September 22, 2014 | 1877 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Heard about this and saw this around for years...only got to buying it now. Mainly because I was lazy to wash it every day.

I have a couple of foundations that don't work well for me (sinking into pores) and I thought that I would give it a try. In fact, I was going to bin my Becca Matte Skin Shine Proof Foundation because it looked awful whether I used fingers or foundation brushes. It just sank into my pores immediately after application. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't happen when I used my Beauty Blender. In fact the foundation looked pretty decent and lasted more than 12 hours on me looking just fine.

Pros:
- Natural coverage. This is going to be a con if you want heavy coverage. You can layer your foundation but it might take a longer time to apply.
- No brush streaks, foundation looks smooth
- Can be washed quickly (<2 min) with the solid beauty blender soap. I bought mine in a set and the soap is good, it doesn't turn icky if you drain it out properly.
- The sharper side is good for edges of the nose etc. It really blends the foundation out in these places
- Foundation doesn't settle into pores.

Cons:
- Have to wash it after every use or foundation might stain it
- Have to soak it in water and squeeze it out before using...time consuming for me as I have to run to the toilet to do that D-:
- I use more foundation than usual. After all, it's a sponge, it soaks up some foundation in the process. For me, roughly half a pump more as compared to using brushes
- Won't last as long as a brush, has to be replaced
- Takes longer for me to blend my foundation as compared to using a brush.

I really do like this despite the fact that it takes longer for me to apply my make up in the morning. If I'm in a rush, I would choose to use my regular brushes though. However, if you have a foundation you don't like, perhaps you could try using a beauty blender as an alternative form of application. I have heard of the pink beauty blender bleeding color when washed but my black one has held up just fine.l would repurchase this for sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

It's way over priced, but it is really good. Sadly, the dupes are too hard and not absorbent enough.. The whole point, is the way it puffs up and is soft it is. Then you squeeze out as much water as you can, so it's barely damp. If it's too wet or you put toomuch foundation on at once, it can end up looking patchy Dupes seem to feel too wet and too hard. I like this for thick creams and bbs that need thinning out. You just lightly dab, so hopefully I am not rubbing too much sunscreen off, nor am I rubbing my dry skin too much. Kabuki brushes also apply a nice thin layer too, but they feel harsher on the skin. Some bbs are cream fdns are so thick, I had to rub them on the back of my hand to soften them up, before applying. I don't have to do that with this. This works fast too. I like using thicker, full coverage cream foundations, but sheering them a bit. I don't know how this work with a thin liquid. Nor sure if this works as well with thin, sheerer liquid foundations. If your foundation dries too fast this will help. Fingers do work great and damp fingers (holding this keeps them just a little damp) sometimes work best. I often apply foundation with my fingers to the face (as there is less waste) and rub it in. Then I use this to buff it a little bit. This is expensive and not needed, but if I could only have one tool for applying liquid foundation, it be this.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/7/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by kwb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So, having dry skin, the only application technique I was ever really able to get away with was my fingers. Brushes are just awful in my opinion, and way way too heavy coverage, and I'd never tried just the cheap sponges because...well that's what I had fingers for. I've never been a big foundation person ANYWAYS, I find it makes my skin look awful (and I've tried everything from drugstore to high end, including primers, mixing with moisturizer, I do moisturize and exfoliate, it just never looked good, and if it did, it lasted maybe an hour), but I like it, because it *can* look more natural than concealer, and lets the skin breathe more. So I figured with this, I could finally wear foundation without caking, flaking, or melting off my face.
Nope, nope, nope. I don't know why I expected this to work, but it just doesn't. I followed several tutorials to the tee, and it still looked like wet, patchy makeup. Which then looked dry and patchy in about 15 minutes. Concealer before foundation? Oh, lets just completely take off all the concealer you just put on. Foundation before concealer? Let's do the same! And yes, I waited for the layers to dry and I tried it a million different ways, and bottom line, is it's just a sponge. Yes it's feels nice, it's pretty, but is it worth 20-30$? Hell no!
I found out just a couple of days ago that I can use it dry for my concealer (I gave up foundation again), and it looks a smidge better than when I use my fingers, but again, not worth the money. I could probably have the same effect with a cheap bag of makeup sponges, and at least that way I can throw them out every couple of uses so I don't have a cesspool of bacteria being bounced on my face. Good thing I didn't fall for the cleanser too.
Last thing, it soaked up a crrrraaazzzyyyyy amount of my foundation. I usually need 1 full pump of liquid foundation to ENTIRELY cover my face...that's even with some left over. This? This took 5 pumps! What the heck is that about! So not only did I waste money on a 25$ sponge, I wasted huge amounts of product, some of which is really expensive.
I will keep it and use dry for my concealer, but I will most certainly not repurchase. Am I the only one who is bitter about being duped into buying a product way over marketed and over priced? I hope not, cause I feel pretty darn stupid.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2014 11:12:00 AM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried some of Beauty Blender dupes (CVS, Target, RT, Sephora brand) and was never overly impressed. I watched a lot of videos on application processes and read reviews on tons of fakes. The other day I was in the middle of a giant Sephora shopping spree and tossed the Beauty Blender in their mid-way, thinking that I'd spent at least $20 on fakes trying to like them, I might as well spend the $20 on the real thing and see how it compares. There really isn't a comparison. None of the dupes feel this soft or are this lightly squishy. None of them expand as much as the real one when when. Finally, none of them give me close to the look that the real Beauty Blender does. My MAC foundation looks invisible on my skin but still covers all my redness and acne, which is pretty much a miracle. I like MAC but they aren't exactly known for the natural look. I soak it til it expands, squeeze out the water, then roll it up in a hand towel and press it. Then I put my foundation on the back of my hand and dip the fat end of the Beauty Blender in the makeup and just dab/bounce it all over my face. I also used the pointy end with my MAC concealer under my eyes, over Benefit's Stay Don't Stray, and the near disappearance of my dark circles is another miracle. Again I put the concealer on my hand, dip the pointy end in this time, and just dab/bounce it all over my underye area.

I don't think it's overpriced. I've spent well over $20 on nice brushes and I've only liked one of them even remotely as much as the Beauty Blender. I do have to use more product which is the only drawback. I thought I'd use less given that the point of getting the Beauty Blender wet is that it doesn't absorb as much of your makeup as a brush, but I had to use 2 pumps of my foundation where I normally use one or just under one pump. I did NOT need the extra pump for more coverage over redness, I simply needed another pump just to hit the 2nd half of my face. I didn't find myself going over the same spot more than once for coverage but I still needed a 2nd pump.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by rockwellpj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I've bought about 5 beauty blenders. (That should tell you how this review is gonna go..)
LOVE IT! Yes it is roughly $20 at Sephora - which is expensive for a sponge. But hey Sigma beauty bruses are about the same price so I don't mind too much. You get it damp and bam, makes your foundation look flawless and less cakey (as oppose to using a brush). I do wanna try the Real Techniques version because it's way cheaper (less than 10 bucks) and has a flat side!! (which i love wish the bb had).

I will keep repurchasing and always make sure one is in my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:09:00 PM More reviews by sl40

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

my daughter picked this up for my birthday and this is the best thing for blending my cream blush. it looks natural and lasts all day

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by molliebeckman

I love and use my beauty blender every single day. I find that I can build up a good amount of coverage over my acne-prone skin, but still makes my foundation look natural. Overall it's a wonderful product and I would recommend it to anyone who can bear the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by mariazorina

was hesitating whether to buy this or not since it's kinda on a pricey side but let me tell this: it's amAzing make up application is so much easier now and it give it such a flawless look loving it!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:29:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

I would definitely recommend this for a natural look and for great coverage.

In my own experience, I've actually used less bb cream overall since the beautyblender enables a larger coverage area compared to a brush. With the brush I would feel that some areas didn't have enough coverage, and thus use more bb cream. But with the beautyblender, I feel that I can cover more areas of my face for less, possibly because it blends everything evenly and provides a very natural finish. However, overall I found that it did take a lot longer with the beautyblender than a brush, due to the size of the sponge, pouncing takes longer than swirling a brush on your face and it takes some maneuvering to pounce the product into hard to reach places..

On the other hand, I use more loose powder with the beauty blender as when i dab the beautyblender into the loose powder it would take a lot with it. With the brush, I could just tap the some powder back into the container, but with the beautyblender, I find it quite difficult to dislodge loose powder from the sponge.

But, I do very much like the natural coverage of the beautyblender that a brush just cannot achieve. With a brush I always find that I end up with not enough or too heavy a coverage, resulting in a caked on appearance. But the beautyblender provides a flawless natural coverage to the point where it looks like I don't have any make-up on at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by avghuman

Like seriously? This thing is a godsent. it's great for everyday medium coverage. I use it with both mineral and liquid foundation. I still use brushes for blush, etc. Never jas my makeup looked so good! I clean this as much as I can. I sterilize and get the makeup out with antibacterial soap. I then microwave it in an inch of hot water for 30 seconds to get all thr bacteria out. I'll be beautyblending for a long time to come.