December 18, 2014 | 1719 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Frost - Ricepaper

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by silverplum13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ricepaper may very well be my favorite Mac shadow. The color is just so versatile it's crazy. I use this for an all over lid color as well as a browbone and inner corner highlight. I personally don't think it's as frosty as people make it out to be. It blends beautifully as well. Ricepaper is just so easy, I reach for it CONSTANTLY! Ricepaper on the lid and brow bone with any darker color in the crease! Fool proof! How could you not love it?! You can do neutral looks and even dramatic looks with it. My personal favorite combo is to use Ricepaper on the lid, Deep Truth in the crease, and Carbon on the outer V. It's a classy dramatic look that's not over the top at all. I get compliments every time I wear this look. I will buy this again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by gunkfury

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've noticed that a lot of the negative reviews on this product was due to the reviewers' dissatisfaction with, get this, THE SHADE.

Before buying anything, especially expensive makeup, do your research, check out pictures, and if you don't have time to do those, it's not that difficult to swatch something first in the store. If you're ordering online, you're relying on YOUR judgment based on the pictures you're seeing. In any case, unless the product is horribly misrepresented on its official website, it is YOUR fault if you don't like the color you end up with. Companies and product developers are not gods. They cannot possibly predict which color will fit EACH and EVERY skin tone the people who order have.

YOU saw it. YOU judged it. YOU bought it.

Ricepaper is a frost finish. It is ridiculous to hate it because it's frosty. :|

When you swatch Ricepaper, it looks like a really pale yellowy gold. In fact, the pan register looks much the same way. Therefore, it is also ridiculous to hate it because it's pale. Or yellow. Or gold. :|

Now, about the shadow itself. It is well pigmented, smooth, and the miniscule shimmer in it that makes it frosty is infused into the product well enough that you don't get fall-out. This is a smooth shadow (unlike Carbon, ick!), but it is not the smoothest, butteriest shadow out there. It's not difficult to work with AT ALL, though. A few taps into it and you get just enough product on your fluffy brush to highlight your browbone and/or inner corners. Getting rougher with it using a stiffer brush (ooh, that sounded naughty) will definitely pack on the pale color on the lid.

If you're looking to flatter your skin tone, this is particularly great for warm undertones. I find that this shadow looks awesome with browns and golds. It's just subtle enough to compliment those shades without being totally ineffective.

Ricepaper is not so pale that it's white and chalky-looking, and it's definitely dark enough that the yellows in it WILL show up if you want them to.

The staying power is pretty standard. I've never really had to reapply this, but then again, of course, it's more difficult to notice fading with a pale color.

Though I find it very difficult to imagine that I would EVER hit pan, just because I have a ton of other pale eyeshadows and I love variety, I WOULD buy this again if I did indeed run out of it as it is one of the most underrated, gorgeous eyeshadows by MAC.

34 out of 47 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by HIYELLOW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had heard about RicePaper for years. I am NC25 (approximately) and a GGG. I LOVE MAC FemmeFi for the lid and the brow bone and I can work with Nylon even though it shimmers a bit. I really love Polished Ivory (very white and matte) as a highlighter and Vanilla pigment is great but it flashes gold. I saw a lady my complexion use RicePaper on the inner corner and I buy everything she suggests so I got this. I am shocked. I could have done completely without Ricepaper. It matches my eyelid-just slightly lighter-and as on reviewer mentioned, on the brow bone it flakes and looks blotchy and strange. So now I use it sparingly in the inner corner and prefer the other colors I have mentioned. I don't get the hype.

Edit: On a GGG, Ricepaper requires a light hand and finesse. I was using too much. A light swipe looks pretty. I will never repurchase though.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 3:16:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this, just got it yesterday! It's a perfect highlighter or for toning down a color on the lid. I have a warm yellow/olive but fair skintone and brown eyes- this is perfect for my complexion.

I'm wearing it today on my brow bone and inner eye corner with rubenesque as a base ( just on my lower lids). Tweet me on inside half of lid and amber lights on outer crease/V. Beautiful combo with the ricepaper!

I notice the reviewers who didn't like it have cool skintones. I think cooler tones would do much better with shroom. I tested that one yesterday but it was too pink on my skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

I think this is an odd color as it is way too shimmery and too pale for my skin. I am NC 30 and this looked really bad on my brow bone. It looked as if I had some kind of disease. On the inner corner of the eyes, it looks decent but for heaven sake, do we need to pay $15 and get that much product for such effect?

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by rinroo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to eyeshadow when i simply want a natural - "I'm awake" look.

I'm not a massive eyeshadow person *gasp! But i always feel i need a base layer on my lids.

Ricepaper has a lovely texture and applies like a dream, two sweeps is all it takes on my NW-20 skin to make me look as if i've had 12 hours sleep and i'm raring to tackle the day, even if i dont feel that way. I always have this eyeshadow on and often use it as a base layer to other colours.

The best part is, it doesn't crease.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I honestly am surprised at the outpouring of love over this shadow. It's only "ok" IMO, another one of those that requires a light hand and takes a bit of work for me to pull off (NC44). My one pan will last me forever, I rarely use it, it is just too frosty.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2010 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Lulu05

Beautiful color, I think it works really well with my NC40 skin. I was wearing shroom prior to this but now I can see that ricepaper is so much more flattering on me. I will definitely be buying this over and over! This color is very versatile too, which is always a plus!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2010 11:09:00 PM More reviews by bonneymiller

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this color!! Its a great highlighter!! For 10 years, my highlighter of choice was its much frostier and lighter cousin "Nylon" (which is still amazing!!) but I downgraded to a more subtle frost with plenty of shine - Ricepaper!! You can layer this color to be more frosty, so your eyes are more highlighted, or you can leave a subtle layer to catch in the light indoors. Either way, its a staple of my every day makeup looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by amyzon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ricepaper is a gorgeous yellow-beige frosty highlight shade. This is an amazing highlighter for women of color, but it is far too yellow for my NC15 skin if not completely blended out. If you are very fair and want to make this highlighter work for you, I would suggest applying a small amount of Ricepaper to the browbone area, and then popping Nylon right underneath the brow arch - the brightness of Nylon helps diffuse and blend the yellow in Ricepaper and they work together seamlessly. I love to use this shade when I'm wearing an otherwise matte eye look to add real punch to the browbone.