The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil Face Wash

3.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Glycerin (Humectant), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate (Viscosity Modifier), Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Alcohol Denat. (Solvent/Diluent), Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil (Natural Additive), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Allantoin (Skin Soothing Agent), Polyquaternium-10 (Hair Conditioner), Sodium Salicylate (Preservative), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Yellow 5 (Colour), Blue 1 (Colour).

on 12/19/2013 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have been using this face wash exclusively for over 5 years, tried a few others before but I've always come back to it!

I have quite oily skin so I need a face wash that can help control that. This stuff works, and it also smells great! Another upside is that it doesn't have salicylic acid in it. The majority of face washes for oily/acne prone skin contain salicylic acid, which is great and all, but I prefer to spot treat with it since it can be extremely drying. Tea tree oil can be drying, however, with my skin it's just what I need, it keeps a nice balance, I do get oily during the day, but it's not nearly as bad as not washing my face, and I have zero dry patches on my face.

This face wash is not for everyone, like I said before, tea tree oil can be very drying. For combination skin I'd honestly recommend mixing it with another facial wash, or only using it during breakouts. If you do experience a lot of dryness.

I've used it for years though, the formula has changed a bit, but it's still amazing. It's also quite affordable, since The Body Shop frequently has those buy 3 get 2 free sales, and other sales of that sort.

If you have oily skin, give this a try. If you have any issues with dryness, I suggest you give this product a pass. If you have combination skin, use with caution or dilute it to avoid dry patches.

on 11/16/2013 10:47:00 AM

This is my HG of face washes. I have acne prone oily skin, and this wash clears my skin up like nothing else. I have been using it continually for around 6 months. The cost is very reasonably, and a bottle will last between 1 and 2 months. Highly recommend this, even for the cost you should give it a go!

on 11/11/2013 4:28:00 PM

I bought this product about a week ago and I love it. Before then I had resorted to trying all-natural to banish my adult acne (honey face masks, exfoliating with sugar, washing at night with plain warm water) with the exception of Simple face wipes to take off my makeup. However, after I discovered that my breakouts were at least partially due to my Illamasqua foundation and switched to mineral foundation, I decided to renovate my skincare regime too and went for this along with Body Shop's Vitamin E oil.

The first night, I was a little anxious about it as I noticed it contained salicylic acid, which wasn't something I had used before and I didn't know much about how it worked. It didn't seem to irritate my skin, which I took as a good sign, so I washed it off, applied the vitamin E oil and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't help noticing that my girlfriend kept staring at me. I eventually asked what was wrong and she said-- "Nothing, you just look so pretty. I can't believe it." Curious, I went to the mirror, and I was startled to see that my skin hadn't looked so good since I left my mid-teens. The pimples I hadn't extracted were gone, and the ones I had were almost completely healed. My pores had shrunk and my skin looked even, fresh, and glowing.

My only complaint is that my skin has become a little more sensitive since I started using this. I'm not surprised since I already have sensitive skin to start with, but once my skin has completely cleared up I think I'm going to limit my use of this cleanser to a couple of nights a week and find something a bit more natural and gentle for the rest of the week. However, I think this is the best product I've found so far for my acne and general skintone, and I'm excited to see the long-term improvements using a product with salicylic acid will have on my hyperpigmentation and pores.

on 11/3/2013 12:56:00 PM

The product itself was awful for me, and my younger 14 year old sister who struggles with severe acne. I only have random breakouts and this cleanser turned them from random into a constant, massive breakout that took me months to recover from after stopping use. I'm sure it works well for alot of people, tea tree being healing and all, but this def wasn't good for my 23 year old skin, or my sisters 14 year old skin, which was also made worse.

on 10/26/2013 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I found this product harsh on my skin, the sent was also very overpowering and made my eyes water badly! sadly couldn't make myself finish it, it was that bad!!

on 10/25/2013 1:09:00 AM

This is my holy grail of face washes. I used to use The Body Shop's Aloe line for my sensitive skin, and while it worked for the redness, flakiness, and stinging, I would get hormonal acne once a month. Usually one painful, cystic lump on my chin or cheeks. So I figured I'd try this when it came on sale. It didn't blow me away, at first. I'm not a huge fan of the smell of tea tree oil, but it is supposed to have acne clearing properties. And it totally does! I started using this at the onset of the hormonal acne, and it completely lessened the duration and pain. I use this with a clarisonic knock-off, and I've been using it this way for 3 months - not a single acne break-out. I couple this with Neutrogena high SPF facial sunscreen for day, and The Body Shop Aloe Vera night cream. My skin is clear and soft. My only pet peeve with this product is it's packaging. The lid snaps off at the slightest provocation, which is true of their body wash containers as well.

on 10/23/2013 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

( lots of harsh chemicals,very few actual plant extracts). Burnt my skin a little...Didn't do anything for me.... Not as bad as some things i've tried, but still not good... tried it for about 4 months. My feelings about this product are neutral... I gave the rest to a friend of mine with tougher skin and she likes it. My best guy friend uses it and his skin looks great. I suppose it works differently for everyone. Sensitive skin people, not for you.

Price is o.k. Packaging is clean and functional. Travels well.

on 10/17/2013 9:46:00 PM

At a whopping 250ml size, this face wash is worth the extra dollar- it lasts about 3-4 months, even 6 if you rarely use it (once a day), after using this wash for about 3 months (only 1/4th left now boo hoo) i found that it helped prevent and fight acne, without drying the skin + a nice mint (menthol) feeling and a mediocre scent of tea tree (that you could or could not like, but i love it i think it smells fresh) although it isn't that "mighty" when it comes to stress-induced and pre-menstruation pimples, it helpe reduce it though. Currently my favorite face wash, especially consider that the packaging is nice and hygenic, it survived quite a few falls without breaking so thats good to know^^ absolutely reccomend for those suffering light acne & oily skin (it helps control oil too!)

on 10/17/2013 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

So I'm weird when it comes to this product (I also use the toner and day moisturizer) in the beginning it was GREAT. My face was smoother, it deep cleaned, I noticed my breakouts disappearing and I was in love. After reaching more than half way through the bottles I noticed a plateau and it wasn't "wow-ing" me anymore and small minor breakouts appeared. I will continue to finish the products but if my breakouts don't go away soon I will not re buy. But my face is still super soft, not drying at all (if you have oily skin like I do)

on 10/11/2013 10:58:00 PM

I've been using this and the Blemish Fade Night Lotion regularly for about 6 months, and I have to say it's probably one of the best things I've ever done for my skin! Before I started using this, I had sensitive, acne-prone skin. At any given time, I would have 4-5 pimples on my face, and even though they healed rather quickly, new ones would always spring up to take their place. I've tried numerous cleansers,spot treatments, salicylic acid cleansers and most recently the 3-Step set from Clinique, but none of them really improved my skin.
Then I started using this.

I got this and the night lotion in a sale at TBS in Brussels, and started using it. At first, I noticed that both products have a bit of an overpowering tea tree smell, and although I'm not usually sensitive to scents, this took a bit of getting used to. I also noticed that my skin felt noticeably drier after using both products, but since I have oily skin anyway, this didn't worry me too much. I kept using it for several weeks, and noticed a significant improvement in my skin. Now only about 2-3 pimples per week, and they never got as bad as they used to before I started using it. I kept using it, repurchasing both bottles when they ran out, and now my skin is so much better than before! Now the only time I really break out is before I'm about to get my period (ugh, hormones), or if I come home drunk and forget to take off my make-up before bed (happens more often than it should). I've since purchased a few other products from the tea tree line with varying degrees of success, but I will definitely keep purchasing these two!

This is definitely not for people with dry skin as it will dry your skin out even more. And if you're sensitive to smell, get ready, because the scent of the night lotion made my head hurt the first 2-3 times I used it. And TBS always has sales so even though this isn't the cheapest cleanser, you can probably get it for less than full price if you wait for a good sale :)

*Just a minor observation, when I ran out of my first bottle in Brussels, I bought my second one in Toronto. There was a very noticeable difference in consistency. The one I bought in Canada was more watery and didn't feel as "concentrated" as the one I got in Brussels (smell was not as strong and the sting when it gets into my eyes is not as bad). Now I hope this is just my imagination, but given that I went through that first huge bottle of facial wash in a span of 4-5 months, using it twice a day everyday, I have a pretty good idea of what it felt like. Despite this, my skin seems to love both formulas equally so, no complaints here so far!