off post card coupons with no exclusions. Return policy is great because you can exchange/return with a receipt with 60days if not satisfied. For every $50 u spend in a 4 month time period you move up a reward level for free items or your choice in a list. What other store will give you a FREE fragrance up to $40? Sephora is also not as busy, maybe that's the reason people feel they give better customer service.

on 4/4/2012 3:18:00 PM

The biggest problem I have with Ulta are the sanitary conditions. It seems like almost every product that does not have a seal on it has been opened and tested. I will not buy any products from Ulta that do not have a seal. I find this especially true with the NYX products. Many of these products do not contain seals and have been sampled. What I usually do is go to the store to see the products in person and then go home and order from the website. That way I know the products I'm receiving will be new and untouched. Who wants to use a lipstick or an eyeshadow that other people have put their fingers in.

on 3/30/2012 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like the Ulta that I go to. It's about an hour and a half drive from where I live. They have some products that Sephora doesn't have, but I would choose Sephora over Ulta any day IMO. I like that Ulta has drugstore brands also so you can shop for those items while looking at some HE. Also like when they have sales going on especially online. I would shop here again but only for items that Sephora doesn't have.

Popular Other Products