October 2, 2014 | 1112 users online

Crème - BeneFit Cosmetics - Some Kind-A Gorgeous

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by jinglingjambo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Patchy, sits in pores, oily, no coverage, waste of money especially with the tiny amount you get.
It oxidises and gives a horrid dapple effect on my skin after an hour.
Wouldn't recommend it repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by simplification

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i really love benefit products, and this is my go-to foundation during cooler months (which is most of the year in chicago). the color works well with my medium-ish complexion and has never made me break out, but it does leave me a bit shiny when the temperature rises and i get more oily. i wear it with benefit's that gal(!) primer and a bit of sugarbomb blush, which gives me a healthy glow when the winter is dragging me down. i apply with a makeup sponge and never use the sponge included with the compact (i was never able to get a smooth finish with the included sponge. plus.... dragging the same sponge across my face 100 times sounds as gross as it is). totally recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by Oilyacneproneskin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the most natural foundation on me. Fortunately it is a perfect color match for my skin. It give me a natural even matte look. I love it but it runs out so quickly and it is so expensive. It starts off cream then sets matte/powdery; medium shade is great for my oily NC25/30 skin. I always have a backup.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by jenn8779

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh, wow did I hate this product! First, I have this issue with Benefit's "One shade fits all mentality" on their skin toned products. I am fair and this was not only way too dark (although the consultant swore it would work for me), it was also way too yellow/orange for my more neutral skin tone. You also have to pack this on to get any coverage even sheer/light and they don't give you much more than a "delux sample" amount of product for the price. All in all? Way too expensive for the result. Won't buy again and don't recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by BethMetal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product after a friend tried it out and raved about it to me. Always looking for the holy grail of foundations and ideally something in a compact that I can put on when I'm on the move or touch up at work, so this seemed perfect.

The packaging is very cute retro sixties style record with a handy little mirror and it comes with a sponge to apply. The first thing I noticed when I opened up the compact is that what seems like a chunky compact from the outside that would look to hold a decent amount of product is actually mostly the tray to hold the sponge, and the part that holds the product is only about 4mm deep so you don't get very much product at all. Not good for around £23.

When I put the product on with the sponge it felt like the sponge kind of sucked a lot of it up and that not much went onto my face. I'm quite fair and found that the shade was a bit orangey and would leave me with orangey patches unless i put a lot of the product on. Once on it did look nice (velvety matte kind of finish) but I found that it just didn't last. I have the type of skin that foundation doesn't stay on very easily but found that after a couple of hours I'd need to re-apply- even for me it wore off very quickly. My friend who bought it before me also commented that she had to use a lot of product to get an even coverage.

I used this for about a week and then SHOCK HORROR realised that the bottom of the container had started to show through because I had had to use so much product and it was running out so quickly (also happened to my friend). Then I felt I had to eke it out and not use so much because it's so expensive, which meant it didn't look so good.

If it came in a container twice the size and cost half as much, I might consider buying this again, but for a product that costs so much to buy and comes with such a small amount of foundation in it, it's not really justifiable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by TwirlyGirly1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I did NOT want to like "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," let alone LOVE it, due to its high price tag ($29). Unfortunately, I'm smitten.

I received this as a "mini" in the BeneFit "Tan About Town" value kit, along with a mini "Hoola" brozing powder and "BadGal" mascara.

I was pretty sure the mini would be too dark for me, as I have a light skin tone (never MAC color matched, so I can't help you there). So, I decided to test "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" on a day when I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house to see how it applies, type of coverage, and finish on my combination skin.

I began with moisturizer, then BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood" on my oily forehead, and Smashbox "Photo Finish Primer" on the rest of my face. I applied "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" with my synthetic flat-top buffer brush (which was somewhat challenging, as the diameter of the brush head is larger than the diameter of the mini "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," but I persevered!)

BeneFit advertises "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" as a "foundation faker" giving *sheer* coverage. Therefore, I think reviews scoring the product down for giving minimal coverage are unfair. The product did what it's designed to do; it evened out my skintone while leaving my skin feeling soft, with a demi-matte finish. I'm lucky - aside from a few broken capillaries on my cheeks and dark circles under my eyes, my skintone is fairly even. No age spots, yet....

It turned out the medium shade was just perfect for my skintone, BTW.

I found "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is buildable. After waiting a minute for the first layer to set, I was able to add a second layer to my cheeks - which covered those broken capillaries completely.

Next I covered my dark circles with BeneFit's "Erase Paste," swept some blusher on my cheeks, and finished off with a dusting of "Hoola" bronzing powder. Voila!

My skin looked fabulous. As I get older, I've begun to realize I get a more natural, radiant look by using thin layers of multiple products, instead of one application of a full-coverage product. With "Some Kind-A Gorgeous," I don't have to worry about the product settling into fine lines, or looking cakey.

"Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is an oil-free product. For those who claim it is "greasy," that's not oil...it's the silicones. If your skin can't tolerate 'cones, "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" may not be for you. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

I also would not apply this product with a sponge. "Some Kind-A Gorgeous" is expensive, and sponges soak up far too much product. The synthetic flat-top buffer brush I used worked perfectly, with very little waste, and gave my skin an airbrushed finish.

Despite its cost, now that I've found my HG foundation, I can justify the cost because I know I can stop buying and trying other products that may not work as well, *and* I know I'll use up every last bit of this every time I buy it.

EDIT: While I still think "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" is a great foundation, cost is always a factor with me. I will gladly pay the price for any product that works IF no comparable product exists at a lower price-point that will give me the same results.

While browsing CVS the other day, I decided to just see if any of the drugstore brands offer a similar cream-to-powder foundation product. I came across the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation", which is offered in a shade (Medium Beige) that is a dupe to the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" in Medium. The price for the Milani is 8.29 at my CVS, which works out to 29.00/oz for the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" versus 85.00/oz for "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." I've tested the "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" against the "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" on my skin, and the Milani won. So, unless Milani discontinues the "Smooth Finish Foundation," I will be purchasing it from now on, instead of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." You may see my full review of "Milani Smooth Finish Foundation" here on MakeupAlley.

I took off 1 lippie from my original review of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" ONLY because I found a product at a lower price-point I feel performs just as well as "Some Kind-a Gorgeous."

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by misterashley

This gives a sheer to medium coverage. It really depends on how much you use. Gives a sheer, velvety finish. Do not use if you have already applied foundation. Putting this over any other foundation makes your skin look cake a licious. For my combination skin, I get oily on my T zone and can get dry patches in other places around my mouth and nose. I would recommend cleansing your face and using an oil free moisturizer before application. I use a primer, it lasts longer. After primer try using a setting spray. It really helps. I've read reviews of this product saying it made skin either oily or dry. Possibly, depends on what skin type you have. I haven't really had a problem with this, because I've found ways to enhance it, and made it work. It looks natural and feels weightless. Maybe its not mind blowing but I find this product to be very good.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2012 9:36:00 PM More reviews by xannav

when i first tried this product it just felt very stange to me, its a cream but once you blend its a powder formula. i bought this because i had a sephora employee apply this and i fell in love and bought it right away it gave me a nice glow, and looked flawless. once i got home and i applied it the same way the associate did (with a sponge) it looked very dry and cakey, wasnt for me at all. i was quite sad because in the store i loved it. i returned it but i suggest trying it out first. it does have cute packaging though

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Mugglemakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was recommended to be by a Sephora employee. I have very pale combination skin that gets oily around my nose. I was expecting a nice match and good coverage from this foundation:

PROS:

- Adorable packaging
- Reasonably good match

CONS:

- Hard to apply
- Small amount of product for a lot of money
- Wears off quickly
- Not very good finish

Bottom line: Would not recommend or repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never used a cream foundation before and I did like it more then I thought I would. I got a kit that contained a miniature version in medium, it could be a bit more yellow toned to match my skintone but that's fine. I have dry skin and I like dewy foundation, this will give you a powdery finish once applied. I have to use a highlighter and fix+ to make it more dewy. It has light to medium coverage and does make the skin look good but I find it messy to apply (did it with fingers) and you have to use a lot off product. This is not bad but I prefer a liquid foundation that gives my skin a healthy glow.