The Body Shop Satsuma Body Butter

3.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/28/2009 1:35:00 AM

UPDATE: Satsuma body butter is my new favorite body butter ~ Moringa was my favorite, but it's moved to second position. I have ordered almost every Satsuma SKU available. I am obsessed with this product...

I received a Satsuma gift set for X-Mas and the body butter smells DIVINE...When I first opened the body butter container, it smelled like Dreamsicles. I love the orange, citrus scent. It's long lasting, absorbs quickly and it makes my bedroom smell wonderful. Satsuma is running a close second to my favorite, Moringa. I am ordering the full size body butter tomorrow...I have almost used up the entire small size container since X-Mas.

Last but not least, be sure to rub excess body butter on the sleeves of your pajamas. You will be glad you did...

on 11/20/2009 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better reviews. I've used this for a couple of years and I'd say it's the best I've ever used. The smell is pretty strong in the pot. But with my body chemistry it fades into a nice fresh orange scent. I don't have dry skin at all, it's on the greasy side if anything. This dosn't leave me feeling sticky after.

My only real complaints are the packaging. I hate dipping my fingers into the pot. Also it seems to get icky really fast. It's not worth buying the big pot because it gets too gross to use before it's all gone. Then it's pretty expensive.

on 10/30/2009 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This smells amazing!!! I love the consistency of the product and how it packaged and how it works. Really great!

on 9/28/2009 4:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my body skin type!

What it Claims:
"An intensive creamy all-over body moisturizer, with hydrating, zesty and invigorating satsuma essential oil. It absorbs into the skin easily, helping to condition, soften and smooth the skin and helps prevent dryness."

Claims - True or False?
1) Absorbs easily: True. It absorbed into my skin relatively quickly.
2) Conditioning: False. Although it absorbs fast, it doesn't seem to hydrate my skin, which is not even very dry. I found that it seemed to make my skin MORE dry.

Packaging:
Great colour, simple design, and just overall fantastic aesthetics. Good labeling, basically what you will find from all TBS products.

Smell:
Hated it. I am fine with strong smells, but this one was just.. obnoxious. Maybe too tangy? I love the smell of oranges, but this one did not at all smell authentic. It was also a smell that bothered those around me.

Consistency:
Pretty liquidy/runny. Almost like a creamy gel? It feels very thin on the skin. Sinks in very fast. Because of this consistency, it has a tendency to be sticky. However, it doesn't even COMPARE to their regular squirt-bottle version, which is like using sugar dissolved in water as a lotion.

Ease of Use:
Because it is on the runnier side, I find it works better. It's easier to control because it isn't as thick, and it doesn't require hours of rubbing in.

Bang for your Buck:
Normally, the large ones are around 20 dollars. Simple solution? Get one of their cards. With it, I pay around $13.00 Canadian for the 200mL tub. Depending on how often you use it, it will last anywhere from a 3-6 months. Because they are on the smaller side, I advise buying something cheaper (as many cheap brands are just as effective) to use on a regular basis, such as before bed and after bathing, and keep the body butters from TBS for use on specific areas like hands, elbows and knees.

Final Consensus:
Bad smell, not very hydrating on my normal to dry skin, and just a very basic, average moisturizer. Not worth the money, as I can buy something better and cheaper. Not to mention that it tended to worsen small body zits, on areas like my arms and chest.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 9/1/2009 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Maybe I'm one of the very few, but I absolutely love this fragrance. It's not too strong on my skin at all. I love this whole line!

on 8/27/2009 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Received this as a gift, so I gave it a try. Unfortunately, I have nothing positive to report. Upon opening the jar it smelled quite ok, maybe a little sweet. But on my skin, this instantly became an overwhelming sickeningly artificial smelling experience. Satsuma on steroids. Very unpleasant, like a cheapo room freshener that you sometimes are forced to smell in public bathrooms. It also gave me a strong headache which does not happen often with fragrances. And on top of it all, it left a sticky feeling on my dry skin instead of sinking in, so that alone will keep me from even trying the other body butters that TBS offers. When I pass by one their stores I can smell this satsuma smell from 2 blocks away, and when someone wears this in an elevator it instantly makes me nauseous. So needless to mention, this is not for me.

on 8/24/2009 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Way to strong satsuma scent. :/ I never thought I wouldn't like this smell but when I got this body butter as I present I realised that this is really to heavy and it's kinda sticky too. I just don't like it. :/

on 7/3/2009 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I like this body butter! I think I am sensitive to strong smells but I dont find this smell overpowering or annoying (as with TBS coconut butter)
Love the texture! Moisturizes well as all TBC butters!

P.S. My boyfriend loves the smell too :)

on 6/27/2009 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was quite surprised at the reviews for this product, I must say. I went shopping and got it a few days ago with my boyfriend and a male friend and they both went nuts for it (which, to me, is always a good initial sign).

Satsuma is on the sweet side and I do agree that a little goes a long way, but I've received numerous compliments since purchasing it. I also have to disagree with other reviewers by saying that for a body butter this particular one absorbs quickly into the skin, rather than lingering on the surface and becoming oily or sticky.

The staying power of this product never ceases to amaze me. I wore it for about 9 hours straight, went to bed and it lingered until the morning. I feel that this scent may not be for everybody, but the consistency of the body butters from TBS is amazing.

This particular body butter is perfect for the spring or summer. The fresh citrus scent is sure to keep your energy up throughout your busy day.

I recommend using this alone, and without any perfumes or body sprays. Also, keep in mind that after smoothing it onto your skin, the fragrance will lessen and settle. Because the staying power of these products is amazing, I'd say test out a dime sized amount on your arms. Leave it on for about an hour and see how you feel.

Once this settles it is absolutely amazing!

on 5/21/2009 1:24:00 PM

When you smell this in store it is the loveliest smell of satsuma. You can't help falling in love. Sadly, once you get the tub home you realise that even the smallest of dabs on your wrists will he enough to make your whole room smell of satsuma. It is simply impossible to use as a body moisturiser because it smells so strongly. So, buy a small jar and use it as a perfume if you like the scent.

Me myself use the tub I have for my feet in the evenings. It does a wonderful job of making them all soft. But I think that in the future I will look for something that smells more neutral so it does not compete with my perfume.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products