Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

3.7

Active: Benzoyl Peroxide (10%) Inactive: Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Zinc Lactate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Menthol, Fragrance, Potassium Polyphosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Carbomer

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I dont know if its just me, but this product broke me out SO badly!
this is my first BP cleanser so maybe it's just the fact that I may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide but my skin is not sensitive at all, and even as I applied this my skin burned and itched like never before.
horribly disappointed. will probably pass this on to one of my girlfriends who love BP cleansers.

I have been using another product that contained salicylic acid to prevent any breakouts, but found that is was not working to my liking. I decided to try a product that contained benzoyl peroxide instead and found the continuous cleanser to be one of the only ones at my drugstore that contained BP. I have normal skin and at first the cleanser made by skin really dry, using it once a day before bed. When I noticed this, I started using a really moisturizing cream with it, and within a week, my dry patches went away. It has really cleared up my skin and I continue to use it once before bed. Don't give up on this product if it dries out your skin because your skin is adjusting to the 5% benzoyl peroxide which is a strong acne medication.

on 2/8/2012 5:40:00 PM

I updated my rating to a 5. I've been using this for a while now, and my skin looks really good. I haven't had any break outs, not even during high stress or TOM. I'm not sure if it's the Persa-Gel or this or both, but I'm not changing unless my skin freaks out.

I'm very happy with this product. I'm using it in combination with Pond's to help prevent break outs and not dry out my skin.

I haven't found this drying, however I avoid my eye area: anything from the top of my eyebrows to the cheek bones. And I use this very sparingly. It says on the package that dryness may occur, and I wanted to err on the side of caution.

I am able to use it twice a day, once before bed and in the morning after my workout. In the morning, washing off my sweaty, grimy face this feels incredible. Tingly and refreshing.

I will most likely repurchase unless I find something even better.

on 2/7/2012 6:21:00 AM

I have been using this for several years now, after I decided that Proactiv was too expensive and started looking for alternatives (I used Proactiv for probably 10 years). This wash works better on my combination skin than Proactiv. The only downside is that my skin is a bit dry, so I need to use moisturizer every day.
I recently tried to eliminate Benzoyl Peroxide and SLS from my face cleansing routine, hoping that since I'm now 25 I wouldn't need it anymore, and I think the SLS is what makes my face so dry. After about a month of washing my face with Tea Tree face wash from Trader Joe's I started breaking out horribly, mostly concentrated on my forehead and chin. It was even worse than when I was a teenager! It was probably something in the Tea Tree product, (maybe not Tea Tree as pure tea tree oil helped make some of them go away). I tried some Salicylic Acid products but the horrible acne persisted for a couple of weeks.
I finally gave in and resumed using the Continuous Control Acne Cleanser and my skin is quickly returning to normal, which means I usually have a couple small pimples all the time but nothing major. I still give it 4 stars because it uses SLS, which I think it would be much better without, and probably result in less of a drying effect on the skin.

on 1/25/2012 11:39:00 PM

I don't have acne, but I remember using this for some reason (I think I got it mistaken for something else). About 2 minutes after I washed my face with this, my face was on fire. The skin on my face started turning red, dry, flakey, itchy, & just irritated. I was in shock & I was trying to figure out why this happened. So, I grabbed the bottle of this & started reading it (something I should've done before putting this on my face). I realized for starters it was for acne which I don't have, & it contained a very high amount of benzyol peroxide....which I'm highly allergic to. This allergic reaction lasted for over a week. Throughout my whole vacation. Even if I had acne, I would never use this in a million years. People with sensitive skin....stay away from this.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Sadly, this didn't work for me :/ I didn't find it as overly drying as everyone said; I have oily skin

I don't even know if this classifies as a "breakout", but this product gave me a small whitehead on my cheek and forehead and two small pimples near my chin. It wasn't terrible, and I have them treated, they are gone now, but I wasn't thrilled either.

I'm not sure, but I think this cleanser is mainly for people with moderate to severe acne. I thinkkkk. Since theres 10% benzoyl peroxide and all. I really wanted this to work :/

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is really strong and I learned th perils of overwashing the hard way. Even though I only washed my face twice a day, I was using this both morning and night. I couldn't figure out why that would be making my skin worse and then I did a google search. Using something like this too often strips away your skin's protective outer layer and so it's more vulnerable to, well, everything--not to mention this stuff dries your face out something terrible. I have combination (mostly oily skin) and my entire face felt dry. In turn, it forced me to moisturize which my dermatologist told me is bad for oily skin. (Acne is caused by excess oil so why would you want to have to put on a thick moisturizer which will in turn make your face more greasy??). Overwashing and overexfoliating (a whole different issue--stupid olay pro x brush...) and using salicylic acid (which I'm allergic to) has really messed up my skin. Not only have I broken out more, but my skin hurts. A LOT. I can't wear makeup at all and showers are miserable. I've switched to only using cetaphil gentle cleanser. I thought the more products, the faster my acne will clear and that is completely wrong.,, learn from me and use this AT THE MOST once every 2 days.

Anyways, sorry about that but I wish I'd had that advice because I'm now facing at least 2 weeks before I can wear makeup and a month before my face is back to what it should be.

Now, the great thing about this product is that when it's used correctly, it cleans deep and does everything it claims--that's why I'm giving it five stars. I'll continue to use this 2 or 3 times a week after I've let my skin heal. Please don't be scared to use this product just be scared of what can happen if you over do it. Too much of anything is never good and this is no exception.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Works really well my blemishes dissapeared the next morning. If I use more than 3 times a week it dries my skin out

on 12/12/2011 11:51:00 PM

I used this in a pinch at my boyfriends when I forgot my cleanser at home. Every time I use it, any little spots I have magically disappear, bigger ones significantly shrink. I never put much stock in cleansers clearing your skin since the ingredients aren't on long enough, but somehow, this works. However, my sensitive skin does *not* like this. IDK if it doesn't like BP, or there is a different ingredient in this it doesn't like. If I use it too often, I get an itchy, dry rash on random areas of my face. It works so well for blemishes however, that I will continue to use it maybe once a week or as needed. I can tolerate using it that sporadically. One use doesn't dry my skin out or give me the rash, just leaves a pleasant tingly feeling.

Pros:
Works amazingly well on blemishes.

Cons:
Can't use very often if your skin is like mine
Extreme discomfort/burning if you get it in your eye. Be very careful.

on 12/5/2011 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like this cleanser for my acne prone skin. BP seems like its the only medication that works well for my acne or at least quickly, and I like fast results! It does dry out your skin so I only use it once a day and when my breakouts are clear I just use a gentle face cleanser. But it has really helped to clear up my skin when other products could not.