BeneFit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous

3.1

on 7/24/2012 12:40:00 PM

I am not really a huge fan of this product ! I have a few friends who swear by it and find that it is the perfect foundation ! I beg to differ. I found it made my oily parts ridiculously oily and made the bits of dry skin I have really stand out. This product hade my skin break out slightly so I discontinued use of it and it now takes place at the back of my foundation drawer. I don't like that they only carry 3 shades, I got medium as it was purchased in the summer and I had a bit of colour to my skin. I don't think I would reccomend this product to anyone, unless they already had perfect/flawless skin !

on 7/12/2012 3:54:00 AM

I registered just to review this product as I am very disappointed. I paid 34 euro for this and two weeks later it's almost gone and I haven't used it every day. It is too light you would need to have perfect skin already for it to work. I have tried using it as per some tip I've read in other reviews such as layering it and I still think it's rubbish.

The colour is very light (I bought thelightest shade as I am quite pale) and I had to use it with another foundation to make it work and look halfway decent. Would not buy it again

on 7/5/2012 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

i got a sample size of this in a benefit set and im glad i didnt buy the full size. i wasnt even interested in the product but since it came in a kit i decided to try just because. its supposbly a cream to powder foundation so i thought thered be at least some coverage... nope. no coverage at all. it has a weird texture and i hated how it felt on my fingers and face. i believe theres only three shades. the packaging is super cute though.

on 7/5/2012 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this after being convinced in a department store that it was some kind of miracle! The beautician applied it to my face after commenting how terrible my skin looked. ::how rude:: In the store lighting it didn't look bad on my face and I thought it blended well. Big mistake. I went home and redid my makeup. It looked fine at first but after going outside and looking in my rearview mirror I realized what a dreadful mistake I made. It caked into my pores and made my skin really greasy. the color looked miserable on my skin. It sits in lines and gets more oily hour by hour. I used oil blotters the entire night trying to keep my grease at bay.

on 6/27/2012 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Patchy, sits in pores, oily, no coverage, waste of money especially with the tiny amount you get.
It oxidises and gives a horrid dapple effect on my skin after an hour.
Wouldn't recommend it repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i really love benefit products, and this is my go-to foundation during cooler months (which is most of the year in chicago). the color works well with my medium-ish complexion and has never made me break out, but it does leave me a bit shiny when the temperature rises and i get more oily. i wear it with benefit's that gal(!) primer and a bit of sugarbomb blush, which gives me a healthy glow when the winter is dragging me down. i apply with a makeup sponge and never use the sponge included with the compact (i was never able to get a smooth finish with the included sponge. plus.... dragging the same sponge across my face 100 times sounds as gross as it is). totally recommended.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is the most natural foundation on me. Fortunately it is a perfect color match for my skin. It give me a natural even matte look. I love it but it runs out so quickly and it is so expensive. It starts off cream then sets matte/powdery; medium shade is great for my oily NC25/30 skin. I always have a backup.

on 6/8/2012 2:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Oh, wow did I hate this product! First, I have this issue with Benefit's "One shade fits all mentality" on their skin toned products. I am fair and this was not only way too dark (although the consultant swore it would work for me), it was also way too yellow/orange for my more neutral skin tone. You also have to pack this on to get any coverage even sheer/light and they don't give you much more than a "delux sample" amount of product for the price. All in all? Way too expensive for the result. Won't buy again and don't recommend.

on 6/5/2012 3:54:00 PM

I bought this product after a friend tried it out and raved about it to me. Always looking for the holy grail of foundations and ideally something in a compact that I can put on when I'm on the move or touch up at work, so this seemed perfect.

The packaging is very cute retro sixties style record with a handy little mirror and it comes with a sponge to apply. The first thing I noticed when I opened up the compact is that what seems like a chunky compact from the outside that would look to hold a decent amount of product is actually mostly the tray to hold the sponge, and the part that holds the product is only about 4mm deep so you don't get very much product at all. Not good for around £23.

When I put the product on with the sponge it felt like the sponge kind of sucked a lot of it up and that not much went onto my face. I'm quite fair and found that the shade was a bit orangey and would leave me with orangey patches unless i put a lot of the product on. Once on it did look nice (velvety matte kind of finish) but I found that it just didn't last. I have the type of skin that foundation doesn't stay on very easily but found that after a couple of hours I'd need to re-apply- even for me it wore off very quickly. My friend who bought it before me also commented that she had to use a lot of product to get an even coverage.

I used this for about a week and then SHOCK HORROR realised that the bottom of the container had started to show through because I had had to use so much product and it was running out so quickly (also happened to my friend). Then I felt I had to eke it out and not use so much because it's so expensive, which meant it didn't look so good.

If it came in a container twice the size and cost half as much, I might consider buying this again, but for a product that costs so much to buy and comes with such a small amount of foundation in it, it's not really justifiable.

I did NOT want to like "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," let alone LOVE it, due to its high price tag ($29). Unfortunately, I'm smitten.

I received this as a "mini" in the BeneFit "Tan About Town" value kit, along with a mini "Hoola" brozing powder and "BadGal" mascara.

I was pretty sure the mini would be too dark for me, as I have a light skin tone (never MAC color matched, so I can't help you there). So, I decided to test "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" on a day when I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house to see how it applies, type of coverage, and finish on my combination skin.

I began with moisturizer, then BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood" on my oily forehead, and Smashbox "Photo Finish Primer" on the rest of my face. I applied "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" with my synthetic flat-top buffer brush (which was somewhat challenging, as the diameter of the brush head is larger than the diameter of the mini "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," but I persevered!)

BeneFit advertises "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" as a "foundation faker" giving *sheer* coverage. Therefore, I think reviews scoring the product down for giving minimal coverage are unfair. The product did what it's designed to do; it evened out my skintone while leaving my skin feeling soft, with a demi-matte finish. I'm lucky - aside from a few broken capillaries on my cheeks and dark circles under my eyes, my skintone is fairly even. No age spots, yet....

It turned out the medium shade was just perfect for my skintone, BTW.

I found "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is buildable. After waiting a minute for the first layer to set, I was able to add a second layer to my cheeks - which covered those broken capillaries completely.

Next I covered my dark circles with BeneFit's "Erase Paste," swept some blusher on my cheeks, and finished off with a dusting of "Hoola" bronzing powder. Voila!

My skin looked fabulous. As I get older, I've begun to realize I get a more natural, radiant look by using thin layers of multiple products, instead of one application of a full-coverage product. With "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," I don't have to worry about the product settling into fine lines, or looking cakey.

"Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is an oil-free product. For those who claim it is "greasy," that's not oil...it's the silicones. If your skin can't tolerate 'cones, "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" may not be for you. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

I also would not apply this product with a sponge. "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is expensive, and sponges soak up far too much product. The synthetic flat-top buffer brush I used worked perfectly, with very little waste, and gave my skin an airbrushed finish.

Despite its cost, now that I've found my HG foundation, I can justify the cost because I know I can stop buying and trying other products that may not work as well, *and* I know I'll use up every last bit of this every time I buy it.

EDIT: While I still think "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" is a great foundation, cost is always a factor with me. I will gladly pay the price for any product that works IF no comparable product exists at a lower price-point that will give me the same results.

While browsing CVS the other day, I decided to just see if any of the drugstore brands offer a similar cream-to-powder foundation product. I came across the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation", which is offered in a shade (Medium Beige) that is a dupe to the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" in Medium. The price for the Milani is 8.29 at my CVS, which works out to 29.00/oz for the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" versus 85.00/oz for "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." I've tested the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" against the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" on my skin, and the Milani won. So, unless Milani discontinues the "Smooth Finish Foundation," I will be purchasing it from now on, instead of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." You may see my full review of "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" here on MakeupAlley.

I took off 1 lippie from my original review of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" ONLY because I found a product at a lower price-point I feel performs just as well as "Some Kind-a Gorgeous."

Top Rated BeneFit Cosmetics Products