L'Oreal HiP Bright Duo - Flamboyant #538

3.4

on 1/20/2009 5:06:00 PM

I have 12 of the HIP duos, i love all of them but this one is absolutely my favorite. I used UDPP and both colors popped like crazy. Somewhere always seems to be having a buy one get one free sale on HIP produts. This purple, along with the reckless due are the best lower end purples i've found. way better than nyx.

on 1/11/2009 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful colours, purple is very vibrant over a primer and yellow is beautiful but does not show up as vibrantly as in the pan. Used over primer lasts much longer then by itself (I recommend UDPP if you want it to be vibrant and MAC pp if you want it to be toned down but visible.)

on 12/27/2008 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

+the gold looks like it was taken directly from the poled of some kind of exotic flower!
+the purple is a nice shad
+awesome color combo that normally wouldn't see
+last a reasonable amount of time, the purple fads fast
-purple does not pop much, golds not gold enough

i think its awesome, don't last long though

This is one of my favorite drugstore eyeshadows. If you're on a budget and crave the color intensity of MAC eyeshadows, L'Oreal HIP is for you. The gold and purple shades in Flamboyant are very gorgeous. The gold shade has a lovely yellow shade and is very pigmented (1-2 swipes should do it). In addition, it is not chalky at all and what you see in the compact is what you get on your eyelid. However, I took off one lippie for the matte purple shade. It is not pigmented at all and it is very chalky. In my opinion, I think the matte shades in all the L'Oreal Hip Bright Shadow Duos are chalky and not pigmented. I don't have this problem with the HIP Concentrated Shadow Duos. However, believe it or not, you can get the matte shades in the HIP Bright Shadow Duo to show up on your eyelids. You need to use several easy techniques to make the matte purple shade pigmented:

1). First, use an eyeshadow primer (I either use L'Oreal Color Eyeshadow Extender, Urban Decay Primer Potion, or Too Faced Shadow Insurance. If you don't have these, you can use concealer).
2). After applying your eyeshadow primer, apply a cream eyeshadow base (you don't have to do this but this allows your eyeshadows to cling to a sticky base). I like to use a beige tone or purple tone cream eyeshadow. It depends on your preference but either way, cream eyeshadows enhance the color of powder eyeshadows. (You can use Revlon Illuminance cream eyeshadows or any cream eyeshadow you have.)
3). Wet an eyeshadow brush. I like to use a synthetic brush because it doesn't get flimsy like a natural hair eyeshadow brush. You can also use a concealer brush since most of them are synthetic. After wetting your eyeshadow brush, wipe the excess off, and then pick up color from the matte purple shade. Apply it on your eyelids and voila..you will have the lovely matte purple shade that you see in the compact. Try the techniques out and see it if works for you! It certainly works for me. Good Luck! :-) btw, the cheapest price for the HIP eyeshadows are at Wal-Mart. However, Rite Aid, CVS, and Wal-Greens usually have Buy One Get One Free deals on L'Oreal HIP products so keep an eye out for those great deals!

on 12/21/2008 6:07:00 PM

I was very disapointed with this product. The purple takes many applications and fades through out the day. I would never buy this again.

on 12/16/2008 2:48:00 PM

I gave this a two lippy only because the gold does have a pretty sheen to it. I got this for the purple, and I was very disappointed with it. It had almost zero pigmentation to it and wasn't smooth at all. In fact I found it to be stuttery on my brush and quite chalky. The gold is a bit nicer. Smooth and silky. But neither has any real staying power when it comes right down to it. Shame really, I was expecting a bold rush of color.

on 12/14/2008 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS EYESHADOW. I used it once and the colors are SO SO vibrant. The way the colors bring out green eyes is awesome. The gold is SO vibrant and perfect for cleopatra kinda eyes. I LOVE IT! And the purple is like a royal pillow and has a satiny finish. It is my new favorite eyeshadow and for $6, you can't beat it.

on 12/7/2008 7:38:00 PM

I have three hip shadows and i love them. This one is my favorite. I love the colors together. I have to omit, they don't last unless you have a primer, but the colors are very vibrant and for the price this is a great shadow.

on 11/24/2008 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I would have REALLY liked this if the purple wasn't matte, and it doesn't really show up on my skin either. The yellow is really pretty though. I'm kinda disappointed because I bought the duo for the purple.

on 11/18/2008 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I find it so hard to find a yellow like this one. It's amazing. I don't really like the purple, but the yellow makes up for it.