L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

this is my HG mascara. i have yet to find a better drugstore mascara. this makes my lashes longer and darker. i have to stress the importance of buying the WATERPROOF one, the regular one does not have the same effect! I dont know why, but the non-waterproof one just doesnt work, the WATERPROOF carbon black is awesome though, i highly recommend! p.s. i read kim kardashian's makeup artist uses this for her long lashes

on 2/3/2014 2:14:00 AM

I like this mascara because it gives my lashes good volume and is a very pigmented black. I don't like the clumping and smudging after an hour or two. It doesn't lengthen or separate lashes well. I have short straight forward down lashes btw.

on 1/22/2014 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy grail product for me. It really does volumize my lashes. The only negative I could say about this product is I wish the brush was a bit smaller. I find it clumps sometimes if I'm not careful. I like to layer my mascara and when I do with this my eye lashes are thick and long and I honestly get asked all the time if my lashes are fake lol. LOVE IT!!! Lately I have been usine L'oreal Telescopic Mascara to help seperate the lashes and then I go over it with Voluminous and that is the ultimate combo!

on 1/8/2014 5:16:00 AM

This product is 2.5/5 for me. It volumized my lashes and somewhat lengthened them but it smudges really badly. I don't know why it does in comparison to the regular loreal voluminous. It also didn't hold my curl well.

This product just wasn't what I expected. I have normal length, but thin lashes that are very stick straight. I curl them with my curling wand before any application of mascara and if it's a good mascara it usually holds my curl, but with this mascara (although I bought it waterproof) it just didn't hold a curl at all. In fact, this mascara made my lashes look really wet and it weighed them down a lot. I'm sure it would work well with thicker longer lashes though, but unfortunately this product is NOT for me!

I only bought this mascara because it was on sale and I wanted to experiment with mascaras. I bought it for around $4.50, but usually it's $8 which is standard for a drug store brand I believe.

The formula is pretty wet--I'm assuming that it works well for people with naturally long and curly lashes. But for mine (which are sparse and grow straight downwards), it didn't do much at all. I spent around 5-7 minutes laboring to get the mascara to possibly hold a curl, but after a minute or two my lashes would just come back down again, even after several coats. After a while they just started to look like spider lashes, so I gave up. The mascara doesn't do much on its own, but if I layer it over a drier formula, it does make my lashes look a bit thicker. However, it doesn't make THAT much of a difference.

As for the packaging...pretty simple and standard. Not pretty. I'm not complaining though, I really don't need a pretty package for something that's supposed to do another job.

on 12/31/2013 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is a little better than average on my curly lashes and oily lids. It runs a little in the summer, but I'm willing to tolerate it when I can't splurge on my HG Diorshow Blackout. This is the blackest black I've been able to find at the drugstore. The only other negative is that the lettering on the tube wears away, but by then it is close enough to replace by date that it doesn't matter.

on 12/27/2013 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am an HE mascara girl and only rarely use DS brands. I find DS brands almost always pale in comparison to HE as, among other things, they are never black enough. Well, Voluminous is one of the few DS brands that I do like and since I'm a sucker for really black mascaras, I had to try L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black. I wanted to love it so I could stop having to spend extra $ on HE mascaras but it just didn't cut it for me. It is very black, I'll give it that, but it's also very wet & shiny. I suspect as it ages, it dries up and is less wet & shiny but I couldn't stand it long enough to find out. I returned it. I gave it 3 lippies because the brush is great (big, traditional, bristle brush) and it is a truly deep, black mascara. Too wet and messy for me though.

on 12/26/2013 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love to try new mascaras and this one has been on the top of my To Try List. Yes, this is as it claims -- very carbon black. It darkens my lashes well. It does give volume, not length. I find that it's kind of clumpy and I have to wipe excess product on the back of my hand before applying. I don't mind doing this, but honestly -- I'd rather use my Jordana Best Lash Extreme to get these same results PLUS length, for less money. So, this is a nice mascara, but not one I'll be repurchasing.

on 11/29/2013 5:31:00 PM

I have:
-oily eyelids
-straight, droopy lashes
-short, somewhat average thick lashes
-lashes usually won't hold curl

Pros
-thickens lashes without clumps
-can easily be build up
-doesn't smudge
-doesn't flake, unless I rub my eyes
-builds volume nicely
-Comes off with soap and water
-really black

Cons
-doesn't hold curl too well
-brush picks up a bit too much product

I wanted a mascara that would hold a curl, be really pigmented and give me noticeable volume, and this mascara worked pretty well. So far this is my HG mascara, though I sometimes use Jordana Best Lash Extreme. But I do prefer this mascara so much more. It would be perfect if it managed to hold a curl itself without the help of a waterproof mascara.

Video Reviews & Tutorials